or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Blu-ray & HD DVD › Blu-ray Players › OFFICIAL "HELP ME CHOOSE A PLAYER" THREAD: Can't decide? Start HERE.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

OFFICIAL "HELP ME CHOOSE A PLAYER" THREAD: Can't decide? Start HERE. - Page 9

post #241 of 16490
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Silver View Post

I am currently debtating between a PS3 and the Panny BD30. I have read a zillion threads and I honestly can't figure out which way to go and welcome any thoughts that anyone might have. Assume for the purpose of the thread that I am not interested in the gaming aspect of the PS3, the difference to me seem to be this:

Both players are great and have a strong track record of reliability and feature set. If all else fails, you should make a "cultural" choice:

The BD-30 is certainly the most accomplished standalone player to date. If you own (or will own) an AV receiver supporting the advanced audio formats, and don't really care for web content, you can go for it with confidence.

The PS3 is a transformer which morphs into a game console, a Blu-ray player or a media center device according to your desires. Unlike what people feared at the beginning, it turned out to be a world class BD player. The PS3 will be upgraded to Profile 2.0. It doesn't support DTS MA but should do so (to some extent) in the future.

Also, the BD-30 is rackable while the PS3 needs some space for the air circulation. OTOH, the PS3 is WiFi friendly and its firmware is updated very frequently.

Both players have their strengths and you cannot go wrong with either one.

If you're still undecided, just pick the one with the desgin you like best.
post #242 of 16490
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Silver View Post

Donnie, Thank you for the clarification.

I am currently debtating between a PS3 and the Panny BD30. I have read a zillion threads and I honestly can't figure out which way to go and welcome any thoughts that anyone might have. Assume for the purpose of the thread that I am not interested in the gaming aspect of the PS3, the difference to me seem to be this:

PS3 can do firmware update via wifi. Panasonic has no internet connection and firmware updates must be done via manual CD.

PS3 is not Harmony compatible (not a big deal to me), but is futureproof(ish)

Is that it ? Someone Help !!!!!!

There is an audio advantage for the BD30 - it will pass DTS-MA via bitstream to an AVR that will decode it. PS3 doesn't do that (at least now - some are holding out hope that Sony will enable DTS-MS through FW).
post #243 of 16490
Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryChanin View Post

Hi,

The Sony BDP-S300 is a basic player which, according to Widescreen Review, has very good video. It can be purchased for less than $300.

Larry

Not any more. Have you seen the prices of the 300 recently? They are no longer in the sub $300 range. PS3 at this point is the best buy.
post #244 of 16490
Quote:
Originally Posted by IMNuts View Post

Not any more. Have you seen the prices of the 300 recently? They are no longer in the sub $300 range. PS3 at this point is the best buy.

I think he means buying it from non-mainstream retail stores
post #245 of 16490
PS3 is good if you want to play games but the remote is not IR so it is not programmable to a universal remote. Also, side by side the picture looked better (to me) on the s300.

I just returned an 80 gig PS3 and got the BDP-S300. We have PS2 and a xbox360 on a flat screen in the den so it works out. Actually returned a Toshiba A-3 too, gave the HD movies to my daughter and jumped ship to bluray.
post #246 of 16490
Ok, so the question arises here and elsewhere... wait for the Panny BD-50 and "BD Live" or get a player now?

Thusfar, I don't find myself particularly excited about the potential features capable with BD-live, and I wonder how much actual content there will be in the near future. Does anyone feel particularly positive about BD-live, anticipating the features that this technology makes possible, and, if so, can you extol upon its merits to those of us who remain blind to them? And do you think that we'll see much in the way of such impressive BD-live content on discs in the near future?

Also, any fear that the first player that's BD-live capable may come up short in the implementation? I realize that Panny seems to be the best at manufacturing a more glitch-free, smooth-playing BD product, but I wonder if this would likely still be a "very first gen" player with the often attendant problems of a newly implemented technology?

