or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Blu-ray & HD DVD › Blu-ray Players › OFFICIAL "HELP ME CHOOSE A PLAYER" THREAD: Can't decide? Start HERE.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

OFFICIAL "HELP ME CHOOSE A PLAYER" THREAD: Can't decide? Start HERE. - Page 518

post #15511 of 16476
Quote:
Originally Posted by tenmakk View Post

My mother likes the web browser feature, and she'd like to browse the Internet faster, especially Pandora. We have a Sony BDP-S3100. We have hi-speed internet, but when we try to use the player to browse the web it is extremely slow, much slower than on our computers. She is willing to spend more if she can get a different Blu-Ray player where she can browse the web faster. Any suggestions? She especially likes the TV Sideview feature.Thanks,Brad

Blu-ray players never make good Web browsers for many different reasons. Most laptops have HDMI outputs, making them easy to interface with modern TVs. Nothing else will compare to a computer in terms of speed and the variety of sites available.
post #15512 of 16476
Quote:
Originally Posted by dave1812dave View Post

QUESTION: I have two Sony BDP-S570 players that both have major issues playing Netflix. they rebuffer often and the picture isn't sharp like from my PS3. I am most likely going to return them for refund and therefore need a replacement. I spoke with Netflix support for advice on products that work well and they said non-sony players, Roku 2, Apple TV. Would ANY Panasonic, Samsung or LG BD player work well with Netflix? I usually buy stuff at Costco. I don't need bleeding edge tech--just something that works really well with Netflix. I'm gonna get a PS4, but that will not be located in the same room as where I need a BD player. I will need a device with ethernet ports; my wifi signal isn't strong enough to the room needing the BD player
Having had all of them, it has been the experience that the current Sony players are the best at streaming NF and Amazon. I currently have a Sony S790, Panasonic 320, and Panasonic 230. The S790 is the best. Another option would be to keep the Blu-ray players and get a dedicated streaming box like Roku, etc.

S~
post #15513 of 16476
Quote:
Originally Posted by wasntme View Post

I'm looking for a Bluray player.

MySetup
Denon a300
BenQ w1070
Long HDMI cable
Elite Screens Sable Fixed Frame Projection Screen (120 inch 16:9 AR)
Pioneer speakers (SP-FS52-LR, SPC-22, SP-BS22-LR)

Wants?
3D
$100-$200 price
Netflix/AmazonPrime Streaming
Sony 5100 should fit your needs nicely.

S~
post #15514 of 16476
Quote:
Originally Posted by teachsac View Post

[quote name="dave1812dave" url="/t/959985/official-help-me-choose-a-player-thread-cant-decide-start-here/15480#post_23713304"][B][SIZE=5]QUESTION: [/SIZE][/B] [SIZE=4]I have two Sony BDP-S570 players that both have major issues playing Netflix. they rebuffer often and the picture isn't sharp like from my PS3. I am most likely going to return them for refund and therefore need a replacement. I spoke with Netflix support for advice on products that work well and they said non-sony players, Roku 2, Apple TV. Would ANY Panasonic, Samsung or LG BD player work well with Netflix? I usually buy stuff at Costco. I don't need bleeding edge tech--just something that works really well with Netflix. I'm gonna get a PS4, but that will not be located in the same room as where I need a BD player. I will need a device with ethernet ports; my wifi signal isn't strong enough to the room needing the BD player[/SIZE][/quote]Having had all of them, it has been the experience that the current Sony players are the best at streaming NF and Amazon. I currently have a Sony S790, Panasonic 320, and Panasonic 230. The S790 is the best. Another option would be to keep the Blu-ray players and get a dedicated streaming box like Roku, etc. S~

I have been satisfied with the Netflix app on my Sony BDP-S590. Though I have a Roku 2 purchased prior to the Sony, it now collects dust because the Sony has all of the apps I need (though the Roku has more apps overall) and the image quality is better.

Definitely stay away from LG. If you want another player and are not comfortable with a newer Sony, look at the Panasonic line.

Are you running your BDP-S570 players with a wired Internet connection to help rule out local network issues that may be impacting quality if you're using wireless? Does the player give you a quality/bandwidth indicator and if so, what does it say?
post #15515 of 16476
Quote:
Originally Posted by teachsac View Post

Sony 5100 should fit your needs nicely.

S~

Just ordered from Amazon. Thanks for the help!!!!
post #15516 of 16476
Oppo - they are the answer for every question that goes above $500.

