or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Blu-ray & HD DVD › Blu-ray Players › OFFICIAL "HELP ME CHOOSE A PLAYER" THREAD: Can't decide? Start HERE.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

OFFICIAL "HELP ME CHOOSE A PLAYER" THREAD: Can't decide? Start HERE. - Page 458

post #13711 of 16454
Sony 770 is nice, but obsolete and loaded with features you won't use. The 320 is overkill too. But it's a nice player, and that's an excellent price. So the resale value should be good. Most don't care for the remote that comes with the 320.
post #13712 of 16454
alfa, the Panny 220 or Sony 590 (390 if you don't need 3D) are all you need.
post #13713 of 16454
Thanks for the help. So between the 220 and the 590 which starts quicker and which one looks better? My parents' Sony (unknown model) is really slow. And not responsive at all.
post #13714 of 16454
Both look about the same if you turn off all effects. The 220 starts faster.
post #13715 of 16454
load times between the sony 590 and panny 220 differ by 10-20s most of the time. negligible difference. you may not care about streaming now, but what about down the road. sony trumps panny on file formats too. and has rear usb.
post #13716 of 16454
I think I'll give the Sony a shot. I honestly don't see me needing it for anything since my HT already has an Apple Tv and a Mac Mini (free hulu, Plex server, etc...)
post #13717 of 16454
Selden thanks for your answer!

I have only 2 blue ray disk from Europe (France) that i would like to see (it's a live concert) as all my other blue ray disk are from here so i dont need a permanent region 2 change. What i dont understand is why the cheap blue ray player from my ex is playing that blue ray disk from france without problem while my Pioneer 95 cant... I'm thinking myabe an Oppo 83 or 93 might play it...
post #13718 of 16454
Quote:
Originally Posted by Albator View Post

Selden thanks for your answer!

I have only 2 blue ray disk from Europe (France) that i would like to see (it's a live concert) as all my other blue ray disk are from here so i dont need a permanent region 2 change. What i dont understand is why the cheap blue ray player from my ex is playing that blue ray disk from france without problem while my Pioneer 95 cant... I'm thinking myabe an Oppo 83 or 93 might play it...

The OPPOs are not region free for Blu-ray without a third party hardware modification.

-Bill
post #13719 of 16454
I haven't timed either player, but the load time does not seem much faster for my panny vs. my sony. The panny just seems average. I have no inclination to run a test at this point. PQ is great for both, so no complaints. smile.gif
post #13720 of 16454
Quote:
Originally Posted by Albator View Post

Selden thanks for your answer!

I have only 2 blue ray disk from Europe (France) that i would like to see (it's a live concert) as all my other blue ray disk are from here so i dont need a permanent region 2 change. What i dont understand is why the cheap blue ray player from my ex is playing that blue ray disk from france without problem while my Pioneer 95 cant... I'm thinking myabe an Oppo 83 or 93 might play it...

Another consideration: are you sure it's a region coding issue and not a matter of 50hz content? A Euro concert recorded on video might be 1080i50 which a lot of US players won't accept.

Do you get a "wrong region code" message when trying to play the disc?

-Bill
post #13721 of 16454
Albator,

Do check the Region coding on your French Blu-ray discs. Like Bill, I suspect they're "region free". Blu-rays use the letters A, B and C for regions, not 1-8 like on DVDs. If they're region free, somewhere on the packaging they'll have all three letters in a glyph looking like the picture below. If they're region-locked for Europe, they'll have only the letter B.
38
Sony and Panasonic players refuse to play 50Hz. BDs, even if they're Region Free. Sharp/Pioneer and Oppo players can play 50Hz BDs. Sharp players are much less expensive than Oppo, but don't have as many features.
post #13722 of 16454
Hey guys, Im looking for a new Bluray player. I recently discoverd how bad my player was when I watched a couple Blurays through my PS3 and saw how great they looked in comparison. All the grainyness seemed to disappear.

My current set is a Panasonic 50G20 and a PS3 via HDMI , but I'll be getting a Plasma TV, 60 or 65 inch GT50.

I dont know a whole lot about Bluray players, or AVRs. Really, I'm just looking for something with excellent PQ as I live in an apartment and surround sound is pretty much out of the question anyway so I'll more than likely be forced to use the TV speakers. I'd like to spend up to $500. Also, how much do you guys think the PQ would improve over PS3?

Also, forgot to mention. It needs to be a 3D player
Edited by showsjohn - 7/8/12 at 5:35pm
post #13723 of 16454
You should be able to find a good player for well under $150. A basic player will handle everything from Netflix streaming to Hulu to playing discs. Pic quality wouldn't improve by your spending hundreds more from everything I've read.
post #13724 of 16454
Quote:
Originally Posted by showsjohn View Post

Hey guys, Im looking for a new Bluray player. I recently discoverd how bad my player was when I watched a couple Blurays through my PS3 and saw how great they looked in comparison. All the grainyness seemed to disappear.

