or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Blu-ray & HD DVD › Blu-ray Players › OFFICIAL "HELP ME CHOOSE A PLAYER" THREAD: Can't decide? Start HERE.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

OFFICIAL "HELP ME CHOOSE A PLAYER" THREAD: Can't decide? Start HERE. - Page 497

post #14881 of 16455
The PS3 is a fine Blu-ray player and media streamer. The Oppo may be a bit better when it comes to upconverting DVDs, if that's worth $500-1,000 to you. But, BD playback itself won't be any better. Can you take your PS3 to the hifi shop and do a side-by-side DVD comparison with the Oppo?

Oppo is also championed by those who use multichannel analog for audio. But, that approach bypasses a receiver's room correction software and may actually sound worse than the EQ'd output of a modern receiver.

Panasonic and Sony also make excellent players, which get varying reviews about the quality of their video up conversion.
post #14882 of 16455
Quote:
Originally Posted by lcslattery View Post

Hi everyone. I'm new to AVS so apologies If this been posted here a million times recently.

just spent a heap on speakers, and the next thing to upgrade in my setup is the bluray player. I'm currently using a PS3. the local high shop reckons they do an okay job, but that I can do much better as the video processor in the unit isn't awesome.I think they were recommending an Oppo as an alternative, but would be grateful for some advice and recommendations.


I'm not really sure what else I should be looking for in a bluray player, but it must be 3d compatible, upscale DVD and have network connectivity.

Main use will be music dvds and bluray, movies, receiving steamed video content from my network.


Grateful for all advice and suggestions please.

Not championing the Oppo, but as a long time happy user, maybe I am.
  1. Bluray quality is equal or equal enough to be indetectible with most displays for most bluray players. If all you will do is to watch blurays, then any well reviewed player will do.
  2. If you have or will play DVD's and care about the PQ, then the Oppo will perform with the top DVD upscalers. I believe it is the best at this, so it's not quite a wash here, but other players are near in quality at smaller displays. With projectors and larger displays, it may have more of an impact.
  3. Network connectivity - using DLNA to play media (audio, video, pictures) is where the Oppo begins to distance itself from the pack. Some units approach the Oppo on basic connectivity, but Oppo is known for improving products after delivery.
  4. Media file support. The Oppo shines in this. The number of formats supported is wide and deep. Again the Oppo distances itself here. If you have some media file delivered in some format, you stand a good chance that the Oppo will support it.
  5. Expanded Network connectivity - You can access SMB shared drives on the network. This provides a more local type access without having to go through a DLNA server.
  6. DLNA control from a device. This is a new feature that allows you to push content to the Oppo instead of using the Oppo to pull content. Much better for control, etc.
  7. Abilty to attach a hard drive with media directly to the Oppo to play without needing to go to the network.
  8. HDMI inputs to the Oppo. This allows you to use the Oppo as a graphics and audio processor for devices that may not produce a great image. For example, passing your cable signal through the Oppo lets the signal be upscaled to 1080p by the Oppo graphics processors.
  9. Service. The service people at oppo and the engineers are outstanding.

I've had my Oppo BDP-83 for four years now and expect to keep it for many more. I paid 500 for it then, I can sell it for about 3-400 now if I wanted to. It has been updated when needed, not just for disk compatibility, but also for new features (DLNA for example), which were not originally part of the product.

I can highly recommend the company, would probably have bought two, maybe three players in the meanwhile to get the same functions I have now.

Just my 2 cents. And it does support analog audio, during those times I used an older AVR without HDMI.
post #14883 of 16455
  • I currently have an old Samsung BD-P3600 BD player.
  • I've recently gotten a new pre-processor that handles all my audio & switches all of my video sources, so my BD-P3600 is connected only via HDMI.
  • I use a Roku for most of my online accesses.
  • I'm taking delivery of a new TV Monday (Vizio E701i-A3).