Errr, sorry - this was supposed to have the quote feature... response to best BR for around $1k.
post #15517 of 16476
Quote:
Originally Posted by dave1812dave View Post

QUESTION: I have two Sony BDP-S570 players that both have major issues playing Netflix. they rebuffer often and the picture isn't sharp like from my PS3. I am most likely going to return them for refund and therefore need a replacement.
How do you return a 3 year old player? My Sony 1100 plays Netflix better than my PS3, Panasonic, LG, Samsung, and Toshiba players ever did. But I do agree that Netflix on the 570 is awful on many levels.
Edited by mdavej - 9/8/13 at 10:00pm
post #15518 of 16476
Hi,

I'm looking for a standalone BluRay player that
(1) can mount & reliably stream from a NetworkShare -- over CIFS &/or (preferably) NFS. NOT looking for a DLNA client.
(2) can natively play H.264/mkv encapsulated streams
(3) can play burn-your-own, ripped copied of my DVD collection

I have a Panasonic BDT220 & A Sony S1100.

The BDT220 has Network share mount support, starts with perfect video/audi stream playback, but routinely shuts down ~20-60 minutes into any stream playback. Smells like a firmware issue that Pana techsupport refuses to ack or fix.

The BDT220 CAN play any/all of my DIY'd disks.

The S1100 has no network mount capability, It fails to play -- refusing to even recognize -- any/all of my DIY'd disks (the same ones that play perfectly on the Pana).

Ideally, price point < $300 retail.

Been poring over badly-written manuals, and have found nothing yet.

Any ideas/suggestions?
Edited by JenL - 9/9/13 at 2:16pm
post #15519 of 16476
Quote:
Originally Posted by JenL View Post

Hi,

I'm looking for a standalone BluRay player that
(1) can mount & reliably stream from a NetworkShare -- over CIFS &/or (preferably) NFS. NOT looking for a DLNA client.
(2) can natively play H.264/mkv encapsulated streams
(3) can play burn-your-own, ripped copied of my DVD collection

I have a Panasonic BDT220 & A Sony S1100.

The BDT220 has Network share mount support, starts with perfect video/audi stream playback, but routinely shuts down ~20-60 minutes into any stream playback. Smells like a firmware issue that Pana techsupport refuses to ack or fix.

The BDT220 CAN play any/all of my DIY'd disks.

The S1100 has no network mount capability, It fails to play -- refusing to even recognize -- any/all of my DIY'd disks (the same ones that play perfectly on the Pana).

Ideally, price point < $300 retail.

Been poring over badly-written manuals, and have found nothing yet.

Any ideas/suggestions?

Hate to tell you, because of your price point, but the Oppo 103 does what you want. It costs 499.

Check their manuals, ask your questions in the Oppo 103 discussion area.
post #15520 of 16476
Quote:
Originally Posted by hernanu View Post

Hate to tell you, because of your price point, but the Oppo 103 does what you want. It costs 499.

Check their manuals, ask your questions in the Oppo 103 discussion area.

+1

Jacob
post #15521 of 16476
costco allows returns such as I mentioned, but I'm not going to return them. (it pays to shop at Costco!) I ended up getting a PS3. I'll get the PS4 also, as soon as I see if there are any early teething issues.
post #15522 of 16476
Hello everyone, I want to buy a bluray player, and I'm torn between these - LG 3D BD 670, Sony 3D BDP S590 and Sony 3D BDP S5100. What do you think is the best? If you have some other suggestions for the same money, I'm open for it. Extremely important for me is to play mkv files and translations via the usb...
Thanks in advance, and sorry for bad english smile.gif
post #15523 of 16476

Stuck choosing between the DMP-BDT230 vs BDP-S5100 vs LG-BP630 vs SAMSUNG BD-E6500, that's all.

I'm really stuck choosing the right one.

I just want a good bluray player with really good Media player/streaming capacities.
All that for the average prices, around 150$. cool.gif
I actually own the Panasonic BDT230 and I really love the easy Network sharing Drive possibility.
Really great.
However I'm hesitating to refund it.
In fact my only big problem is that I'm unable to navigate through the timeline of any of my movies (via USB or Network drive)
And if I ffw too quickly, the player freeze and I have to unplug the AC to reboot!!
And sometimes it freeze (maybe heat issue?) when I play too long movies.
So I've been through all the Official Threads but I can't find all the infos to make my decision

I just want to be able to stream media without DLNA, a good subtitles support (srt, idx/sub, subtitles embed in mkvs...) ans being able to navigate through the movies.
And a good Bluray player of course wink.gif

Any ideas?

