or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Direct View (single tube) CRT Displays › Loewe Aconda Owners
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Loewe Aconda Owners

post #1 of 97
Thread Starter 
Wondering how other owners are tackling the problem of having only one component video input on their unit?

Thanks in advance for any responses.
post #2 of 97
I think you mean "component".

You can get a component video switch/selector.
post #3 of 97
Most receivers (even a 200 buck one) can do component switching nicely. Better yet there are a ton of receivers that will upconvert all your inputs via component for not too much as HDMI are becoming the stnadard.
post #4 of 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aconda1 View Post

Wondering how other owners are tackling the problem of having only one Composite video input on their unit?

Thanks in advance for any responses.


just wondering WHY you paid $5000 for that Tv. It's not even a flat screen.
How is the reliability, any problems?

http://ultimateavmag.com/crtdisplays/61/

http://www.loeweus.com/
post #5 of 97
Thread Starter 
Thanks for the correction
post #6 of 97
I picked my Aconda up at Robert Paul TV in St Paul for 900 bucks 3-4 years ago and it's been running like a charm. The video processing is really why this set excels versus other HD sets at the time. It still looks great and ALL sources look great when hooked up to it (even VCR and SDTV). That why it's a good idea to hook a VCR to it directly as it processes the image better than a upconverting stereo receiver. Yea ...this set was over priced at the time but if you can get your hands on one that doesn't have a power supply issue, I would do it. Technically the XBR960/970 (and a slew of other sets) are better BUT I still like the real world look of my Aconda.
post #7 of 97
Sony's have better detail.

Acondas have better color accuracy.
post #8 of 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonyfan View Post

just wondering WHY you paid $5000 for that Tv. It's not even a flat screen.
How is the reliability, any problems?

http://ultimateavmag.com/crtdisplays/61/

http://www.loeweus.com/

A curved screen is better in that size and even in 34"....cuts down on the focus problem near the edges.
post #9 of 97
I just replaced my Aconda Basalt with a plasma. It is about 4 years old and held up without a single reliability issue through frequent kid use. The Aconda is now in the play/game room in the basement.

I used the component input for my DVD player. I had a Samsung digital OTA box to get HD channels. It had a VGA connector and I ran that to the VGA input on the Aconda. The Aconda will accept RGB or Y/Pb/Pr on the VGA connector. In fact, the Basalt came with a Component->VGA adapter cable that allowed you to use the VGA input as a second component input. If I recall correctly, I don't think the standard Aconda came with that cable, I only got it after the dealer gave me the Basalt after I found out they had sold me a refurb Aconda lol. I'm sure you can find a similar adapter cable elsewhere, though.
post #10 of 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darren_C View Post

I only got it after the dealer gave me the Basalt after I found out they had sold me a refurb Aconda lol. I'm sure you can find a similar adapter cable elsewhere, though.


wow FRY's sold you a $5000 Aconda that was a refurb?
and they say used car sales people are the scum of the earth.
when you found out about the refurb were you screaming into the phone or did you quietly call your lawyer?
post #11 of 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonyfan View Post

wow FRY's sold you a $5000 Aconda that was a refurb?
and they say used car sales people are the scum of the earth.
when you found out about the refurb were you screaming into the phone or did you quietly call your lawyer?

At the time, it was among the best widescreen sets available and the biggest direct view CRT 16:9 model, too. The new Acondas were selling for $3k on sale, the Basalts were $4k. I got mine from a local home theater store. From what I remember, there was a Loewe USA "Friends and Family" deal where you could get a B-stock version of the Aconda for like $1000 straight from Loewe, which was a great deal even on a refurb. Apparently, some dealers got a hold of some of the refurbs and sold them as new.

I wouldn't have known except I saw the "B stock" tag on the box when they were unpacking. I think I posted about it at AVS forum and someone sent me a PM with the pdf of the Friends and Family refurb deal as a heads up and I confirmed it with Loewe customer service. The set had a couple of issues and when I asked the dealer if it could be related to the B stock sticker on the box, they quickly offered to replace the set with the Basalt without any hassle, lol. I'm guessing dealers weren't supposed to be reselling them at all, let alone as new...

