or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Blu-ray & HD DVD › Blu-ray Players › OFFICIAL "HELP ME CHOOSE A PLAYER" THREAD: Can't decide? Start HERE.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

OFFICIAL "HELP ME CHOOSE A PLAYER" THREAD: Can't decide? Start HERE. - Page 472

post #14131 of 16493
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff D View Post

I've seen a few comments on the newest line of sony players messing with the audio limit the play back from recordable media and I wouldn't like that. I have kids and most of the discs they use are the backups, I don't even trust my wife with the real disney media!

I think you are referring to Cinavia copy protection. My understanding is that all BD players released after 2/1/2012 are required to support this, so the only way to escape this is to buy an older model player without the technology and hope you don't ever need a firmware update that enables Cinavia, or to avoid Cinavia encoded content ( it's not on everything).

Some info:

http://www.verance.com/AdminSavR/news/news_item.php?news_id=66

I like the Sony players myself and own two BDP-S590s, but apparently you have to go back to the 2010 model year for Sony players without Cinavia.
post #14132 of 16493
AFAIK so far only Sony contents that use Cinavia.
post #14133 of 16493
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Susilo View Post

AFAIK so far only Sony contents that use Cinavia.
Warner, Fox and Universal also have implemented it in some productions. The list has been deleted from Wikipedia's current Cinavia article, but a previous revision can be seen at http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Cinavia&oldid=500667318
post #14134 of 16493
Quote:
Originally Posted by Selden Ball View Post

Warner, Fox and Universal also have implemented it in some productions. The list has been deleted from Wikipedia's current Cinavia article, but a previous revision can be seen at http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Cinavia&oldid=500667318

Although a few titles have been released with the cinavia infection by other studios, Sony is by far the major studio sending money to verance for modifying audio tracks to include cinavia.
This is probably the most useful link about cinavia infected titles and hardware at this time.
http://blog.dvdfab.com/cinavia-protection.html
post #14135 of 16493
Ugh, thanks guys. I found the wikipedia page very interesting with the details. I didn't see any panasonic players listed, but since these have been released after January 2012 I'd have to guess it's include there too. Maybe having access to firmware source files may help provide access to customization like others have been talking about for region-breaking.
post #14136 of 16493
Time to buy my first Blu-Ray Player, and looking for advice on the best choice for the following needs...

First, since this may be important, here is what I own at the moment, and what may be connected to:

An older Sony Wega HDTV, tube, widescreen, 1080i, with HDMI. I love this tv and haven't yet seen a better picture on any Plasma, LCD or LED tv.
An older Sony Receiver, the DA333ES, 5.1 DTS, which has coaxial and optical digital connections, but no HDMI.
B&W 602 speakers in the front, B&W 302 speakers in the rear, a B&W C1 center channel speaker, and a Velodyne sub.
A Kinivo HDMI 5 port switch to hookup multiple HDMI devices.
An XBOX 360
And a subscription to Netflix streaming (which I currently access via the 360 as well as my laptop).

I am not interested in 3D. If the best player for my needs has 3D, that's just fine, but it's not a deal maker.

Here are the features I am most interested in:

  • The ability to play DVD-ROMs with the following mixed video formats: AVI, WMV, MKV, FLV, VOB, MP4, and 1080P AND 720P MP4, WMV, AVI (dimensions such as 1280 x 720 and 1920 x 1080). Also the ability to play those formats when stored on removable storage devices or external harddrives.
  • External storage inputs for USB Flash drives, SD cards, even external harddrives. Multiple inputs would be a plus in order to connect at least a couple external sources.
  • Auto off and/or a screensaver when playing content is left on pause. I just bought a very nice Onkyo 6 disc DVD changer (DV-CP706) but it has no screensaver while DVDs are paused, which leaves me greatly concerned about burn-in.
  • Fast load/play time.
  • BDLive
  • Ability to connect to home network via wired or wireless. I'm sure this is pretty standard with Blu-Ray players at this point, but I'm not entirely sure.
  • Excellent DVD upconversion. I have thousands of DVDs and have no immediate plans to upgrade everything in my collection.
  • PAL compatibility might be nice, but not entirely essential. I'm in the US, so the standard is NTSC, but I occasionally buy rare DVDs that have only been released in other countries. My current work-around is copying those discs to my laptop, using IFOEDIT to to re-write the IFO files, creating a sort of "fake" NTSC, and re-burning them, which works quite well. But it would be nice to avoid this step.
  • "SMART" features. I'm not even sure what this is, but seems to offer such things as a web browser and apps. But I'm not sure if these types of features are available on my TV, or if I would need a Smart TV. Not a deal maker or breaker. Web browsing on the TV always sounds nice, but never seems to live up to the hype.
  • Not essential, but SACD playback would be a plus.

