or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Blu-ray & HD DVD › Blu-ray Players › OFFICIAL "HELP ME CHOOSE A PLAYER" THREAD: Can't decide? Start HERE.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

OFFICIAL "HELP ME CHOOSE A PLAYER" THREAD: Can't decide? Start HERE. - Page 521

post #15601 of 16483

Sony S570 replacement

I am considering replacing my S570 I've had for a while now.

Current equipment I own:

- Sony KDL-46HX729
- Sony BDP-S570
- Yamaha YSP-4300 sound projector.

The primary reason I am considering replacing the s570 is per Netflix allowing 1080p streaming. (I believe from my prior research the S570 only does 720p) and I am interested in true 1080p in 3D mode. Call me crazy, I actually do enjoy some 3D.

I could very easily consider a Roku or Apple TV, but after seeing some of the current blu-ray players perhaps I would be better off applying that money towards upgrading a single device instead of adding an additional one.

As far as brand loyalty, I've enjoyed Sony products but by no mean am I tied to them. I was looking at the s5100- being that it was a year ago I am not sure when Sony refreshes products...

Any suggestions?

EDIT: Oops! I meant to post this in the "official-help-me-choose-a-player-thread-cant-decide-start-here" Can a MOD move it to the appropriate area?
Thanks in advance!
Edited by pyrosee - 9/30/13 at 11:44pm
post #15602 of 16483
Quote:
Originally Posted by pyrosee View Post

I am considering replacing my S570 I've had for a while now.

Current equipment I own:

- Sony KDL-46HX729
- Sony BDP-S570
- Yamaha YSP-4300 sound projector.

The primary reason I am considering replacing the s570 is per Netflix allowing 1080p streaming. (I believe from my prior research the S570 only does 720p) and I am interested in true 1080p in 3D mode. Call me crazy, I actually do enjoy some 3D.

I could very easily consider a Roku or Apple TV, but after seeing some of the current blu-ray players perhaps I would be better off applying that money towards upgrading a single device instead of adding an additional one.

As far as brand loyalty, I've enjoyed Sony products but by no mean am I tied to them. I was looking at the s5100- being that it was a year ago I am not sure when Sony refreshes products...

Any suggestions?

EDIT: Oops! I meant to post this in the "official-help-me-choose-a-player-thread-cant-decide-start-here" Can a MOD move it to the appropriate area?
Thanks in advance!
The 5100 is an excellent upgrade from a 570. Plus it works very nicely with your Sony TV's HDMI CEC, simplifying remote control and macros. Most new models won't come out until next March/April.
post #15603 of 16483
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vampidemic View Post

LG has broad file format support, but their players are buggy and unreliable. After owning two LG players, I would suggest staying far away.

Many players support Xvid but not Divx. I would suggest getting a Sony player, which will play Xvid .avi, .mp4, mpeg and other standard formats. You'll need to convert Divx files, but that's generally going to be less of an inconvenience than owning an LG.
Along those lines, simply changing the header on my Divx files made most of them playable on my Sony, no conversion necessary. But there is no cheap player that does it all and does it well, so pick your poison.
post #15604 of 16483
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdavej View Post

The 5100 is an excellent upgrade from a 570. Plus it works very nicely with your Sony TV's HDMI CEC, simplifying remote control and macros. Most new models won't come out until next March/April.

Picked up a 5100 today, thanks! smile.gif
post #15605 of 16483

what blu ray player to upgrade to?

i currently am using my ps3 slim as my br player, but looking to upgrade to a stand alone what does everyone recommend for $500 or less. thanks
post #15606 of 16483
Quote:
Originally Posted by eyeguy05 View Post

i currently am using my ps3 slim as my br player, but looking to upgrade to a stand alone what does everyone recommend for $500 or less. thanks

We need more information. What are you using the player for?

Blu-ray only? DVD? SACD? DVD-A?

Do you have audiophile interests? Are you connecting to a receiver? By what means?

Do you have media files needs? Via network?