Thanks
post #15524 of 16476
The 5100 would be OK. Have you thought about a dedicated streaming device? Much more reliable.

S~
post #15525 of 16476
The 5100 support Network Sharing Drives without passing through DLNA?

I've thought about buying a dedicated streaming device but I haven't found a good compromise (the popcorn seems great but is way too expensive)
post #15526 of 16476
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mproduz View Post

The 5100 support Network Sharing Drives without passing through DLNA?

I've thought about buying a dedicated streaming device but I haven't found a good compromise (the popcorn seems great but is way too expensive)
Last time I checked, Sony players did NOT support network shares, only DLNA. However, you can plug a drive directly into USB and see the files.
post #15527 of 16476
Correct. Sony does not. Panasonic and Oppo do. Oppo would be more reliable.

S~
post #15528 of 16476
Yeah maybe the S5100 will be better.
Although I really like network sharing
It seems like the LG -BP630 support it but the bluray decoding doesn't seems to be the best (whathifi.com)
Oppo seems great just like their price. 150$ is my maximum! smile.gif
post #15529 of 16476
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vampidemic View Post

I have been satisfied with the Netflix app on my Sony BDP-S590. Though I have a Roku 2 purchased prior to the Sony, it now collects dust because the Sony has all of the apps I need (though the Roku has more apps overall) and the image quality is better.

Definitely stay away from LG. If you want another player and are not comfortable with a newer Sony, look at the Panasonic line.

Are you running your BDP-S570 players with a wired Internet connection to help rule out local network issues that may be impacting quality if you're using wireless? Does the player give you a quality/bandwidth indicator and if so, what does it say?

There is still a problem with netflix on the Sony x90 series. It's unable to stream nextflix at 5800kbps - the highest super hd rate. It use to be able to but either netflix or sony introduced the bug months ago and its still not fixed.

The x100 series doesn't have the bug.
post #15530 of 16476
Need best inexpensive BD for playing Blue Ray discs and Netflix and other streaming movie services. Do not need wi-fi or other internet gadgets. I see recommendations for Sony 5100 but that is too expensive. Does the 1100 offer the same quality playback for BR discs and streaming? It's only $79 at BB. Any others?
post #15531 of 16476
If you don't need the 5100, go with either the 1100 or 3100. The dedicated thread can lay out the differences. Probably post 1.

S~
post #15532 of 16476
Quote:
Originally Posted by JackB View Post

Need best inexpensive BD for playing Blue Ray discs and Netflix and other streaming movie services. Do not need wi-fi or other internet gadgets. I see recommendations for Sony 5100 but that is too expensive. Does the 1100 offer the same quality playback for BR discs and streaming? It's only $79 at BB. Any others?
I have a couple of 1100's and they are identical to the 3100/5100 in terms of PQ and Netflix. Last time I checked you could get open box ones from Amazon for about $50 shipped. That's where I got mine. One interesting thing is that while the 1100 doesn't do DLNA, it will do Chrome Cast. So you can pull up a Netflix movie or Youtube video, among other things, on your phone or laptop and "cast" it to the Sony player.
post #15533 of 16476
I am starting up the build of a spare bedroom HT and have a question regarding which player better suits my needs.

Setup will be as follows:

55" VT50
JTR 228HTs - LCR
JTR Captivator 2400
Denon X4000 (possibly Onkyo 929) AVR

My two options (both at a local Best Buy) are the Pioneer BDP-62FD for $159 plus tax (brand new, clearance) or the Panasonic DMP-BDT500 for $149 plus tax (open box, excellent condition). I don't listen to much music and own no SACDs or DVD-As.

Which one would you choose and why?
post #15534 of 16476
Quote:
Originally Posted by emr25 View Post

I am starting up the build of a spare bedroom HT and have a question regarding which player better suits my needs.

Setup will be as follows:

55" VT50
JTR 228HTs - LCR
JTR Captivator 2400
Denon X4000 (possibly Onkyo 929) AVR

My two options (both at a local Best Buy) are the Pioneer BDP-62FD for $159 plus tax (brand new, clearance) or the Panasonic DMP-BDT500 for $149 plus tax (open box, excellent condition). I don't listen to much music and own no SACDs or DVD-As.

Which one would you choose and why?

I'd skip the Onkyo. Had $2200 receiver ruined because they put cheap capacitors in (85-degree rated). They'll never get another diem from me
post #15535 of 16476
Quote:
Originally Posted by emr25 View Post

I am starting up the build of a spare bedroom HT and have a question regarding which player better suits my needs.