For those of you deciding between purchasing now and awaiting the BD50, are there any other considerations that have proved important to your decision-making? Thanks!
post #247 of 16490
Quote:
Originally Posted by IMNuts View Post

Not any more. Have you seen the prices of the 300 recently? They are no longer in the sub $300 range. PS3 at this point is the best buy.

S300 is priced at $299.99 at Electronics Expo.. if you have one near you...
post #248 of 16490
Quote:
Originally Posted by aham23 View Post

man i am torn. i want the flexibility that the PS3 offers but the bluetooth remote is a deal killer. i want ONE remote and that is it. the BD30 is my other choice, but the lack of an ethernet port bums me out. i like the idea of easy firmware updates. anyway, just being a crab arse. later.

You can use your IR universal remote with this PS3 IR thingy:

www DOT schmartz DOT com
I can't post URLs until I get 3 posts

I am using this with my Harmony 880 with no problems and full functionality except for power on/off (running F@H so I don't want it off). Just tell Harmony it's a PS2 DVD player. He also has a version with power on/off functionality if you need that.
post #249 of 16490
This should be simple answer from you guys. He has a Samsung 5265 52" DLP.

He is only using the speakers from the TV and will not ever upload any firmware.
(He lives way out in the country and only has dial-up and doesn't care.)

Which Blu-ray would be best for him?

I thought I would go with the samsung so that his TV remote would control it,
but after reading this it sounds like the samsungs need firmware updates all of the time.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.
MC
post #250 of 16490
Quote:
Originally Posted by mc4saints View Post

This should be simple answer from you guys. He has a Samsung 5265 52" DLP.

He is only using the speakers from the TV and will not ever upload any firmware.
(He lives way out in the country and only has dial-up and doesn't care.)

Which Blu-ray would be best for him?

I thought I would go with the samsung so that his TV remote would control it,
but after reading this it sounds like the samsungs need firmware updates all of the time.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.
MC

If regular FW updates are not possible, I would avoid Blu-ray for another year or so until the format stabilizes. Until then, players will need FW updates. Some manufacturers (perhaps all of them have this obligation) will send out FW update discs if you call them and get put on the mailing list.
post #251 of 16490
Quote:
Originally Posted by krisjan View Post

If regular FW updates are not possible, I would avoid Blu-ray for another year or so until the format stabilizes. Until then, players will need FW updates. Some manufacturers (perhaps all of them have this obligation) will send out FW update discs if you call them and get put on the mailing list.

Thanks for the info, I know Toshiba sends out discs because I an A2. Anyone know for sure which manufacturers send out update discs? Dad would not have a problem throwing the disc in.

Thanks
MC
post #252 of 16490
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Malloy View Post

Ok, so the question arises here and elsewhere... wait for the Panny BD-50 and "BD Live" or get a player now?

Thusfar, I don't find myself particularly excited about the potential features capable with BD-live, and I wonder how much actual content there will be in the near future. Does anyone feel particularly positive about BD-live, anticipating the features that this technology makes possible, and, if so, can you extol upon its merits to those of us who remain blind to them? And do you think that we'll see much in the way of such impressive BD-live content on discs in the near future?

Also, any fear that the first player that's BD-live capable may come up short in the implementation? I realize that Panny seems to be the best at manufacturing a more glitch-free, smooth-playing BD product, but I wonder if this would likely still be a "very first gen" player with the often attendant problems of a newly implemented technology?

For those of you deciding between purchasing now and awaiting the BD50, are there any other considerations that have proved important to your decision-making? Thanks!