I'm not expecting audio miracles. My speakers are nice, but the Sony 333ES is certainly outdated. I know I won't be able to get 7.1 audio...I just want to be sure that Blu-Rays recorded with 7.1 audio or other newer standards will still produce 5.1 sound on my setup.

Streaming from my PC would also be great, but I keep seeing mention of something called DLNA, which I don't believe my laptop has (a Toshiba Satellite A505-S6960 64x, running Windows 7 Ultimate). If I can't stream, no big deal. I'm able to do this via the XBOX 360, and the PS3 Media Server allows it to play every video format on the PC.

So far I've looked at the following players:
LG BP620
This unit seems capable of playing just about all video content, such as mp4s, wmvs, etc. I'm not sure it includes avi--perhaps someone can make heads or tails of this LG video format list:
"Yes" to all of the following formats:

MPEG2
MPEG4 AVC (H.264)
MKV
AVC Rec
AVCHD
M4V
WMV
3GP
FLV
VOB

I see no mention of a screensaver.

Sony BDPS790

Nice specs on this one, but it seems incapable of playing wmv and some other video formats. It also boasts something called 4K, which supposedly delivers HD at 4x the detail. But I'm pretty sure this would require a very specific TV.

Samsung BD-E6500

These are just a few I've looked at. All have seemingly great features, and all seem to lack an element or two.

I'd be most grateful if anyone could make some suggestions for me. I'm looking for something under $300.
Thank you very much!
post #14137 of 16493
Well, I'm a bit behind the times here. My Philips DVP-642 died after a zillion years and I'm looking to replace it with a BluRay that will handle most of today's formats on a USB stick. I just learned about Cinavia so I realize I need to look for something older. The majority of my content will be played via USB stick or DNLA (over ethernet)

So requirements would be
- Cinavia free (mandatory)
- DNLA (with support for Ethernet rather than wireless) would be nice (but not mandatory, I am using StreamBaby to stream to my TiVo)
- USB (preferably FAT32 and NTFS, but NTFS is optional) and supports MKV K.264, DivX, AVI, MP4, etc. All today's common containers and codecs.
- USB based harddrive support is not necessary
- I see some players have better container/codec support if the content is burned to discs rather than on USB for some reason. I will not be burning to media.
- 3D would be nice but is optional (I don't have a 3DTV set now but may in the future)
- Not really looking for a reference player, so preferably under $200 US. I realize there is a ton of really cheap stuff but they all seem to have trade-offs related to container/codec support

Do not care about Netflix, Youtube, etc or subtitles

This won't see a ton of use, but I'd like to get something that is essentially a BluRay version of the DVP-642 with support for 720p/1080p content that will hold me over for the next few years.

Thanks for any recommendations.
post #14138 of 16493
I am looking for a Blu Ray player to replace my PS3. It's going to hookup to an Onkyo PR-SC5507P pre/pro, which will handle all the decoding, and output picture to a JVC RS20 projector. I would love to get the Oppo's but dont want to spend that much on it right now. Looking for a good basic player that will play Blu Rays and output bitsream audio. Any suggestions?