Online services?

What region? Does it need to be multi-region?

-Bill
Edited by wmcclain - 10/10/13 at 3:09am
post #15607 of 16483
At the $500 price point, most would recommend the Oppo 103, especially if you are interested in SACD.
post #15608 of 16483
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillP View Post

At the $500 price point, most would recommend the Oppo 103, especially if you are interested in SACD.

or you could save half of that and get the Sony S790 (depends on requirements)
post #15609 of 16483

is a Blu-ray player a good way to add DLNA support to my system?

I want to use DLNA to stream pictures mainly to my non DLNA supporting setup. I use an Xperia ZL phone and was wondering if a Blu-ray player that supports DLNA might be the way to achieve this? Open to other suggestions. I had thought there might be a dedicated device but could not find much.
post #15610 of 16483
I have a DLNA compatible blu ray player and a software media server on a hard drive that is also DLNA compatible. It works for streaming music but is very, very slow and fussy to operate. What I actually use are the now discontinued Logitech Squeezeboxes. I don't know of a good solution because I need a third Squeezebox and they aren't available any longer. Everybody views streaming as internet streaming and has abandoned local area network streaming. It's a problem. Maybe for pictures DLNA would be OK.
post #15611 of 16483
Quote:
Originally Posted by collingwood View Post

I want to use DLNA to stream pictures mainly to my non DLNA supporting setup. I use an Xperia ZL phone and was wondering if a Blu-ray player that supports DLNA might be the way to achieve this? Open to other suggestions. I had thought there might be a dedicated device but could not find much.
Yes. It works very well, especially from one Sony device to another. The 3100 or above would be a good choice.
post #15612 of 16483
I'm trying to find a cheapo blu ray player (sub $100), that has a decent Netflix ap. Any suggestions ?
post #15613 of 16483
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony1 View Post

I'm trying to find a cheapo blu ray player (sub $100), that has a decent Netflix ap. Any suggestions ?
It's tempting, but stay away from those cheap Samsungs and Toshibas. They're incredibly slow. Sony has a good app and is quite snappy. For wired, check out the 1100, for wifi the 3100 and for 3D the 5100. Used or open box is also a good deal. I got my last 1100 for $40 and it was mint, leaving me enough cash to buy one for every room.
post #15614 of 16483
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdavej View Post

It's tempting, but stay away from those cheap Samsungs and Toshibas. They're incredibly slow. Sony has a good app and is quite snappy. For wired, check out the 1100, for wifi the 3100 and for 3D the 5100. Used or open box is also a good deal. I got my last 1100 for $40 and it was mint, leaving me enough cash to buy one for every room.

would it be a better idea to just get a Roku 3 box ?


Basically, my wife needs a way to watch Netflix in the living room. She used to used the PS3, but I sold that, because I'm moving on to PS4 in mid November. The thing is, I can't guarantee that the PS4 is going to stay in the living room, or that she will be able to use it anytime she wants (cause I'll want to use the damn thing). I have a Sony Blu Ray player that has Netflix on it, but for some weird reason it just doesn't want to work with the TV in the living room (long story). It would be nice to get a cheapo blu ray player that also supports netflix, and is "relatively" decent with Netflix, but then at the same time, getting a Roku 3, that is supposedly really fast with Netflix would be kinda cool too.

But then if I get a Roku 3, we still won't have a blu ray player in that room, except when the PS4 is over there, but again, I could be using the PS4, and then she won't be able to watch a Blu Ray movie when she wants to... Decisions.. Decisions...
post #15615 of 16483
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony1 View Post

would it be a better idea to just get a Roku 3 box ?


Basically, my wife needs a way to watch Netflix in the living room. She used to used the PS3, but I sold that, because I'm moving on to PS4 in mid November. The thing is, I can't guarantee that the PS4 is going to stay in the living room, or that she will be able to use it anytime she wants (cause I'll want to use the damn thing). I have a Sony Blu Ray player that has Netflix on it, but for some weird reason it just doesn't want to work with the TV in the living room (long story). It would be nice to get a cheapo blu ray player that also supports netflix, and is "relatively" decent with Netflix, but then at the same time, getting a Roku 3, that is supposedly really fast with Netflix would be kinda cool too.

