or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › HDTV › HDTV Recorders › Official AVS Motorola DCX series HD DVR Topic!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Official AVS Motorola DCX series HD DVR Topic! - Page 87

post #2581 of 4764
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomanystraydogs View Post

Good idea

"NBA Basketball" title search = 153 results

"Lakers" keyword search = 35 results

Of course there are not 35 Lakers games in the next week but it's better than sifting through 153 results

Still no way to record the games as a series

Thx

I searched keyword "NBA BASKETBALL LAKERS" and found 24 results, most of them on NBA League Pass. In that case there were 3 results for about each game. One in SD, one in HD, and a replay. This may help narrow down a little more then you can save the search to run once a week and pick the ones you want. With their season schedule handy it shouldn't take too long. Selecting Auto-Record would be bad in this case I think although you could and cancel the ones you don't want. That seems like more work though to me.

Only two results that were not games came up. You can search up to three words with a maximum of 25 characters and spaces from what I have seen so far.
post #2582 of 4764
Quote:
Originally Posted by cavu View Post

  1. Remove the power cord from the DVR
  2. Remove the top cover using Nintendo "security bit"
  3. Remove the existing hard disk
  4. Replace with larger capacity hard disk that uses the same type connectors
  5. Turn DVR upside down and shake to remove loose washers, screws, debris, etc. that you dropped in there
  6. Replace cover
  7. Replace power cord and power up
  8. System will automatically format new disk and download firmware and guide data

That's it.

Has anyone else got this to work and see all the new drive space?

Anyone with a USA based cable operator tried this?
post #2583 of 4764
Look at my post 2458
post #2584 of 4764
Quote:
Originally Posted by mickinct View Post

Look at my post 2458

FYI, With a 500GB Comcast DCX3400-M, I've collected two HBO HD Movies and about 4 or 5 1-hour HD episodes of 6 or 7 network TV series that I doubt I'll ever have time to watch .... and I'm only at 45% of full HD capacity ..... Plus about 2/3 of the TV episodes become available in HD the next day after broadcast as free On-Demand.

The providers will probably start using 1TB hard drives within 6 months just to reduce On-Demand replays and free up local neighborhood system loads.

Much more cost effective to do that now that HD storage prices have plunged.
post #2585 of 4764
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigmutt View Post

...
I don't know how big the HDD is in this unit, is there a way to find this out?

Thanks.

Also, is there a way to change the brightness of the clock/channel indicator? It floods a dark room with bright, white light.
post #2586 of 4764
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigmutt View Post


Also, is there a way to change the brightness of the clock/channel indicator? It floods a dark room with bright, white light.

I drove down to a local shop that does automotive window tinting. They gave me a few scraps from the trash barrel. I cut and applied a piece over the display and it now looks like my other components when they're set to low brightness.
post #2587 of 4764
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbergman View Post

I drove down to a local shop that does automotive window tinting. They gave me a few scraps from the trash barrel. I cut and applied a piece over the display and it now looks like my other components when they're set to low brightness.

I use tint on all my gear. Takes the brightness out of the displays.
post #2588 of 4764
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomanystraydogs View Post

Gonna document these "hardware failure" tests here

TEST 1 - 9:50am - Both tuners set to same channel. Set recording for same channel at 10am.

TEST 1 RESULT - Recorded. Note: Recording was on background tuner.

Have another test scheduled for 10am

Well I tried about 5 different times 5 different ways, could not break it, recorded every time.

Did notice that it uses the background tuner to record, even if you are sitting on the channel scheduled to be recorded.

And if there are 2 scheduled recordings and both tuners are sitting on those channels, each tuner will switch to the other channel to record.

But I just know it's going to fail this week as usual. I will make note of what's going on when it happens.
post #2589 of 4764
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptMorn2374 View Post


TEST B:
Pressed Record on Tuner 2 for College Football on channel 4, record as planned when prompted for the Live Program notice, Continue and check space later on notification of 20% recording space left. Verified recording started this time.
Scheduled Recording on Tuner 1 for Andy Griffith Show, channel 163, Save until I delete, 9 minutes early.
Watched channel 163, show did not record, History shows due to fatal hardware error.

TEST C:
Pressed Record on Tuner 1 for Andy Griffith Show, channel 163, verified recording started.
Scheduled Recording for Tuner 2 for Thomas & Friends, channel 118, Save until I delete, 12 minutes early.
Watched channel 118, show did not record, History shows due to fatal hardware error.

Very interesting.

Looks like the scheduled recordings failed 'fatal hardware error' when a manual recording was taking place AND you were sitting on the channel scheduled to be recorded.