So ... my question ... as you can see, video quality is really going to be my main concern in terms of the BD player. Am I going to see any benefit(s) by replacing my player with something newer? If so, any suggestions? I was contemplating the upcoming Panasonic DMP-BDT330, but am wondering if even that is more than I really need?

I've been a fan of Oppo for years, but since the biggest benefit of their current players is the analog capabilities and I won't be taking advantage of that, I simply can't justify the $500 cost of one of them at this time. frown.gif

Thanks,
post #14884 of 16455
Quote:
Originally Posted by psklenar View Post

  • I currently have an old Samsung BD-P3600 BD player.
  • I've recently gotten a new pre-processor that handles all my audio & switches all of my video sources, so my BD-P3600 is connected only via HDMI.
  • I use a Roku for most of my online accesses.
  • I'm taking delivery of a new TV Monday (Vizio E701i-A3).

So ... my question ... as you can see, video quality is really going to be my main concern in terms of the BD player. Am I going to see any benefit(s) by replacing my player with something newer? If so, any suggestions? I was contemplating the upcoming Panasonic DMP-BDT330, but am wondering if even that is more than I really need?

I've been a fan of Oppo for years, but since the biggest benefit of their current players is the analog capabilities and I won't be taking advantage of that, I simply can't justify the $500 cost of one of them at this time. frown.gif

Thanks,

If your use is disks, bluray or dvd only, the considerations for a new player would be:

  • Disc compatibility. Some newer releases are not compatible with older players. A newer player or one that updates firmware frequently will give you a better opportunity to play new releases without a problem.
  • Loading speed. If you want quicker open drawer to play movie speed, the newer players will give you that.
  • Upscaling performance for DVDs. Bluray PQ should be the same.

Especially if you are using bluray only, the above are the only reasons for upgrading. So no need to upgrade if they don't apply,
post #14885 of 16455
Thank you very much @hernanu. I'll be honest, the Samsung DOES take its sweet time to get to the disc menu, but I've not found anything that doesn't play ... yet. smile.gif
post #14886 of 16455
When that gets to be an issue, upgrade then. Either the price or quality should be better then, so if what you have is fine, then I'd stick with it.

I have an HD-DVD Toshiba A-35. It takes a while for a movie to come up, but once it's there, the movie experience is great, so I suffer with it (obviously can't upgrade), since it's such a small percentage of the overall movie time.

It is nice having an Oppo BDP-83 that spins disks up fast, though, so it's really up to you.
post #14887 of 16455
Maybe I can win the 3rd prize in the new forum contest. While I'd have trouble justifying spending $500 on the Oppo with the features I'll most likely never use, I sure would be thrilled to win one and be able to enjoy the features I DO want. smile.gif
post #14888 of 16455
I have the Panasonic 320 and have had zero issues with this bluray player.

Panasonic and Sony, IMHO make excellent options from which to choose from.
post #14889 of 16455
Thank you very much @JSUL.
post #14890 of 16455
I'm thinking of selling my PS3 80GB that I have had for 5+ years. Its the fat one. I'm looking to upgrade to just a stand alone blu-ray player. I do not care about 3D. What looks good for me.

(2) Rear WH 2 series Wharfedales
(1) Energy CC10 center
(2) Sound Dynamics RTS-P100 powered speakers (towers)
Marantz SR7001 AV receiver
Velodyne SPL-1500R sub

KRP500M Pioneer plasma
PS3
Dish satellite receiver
post #14891 of 16455
Quote:
Originally Posted by purplerain View Post

I'm thinking of selling my PS3 80GB that I have had for 5+ years. Its the fat one. I'm looking to upgrade to just a stand alone blu-ray player. I do not care about 3D. What looks good for me.