But then if I get a Roku 3, we still won't have a blu ray player in that room, except when the PS4 is over there, but again, I could be using the PS4, and then she won't be able to watch a Blu Ray movie when she wants to... Decisions.. Decisions...

roku 3 would be a good start.

Jacob
post #15616 of 16483
Update - So, I was just looking at a Fry's ad, and they have the Sony BDP-S5100 on sale for $99.99, which I think is the same price as a Roku 3. Is the Netflix app on the Roku 3 really that superior to the one that Sony uses with the 5100 ? I'd love to kill two birds with one stone if possible. But if the Roku 3 is going to be dramatically superior, then I might still have to go in that direction and worry about a cheapo Blu Ray player later on.
post #15617 of 16483
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony1 View Post

Update - So, I was just looking at a Fry's ad, and they have the Sony BDP-S5100 on sale for $99.99, which I think is the same price as a Roku 3. Is the Netflix app on the Roku 3 really that superior to the one that Sony uses with the 5100 ? I'd love to kill two birds with one stone if possible. But if the Roku 3 is going to be dramatically superior, then I might still have to go in that direction and worry about a cheapo Blu Ray player later on.

I had a sony player. I had issues with the netflix with the 120 refresh type of tv. I dont have that tv anymore. I dont know if it works better on the plasma or not. I did notice that I could play the oppo 93 netflix better on the plasma then the 120 refresh rate tv. could be the same thing. the ps3 has a better way of display for telling you the bitrate of the file when playing titles. the ps3 can also play 3d netflix titles and you can look up actors and directors with the ps3. you cannot do those items on the roku 3.

Jacob
post #15618 of 16483
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacob305 View Post

I had a sony player. I had issues with the netflix with the 120 refresh type of tv. I dont have that tv anymore. I dont know if it works better on the plasma or not. I did notice that I could play the oppo 93 netflix better on the plasma then the 120 refresh rate tv. could be the same thing. the ps3 has a better way of display for telling you the bitrate of the file when playing titles. the ps3 can also play 3d netflix titles and you can look up actors and directors with the ps3. you cannot do those items on the roku 3.

Jacob
Which Sony did you have? No 120Hz issues here with 3 generations of Sony players. Could your TV have been the problem?

The Netflix on the 5100 shows the bitrate just like a PS3. App is pretty much identical too, as I recall.

I never noticed anything special about Netflix on a Roku. Sony is just as good, if not better. However, Roku does have Sony beat by a mile on the Amazon app.

Anthony, if all you're concerned about is Netflix, just get a $35 Chromecast, assuming you have a smartphone to control it.
Edited by mdavej - 10/11/13 at 12:04pm
post #15619 of 16483
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdavej View Post

Which Sony did you have? No 120Hz issues here with 3 generations of Sony players. Could your TV have been the problem?

The Netflix on the 5100 shows the bitrate just like a PS3. App is pretty much identical too, as I recall.

I never noticed anything special about Netflix on a Roku. Sony is just as good, if not better. However, Roku does have Sony beat by a mile on the Amazon app.

Anthony, if all you're concerned about is Netflix, just get a $35 Chromecast, assuming you have a smartphone to control it.

I dont remember the model number. it was a few years back. before 2010.

Jacob
post #15620 of 16483
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacob305 View Post

I dont remember the model number. it was a few years back. before 2010.