I will see if I can duplicate and report back.
post #2590 of 4764
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomanystraydogs View Post


Very interesting.

Looks like the scheduled recordings failed 'fatal hardware error' when a manual recording was taking place AND you were sitting on the channel scheduled to be recorded.

I will see if I can duplicate and report back.

I rarely just press record, I normally schedule recordings in advance from the guide when they fail. I don't normally use series either.
post #2591 of 4764
Quote:
Originally Posted by mickinct View Post

Re: dcx3400 recording to hdd panasonic dvr


dcx3400 recording to hdd panasonic dvr
Hello , i'm wondering if anyone knows why I cannot get the dcx3400 to output a 16:9 screen to my panasonic eh75vs recorder and record in full screen 16:9? i'm using s-video output, to the dvr.THE reason for asking is that I also have a dhg-500 sony high def recorder that has s-video outputs and when I hook it up to the panasonic it records in full aspect 16:9 perfect ratio.???
thanks for any help..

I have a Comcast DCX3400, and a Pioneer 640 DVDR. I use a component>S-Video converter to produce a 16x9 picture squeezed into a 4x3 frame, so I can make anamorphic DVDs. Monoprice now sells such a converter for $40+. I have been very happy with mine, some people haven't been happy. But, Monoprice is good about returns. As an added benefit, they remove all copy protection, although I've never need that with Comcast.
post #2592 of 4764
i have one of the first dcx3400 boxes that came out in my area. my box will pause live hdtv for only 22 minutes, then it starts playing again. i always figured this was normal until i was at my friend's house and saw that his box would pause for much longer (easily over an hour).

is this normal for the dcx3400 pausing hd? obviously it has the disk drive space to store much more information than 22 minutes of hd.. (and yes, if i record the program, i don't have this issue... but that gets dicey too because on my box i can't record after a program's scheduled end time -- another annoying quirk.)
post #2593 of 4764
Quote:
Originally Posted by clydefrog View Post

i have one of the first dcx3400 boxes that came out in my area. my box will pause live hdtv for only 22 minutes, then it starts playing again. i always figured this was normal until i was at my friend's house and saw that his box would pause for much longer (easily over an hour).

is this normal for the dcx3400 pausing hd? obviously it has the disk drive space to store much more information than 22 minutes of hd.. (and yes, if i record the program, i don't have this issue... but that gets dicey too because on my box i can't record after a program's scheduled end time -- another annoying quirk.)

My latest generation 500GB DCX3400-M (for Comcast's AnyRoom Service) still will pause HD only around 15-25 minutes depending on the the HD station and how much compression that station is using. FWIW, my old DCT HD box did the same.

Try comparing the same channels at the same time with your friend. BTW the only time it will pause longer for me is if I'm also recording the prorgram .... make sure your buddy was not unknowingly recording the program that he was using for bragging rights.
post #2594 of 4764
Quote:
Originally Posted by clydefrog View Post

i have one of the first dcx3400 boxes that came out in my area. my box will pause live hdtv for only 22 minutes, then it starts playing again. i always figured this was normal until i was at my friend's house and saw that his box would pause for much longer (easily over an hour).

is this normal for the dcx3400 pausing hd? obviously it has the disk drive space to store much more information than 22 minutes of hd.. (and yes, if i record the program, i don't have this issue... but that gets dicey too because on my box i can't record after a program's scheduled end time -- another annoying quirk.)

What do yo mean by "You can't record after a program's scheduled end time"?
post #2595 of 4764
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4mula1 View Post

What do yo mean by "You can't record after a program's scheduled end time"?

Say it's 7:45. Seinfeld is on at 7:30. You hit "record" and the DVR records the show, from 7:30 onwards, since it's all in the buffer.

But once it hits 8:00, hitting "record" will record the show at 8PM. Even if you rewind to back when Seinfeld was on, and it's playing in front of your eyes, there is no way to record what was buffered once it's past it's end time. In fact hitting record will wipe out the buffer for everything before the current program's start time. Same as changing a channel.

This behavior is not specific to the DCX boxes, it's how it is on Comcast software(at least on Moto hardware).
post #2596 of 4764
Quote:
Originally Posted by ak3883 View Post

Say it's 7:45. Seinfeld is on at 7:30. You hit "record" and the DVR records the show, from 7:30 onwards, since it's all in the buffer.

But once it hits 8:00, hitting "record" will record the show at 8PM. Even if you rewind to back when Seinfeld was on, and it's playing in front of your eyes, there is no way to record what was buffered once it's past it's end time. In fact hitting record will wipe out the buffer for everything before the current program's start time. Same as changing a channel.

