I don't like Sony. Its personal. I will admit it.
I have a lite-on bluray player as well as an xbox addon for HTPC. Own 2 other HD DVD players. A Wii. And 7 MS PCs.
I used to like Sony when I had my PS1, but I, like so many others lost my faith in them. Trying to force a $600 console on everyone back in 2006 didn't help either. And they helped kill my HD DVD.
Well, I am in the process of either downscaling my HTPC or getting rid of it entirely.
It pains me to say this, but the PS3 seems to be a descent replacement.
- It is a bluray player. Has optical out now for my Onkyo 304 receiver and I can bitstream the audio out to the 606 that I am upgrading to a year from now. And it seems to be the most reliable.
- It can play back audio. The software on the site seems decent although it is hard to really see how it works (I hate their website).
- It can play back Photos. It supports flash cards. I take alot of photos
- It can surf the web.
- The hard drive is easily upgradeable.
- It supports external hard drives.
- It can stream off of a PC for some content
- It is a Sony.
- No analog out to my onkyo (minor - my DVHD805 is using them anyway)
- Can't play back studio website shows on NBC.com or ABC.com (big)
- I think it is kinda ugly and doesn't look good in my rack
- The kids will bother me wanting to play games. (big)
- Not easily compatible with a Harmony remote. Yes, I know there is a workaround.
The original option is keep the HTPC, but strip it down and just get a SA BD player like the BD-P1400.
I don't want to game on it. I am a PC gamer... so is the family. And we have a Wii as well.