or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP › Official Epson Pro Cinema 1080UB Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Official Epson Pro Cinema 1080UB Thread - Page 2

post #31 of 1639
It jumped up a $1,000 for the street price from the end of last year.
post #32 of 1639
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgathright View Post

It jumped up a $1,000 for the street price from the end of last year.

The price for the Epson is $2999 (down to $2799 with a $200 rebate) for the home version and $3999 (down to $3799 with rebate) for the Pro version. I know they listed an erroneous price way back when it was first announced. I think it was around $2500 or so. But $2799 is quite close to that initial price.
post #33 of 1639
Thread Starter 
I got an excellent deal from Marc at AVS. Call them. But Epson might have put more pricing restrictions on the PowerLite Pro line since I got my deal. Again call them and you might get some other incentives.

Plus you get a very versatile mount, an extra lamp and an additional year on the warranty on top of the ISF certification. Plus its BLACK.

The Pro is worth it.
post #34 of 1639
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmlowz View Post

Hello,

Quote: what rebate would that be? I thought the epson rebate did not cover the UB models.

Epson has now offered a 200.00 rebate on the UB also

rmlowz

Hello. Does anyone have a link or pdf for the rebate on the TW2000/ PowerLite Pro 1080UB? I can't even find the new model 1080 on the Epson website. Thanks!

Kurt
post #35 of 1639
Sorry for my lack of knowledge/stupid question, but who is Marc at AVS? What is the phone number? Is that the A/V Science Store A/V Science, Inc. 877 823 4452?


Thanks,
Pasquale
post #36 of 1639
How am I going to benifit from these "ISF" settings in the Pro version? I was thinking about getting the home version
post #37 of 1639
There are no 'ISF' setting per se. The Pro version has two password protected slots where an ISF tech can calibrate your PJ for daylight and night, and then lock in the settings so you can't stuff them up.

Unless you have your PJ ISF calibrated, they are moot.

They will, on the other hand, probably have the most accurate out of the box settings and so may be worth using.
post #38 of 1639
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pdemaio View Post

Sorry for my lack of knowledge/stupid question, but who is Marc at AVS? What is the phone number? Is that the A/V Science Store A/V Science, Inc. 877 823 4452?


Thanks,
Pasquale

Marc Rumsey is a sales/installation tech for AVS and that is the correct phone number.
post #39 of 1639
So these ISF settings come pre-callibrated providing a better picture then would be easy to tune in myself on home version? Myself being without equipment or experience in calibration. Is anyone having your online vendor calibrate these settings for you? I found panny AE2000 in color 1 to be spot on to the naked eye. If I do decide to go pro it's for the value of these ISF settings as I don't need a mount and am indifferent to projector color.
post #40 of 1639
The rebate is found here:

http://www.projectorpeople.com/SLIS/...200_013108.pdf
post #41 of 1639
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dardog View Post

I must have missed something. What price jump are you talking about?

I think people are getting the PRO and HOME versions confused...I did the same thing just now. But electronics prices DO NOT GO UP EVER...that's a good way to get a malatov cocktail through the CEOs office window...course, it'd have to be a "Hail Mary" to get it 82 floors up, no?
post #42 of 1639
No confusion - they jumped up the Pro version $1,000.
post #43 of 1639
I was hoping to see either the Home or Pro UB yesterday at CES, but for some reason Epson is only showing the older Home 1080. ???
post #44 of 1639
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Dodds View Post

There are no 'ISF' setting per se. The Pro version has two password protected slots where an ISF tech can calibrate your PJ for daylight and night, and then lock in the settings so you can't stuff them up.

Unless you have your PJ ISF calibrated, they are moot.

They will, on the other hand, probably have the most accurate out of the box settings and so may be worth using.

My dealer says the more accurate out-of-box settings for the Pro vs. Home version is indeed the case. This was his experience with the Pro vs. Home versions of the TW1000 (Epson 1080, models before the current UB version) as well.

Kurt
post #45 of 1639
Thanks for that!

Kurt
post #46 of 1639
[quote=jstaylor83;12733859]The rebate is found here:

Whoops, meant to include this quote. Thanks for the coupon!

Kurt
post #47 of 1639
So that is it?
The only difference between the Home and pro versions are the calibration and mount and color of the projector? There is no increase in lumens or contrast?

Craig
post #48 of 1639
Quote:
Originally Posted by suffolk112000 View Post

So that is it?
The only difference between the Home and pro versions are the calibration and mount and color of the projector? There is no increase in lumens or contrast?

Craig

You also get a spare bulb.
post #49 of 1639
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbuech View Post

My dealer says the more accurate out-of-box settings for the Pro vs. Home version is indeed the case. This was his experience with the Pro vs. Home versions of the TW1000 (Epson 1080, models before the current UB version) as well.