(2) Rear WH 2 series Wharfedales
(1) Energy CC10 center
(2) Sound Dynamics RTS-P100 powered speakers (towers)
Marantz SR7001 AV receiver
Velodyne SPL-1500R sub

KRP500M Pioneer plasma
PS3
Dish satellite receiver
Do you need wifi, DLNA or any particular streaming apps?
post #14892 of 16455
I do not need any of that. Just straight blu-ray. My PS3 is in mint condition being 5+ years old, but I just want a blu-ray player only. And, will it be worth the upgrade? Thanks
post #14893 of 16455
Quote:
Originally Posted by purplerain View Post

I'm thinking of selling my PS3 80GB that I have had for 5+ years. Its the fat one. I'm looking to upgrade to just a stand alone blu-ray player. I do not care about 3D. What looks good for me.

(2) Rear WH 2 series Wharfedales
(1) Energy CC10 center
(2) Sound Dynamics RTS-P100 powered speakers (towers)
Marantz SR7001 AV receiver
Velodyne SPL-1500R sub

KRP500M Pioneer plasma
PS3
Dish satellite receiver

Looking to join the club heh. About 2 weeks ago I sold my ps3 80gb and thanks to this thread I ended up with 2 BD players, the Sony bdp-s590 and S390. I too do not care for 3d but wanted streaming apps, DLNA and wifi at half the cost of the PS3. I don't think I ever played a game on my PS3 frown.gif
You are in good hands in here.
post #14894 of 16455
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdavej View Post

Do you need wifi, DLNA or any particular streaming apps?

I do not need any of that. Just straight blu-ray. My PS3 is in mint condition being 5+ years old, but I just want a blu-ray player only. And, will it be worth the upgrade? Thanks
post #14895 of 16455
Quote:
Originally Posted by purplerain View Post

I do not need any of that. Just straight blu-ray. My PS3 is in mint condition being 5+ years old, but I just want a blu-ray player only. And, will it be worth the upgrade? Thanks

Well, you have a very good receiver and speakers. As far as the bluray image goes, you're probably in good hands with the fat PS3.

I believe (correct me if I'm wrong) that the fat PS3 can't bitstream the lossless audio (DTS-HD-MA, TrueHD) formats over HDMI. So you will get an improvement in sound quality from bluray movies. Now you are probably getting the lossy core formats.

I've heard of complaints about the fan for the PS3. That is pretty much gone from most bluray players.

Speed of loading the movie may be improved.

The DLNA features are pretty useful if you have photographs, home movies, music you want to play over your network. If not, then it's a feature that's now pretty standard on most players.

In the end, you are the best judge of whether it's worth the upgrade. If you:
  • Don't play games.
  • Want faster disk load times
  • Want lower fan noise.
  • Want improved sound quality from the lossless formats.
  • Want to investigate DLNA

Then you'd be served by a good player like the Sony S590. It comes with 3d, but you don't have to use it if that's objectionable.

Again - you're the best judge. If none of the above have any value, then keep the fat PS3.
post #14896 of 16455
Quote:
Originally Posted by purplerain View Post

I do not need any of that. Just straight blu-ray. My PS3 is in mint condition being 5+ years old, but I just want a blu-ray player only. And, will it be worth the upgrade? Thanks
Then all you need is the Sony 1100 ($88 new or $78 used on amazon).
post #14897 of 16455
Bear in mind that Sony's S590 has been replaced by the S5100, which has somewhat faster load times and some improved networking features, but has lost the analog video and audio outputs. Where it's available, the S590 tends to be less expensive than the S5100.
post #14898 of 16455
I had a fat PS3 40GB (gen3) stop reading Blu-ray a few months ago. I got the BSG Box Set on Blu-ray for Xmas and made it half way through the first disc and the PS3 stopped reading. I started looking for a replacement to continue the BSG series and ran into so many issues I couldn't believe it. I was shocked that 4-5 years after I first started that the products hadn't improved at all. Blu-ray players have really horrid quality.