This behavior is not specific to the DCX boxes, it's how it is on Comcast software(at least on Moto hardware).

Never thought about that (losing the buffer when starting a recording), but it seems logical. If it's past the program's end time, and you don't want to lose what's in the buffer, one thing you can do is swap tuners and set up the recording session on the second tuner. Then you can go back to the first tuner, and watch what remains in the buffer before switching to the new recording.
post #2597 of 4764
Quote:
Originally Posted by clydefrog View Post

i have one of the first dcx3400 boxes that came out in my area. my box will pause live hdtv for only 22 minutes, then it starts playing again

Mine also does the same thing, I noticed.
My other DVR, a model DCT-3416, is NOT like this: it will remain on pause and record (or just "back-record") for 2 hours or more depending on how much disk space is available to it.

So what's up with this?
post #2598 of 4764
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigmutt View Post

Mine also does the same thing, I noticed.
My other DVR, a model DCT-3416, is NOT like this: it will remain on pause and record (or just "back-record") for 2 hours or more depending on how much disk space is available to it.

So what's up with this?

Over the years, I've had a 6412, a 3416, a DCX 3400 and an AnyRoom DCX 3400, and not one of them has ever been able to pause an HD program for more than 20 minutes or so. SD programs, yes. HD programs, no. Perhaps the cable company sets the size of the pause buffer. But with Comcast in my area (Portland, OR), this has always been the case.
post #2599 of 4764
Quote:
Originally Posted by crossbeaux View Post

Never thought about that (losing the buffer when starting a recording), but it seems logical. If it's past the program's end time, and you don't want to lose what's in the buffer, one thing you can do is swap tuners and set up the recording session on the second tuner. Then you can go back to the first tuner, and watch what remains in the buffer before switching to the new recording.

Yes, that is all any forum member (including our new member clydefrog .... BTW, welcome) can do if it's past the show's end time .... save the buffer at all costs if that missed show must be watched ..... I believe this was discussed several years ago in most forums.
post #2600 of 4764
Problem: Set George Lopez as a series recording when show first came on. The show was on at 8p&11p. Then TWC stopped the east coast feed. So it now comes on at 11p&1a. I have 3 other series recordings set: KNBC @ 11p, KNBC @ 11:35p, and KCBS @ 11:35p. The 1a show conflicts with KNBC @ 12:35a and KCBS @ 12:35a.

Solution: Do a manual record first 35 min of Lopez from 11p-11:35p and the last 25 min from 1:35a-2:00a.

Problem: Series recordings must take priority over manual recordings. The DVR allows you to set up these recordings, but gives no warning that it will cancel them.

Solution: Set 1st manual recording @ 10:59 and since there is not enough time for the system to cancel it, it records. This will take the series not recording off of the 1a-2a slot. You can now set that manual recording from 1:35a-2:00a.

Anybody have any ideas? I don't know why I have to go through with all that crap. Next week I won't have a problem with Lopez anymore. I'll have a problem with Conan.
post #2601 of 4764
WOW... some kind of "hit" yesterday, which caused my DCX to reboot. I thought maybe TWC/LA had finally rolled out the latest A28 software update but no such luck.

Interestingly, the DCH in the other room did not take such a "hit". So it doesn't appear to have been a general brief power failure.

Anyway, when I noticed that two shows normally recorded every day had not gotten recorded yesterday I checked the upcoming recordings list, and much was missing and strangely other series shows had the "not scheduled" icon at very odd times while the normal times weren't even shown. Even odder, the channel numbers shown on some of the upcoming scheduled recordings was bizarre!

I then checked my "series recording" list and it was all trashed! Kind of looked like what it did when I had A28 specially early-installed by TWC on my DCX and their computer automatically back-leveled me to th A24 I was supposed to have. My series set under A28 now looked like garbage under A24. Obviously record layout changes in the software between the two releases explained this.

So I looked at the software running on my DCX and it was still A28. So any kind of software back-leveling was seemingly not involved with this current anomaly.

Anyway, I had no other recourse but to delete each and every one of my series recordings. Of course I couldn't yet recreate them (at least for the series currently airing) because it will take 3 days for the Guide to fully repopulate. But I will do that as soon as possible.

Furthermore, I decided to clean house on DVR History. Even though there is no "delete all" button which would be very convenient, I spent 30 minutes or so manually deleting each and every item. Strangely, there was one final obviously corrupted-data entry that just could not physically be deleted. In fact, when I tried to delete it the next item in the list got deleted... as if the software was just ignoring that invalid/invisible item and handling my request as if it had been for the next item down. Bottom line: when all was purged I still had this one garbage entry left, and it will be there forever.