Kurt

How easy are these settings to dial in on home? Should I consider the pro proffesionally calibrated? Mabey MITZ HC6000 is a better choice? Has anyone seen both?
post #50 of 1639
Quote:
Originally Posted by leiff View Post

How easy are these settings to dial in on home? Should I consider the pro proffesionally calibrated? Mabey MITZ HC6000 is a better choice? Has anyone seen both?

Not sure about the Mitz.

I hear a professional ISF calibaration is worth the money, and that no projector is quite right out of the box. The Epson Pro 1080UB may be one of the closest to true 6500 color temp, from what I understand, so this may be the one to get if this is important to you.

Kurt
post #51 of 1639
I'm wondering if my TW2000 is the "Pro" version for the US. If so, is it pre calibrated, cause I think the colors out of the box were outstanding...all I did was throw in AVIA and calibrated for brightness, contrast, and some other thing i forgot about. REALLY HAPPY!
post #52 of 1639
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by KBMAN View Post

I'm wondering if my TW2000 is the "Pro" version for the US. If so, is it pre calibrated, cause I think the colors out of the box were outstanding...all I did was throw in AVIA and calibrated for brightness, contrast, and some other thing i forgot about. REALLY HAPPY!

They are the same. Just like the Pro 1080 was the TW1000.

I would not be surprised if the white HOME version also has the same password protected slots.

If fact my 1080UB actually has a tag on the back that says TW2000.

Again the Pro comes with a nice custome mount for the ceiling or even the wall, an extra bulb and an additional year warranty. So it's not like the extra $1000 in MSRP does not include anything and the Pro and Home have a $200 rebate right now.

I have to say I am rather surprised Epson is showing thier older model at CES. The new ones were at Cedia back in September. Even Epsons usa website site points to the old model. I have a feeling they are trying to help dealers get rid of the old model, before plastering the new one on the web. Every enthusiast knows by now that the UB model is the way to go since they truly support 24p and huge increase in black level performance.
post #53 of 1639
CraigW,

Can you verify the zoom range of your 1080UB? I see conflicting numbers of 2.0:1 and 2.1:1 at different web sites.

Thanks,

Dardog
post #54 of 1639
Has anyone on here seen the AE2000 and the 1080UB side-by-side? Can you make a comparison between the two? What are the pros and cons of each in relationship to each other?

I ask because they are so similar in price and with all the negative talk about the Panny, I am thinking about going with this one instead.
post #55 of 1639
Quote:
Originally Posted by jstaylor83 View Post

I ask because they are so similar in price and with all the negative talk about the Panny, I am thinking about going with this one instead.

The negative talk didn't start showing up until a few months after release....Will be interesting to learn what will be said about the 1080UB in a few months...

In any case, I am very interested in a comparison as well. In particular, the brightness at a comparable setting (e.g. comparable shadow details - as close as possible).
post #56 of 1639
Thread Starter 
I respectfully disagree that the negative talk on Panny took several months after release. If that was the case I might have gone with the Panny.

But to put the whole thing in perspective, I don't care how much you spend for a projector there are going to be some flaws/tradeoffs with any technology.

Any 3-chip design LCD, DLP, SXRD,LCOS will have some issue with convergence, coloruniformity, etc.

1-chip DLP will be extremely sharp and convergence is not an issue, but 1-chip DLP projectors will always suffer from rainbow and dithering to some extent.

For what I paid for my Pro UB I feel I got a very good projector, but I am finding some things I don't like. First the iris is noisier than I would like it to be. It is not a huge issue since the soundtracks typically drowned it out and I don't know if engaging the iris really is noticeable enough to justify it. Remember the contrast ratio of 50k:1 is dynamic, but a single frame/scene is limited by ANSI contrast. Also with a 100% white field I do see a very small amount of color uniformity problems.

Again there are a lot of factors in designing these things and then to expect complete perfection in the manufacturing process is unrealistic. I am not too worried about the few issues I have ran into especially when considering the projector has a 3-year warranty.
post #57 of 1639
Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigW View Post

For what I paid for my Pro UB I feel I got a very good projector, but I am finding some things I don't like. First the iris is noisier than I would like it to be. It is not a huge issue since the soundtracks typically drowned it out and I don't know if engaging the iris really is noticeable enough to justify it. Remember the contrast ratio of 50k:1 is dynamic, but a single frame/scene is limited by ANSI contrast. Also with a 100% white field I do see a very small amount of color uniformity problems.

Does this mean you are running the PJ without the dynamic iris turned on? I would think that would wreck havoc on shadow details.
post #58 of 1639
Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigW View Post

I respectfully disagree that the negative talk on Panny took several months after release. If that was the case I might have gone with the Panny.