I started with electronics companies that made products I have had good success with. I tried 3 different LG players, a Toshiba, a Samsung and 2 Sony players. The 3 LG players wouldn't load any BD I owned. Just sat there spinning just like my dead PS3. The Toshiba was crap all around. I would restart constantly, audio was terrible and very quiet for some reason. The Samsung was incredibly slow. Up to that point I had just been ordering random players off Amazon since I just wanted to play 2D BD and nothing else. I had no idea most players weren't even capable of that.

So I did tons of research and picked up a Sony BDP-S390. I read tons of reviews. I get it. Hook it up. Throw in disc one. The next episode starts playing and 5 minutes in it freezes. Restart and 10 minutes in it freezes. Restart and 2 minutes in it freezes. Send it back and order a Sony BDPS790.... same thing. So I sit down and read through every review on Amazon. Mixed in with the 3 and 4 star reviews I find tons of people claiming that Sony Blu-ray players freeze while playing BD from Universal Studios... of course. That's who produced my BSG set...

I ended up getting a Panasonic DMP-BDT220 as a last ditch effort before ordering another PS3. I've never owned a Panasonic product which is why I didn't try it in the first place. What a relief this thing was. Faith in technology restored. This player is fast. Boots up in a second or two. Loads discs instantly. Great sound. Flawless playback on everything I've tried. Smooth and fast firmware updates. I don't really use the online content streaming but it worked flawlessly. SMB share mkv file playback flawlessly..... I love this Blu-ray player. Seriously.... is it really that difficult to make a quality Blu-ray player?

TL;DR
If you want a simple player that just plays BD flawlessly... my endorsement goes to Panasonic DMP-BDT220. Reviews would indicate the entire DMP-BDT line is equally solid.
post #14899 of 16455
Do any of you know which players, if any, exhibit ''time remaining?''
post #14900 of 16455
Quote:
Originally Posted by itznfb View Post

TL;DR
If you want a simple player that just plays BD flawlessly... my endorsement goes to Panasonic DMP-BDT220. Reviews would indicate the entire DMP-BDT line is equally solid.

My first BR player is a Panasonic BD871 and I love it.
Just wish it was a bit beefier in the build/size dept...
post #14901 of 16455
Quote:
Originally Posted by hernanu View Post

Well, you have a very good receiver and speakers. As far as the bluray image goes, you're probably in good hands with the fat PS3.

I believe (correct me if I'm wrong) that the fat PS3 can't bitstream the lossless audio (DTS-HD-MA, TrueHD) formats over HDMI. So you will get an improvement in sound quality from bluray movies. Now you are probably getting the lossy core formats.

I've heard of complaints about the fan for the PS3. That is pretty much gone from most bluray players.

Speed of loading the movie may be improved.

The DLNA features are pretty useful if you have photographs, home movies, music you want to play over your network. If not, then it's a feature that's now pretty standard on most players.

In the end, you are the best judge of whether it's worth the upgrade. If you:
  • Don't play games.
  • Want faster disk load times
  • Want lower fan noise.
  • Want improved sound quality from the lossless formats.
  • Want to investigate DLNA

Then you'd be served by a good player like the Sony S590. It comes with 3d, but you don't have to use it if that's objectionable.

Again - you're the best judge. If none of the above have any value, then keep the fat PS3.


I can get the Sony BDP-S5100 for around $140 shipped. Will I get better sound/picture with the 5100 over the old school PS3?
post #14902 of 16455
FWIW, I've never had any problems reading Universal discs on my S590. I don't have the BSG collection, but Season 2 of Game of Thrones played with no problems at all, for example.
post #14903 of 16455
Quote:
Originally Posted by purplerain View Post

I do not need any of that. Just straight blu-ray. My PS3 is in mint condition being 5+ years old, but I just want a blu-ray player only. And, will it be worth the upgrade? Thanks

Your Marantz won't bitstream Dolby TrueHD or DTS-MA so you might as well keep the PS3.

Al
post #14904 of 16455
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angler55 View Post

Your Marantz won't bitstream Dolby TrueHD or DTS-MA so you might as well keep the PS3.