Jacob
Oh man, Netflix on those was truly horrible. 120Hz was probably the least of your problems. I could barely even see the cover art on their old app. FFWD/REW was like pulling the lever on a slot machine, blindfolded. I'm glad that app is long gone.
post #15621 of 16483
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark_anderson_u View Post

I have Sony S790 (<$250) and like it a lot, especially for the price. (one of my friends has had his Sony for 3 years. Still going strong)

I previously had Panasonic and Samsung. Replaced Panny with Sony. Sammy is in master bedroom (hardly used)

AFAIK Sony is about the only player to support Deep Color (they call it x.v.color), so if you want best PQ (and your AVR and PJ/TV support Deep Color/x.v.color/xvYCC), the Mastered for 4K titles will have an expended gamut. I haven't tried this yet: only bought the player about a month ago and there are no titles I'm compelled to re-buy for 4K Mastered edition. I hope newer titles will release with such editions. My 4311 and Kuro both support Deep Color so it should work.


This is totally wrong. Deep color is supported on a variety of Bluray ray players. It has nothing to do with the color gamut or color space, it provides for longer bit length but has no relevance to disc playback. Discs use 8 bit length and that is why our displays are subject to banding, simply not enough steps available for smooth color transitions.

Now x.v. color has nothing to do with bit lengths. It is an expanded color space much bigger than rec 709. How much bigger is it? 1.8 times the size of rec. 709. So if you have a source coded in that color space and if your player will send x.v. color out and your display is capable of receiving and displaying it, you will see almost twice as many colors as the average bear. Of course there will be perhaps even more banding because the bit length is not long enogh to provide for smooth ramp type transitions. The problem has been until recently, no discs have ben encoded in x.v. color. But wait. The messiah has arrived with Sony's Mastered in 4K Bluray discs. They are encoded in x.v. color. And if your Bluray player will put out x.v. color and your display with receive and display it you will see more colors without the aid of any legal or illegal medication. The Sony Bluray players put out x.v, color if the disc has x.v. color, Sony's 2013 sets will receive and display it. Some sets years ago also will support it.
Edited by mark haflich - 10/12/13 at 8:28am
post #15622 of 16483

Ability to display video to 2 screens

Is there a Blu-Ray player on the market that's able to show video content on a local TV through HDMI as well as an outdoor tv through wireless signal or by some other means?

My basic situation is that I would like to get a Blu-Ray player for my home theater. However, about 25 feet away, I have a TV in the backyard that I would like to be able to watch movies on as well. I was originally going to buy a cheap DVD player and build some type of outdoor enclosure for it, but I was wondering if I could avoid this by using the indoor blu ray player to play content on the outdoor TV (without a whole bunch of wires going from family room to backyard).

Sorry for the convoluted question, but figured someone here might have a good solution.
post #15623 of 16483
Quote:
Originally Posted by calidoc75 View Post

Is there a Blu-Ray player on the market that's able to show video content on a local TV through HDMI as well as an outdoor tv through wireless signal or by some other means?

My basic situation is that I would like to get a Blu-Ray player for my home theater. However, about 25 feet away, I have a TV in the backyard that I would like to be able to watch movies on as well. I was originally going to buy a cheap DVD player and build some type of outdoor enclosure for it, but I was wondering if I could avoid this by using the indoor blu ray player to play content on the outdoor TV (without a whole bunch of wires going from family room to backyard).

Sorry for the convoluted question, but figured someone here might have a good solution.
While some BD players have wireless network inputs, none have builtin wireless HDMI outputs.

You might want to consider a wireless HDMI adapter. A Web search turns up quite a few. For example, http://www.amazon.com/Nyrius-Transmitter-Streaming-Satellite-NPCS549/dp/B009E6R89C/ref=pd_sxp_grid_pt_0_1

but a separate player would be cheaper.
post #15624 of 16483

Is a dedicated Blu-ray player worth it?