This is most likely due to the setup of the player, or of the HDMI input on your TV that it's connected to. (Assuming it's using a different input than the PS3)
Many players have processing that needs to be fine tuned or just turned off. TVs usually have completely separate setup on each HDMI input. If the player and PS3 are on different inputs on the TV, swap them around and compare again.
post #13725 of 16454
Quote:
Originally Posted by showsjohn View Post

Hey guys, Im looking for a new Bluray player. I recently discoverd how bad my player was when I watched a couple Blurays through my PS3 and saw how great they looked in comparison. All the grainyness seemed to disappear.



What were you comparing it to?
post #13726 of 16454
Hi folks. I'm in the market for a new player. Needs to do the following

1. Play mkv with dtshd and truehd audio from USB drive.
2. Decent set of steaming services preferably with amazon void and hbo go.
3. Fast interface/playback spin up.

Possible?

Thanks.
post #13727 of 16454
post #13728 of 16454
Quote:
Originally Posted by Latinoheat View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by showsjohn View Post

Hey guys, Im looking for a new Bluray player. I recently discoverd how bad my player was when I watched a couple Blurays through my PS3 and saw how great they looked in comparison. All the grainyness seemed to disappear.
What were you comparing it to?

sony bdp s370

I checked all the settings and they look fine, I even set them back to default. It just looks grainy in comparison to the PS3.
post #13729 of 16454
can someone recommend a great cheap blueray player ? I have a 1080p projector (hdmi) and an Anthem audio processor with no hdmi.

So that means I'd need something with digital/optical output and maybe 7.1 analog outputs.

I'd like netflix streaming and great dvd conversion. I only own about 10 BlueRay titles and about 900 SD DVD's.

currently I'm using a HTPC but right now it's not powering on. Looking at the Panasonic BDP500 any other to consider ?

Thanks,
Jose
post #13730 of 16454
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jose_L View Post

can someone recommend a great cheap blueray player ? I have a 1080p projector (hdmi) and an Anthem audio processor with no hdmi.
So that means I'd need something with digital/optical output and maybe 7.1 analog outputs.
I'd like netflix streaming and great dvd conversion. I only own about 10 BlueRay titles and about 900 SD DVD's.
currently I'm using a HTPC but right now it's not powering on. Looking at the Panasonic BDP500 any other to consider ?
Thanks,
Jose

The BDT 500 looks good, I'd use the analog outputs, that way you get the lossless codecs.
post #13731 of 16454
If you're willing to forgo the 7.1 analog audio outputs, the Sony S790 has a good reputation for its DVD upscaling options at about the same price as the Panasonic 500. The S590 has fewer upscaling options but is about half the cost of the other two. Both Sony players have both optical and coax digital audio outputs.
post #13732 of 16454
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jose_L View Post

can someone recommend a great cheap blueray player ? I have a 1080p projector (hdmi) and an Anthem audio processor with no hdmi.
So that means I'd need something with digital/optical output and maybe 7.1 analog outputs.
I'd like netflix streaming and great dvd conversion. I only own about 10 BlueRay titles and about 900 SD DVD's.
currently I'm using a HTPC but right now it's not powering on. Looking at the Panasonic BDP500 any other to consider ?
Thanks,
Jose

Which Anthem processor do you have?
post #13733 of 16454
About to pull the trigger on a Panny DMP-BDT220, but wanted some feedback first.

What I'm looking for:
Good blu ray playback (obviously)
Good DVD upconversion. This is key since I have a lot of DVD discs, and from what I can tell, the Panny is very good in this department, especially at this price range.
DTS Master Audio and Dolby TrueHD. My receiver can decode both, so as long as I can get the native audio to the receiver via HDMI (or optical/coax audio in a pinch), that should be good to go.

Things I don't care about:
Netflx - I have the newer appletv, so no need for streaming video on this unit
3D - TV has no 3D and I have no plans to upgrade.

The Panny is $115 at amazon, but I'm willing to pay more (within reason) if there's a significant bump in quality in the features I care about. However, from what I see here, the DMP-BDT220 compares favorably to the OPPO BDP-93 (or at least holds its own) at a fraction of the price. Am I missing anything?
post #13734 of 16454
Quote:
Originally Posted by JD NC View Post

About to pull the trigger on a Panny DMP-BDT220, but wanted some feedback first.
What I'm looking for:
Good blu ray playback (obviously)
Good DVD upconversion. This is key since I have a lot of DVD discs, and from what I can tell, the Panny is very good in this department, especially at this price range.
DTS Master Audio and Dolby TrueHD. My receiver can decode both, so as long as I can get the native audio to the receiver via HDMI (or optical/coax audio in a pinch), that should be good to go.
Things I don't care about:
Netflx - I have the newer appletv, so no need for streaming video on this unit
3D - TV has no 3D and I have no plans to upgrade.
The Panny is $115 at amazon, but I'm willing to pay more (within reason) if there's a significant bump in quality in the features I care about. However, from what I see here, the DMP-BDT220 compares favorably to the OPPO BDP-93 (or at least holds its own) at a fraction of the price. Am I missing anything?
Given your requirements, the 220 is a good choice for the price. But the 87 will do just as well for less. All you're paying extra for in the 220 is 3D, better streaming apps and a few useless gimmicks which you won't use.
post #13735 of 16454
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdavej View Post

Given your requirements, the 220 is a good choice for the price. But the 87 will do just as well for less. All you're paying extra for in the 220 is 3D, better streaming apps and a few useless gimmicks which you won't use.

