I have newbie questions since I am spoiled by my old DTV Pal DVR and computers (Windows XP Pro. SP3's DVB Viewer Pro) for OTA (over the air) from my old home and using this new DVR DCX3400 DVR for a few months with TWC:
1. Is there a way to resize the closed captionings (CC) font and its size? They look ugly. How about turning it on/off easily without going through the annoying DVR menus? They still show up in DVR menus too and should only show in the video!
2. Is there no way to enter manual dates, times, etc. quickly for manual recordings? I wanted to enter 10/1 and 10:00 PM to 11:00 PM without using its TV guide. I should be able to enter the numbers from RC easily.
3. After setting up a recording for Sunday night, I noticed my future recording list is blank for the day (Saturday). I have to go to Sunday to see that future recording I just added. Is there a way to show ALL of my future recordings of all time?
4. With the supplied 1056B03 remote control, can it skip 30 seconds at all? I only can fast forward (FF) at different speeds.
5. Let's say I recorded something for over three hours. I don't want to watch the whole thing, but I would like to skip/start half-way or to/at its second hour? Do I really have to use fast forward at maximum speed (seems to be skip every two minutes per second)? That takes forever.
6. I noticed I had missing recordings and looked at the cancellations in my DVR's recording history logs. What happened to my scheduled recordings? I had a lot of the recordings and remotely cancelled ones. I can understand my manual canceled ones, but what about these "Not recorded due to a cancellation by the system." and "Not recorded due to the status of the channel." messages? Does this happen a lot to others with this DVR?
7. Is there a way to go to a specific channel (CNN, ComedyCentral, KTTV, etc.) with DVR's iGuide without entering its numbers (use names and/or call signs)? There are so many channels, it's difficult to remember their numbers to enter, and tedious to look them up.
8. How long does it usually take to update DVR's iGuide? Let's say there's a power outage or I had to manually disconnect the Motorola DVR-DCX3400. Does it take hours long to update them? I wonder why DVR doesn't keep it in its memory until the old data is outdated.
9. A few weeks ago, I think I had my first DVR crash and automatic reboot. I was deleting a bunch of my recording histories (had a bunch of cancellations from me on purpose, system, and channel status in its logs), and then all the sudden the Samsung SyncMaster T22B350 HDTV said it lost HDMI signal from the DVR for almost 15 seconds or so. DVR's LED screen said dUI (drunk under influence? :P), and it seems to have rebooted. That's not good. Does this happen to you guys often? It seems like a reboot would mess up iGuide too and have to wait for it to be updated. Does this DVR keep logs and stuff like cable modems do? I did not see one except for recording histories. I did see the technical specifications like firmware version (24.35).
Thank you in advance.