I kind of don't understand why people think that in next few months any of the audio formats will be fixed. Fox has now DTS HDMA, tomorrow Paramount will have something different, so what will you do then? wait for another six months? If one wants to wait then I guess one can keep waiting for ever. I guess pulling the trigger when you get a player with your price is which should be the first thing to look for with decent tech features. If you can afford a $500 then fine, if not then get one $300. Do you realistically think that any technology will be constant forever ? And also,can you assume that BD companies will drop their prices to $150-200 to sell more when they know they have market in their hands , at least now when HD DVD is getting out .
These tech changing things are unpredictable in my books. And by waiting, all one is doing is just missing another day of high definition enjoyment.
post #253 of 16490
Help me understand this please. According to the Panasonic site, the BC30K has a DTS-HD decoder. The DTS website says that a receiver will pass thru the DTS-HD MA to the DAC and onto the speakers from a player with the DTS-HD decoder using HDMI 1.1 or 1.2 and so you get the DTS-HD Audio. So is the problem here that the HDMI V1.3 BC30K player connected to a HDMI 1.2 receiver will not get the decoded bitstream audio because of the different HDMI?

Thanks
post #254 of 16490
The post x-mas prices I've been seeing on BD players blow. It's like the BD camp isn't even going to answer the new HD DVD player pricing. I'd hold off until something decent gets in the $250 - $275 range. Don't shell out $300+ for something unless it meets all of your needs (profile 1.1 or 2.0, internal decoding of TrueHD, ethernet, etc.)

Also keep in mind that a LOT of BD movies use DTS-HD Master Audio, whereas only a couple HD DVD movies use it. So the PS3's inability to deal with it is a much bigger drawback than an HD DVD player's inability to internally decode DTS-HD MA. And, unlike some, I'm not holding my breath for Sony releasing a DTS-HD MA firmware update for the PS3.

Plus, you really want your audio receiver to decode the audio if possible, as you get error correction. PCM has no error correction and thus is affected by jitter. I know a lot of people swear there is no difference, but I've done it both ways and prefer the way it sounds when my AVR is decoding it.
post #255 of 16490
Quote:
Originally Posted by isingh View Post

I kind of don't understand why people think that in next few months any of the audio formats will be fixed. Fox has now DTS HDMA, tomorrow Paramount will have something different, so what will you do then? wait for another six months? If one wants to wait then I guess one can keep waiting for ever. I guess pulling the trigger when you get a player with your price is which should be the first thing to look for with decent tech features. If you can afford a $500 then fine, if not then get one $300. Do you realistically think that any technology will be constant forever ? And also,can you assume that BD companies will drop their prices to $150-200 to sell more when they know they have market in their hands , at least now when HD DVD is getting out .
These tech changing things are unpredictable in my books. And by waiting, all one is doing is just missing another day of high definition enjoyment.

The reason I am waiting is not for any of the reasons stated here. This 1.0, then 1.1, then 2.0 business is just crazy. The hardware should always be in front of the media in my opinion. Put out players that meet the highest level of the standard and be done with it, and the media will catch up.

I understand cost is a factor, as adding the requirements in the player to be fully 2.0 compliant is more expensive than a 1.0 player. But confusion and frustration will reign supreme until they are all at 2.0, in my opinion. And that will impact adoption more so than a higher price, over time.

I was ready to jump on one of the two Denon players coming out as I am a huge fan, but now I see they are both 1.1 only. Do I spend $2k on a BD player hoping that the company will have made allowances to get me to 2.0 with only a firmware upgrade?

Whether you will use BD-live or not is not the point to me. Everybody just get to the end now, so nobody has to think about what they can and can't do with their particular player based on what profile it is at...all of these players out there with varying levels of capabilities.....nuts...

I desparately want to jump on the BD train, but not until the final standard is met by manufacturers..Of course, I might not be able to stand holding out til then and might just give in....
post #256 of 16490
Quote:
Originally Posted by Z06_Pilot View Post

The reason I am waiting is not for any of the reasons stated here. This 1.0, then 1.1, then 2.0 business is just crazy. The hardware should always be in front of the media in my opinion. Put out players that meet the highest level of the standard and be done with it, and the media will catch up.

I understand cost is a factor, as adding the requirements in the player to be fully 2.0 compliant is more expensive than a 1.0 player. But confusion and frustration will reign supreme until they are all at 2.0, in my opinion. And that will impact adoption more so than a higher price, over time.