I actually am very close to having "watched everything" in my recording list, coming close to "0% usage". So actually, when I get to that point (or close to it) when it becomes acceptable to "reformat the hard drive" I think I'd like to do just that. I really don't want this corrupted entry in DVR History around, potentially causing future unknown anomalous behavior of my DCX.

Does anybody remember what the proper sequence of actions is to cause the DCX to "format the hard drive" and basically restore the box to "factory default", or at least just clean out the drive?

Thanks.
post #2602 of 4764
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSperber View Post

Does anybody remember what the proper sequence of actions is to cause the DCX to "format the hard drive"

Found the answer for this one, referred to as "HDD Reset".

After some of the Guide repopulated I found all kinds of anomalies with previously series scheduled shows now showing up as one-shot recordings. Couldn't seem to "clean house" by deleting them. Other shows would then get strangely scheduled. And I couldn't set series recordings properly for upcoming shows that had finally appeared in the Guide.

So... time to "HDD Reset":

(1) DVR currently powered on

(2) press CABLE device, POWER off, and then immediately OK (this brings up the main diagnostic menu showing the d01-d13 sub-menus).

(3) Press 15-second rewind (backward curlicue) twice, MyDVR (also known as "LIST" on some remotes) three times, and then LIVE twice. Note that on my TWC Atlas 5-device remote these three buttons are left-to-right all in the same row on the remote. If you've re-programmed these buttons to be something else, or re-programmed some other button to be MyDVR/LIST (as I have, swapping it with the big green oval OnDemand button above it) you need to push whatever button you've assigned MyDVR/LIST to.

(4) The above sequence immediately triggered the hard drive formatting process and the DVR re-booted. I'm still waiting for the normal initial software downloads to complete, to confirm that I truly did erase the drive and ALL previous settings, recordings, scheduled recordings, DVR History, etc.

Note that after step (3) above the display panel should show CLR (according to what I read), and you're supposed to then push OK to confirm the hard drive reset request. Well I never got that. It just did its thing immediately.

Hopefully, all will be restored to normal DCX/A28 behavior once this all settles down. I'm sure that one residual garbage DVR History record was somehow involved with this final set of anomalies.
post #2603 of 4764
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSperber View Post

....
.....
Anyway, I had no other recourse but to delete each and every one of my series recordings. Of course I couldn't yet recreate them (at least for the series currently airing) because it will take 3 days for the Guide to fully repopulate. But I will do that as soon as possible.

.....

strange goings on...must be halloween related.

but, why of course couldn't you recreat series recording? if you have the current show showing in the guide, a series record instruction will be picked up when the guide fully poplulates, won't it?

bc
post #2604 of 4764
Quote:
Originally Posted by crossbeaux View Post

Never thought about that (losing the buffer when starting a recording), but it seems logical. If it's past the program's end time, and you don't want to lose what's in the buffer, one thing you can do is swap tuners and set up the recording session on the second tuner. Then you can go back to the first tuner, and watch what remains in the buffer before switching to the new recording.

but when you switch to tuner2 the buffer switches to tuner2, and when you return to tuner1 the buffer restarts again, i.e. the buffer is for the selected tuner and ends for that tuner when it isn't selected.

bc
post #2605 of 4764
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVbc View Post

but, why of course couldn't you recreate series recording? if you have the current show showing in the guide, a series record instruction will be picked up when the guide fully populates, won't it?

Yes, one would have thought so.

But there seemed to be a residual set of future scheduled recordings, from the previously existing series items, which now showed up as one-shot future recordings! Don't know how or why that should be, but it was.

Certainly I had already deleted all previous series recordings (which had all shown up as corrupted entries in the series list, and which I had manually deleted as my first step in the attempt to clean house from the "event" and get back to normal). I figured once I deleted the underlying series entries that all future scheduled recordings would also disappear. But I'm guessing since the series entries were all currently corrupted that there was no way the software could match up future recordings which should also be unscheduled.

And yet, there obviously was some disk-based information which remembered that at certain times on certain channels (over the next week, which is all my current old A28 software goes out to with its Guide, so that's all that any future scheduled series recordings could have existed for) that those shows needed to be recorded. And somehow, they now appeared as one-shot recordings instead of series recordings.