Thanks!
post #14139 of 16493
All other things being equal, just about any BD player will do the two things you mention. However, several people have reported being very happy after they replaced their PS3's disc player functionality with a Sony S590.
post #14140 of 16493
Ordered a BD670 refurb for $68.
Quote:
Originally Posted by robr View Post

Well, I'm a bit behind the times here. My Philips DVP-642 died after a zillion years and I'm looking to replace it with a BluRay that will handle most of today's formats on a USB stick. I just learned about Cinavia so I realize I need to look for something older. The majority of my content will be played via USB stick or DNLA (over ethernet)
So requirements would be
- Cinavia free (mandatory)
- DNLA (with support for Ethernet rather than wireless) would be nice (but not mandatory, I am using StreamBaby to stream to my TiVo)
- USB (preferably FAT32 and NTFS, but NTFS is optional) and supports MKV K.264, DivX, AVI, MP4, etc. All today's common containers and codecs.
- USB based harddrive support is not necessary
- I see some players have better container/codec support if the content is burned to discs rather than on USB for some reason. I will not be burning to media.
- 3D would be nice but is optional (I don't have a 3DTV set now but may in the future)
- Not really looking for a reference player, so preferably under $200 US. I realize there is a ton of really cheap stuff but they all seem to have trade-offs related to container/codec support
Do not care about Netflix, Youtube, etc or subtitles
This won't see a ton of use, but I'd like to get something that is essentially a BluRay version of the DVP-642 with support for 720p/1080p content that will hold me over for the next few years.
Thanks for any recommendations.
post #14141 of 16493
Quote:
Originally Posted by Selden Ball View Post

All other things being equal, just about any BD player will do the two things you mention. However, several people have reported being very happy after they replaced their PS3's disc player functionality with a Sony S590.

Thanks!
post #14142 of 16493
sCiEnt,

You're very welcome.
post #14143 of 16493
I'm looking to finally get a blu-ray player and I could really use some input.

Must have:
- play BR and DVD
- stream over wi-fi from a computer over home network (as many compatible formats as possible!)
- access to online services (Netflix and YouTube - I'm in Canada so others don't really matter)

Bonus:
- No Cinavia (I was temped to put this in "must have" but if this is no longer possible then I'll live)
- 3D capability (don't have a 3D TV yet)
- USB input for USB key or external HDD

I'm not too concerned about disc load times. The most trouble I'm having while searching is figuring out what file formats are supported.

Thanks so much!
post #14144 of 16493
Pioneer Elite BDP-62FD. Only $399 including tax in Markham/Richmond Hill (Canada)
post #14145 of 16493
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Susilo View Post

Pioneer Elite BDP-62FD. Only $399 including tax in Markham/Richmond Hill (Canada)

Wow I had no idea they could cost that much. Is there something around $100 (maybe $150) that can do what I need? I don't need anything fancy. Thanks though!
post #14146 of 16493
nothing in the $150+HST range AFAIK.

The cheaper ($150 range) blu-ray have the following "problems"

1. they don't upscale DVD too nicely
2. they don't do stream smoothing (for netflix and YouTube) anywhere as nice as the BDP-62
3. they don't play as many different file formats as the BDP-62.

The closest thing to the BDP-62 is Panasonic DMT-BDT320 at about $100 less in Canada than the BDP-62 but with far less flexibility than the 62.

oh also the Pioneer Elite BDP-62 comes with 3-year warranty.
post #14147 of 16493
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crowtservo View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Susilo View Post

Pioneer Elite BDP-62FD. Only $399 including tax in Markham/Richmond Hill (Canada)

Wow I had no idea they could cost that much. Is there something around $100 (maybe $150) that can do what I need? I don't need anything fancy. Thanks though!

Check out the Sony BDP-S590. It has Cinavia, but reports are that this only impacts disc 'back-ups'. File support is pretty good and can be extended using a DLNA server (such as Serviio) with transcoding and remuxing capabilities.