But to put the whole thing in perspective, I don't care how much you spend for a projector there are going to be some flaws/tradeoffs with any technology.

Any 3-chip design LCD, DLP, SXRD,LCOS will have some issue with convergence, coloruniformity, etc.

1-chip DLP will be extremely sharp and convergence is not an issue, but 1-chip DLP projectors will always suffer from rainbow and dithering to some extent.

For what I paid for my Pro UB I feel I got a very good projector, but I am finding some things I don't like. First the iris is noisier than I would like it to be. It is not a huge issue since the soundtracks typically drowned it out and I don't know if engaging the iris really is noticeable enough to justify it. Remember the contrast ratio of 50k:1 is dynamic, but a single frame/scene is limited by ANSI contrast. Also with a 100% white field I do see a very small amount of color uniformity problems.

Again there are a lot of factors in designing these things and then to expect complete perfection in the manufacturing process is unrealistic. I am not too worried about the few issues I have ran into especially when considering the projector has a 3-year warranty.

I agree with you 100% I bought the Panny AE2000 a couple weeks ago. It was a choice between that and this Epson. I chose the Panny and am not unhappy with my decision in the least. However I too have noticed a few flaws. Like your Epson, on a white background I see some minor uniformity issues and a dust blob, but these cannot be seen during normal viewing, just on solid blue or white backgrounds. There's always trade-offs. I just feel that if the flaws we notice have no affect on normal viewing, we perfectionists should just learn to live with them and stop being so critical.
post #59 of 1639
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryaneverett View Post

Does this mean you are running the PJ without the dynamic iris turned on? I would think that would wreck havoc on shadow details.


Shadow detail is dark detail you see in a single frame/scene correct? I think the purpose of dynamic iris is so overly dark images are darker and overly bright images are brighter. I don't really notice a difference in single frame dark/shadow detail between have the iris engaged and disengaged. Again I think ANSI contrast is more the controlling factor here.

I think the Epson without the iris engage surpasses the ANSI contrast of my old DLP. Remember the UB technology(the polarizing filter) is its own unique component and operates independently of the iris. I am not sure what the native contrast ratio is since Epson did not spec it. But I don't put much faith in spec sheet numbers.
post #60 of 1639
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dardog View Post

I must have missed something. What price jump are you talking about?

I can tell you what he is talking about. I had been quoted a price in the mid-threes by my dealer in later December. Yesterday I was ready to pull the trigger and I called my dealer. When I talked to my rep and said I was ready to buy she said she was sorry but she could not honor the price she had given me. She said that she had just received notice from Epson that she had to sell it at no lower than $3999. Naturally I was very upset, I had a deal and now no go. She could tell I was really upset and that I did not really believe what she was saying. I told her that I thought that had to be illegal because in my opinion that would most definitely be pricing fixing. She offered to send the notice which she did---read it and weep--I think it is price fixing because as she told me if they did not comply they would lose the line. She said although Epson would never actually say upfront that they would lose the line it is well understood that would be the outcome--- so they enforce what I think is their price fixing scheme by the silent threat of the dealer losing the line.

EPSON'S UNILATERAL MINIMUM RESALE PRICE POLICY
POWERLITE CINEMA PRODUCTS
Policy Amendment
This amends the Epson Unilateral Minimum Resale price (UMRP) policy for Epson's
PowerLite Cinema projectors (UMRP Products).
Effective December 21, 2007, the minimum resale prices for Epson's new and existing
PowerLite Cinema projectors will be as stated below.
As a reminder, all communications with retailers regarding Epson's UMRP policy will be written
and come directly from Epson's Director of Sales Operations. Epson's sales representatives
and other sales employees do not have the authority to change or explain the UMRP policy or to
take action with respect to any non-compliance. Epson will unilaterally make all decisions
regarding the UMRP policy. All communications between resellers and Epson regarding the
unilateral minimum resale price policy should be submitted in writing as follows:
Attention: UMRP Inquiry
Sales Operations Director
Fax No. (562) 290-4323
e-mail: UMRP@ea.epson.com
The UMRP policy is neither an agreement nor an offer to enter an agreement. Epson will not
ask for, or accept, any agreements or assurances regarding compliance with this policy.
Prices for New and Existing UMRP Products
Product Minimum Resale Price
PowerLite Pro Cinema 810 $1599.99
PowerLite Pro Cinema 1080 (MB) $3499.99
PowerLite Pro Cinema 1080 UB $3999.99
Silicon Opticx HQV Video Processor $2999.99
Panamorph Anamorphic Lens Kit $4999.99
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP › Official Epson Pro Cinema 1080UB Thread