I was ready to jump on one of the two Denon players coming out as I am a huge fan, but now I see they are both 1.1 only. Do I spend $2k on a BD player hoping that the company will have made allowances to get me to 2.0 with only a firmware upgrade?

Whether you will use BD-live or not is not the point to me. Everybody just get to the end now, so nobody has to think about what they can and can't do with their particular player based on what profile it is at...all of these players out there with varying levels of capabilities.....nuts...

I desparately want to jump on the BD train, but not until the final standard is met by manufacturers..Of course, I might not be able to stand holding out til then and might just give in....

I agree!
FWIW, this site says the Denon players are Profile 2.0
http://www.idoblu.co.uk/page2%20Blu-ray%20Players.html
I'd like Denon as well, but they are out of my price range.
post #257 of 16490
Need some input on this system...

TV: Sammy 58" Plasma (FP-5884)
HTIB: Sammy AS720ST
DVD: Sammy BD-P1400

I want a 7.1 system so I would have to purchase 2 more speakers for the HTIB.

Questions on above system:

1. What audio format(s) would I be "missing"
2. Can everything be hooked up via HDMI or do I need other cables
3. The TV is a lock, are there better choices for the Blu-Ray and HTIB in the same price
range that will give me 7.1 surround
4. Can I borrow some money?
post #258 of 16490
I'll be feeding the PS3 to my PDP-5080HD 1080p@24hz over HDMI and the audio optical to my receiver, will it downmix audio tracks to 1.5mbit DTS like the A2 does? How about standard DVD upconversion... as good as XBOX360 & Toshiba HD-A2?
post #259 of 16490
Quote:
Originally Posted by boostfrenzy View Post

I'll be feeding the PS3 to my PDP-5080HD 1080p@24hz over HDMI and the audio optical to my receiver, will it downmix audio tracks to 1.5mbit DTS like the A2 does? How about standard DVD upconversion... as good as XBOX360 & Toshiba HD-A2?

BD handles legacy support a little bit different than HD DVD. There is no transcoding to DTS like A2 (or transcoding to DD like A3).

If you play a DD+ or TrueHD track the PS3 will extract the "core" DD*.
If you play a DTS-HD or DTS-HD MA track the PS3 will extract the "core" DTS.
Not sure how PS3 handled PCM tracks over optical? Maybe someone else knows.

* Roger confirmed that DD+ & TrueHD do not have a core track in the same manor as DTS-HD however they have a companion packet which is functionally similar. Roger stated that Dolby doesn't use the term "core" because the companion packet is not used in decoding the TrueHD track.
post #260 of 16490
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniderhouse View Post

You can use your IR universal remote with this PS3 IR thingy:

www DOT schmartz DOT com
I can't post URLs until I get 3 posts

I am using this with my Harmony 880 with no problems and full functionality except for power on/off (running F@H so I don't want it off). Just tell Harmony it's a PS2 DVD player. He also has a version with power on/off functionality if you need that.

$35 bones. now you got me thinking, or rethinking, or......

seriously though, do you have one and does it work as advertised?

later.
post #261 of 16490
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daveyd View Post

Need some input on this system...

TV: Sammy 58" Plasma (FP-5884)
HTIB: Sammy AS720ST
DVD: Sammy BD-P1400

I want a 7.1 system so I would have to purchase 2 more speakers for the HTIB.

Questions on above system:

1. What audio format(s) would I be "missing"
2. Can everything be hooked up via HDMI or do I need other cables
3. The TV is a lock, are there better choices for the Blu-Ray and HTIB in the same price
range that will give me 7.1 surround
4. Can I borrow some money?



?
post #262 of 16490
Quote:
Originally Posted by Z06_Pilot View Post

Whether you will use BD-live or not is not the point to me. Everybody just get to the end now, so nobody has to think about what they can and can't do with their particular player based on what profile it is at...all of these players out there with varying levels of capabilities.....nuts...

I desparately want to jump on the BD train, but not until the final standard is met by manufacturers..Of course, I might not be able to stand holding out til then and might just give in....