Would suggest using Ethernet for DLNA, but the wireless works pretty well on this player too.
post #14148 of 16493
IIRC the 590 does not read NTFS formatted drive and the upscaling is somewhat poor. It is very cheap, though.
post #14149 of 16493
My Sony 550 has died and I'm looking for a replacement with 7.1 analogue out as I have an older Rotel RSX-1056 amp. I'am thinking about CA 751BD as a possible replacement because I want a universal player with good audio quality. Idea is also to replace my CD player at the same time. Do you think that CA is still a good buy? What other players I should consider? Oppo 105 is a bit pricey for my taste and $1000 is definitely the max I am willing to pay for a player.
post #14150 of 16493
Quote:
Originally Posted by JaHuh View Post

My Sony 550 has died and I'm looking for a replacement with 7.1 analogue out as I have an older Rotel RSX-1056 amp. I'am thinking about CA 751BD as a possible replacement because I want a universal player with good audio quality. Idea is also to replace my CD player at the same time. Do you think that CA is still a good buy? What other players I should consider? Oppo 105 is a bit pricey for my taste and $1000 is definitely the max I am willing to pay for a player.

I have the CA 751BD as a universal player (used for CDs, SACDs, DVD-A, Blu-Ray and DVD). I am very happy with its performance. It has not failed to play any disc that I throw at it.
Edited by gprace - 11/7/12 at 9:52am
post #14151 of 16493
Quote:
Originally Posted by JaHuh View Post

My Sony 550 has died and I'm looking for a replacement with 7.1 analogue out as I have an older Rotel RSX-1056 amp. I'am thinking about CA 751BD as a possible replacement because I want a universal player with good audio quality. Idea is also to replace my CD player at the same time. Do you think that CA is still a good buy? What other players I should consider? Oppo 105 is a bit pricey for my taste and $1000 is definitely the max I am willing to pay for a player.

You might also look at the Oppo BDP-95. If you don't need the features that the 105 brings, the 95 is still available for purchase from the Oppo web site. Another possible Oppo option ( rolleyes.gif ) is to get the Oppo 103; it is obviously not the performer that the 105 is for its analogue connections, but is no slouch. It would still let you use the new 10X features, like having HDMI inputs from other devices into the Oppos for video and sound processing.
post #14152 of 16493
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crowtservo View Post

I'm looking to finally get a blu-ray player and I could really use some input.
Must have:
- play BR and DVD
- stream over wi-fi from a computer over home network (as many compatible formats as possible!)
- access to online services (Netflix and YouTube - I'm in Canada so others don't really matter)
Bonus:
- No Cinavia (I was temped to put this in "must have" but if this is no longer possible then I'll live)
- 3D capability (don't have a 3D TV yet)
- USB input for USB key or external HDD
I'm not too concerned about disc load times. The most trouble I'm having while searching is figuring out what file formats are supported.
Thanks so much!
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Susilo View Post

Pioneer Elite BDP-62FD. Only $399 including tax in Markham/Richmond Hill (Canada)

Does this player not have Cinavia detection? I wonder if there is any premium 3D player that does not have Cinavia and is not likely to be "upgradeable" to Cinavia detection. Such that I would not have to keep a second player just for my handful of converted home-made BD discs.
post #14153 of 16493
Does anyone have any input on my question?
post #14154 of 16493
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erik Cacciatore View Post