Setup will be as follows:

55" VT50
JTR 228HTs - LCR
JTR Captivator 2400
Denon X4000 (possibly Onkyo 929) AVR

My two options (both at a local Best Buy) are the Pioneer BDP-62FD for $159 plus tax (brand new, clearance) or the Panasonic DMP-BDT500 for $149 plus tax (open box, excellent condition). I don't listen to much music and own no SACDs or DVD-As.

Which one would you choose and why?
For disc playback reliability, I'd go with the Panasonic. You could also go with the Sony 5100 or Panasonic 230. As with Mark, I'd definitely go with the Denon X4000 over the Onkyo 929, also.

S~
post #15536 of 16476
Hey I am replacing my panny DMP-BDT210.. I want another quality 3D ready player that can run 1080p/24p with streaming services,run a bunch of aps ie youtube etc and if possible run 3D via streaming services.
Any such thing available?
post #15537 of 16476
Hey guys,

My PS3 just died and I would like to get a nice Blu ray player to replace it. I've been considering the Panasonic DMP-30K but can't seem to find one for sale in Canada. I basically want something that will play nice with my Denon 2310ci (which I think supports hdmi 1.3a?) I also want something that can play all the HD sound formats and has nice picture quality. something that would be a step up from the ps3. my budget is $400.00

My setup includes:

- Samsung UN55D7000
- Denon 2310ci


Thanks.
post #15538 of 16476
Quote:
Originally Posted by Devin1886 View Post

Hey guys,

My PS3 just died and I would like to get a nice Blu ray player to replace it. I've been considering the Panasonic DMP-30K but can't seem to find one for sale in Canada. I basically want something that will play nice with my Denon 2310ci (which I think supports hdmi 1.3a?) I also want something that can play all the HD sound formats and has nice picture quality. something that would be a step up from the ps3. my budget is $400.00

My setup includes:

- Samsung UN55D7000
- Denon 2310ci


Thanks.
May I ask why you are interested in a player that was discontinued 6 years ago? With your budget, I'd go for a current model Oppo or Pioneer. But realize that a $250 player also meets all your requirements.
post #15539 of 16476
Is anyone familiar with this issue? I've posted to two other forums, specific to the devices. But I'm on my second Sony BDP-S5100 (and my second Denon receiver) and still having the same audio problem. Allow me to copy and paste:

Almost every time I play a new CD, at some point within the first 20-60 seconds, I experience a complete audio dropout (lasting only a fraction of a second).

Then, it *usually* won't happen again throughout that CD session. But, if I eject the tray and re-load (that CD or a new one) it will happen again during the first song played (but it could be any track on the album).

I had a new AVR-1713 and a new Sony BDP-S5100.

Troubleshooting: when I plugged the Blu-ray player directly into an HDMI monitor - bypassing the Denon - I didn't seem to have the problem, so I thought it was the Denon. I returned it to Amazon and replaced it with an AVR-X1000.

Still had the same problem. So I exchanged the Sony player. And... it's still happening.

So, what is it? I've replaced both the receiver AND the player. I've replaced the HDMI cable, which was new from Monoprice (and only 1.5 ft long). And I've tried plugging the Blu-ray player into different inputs on the receiver. I've changed various settings. Can't solve it.

Is there something I'm missing? Is this a problem you've heard of with the Sony? Is there a compatibility issue?

I am so frustrated. Any suggestions would be awesome. Thanks.

EDIT: One clue I just noticed: when the audio drops out, two indicators on the Denon blink: one says PCM and one says DIG.

I tried with Digital Audio Output on the Sony set to AUTO and also PCM.
post #15540 of 16476
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdavej View Post

May I ask why you are interested in a player that was discontinued 6 years ago? With your budget, I'd go for a current model Oppo or Pioneer. But realize that a $250 player also meets all your requirements.

I did not realize that model had been discontinued. I began reading this thread just a couple days ago and noticed a lot of talk about that specific model. just never clued in that the posts I was reading had been from a while back.

so in that case, which blu ray player would you suggest? I just want a player that will be somewhat of a 'step up" from the ps3 in audio and perhaps video quality if there's such a product in the $200.00-400.00 price range. Thanks
Edited by Devin1886 - 9/13/13 at 5:36pm
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Blu-ray Players
AVS › AVS Forum › Blu-ray & HD DVD › Blu-ray Players › OFFICIAL "HELP ME CHOOSE A PLAYER" THREAD: Can't decide? Start HERE.