I am looking into getting an entirely new home theater soon, and I'm trying to figure out if it is worth getting a Blu-Ray player like Oppo 103 when I will already have a high end AV receiver with upconversion, apps, and hi-def sound. I will also have an Xbox One or PS4 and there doesn't seem to be many details about their Blu-Ray players...so it's hard to compare. What is the advantage of having a $500 player if I already have one integrated in my gaming system? Is it just for the different formats it can play (audio+video)? Thanks for any help.

post #15625 of 16483
While lots of people happily use their gaming consoles as blu-ray players. It's a great money saver if you're a gamer and have no other choice. But I personally dislike the idea for many reasons:

- Universal remote integration is difficult and expensive. Otherwise you're stuck using a controller or bluetooth remote in the case of PS3/PS4. Console remotes also lack direct access to many functions like subtitles, for example.
- Consoles are big, noisy, power hogs.
- Consoles are slower to boot up.
- Some consoles require a paid subscription to use otherwise free streaming services

The other question is do you need a high end player like Oppo? A $100 (or less) player will do just as well since you already have a high end AVR, with the exception of certain audio formats.
post #15626 of 16483
So what is a "good" (Great?) BD player these days? I have been using a now aging 6 year old PS3, which works great for BD's and Netflix/Amazon streaming, however is loud once it gets warm.
I have not read the entire thread, but the last few pages Oppo’s and Sony’s get thrown around a lot as being the BD players to get.

I need:

  • Great BD playback (of course)
  • Great PQ/SQ, which probably most already do.
  • Netflix and Amazon Prime streaming, preferably with a quick interface.
  • 3D
  • I’d like to keep it sub $300, above that price I could buy a new PS3.


I do not need (but do not care if it has the feature).

  • SACD
  • DVD-A

The player will be paired with a 60ST60 and a Denon X2000.

Any insight would be appreciated.
post #15627 of 16483
^^^ Sony BDP-S5100 $89 shipped on Amazon
post #15628 of 16483
The Sony BDP-S5100 is the "obvious" choice. It has somewhat better streaming features than other players. It costs in the vicinity of $100.

The Panasonic DMP-BDT230 is the primary competition at about the same price point. Some people have reported that its streaming isn't as good as Sony's.

Players in that price range or less from other manufacturers have, shall we say, less than stellar reputations or support a very limited set of file types.
post #15629 of 16483

Bluray players and Regions

Hi all,

 

I am new to this forum and I can use some good advice about Bluray players.  I've just bought my first flat panel TV, a Panasonic plasma.  based on advice from my tech-savy friends, I completed the burn-in period and now have the local cable company's HD cable box.  I also have an old combi player so I can play some remaining VHS tapes; it is now hooked up via component cables and reset for 480p output.  That picture went from awful to not bad.

 

So now it's time for a new bluray player.  I'm currently looking at a Panasonic DMP-BD75 unit; I want the player to play Bluray, but also standard DVDs and CDs, which I think this model will do.  I'm willing to go beyond Panasonic; although it seems like a good idea to stick with the same manufacturer in general.

 

The other big thing is that I have a few DVDs that are actually made for the Region in England and Europe.  I know that  some players will play all regions, and that they are generally more expensive.  What I'm looking for it, for a pretty standard player like the one I've mentioned, can they be reset to play other regions?  If so, can I switch back and forth, or can they be set for all regions once I get one home?

 

Any light you can shed on this will be much appreciated.

 

Thanks, Jim

post #15630 of 16483
Playing standard BDs, DVDs and CDs is universal at this point...as you've noticed, yeah, when you throw different regions into the mix is where things either get really expensive or really cheap. The Seiki SR212S seems to be the most recent inexpensive player that can be "tweaked" to allow for multi-region DVD/BD playback; apart from that there are some Toshiba models (the BDX1100/2100/3100, AIUI), at least one Insignia (NS-BRDVD4), the Seiki BD660 if you can still find it, and a couple of others.

Above that point, if memory serves, you're looking at getting something like the Pioneer BDP-62FD (which can be modified) or taking your chances with trying to get custom firmware from elsewhere for one of Panasonic's mid-to-upper-range players or going all the way and springing for an Oppo and a hardware modification kit.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Blu-ray Players
AVS › AVS Forum › Blu-ray & HD DVD › Blu-ray Players › OFFICIAL "HELP ME CHOOSE A PLAYER" THREAD: Can't decide? Start HERE.