Time to buy my first Blu-Ray Player, and looking for advice on the best choice for the following needs...
First, since this may be important, here is what I own at the moment, and what may be connected to:
An older Sony Wega HDTV, tube, widescreen, 1080i, with HDMI. I love this tv and haven't yet seen a better picture on any Plasma, LCD or LED tv.
An older Sony Receiver, the DA333ES, 5.1 DTS, which has coaxial and optical digital connections, but no HDMI.
B&W 602 speakers in the front, B&W 302 speakers in the rear, a B&W C1 center channel speaker, and a Velodyne sub.
A Kinivo HDMI 5 port switch to hookup multiple HDMI devices.
An XBOX 360
And a subscription to Netflix streaming (which I currently access via the 360 as well as my laptop).
I am not interested in 3D. If the best player for my needs has 3D, that's just fine, but it's not a deal maker.
Here are the features I am most interested in:
  • The ability to play DVD-ROMs with the following mixed video formats: AVI, WMV, MKV, FLV, VOB, MP4, and 1080P AND 720P MP4, WMV, AVI (dimensions such as 1280 x 720 and 1920 x 1080). Also the ability to play those formats when stored on removable storage devices or external harddrives.
  • External storage inputs for USB Flash drives, SD cards, even external harddrives. Multiple inputs would be a plus in order to connect at least a couple external sources.
  • Auto off and/or a screensaver when playing content is left on pause. I just bought a very nice Onkyo 6 disc DVD changer (DV-CP706) but it has no screensaver while DVDs are paused, which leaves me greatly concerned about burn-in.
  • Fast load/play time.
  • BDLive
  • Ability to connect to home network via wired or wireless. I'm sure this is pretty standard with Blu-Ray players at this point, but I'm not entirely sure.
  • Excellent DVD upconversion. I have thousands of DVDs and have no immediate plans to upgrade everything in my collection.
  • PAL compatibility might be nice, but not entirely essential. I'm in the US, so the standard is NTSC, but I occasionally buy rare DVDs that have only been released in other countries. My current work-around is copying those discs to my laptop, using IFOEDIT to to re-write the IFO files, creating a sort of "fake" NTSC, and re-burning them, which works quite well. But it would be nice to avoid this step.
  • "SMART" features. I'm not even sure what this is, but seems to offer such things as a web browser and apps. But I'm not sure if these types of features are available on my TV, or if I would need a Smart TV. Not a deal maker or breaker. Web browsing on the TV always sounds nice, but never seems to live up to the hype.
  • Not essential, but SACD playback would be a plus.

That's a good list of features. I think if you want to pay under $300, you'll need to compromise on some. The PAL playback is probably one, external storage is another, but that can be made up for by a DLNA setup on your computer or a DLNA capable NAS drive.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erik Cacciatore View Post

I'm not expecting audio miracles. My speakers are nice, but the Sony 333ES is certainly outdated. I know I won't be able to get 7.1 audio...I just want to be sure that Blu-Rays recorded with 7.1 audio or other newer standards will still produce 5.1 sound on my setup.

Given your receiver, your best solution for getting the best sound (lossless codecs, etc) would be a bluray player with analog multi channel outputs. Your receiver can accept up to 5.1 analog inputs, so the player can decode whatever codec is being played, the receiver just takes in the already decoded analog signal. This way you can have DTS-HD-MA and TrueHD lossless sound.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erik Cacciatore View Post

Streaming from my PC would also be great, but I keep seeing mention of something called DLNA, which I don't believe my laptop has (a Toshiba Satellite A505-S6960 64x, running Windows 7 Ultimate). If I can't stream, no big deal. I'm able to do this via the XBOX 360, and the PS3 Media Server allows it to play every video format on the PC.

All you need to do to enable DLNA on your PC is to install one of several available DLNA servers on your computer. I have Twonky on my laptop and on a NAS on my network, but people use many others and are happy with them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erik Cacciatore View Post

So far I've looked at the following players:
LG BP620
This unit seems capable of playing just about all video content, such as mp4s, wmvs, etc. I'm not sure it includes avi--perhaps someone can make heads or tails of this LG video format list:
"Yes" to all of the following formats:
MPEG2
MPEG4 AVC (H.264)
MKV
AVC Rec
AVCHD
M4V
WMV
3GP
FLV
VOB
I see no mention of a screensaver.
Sony BDPS790
Nice specs on this one, but it seems incapable of playing wmv and some other video formats. It also boasts something called 4K, which supposedly delivers HD at 4x the detail. But I'm pretty sure this would require a very specific TV.

You are right, this would require a 4K TV; these are coming out but are not readily available or inexpensive right now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erik Cacciatore View Post


Samsung BD-E6500
These are just a few I've looked at. All have seemingly great features, and all seem to lack an element or two.
I'd be most grateful if anyone could make some suggestions for me. I'm looking for something under $300.
Thank you very much!