Awesome, thanks. I will probably go with the 220, since it has more output options, in case I ever need to use it with a non-hdmi tv.
post #13736 of 16454
I am looking at replacing our DVD player. Our current DVD player has a USB port and we can play DivX files that way. I really like that feature and would like something that has that or even streaming from a network attached HD. We have a 42" 720p HDTV and probably won't upgrade that for a while, so even thought I won't be using a Blu-ray player to its full potential, I think that is the way to go.

My questions are:
- If we are considering Netflix, is it better to have that with the Blu-ray player or separate (Roku 2 or something like that)?
- If we got a Bluray player that can do 3D, does it matter that we don't have a 3D capable TV? Would the picture quality suffer?
- If we want to stream files from our home network, what format should we use? Is DivX not as popular anymore, I mainly see people talking about mkv files?
- If we want to stream files, is 802.11g good enough? Or will we have to upgrade to 802.11n?

Those are all the questions I can think of now. I have been looking at the Panasonic DMP-BDT220 but I really don't need the 3D capabilities. The other option is the Sony BDP-S390, which is around the same price. Are those too much for what I need? Could I get away with less?

Thanks for any help you can give.
post #13737 of 16454
Quote:
Originally Posted by joecarst View Post

I am looking at replacing our DVD player. Our current DVD player has a USB port and we can play DivX files that way. I really like that feature and would like something that has that or even streaming from a network attached HD. We have a 42" 720p HDTV and probably won't upgrade that for a while, so even thought I won't be using a Blu-ray player to its full potential, I think that is the way to go.
My questions are:
- If we are considering Netflix, is it better to have that with the Blu-ray player or separate (Roku 2 or something like that)?
- If we got a Bluray player that can do 3D, does it matter that we don't have a 3D capable TV? Would the picture quality suffer?
- If we want to stream files from our home network, what format should we use? Is DivX not as popular anymore, I mainly see people talking about mkv files?
- If we want to stream files, is 802.11g good enough? Or will we have to upgrade to 802.11n?
Those are all the questions I can think of now. I have been looking at the Panasonic DMP-BDT220 but I really don't need the 3D capabilities. The other option is the Sony BDP-S390, which is around the same price. Are those too much for what I need? Could I get away with less?
Thanks for any help you can give.
- Panny will not stream Divx (in the US without a hacked firmware or transcoding).
- G is generally fast enough for streaming if you have a strong signal.
- NF interface is better than Roku IMO.
- 3D is a non-issue. They all work fine on 2D TVs, no PQ issues whatsoever.
- Sony streams almost everything I throw at it. I did have to add ".mkv" to my .avi file names to get them to play Divx however. Panny streams virtually nothing. Wouldn't hurt to use mkv from this point forward, but there is no need to convert your existing files unless you just want to save space and future-proof.

Although panny recognizes network shares, it won't even recognize most of the files, especially divx. If it does play them, it's transcoding which means you're taking a big hit in PQ. Sony won't attach to network shares directly, but does work with DLNA. Just attach your network drive to your main PC and run a DLNA server on it. Serviio and sony's own home media server (based on Serviio) are free and work very well.

Former panasonic owner here (among several other brands) who absolutely loves his Sony 390's. If you peruse some of the owner threads you'll see many former panny owners who've made the switch to sony this year due to sony's superior DLNA support, far greater number of streaming apps, lack of bugs, etc.
post #13738 of 16454
I am looking for a player that does not have/is less likely to get a cinavia updated firmware. I have been ripping my disks to my server for years and have run into issues with Cinavia encoded films so i want to archive them and they won't play on my 4.20 PS3 (without major hassle).

It pretty much only needs to be able to play Cinavia encoded Blu Rays well and be 3d compatible.

Thanks
post #13739 of 16454
Quote:
Originally Posted by e30cabrio View Post

I am looking for a player that does not have/is less likely to get a cinavia updated firmware. I have been ripping my disks to my server for years and have run into issues with Cinavia encoded films so i want to archive them and they won't play on my 4.20 PS3 (without major hassle).

It pretty much only needs to be able to play Cinavia encoded Blu Rays well and be 3d compatible.

Thanks

OPPO has said their current line of players will never have Cinavia.

-Bill
post #13740 of 16454
Thanks, they are a bit pricey.

How about a LG BX580 or BD 590?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Blu-ray Players
AVS › AVS Forum › Blu-ray & HD DVD › Blu-ray Players › OFFICIAL "HELP ME CHOOSE A PLAYER" THREAD: Can't decide? Start HERE.