Getting a Basalt for $3k was a great deal at the time for a highly touted model. With what you can get now, it seems like a waste of money, of course. Not much different than buying a computer...
post #12 of 97
There is no shame in buying a Loewe. I gave my SDTV 30" to my dad. Best Picture I have seen in a long time considering what it was given. THey had highgloss black finish 5yrs ago. That is just now standard on flats today.
post #13 of 97
I still have yet to see anything beat my 38" Aconda with deep blacks and pure colors with OTA- HD or DVD.
post #14 of 97
The Loewe 38" Aconda has the best image I have seen on ANY display to date. Thats why, when I had the chance, I picked up one from a client for $500. We sold a ton of them when they were still around, even at $3500-$5000. If you wanted video accuracy, it was well worth it.

I just had to lug the thing out to the living room to use a sit-in, while my Mits Diamond DLP is waiting for a bulb to arrive. I have the Xbox 360 hooked up VGA. It looks fine, but the setup in the Xbox doesnt allow you to output 1080i....640x480 it the only format it sends that the Loewe will sync too...but hey...it is what it is.

That being said, you could always use a component video switcher or an A/V receiver or processor. Of course this will lose you the ability to calibrate for each source independent of the others, but what else can you do?
post #15 of 97
Realize that it's been a while since anyone has posted on this thread - though hope to get a response as other posters seem to be knowledgeable and helpful

I have a Loewe Aconda 30 and love the set but want to connect a PS3 for gaming and Blu Ray capabilities

I've never run anything but SD to the set and have no HD OTA tuner (will not be watching TV HD or otherwise) and would be happy with the PS3 as my only input

Is there an expedient solve for this that will give me great quality at true 1080i?
or should I looking to invest in a new set

thanks in advance
post #16 of 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by amonroe View Post

Realize that it's been a while since anyone has posted on this thread - though hope to get a response as other posters seem to be knowledgeable and helpful

I have a Loewe Aconda 30 and love the set but want to connect a PS3 for gaming and Blu Ray capabilities

I've never run anything but SD to the set and have no HD OTA tuner (will not be watching TV HD or otherwise) and would be happy with the PS3 as my only input

Is there an expedient solve for this that will give me great quality at true 1080i?
or should I looking to invest in a new set

thanks in advance

You didn't state what the problem is?
post #17 of 97
simply stated I'm looking for a solve on connecting an hdmi signal to a vga input with on an HD ready/compatible TV
post #18 of 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by amonroe View Post

simply stated I'm looking for a solve on connecting an hdmi signal to a vga input with on an HD ready/compatible TV

If you are talking about using the PS3 you should use the component cables and send a 1080i signal. That is what I used with my 36" Aconda, and it produced a very nice image. Why not go that route? I have never heard of an HDMI to VGA converter.
post #19 of 97
Just for kicks i hooked up my Tosh, HD A20 DVD player to my 38" Aconda, it's just unreal on the Loewe. Even my Mits 52628 can't even come close to the bright colore and pure blacks.

I don't know how HDMI would even work with the Loewe.
post #20 of 97
You can find HDMI to VGA or HDMI to Component converter boxes on ebay but they are fairly expensive.
post #21 of 97
Thanks for the feedback thus far -

Yes before I posted I had read another thread on this board recommending the HDMI to VGA converter listed below. In doing further research it sounds like there might be some sync issues with it.

couldn't link the URL but it's
hdfury.com

And honestly I had never thought that the component input on my TV would be HiDef because the only mention of 1080i in the programming menu is next to the VGA hookup.

Are you running that component wire through some type of HD cable box/receiver first?