Those are all good choices, but as I mentioned they will require some compromise. The player that most closely fits what you need is the Oppo BDP-103, but at $500, it's $200 above what you want to spend.
post #14155 of 16493
Hernanu, thank you for the reply. Lots of helpful information.
Quote:
Given your receiver, your best solution for getting the best sound (lossless codecs, etc) would be a bluray player with analog multi channel outputs. Your receiver can accept up to 5.1 analog inputs, so the player can decode whatever codec is being played, the receiver just takes in the already decoded analog signal. This way you can have DTS-HD-MA and TrueHD lossless sound.

I've always used those 5.1 analog inputs for my SACDs...didn't realize they had other uses. I'm not sure I understand how that all works, but I'll certainly take your word for it.
Quote:
All you need to do to enable DLNA on your PC is to install one of several available DLNA servers on your computer. I have Twonky on my laptop and on a NAS on my network, but people use many others and are happy with them.

That's great to know, thank you!

Since my initial query I've decided that my best approach may be to purchase 2 items: A Blu-Ray Player as well as an HD Media Player.
I've done some research on the HD Media Players and am fairly certain that the WD TV Live Hub Media Center is the way to go. http://www.amazon.com/Western-Digital-Media-Center-Full-HD/dp/B004GK0GKO/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

http://wdc.com/en/products/products.aspx?id=570

If you know anything about HD Media Players and think I'm making a bad choice with that one, please let me know.

The Media Player will apparently handle any file type I throw at it, and I'll be able to offload a lot these movies from my various HDDs to USB flash drives as well as to the 1TB internal HDD in the Western Digital unit. I've read that storage is required to playback the menus of downloaded or ripped BRs, so this should handle it. And I'll be able to stream whatever remains on my pcs. It even supports gapless audio playback.

So, given this new information, perhaps you can offer some further advice on a Blu-Ray Player to choose. Taking into consideration that multiple inputs are no longer a factor.

I imagine I should now concentrate on superior BR playback and DVD upconversion, a responsive and well designed GUI, support for the DTS-HD-MA and TrueHD lossless sound you mentioned, and...well, I don't know. If there are other important features you know of, I'm wide open to suggestion. I'm very new to this.

It doesn't have to be one of those 3 players I mentioned, if you think something else would be better. And yes, that Oppo looks beautiful, but out of my price range.

Thanks for your time.
post #14156 of 16493
The bluray players you mentioned are fine for your purposes, I'm not sure that they have analog multi channel outputs (the S790 doesnt) , so you could use optical or coax outputs and get almost as good sound (no DTS-HD-MA, TrueHD).

The lossy sound through optical or coax is still very good, just not lossless. I believe the Sony also plays SACD, there may be issues sending that through the coax / optical links though.
post #14157 of 16493
Hi!

I am looking to buy a blu-ray player under $1000. I enjoy watching blu-ray movies as well as listening SACDs.

Which Sony blu-ray player also got SACD? I can not seem to find it anywhere.

Thanks for any advice!!
post #14158 of 16493
Sony S590 plays SACDs. If those are your two requirements, this will do well. It can be had for 105. If you're bound and determined to spend money, the Oppo 103 is 499. It will also support DVD-A and has more file support for streaming.

S~
post #14159 of 16493
Might as well get the 103. The upscaling is far superior than Sony 590 / 790.
post #14160 of 16493
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laserfan View Post

Does this player not have Cinavia detection? I wonder if there is any premium 3D player that does not have Cinavia and is not likely to be "upgradeable" to Cinavia detection. Such that I would not have to keep a second player just for my handful of converted home-made BD discs.

Any new player today wiill have Cinavia, it's part of the Blu-ray Organization's regulation.

Also it depends on what you mean as "converted home-made BD disc". 99% of the discs out there are NOT Cinavia encoded, 99% of the Cinavia encoded discs are Sony titles, 0% of Disney titles -- so far -- is Cinavia encoded, your home movies converted into BD disc will not be affected at all.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Blu-ray Players
AVS › AVS Forum › Blu-ray & HD DVD › Blu-ray Players › OFFICIAL "HELP ME CHOOSE A PLAYER" THREAD: Can't decide? Start HERE.