Al

You are right. Keep the PS3.
post #14905 of 16455
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angler55 View Post

Your Marantz won't bitstream Dolby TrueHD or DTS-MA so you might as well keep the PS3.

Al


Guess I will keep it then biggrin.gif
post #14906 of 16455
Need everyones help! First time posting here I believe.

Im looking for a Blu-Ray Player with Streaming Capabilities + Maybe Light Home Streaming/USB File Playing.

Needs:
-Netflix/Amazon/Youtube (preferred)/Hulu (Decent speed)
-A WIRED Ethernet connection, My Wireless is GARBAGE but I will eventually upgrade so it needs wireless too
- <200 dollars (Buyable at best buy preferred since I have a gift card)

Wants:
-Able to play a decent assortment of MKV Video Either from a Computer/NAS/or USB Hard Drive (Most likely)
-Good Quality Construction/Design

Don't really care:
-3D
-4K Upscaling (whatever that means)
-Multiple HDMI Ports (Why? lol)

I own a Samsung UN46EH6000FXZA (46 inch LED TV) . I have a few blu-rays but looking to expand my collection but......I want the streaming service to be "decent". I Like Panasonic and Sony players (Samsung ones especially the newer flagship models are WAYYY to high). USB Streaming/Network streaming is something I REALLY want....but isn't a deal-breaker.

Newer is better of course (like the new 2013 models)

Suggestions?
post #14907 of 16455
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercfh View Post

Need everyones help! First time posting here I believe.

Im looking for a Blu-Ray Player with Streaming Capabilities + Maybe Light Home Streaming/USB File Playing.

Needs:
-Netflix/Amazon/Youtube (preferred)/Hulu (Decent speed)
-A WIRED Ethernet connection, My Wireless is GARBAGE but I will eventually upgrade so it needs wireless too
- <200 dollars (Buyable at best buy preferred since I have a gift card)

Wants:
-Able to play a decent assortment of MKV Video Either from a Computer/NAS/or USB Hard Drive (Most likely)
-Good Quality Construction/Design

Don't really care:
-3D
-4K Upscaling (whatever that means)
-Multiple HDMI Ports (Why? lol)

I own a Samsung UN46EH6000FXZA (46 inch LED TV) . I have a few blu-rays but looking to expand my collection but......I want the streaming service to be "decent". I Like Panasonic and Sony players (Samsung ones especially the newer flagship models are WAYYY to high). USB Streaming/Network streaming is something I REALLY want....but isn't a deal-breaker.

Newer is better of course (like the new 2013 models)

Suggestions?

As I mentioned I love my Panasonic but the LAN streaming support is very limited. Streaming from Netflix and other internet services is great but LAN streaming isn't a strong feature on the Panasonic.
post #14908 of 16455
If streaming apps is important, particularly Amazon, Sony would be a better option. They support 5.1 audio when available. Panasonic does not. Sony will also give a little more flexibility with DLNA streaming.

S~
post #14909 of 16455
Yeah I've heard Sony is better at the Streaming Options.

Whats the major difference between the 5100 and the 3100 (I was looking at the 3100) the 790 is just toooo expensive for me TBH. (But just for comparison reasons.......in what ways would a 790 be better than a 3100 for instance)

Are the Sonys in general reliable? Panasonic makes solid hardware usually.....my ps3 broke (but it was after a LONG time so i don't really fault it). But how is Sonys reliability/Quality/Hardware Construction?

I like samsung stuff....but do they really have any players that fit the bill?
post #14910 of 16455
As best I can determine, the primary differences between the s3100 and the s5100 is that the s5100 supports both 3D and SACD, while the s3100 does neither.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Blu-ray Players
AVS › AVS Forum › Blu-ray & HD DVD › Blu-ray Players › OFFICIAL "HELP ME CHOOSE A PLAYER" THREAD: Can't decide? Start HERE.