Well, I do think it's relevant whether or not one plans to use any of the 2.0/BD-live features (hence, my post!). If you'll notice, I dismissed all BD-live related features as being entirely insignificant, at least when it comes to me and at least with regard to the application I've heard about. I expected someone to say "hold on there, lil guy. Let me tell you what BD-live is all about and why you'll want to hold out for a 2.0 capable player."

No-one did that. Maybe the right person hasn't yet entered the conversation. But, so far as I can tell, there's no good reason for me to await 2.0/BD-live, and pay a premium over the current models for it. Moreover, I suspect that much like other "new" features, it may be poorly implemented right out of the gate, even though I conceded that Panny seems to do a bit better in this regard.

So, seriously, if you're awaiting 2.0/BD-live... why? What about it will make the Blu-ray experience so much better for you that you'll sit tight until it's a reality and pay a premium for it?
post #263 of 16490
Quote:
Originally Posted by namechamps View Post

BD handles legacy support a little bit different than HD DVD. There is no transcoding to DTS like A2 (or transcoding to DD like A3).

If you play a DD+ or TrueHD track the PS3 will extract the "core" DD*.
If you play a DTS-HD or DTS-HD MA track the PS3 will extract the "core" DTS.
Not sure how PS3 handled PCM tracks over optical? Maybe someone else knows.

* Roger confirmed that DD+ & TrueHD do not have a core track in the same manor as DTS-HD however they have a companion packet which is functionally similar. Roger stated that Dolby doesn't use the term "core" because the companion packet is not used in decoding the TrueHD track.


hmm so which audio do you want to run over optical, how's the SDdvd upconvert?
post #264 of 16490
I am coming from HD-DVD and looking to buy a Blu player. I am about to go to the store to buy it but before I do I wanted to confirm a few things. Is the PS3 the only machine that will update to the 2.0? Is there any advantage in waiting to buy a Blu player in a few months? Thanks in advance.
post #265 of 16490
???
Getting ready to leave...Anyone???
post #266 of 16490
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigtiny50 View Post

???
Getting ready to leave...Anyone???

Yes the PS3 is the only current player which will be upgradeable to 2.0. Waiting for the Panny BD50 will get you a 2.0 player which can decode all formats and send them over the analog components (useful if your receiver is old). The questions are, what will it cost, how long will you have to wait and how well will it work.
post #267 of 16490
Looking for a BD player....

I currently run my A35 (Oppo 981HD for SDs) via HDMI to my Onk 805 then HDMI to Mits 56" DLP. Audio is bitstreamed and pic is set to 1080p/24. Ethernet for web enhanced content and firmware updates. This setup is awesome and trouble free.

What BD player can I get (now or within 3 months) that I can hook into my system with the only difference being what type of disc I put into it?

I will not buy a BD player that cannot bitstream to the 805....

Thanks....
post #268 of 16490
Quote:
Originally Posted by legierk View Post

Looking for a BD player....

I currently run my A35 (Oppo 981HD for SDs) via HDMI to my Onk 805 then HDMI to Mits 56" DLP. Audio is bitstreamed and pic is set to 1080p/24. Ethernet for web enhanced content and firmware updates. This setup is awesome and trouble free.

What BD player can I get (now or within 3 months) that I can hook into my system with the only difference being what type of disc I put into it?

I will not buy a BD player that cannot bitstream to the 805....

Thanks....

If you can wait the Panny BD50 (Profile 2.0/BD-Live), if you can't wait, get the Panny BD30 (profile 1.1). They will both bitstream to your 805. Just depends on whether or not you want the on-line link or not.

-Splints
post #269 of 16490
Thanks for the no BS answer splinters. How much longer for the BH50?
post #270 of 16490
Quote:
Originally Posted by legierk View Post

Thanks for the no BS answer splinters. How much longer for the BH50?

Not until Spring.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Blu-ray Players
AVS › AVS Forum › Blu-ray & HD DVD › Blu-ray Players › OFFICIAL "HELP ME CHOOSE A PLAYER" THREAD: Can't decide? Start HERE.