Furthermore, there were even future scheduled recordings from these previous series items which had not yet repopulated from the Guide, and only showed as "to be announced" (and therefore which I couldn't even try to manually delete). And yet, they were there... again confirming that there obviously was disk-based "memory" of the next week's scheduled recordings, at least physical channel and time.

I honestly can't explain why those "sticky" future scheduled recordings caused so much problem, but I'm fairly certain it had to do with the corrupted series entries which when I deleted them probably didn't really undo what they would have normally undone.


Well, it doesn't really matter any more now. Turns out the "HDD Reset" sequence I described earlier really DID clear the hard drive completely as I wanted. And now that sufficient time has passed to get the firmware/software reloaded I have confirmed that everything is now clean. No more residual entry in DVR History, no scheduled recordings of any kind, nothing in my recordings list... just completely empty.

I will now slowly recreate my series recordings as the Guide repopulates, and expect to be back to normal in no more than 3 days.

I'm very glad this happened on my DCX where I do daily recordings of talk and news shows almost entirely, with some assorted reality shows (e.g. Project Runway, which just finished its season). And I'd really "viewed" myself down to almost nothing left, so that erasing the hard drive really pained me very little.

It would have been a different story on my DCH, where I do all of my genuinely important HDTV series recordings that I watch seriously. I'm about 3 weeks behind on that one, and being forced to lose that drive's contents would have been something which would have caused me to proceed more slowly.

Can't wait to get my Ceton 4-tuner card and Win7 Windows Media Center and "record on one HTPC server, watch on any HDTV in the house" operational tomorrow (when TWC comes out to activate my M-Card), so that I can give back my DCX3400 and be done with it.
post #2606 of 4764
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVbc View Post

but when you switch to tuner2 the buffer switches to tuner2, and when you return to tuner1 the buffer restarts again, i.e. the buffer is for the selected tuner and ends for that tuner when it isn't selected.

You sure? I didn't think this is how it worked.

I always assumed that there were TWO buffers, one for each tuner. Didn't matter which one was in the "foreground" and that you were watching (or at least tuned to while you might be watching a previous recording).

As I understand it, both tuners accumulate up to 30 minutes of the currently active program on that channel (though it may go back only as far as the start time of the currently showing program, as has been suggested). You can swap tuners and view the accumulated buffer of what the background tuner which is now in the foreground had previously accumulated.

As long as you don't change channels on either tuner the buffer for that tuner remains intact and ongoing, be it in the background or foreground. Swapping tuners to get the other one to the foreground doesn't lose anything on either tuner.

I will re-confirm these beliefs by experiment, but I'm pretty sure that's how it works.
post #2607 of 4764
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVbc View Post

but when you switch to tuner2 the buffer switches to tuner2, and when you return to tuner1 the buffer restarts again, i.e. the buffer is for the selected tuner and ends for that tuner when it isn't selected.

bc

Not on any Motorola Comcast DVR I've ever used and I've used them all from the early DCT's to the latest DCX. Maybe your provider's SW is different than Comcast's?
post #2608 of 4764
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSperber View Post

You sure? I didn't think this is how it worked.

I always assumed that there were TWO buffers, one for each tuner. Didn't matter which one was in the "foreground" and that you were watching (or at least tuned to while you might be watching a previous recording).

As I understand it, both tuners accumulate up to 30 minutes of the currently active program on that channel (though it may go back only as far as the start time of the currently showing program, as has been suggested). You can swap tuners and view the accumulated buffer of what the background tuner which is now in the foreground had previously accumulated.

As long as you don't change channels on either tuner the buffer for that tuner remains intact and ongoing, be it in the background or foreground. Swapping tuners to get the other one to the foreground doesn't lose anything on either tuner.

I will re-confirm these beliefs by experiment, but I'm pretty sure that's how it works.

I get separate buffers, one for each tuner. Changing channels will reset them. The amount of time varies depends on several factors.
post #2609 of 4764
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptMorn2374 View Post

I get separate buffers, one for each tuner. Changing channels will reset them. The amount of time varies depends on several factors.

Simply swaping tuners will not reset the buffers, however changing a channel on either tuner (w/o first swapping) will indeed wipe out the buffer.

The current discusion is about "swapping" tuners and not about "changing" channels (Postings #2609 and #2611).

Please re-read those postings carefully.

There is definately a separate buffer for each tuner on all the dual tuner Moto DVR's I have ever used, including their latest DCX series.
post #2610 of 4764
I was merely attempting to agree eith DSperber and confirm his findings, not to offend.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: HDTV Recorders
AVS › AVS Forum › HDTV › HDTV Recorders › Official AVS Motorola DCX series HD DVR Topic!