I am trying to avoid getting a cable box but it does sound like it's the only reasonable way to get a HD signal in to that TV

It's encouraging to hear about how people speak about the picture on their sets. It's certainly the reason I got the TV to begin with. And while I do think the picture is killer I was also interested in how the motion looks without it being progressive. Since the set had the built in features of cinema mode and simulating pulldown ratios thought it might mask some of that difference between an interlaced and progressive motion... ?
post #22 of 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by amonroe View Post

Thanks for the feedback thus far -

Yes before I posted I had read another thread on this board recommending the HDMI to VGA converter listed below. In doing further research it sounds like there might be some sync issues with it.

couldn't link the URL but it's
hdfury.com

And honestly I had never thought that the component input on my TV would be HiDef because the only mention of 1080i in the programming menu is next to the VGA hookup.

Are you running that component wire through some type of HD cable box/receiver first?

I am trying to avoid getting a cable box but it does sound like it's the only reasonable way to get a HD signal in to that TV

It's encouraging to hear about how people speak about the picture on their sets. It's certainly the reason I got the TV to begin with. And while I do think the picture is killer I was also interested in how the motion looks without it being progressive. Since the set had the built in features of cinema mode and simulating pulldown ratios thought it might mask some of that difference between an interlaced and progressive motion... ?

I can't imagine an HDTV that does not take 1080i over component -- especially one of the Acondas. That combination should work quite well with the PS3. You really don't need the upscale with the TV, so the PS3 DVD playback should be very good with the analog connection.

Does your set have component input?
post #23 of 97
Yeah it does that sounds like the way to go and it would be dope if it worked out like that
post #24 of 97
Some early Aconda sets would only accept 1080i on the VGA input. We sold a lot of the 38" like this and had to sell an Audio Authority component to VGA adapter box. It was like $120. My later model 38" will accept 1080 on either the component or VGA...or both...so I am good. I hope you get it figured out. You may have to use some kind of external switcher or receiver and the converter box to make it work the way you want.
post #25 of 97
I have a 38" Aconda that takes 1080i over component. Does anyone know if I can send a 1080i signal over component from a blu-ray player? I've heard that blu-ray players will downscale the signal to SD when run through component.
post #26 of 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by amenon View Post

I have a 38" Aconda that takes 1080i over component. Does anyone know if I can send a 1080i signal over component from a blu-ray player? I've heard that blu-ray players will downscale the signal to SD when run through component.

I don;t think there is a Blu-ray play that cannot output 1080i at full resolution. No downscaling involved with Blu-ray, but of course DVD playback is limited to 480p. I fed my old Aconda Blu-ray 1080i images from a Sony S300, Panny BD-10? and a PS3 -- not to mention an HD-XA2. The images were all wonderful.
post #27 of 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by miata View Post

I don;t think there is a Blu-ray play that cannot output 1080i at full resolution. No downscaling involved with Blu-ray, but of course DVD playback is limited to 480p. I fed my old Aconda Blu-ray 1080i images from a Sony S300, Panny BD-10? and a PS3 -- not to mention an HD-XA2. The images were all wonderful.

Great, thanks for your help. I appreciate it.
post #28 of 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aconda1 View Post

Wondering how other owners are tackling the problem of having only one component video input on their unit?

Thanks in advance for any responses.

I'm just trying to see what was wrong with your question or the wording thereof.

Hmmm.

>Wondering how other owners are tackling the problem of having only one component video input on their unit?<</font>

"component", "component video"...uhh....mm..they both seem to mean the same thing....

Nope, nothing looks wrong here!
post #29 of 97
That's because it was edited. It probably said "composite" originally.
post #30 of 97
Someone mentioned the VGA port earlier-- here's directions on how to make your own component video->VGA cable:

http://myhometheater.homestead.com/vgacable.html

I'm going to try it out next weekend. By all accounts it should give my Aventos two separate 1080i inputs without buying a switchbox.

Component video switches are going for awful cheap on ebay though.

I love the set. I'm going to ride it until it konks out. I hope it lasts a long time.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Direct View (single tube) CRT Displays › Loewe Aconda Owners