or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Blu-ray & HD DVD › HDTV Software Media Discussion › What will Universal and Paramount do now?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

What will Universal and Paramount do now? - Page 2  

post #31 of 322
Quote:
Originally Posted by ottscay View Post

May is half way though Q2 last I checked.

That's why I said by Q3. As in, by the time it starts.
post #32 of 322
For anyone who wants to help the process along,

Send an e-mail or call Universal to persuade them to switch:

http://www.universalstudios.com/home.../index_hv.html

Didn't find an easy link on the Paramount page, so maybe someone else can help with that.

-Splints
post #33 of 322
I wouldn't be shocked if any already pressed Paramount BDs in the vault (we know Blades of Glory exists, possibly other catalog titles like Top Gun were also pressed) get released by the end of the month.
post #34 of 322
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swoosh-X View Post

Universal will go format neutral by the summer, Paramount will try and do the same by weaseling out of their contract.

I just have a hard time that Paramount would try to get out of a contract as they got $150mil to stay exclusive for 18 months. No studio is going to make that kind of money on hdm in the next couple years.

I mean how much is the most a studio made selling hdm in 2007? I doubt they made much if anything.

I think that paramount should see if they can get spielburg to let them release his movies for pain and suffering for the hd dvd loyalysts. BD will get them anyway.
post #35 of 322
Quote:
Originally Posted by jb0072007 View Post

As terrible as this news is it was not unexpected. If you look at HD-DVD release schedule compare to Blu you will notice many more titles on Blu to be released. Also I believe that Paramount, Warner and Universal have purposely withheld releasing some of their biggies (on HD) figuring this was going to happen. I would be surprised if any of the HD studios release many titles now. I still can't believe sony actually won a format war. Dam and I bought an XA2 which will now become an expensive paperweight! BTW I am purple but favored HD.

your xa2 should play your dvd's upscaled beautifully, i wouldnt call it paper weight, it's not as if your current hd dvd titles will self-destruct in 5 seconds.
post #36 of 322
Quote:
Originally Posted by splinters View Post

For anyone who wants to help the process along,

Send an e-mail or call Universal to persuade them to switch:

http://www.universalstudios.com/home.../index_hv.html

Didn't find an easy link on the Paramount page, so maybe someone else can help with that.

-Splints

This is what all of us especially HD DVD supporters should do now. End the inenvitable faster. It will be better for all of us
post #37 of 322
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakesh.S View Post

it is a death blow...no question about it. Don't even think otherwise.

I've heard that before...

Quote:



The format war is over.

Heard that before several times too....
Quote:



Movies like The Dark Knight will be blu exclusive..

They have not even made the first one on Bluray yet the second one's a lock? When's the Matrix coming out on Bluray? Oh right I forgot, it didn't because that technology was not capable of Warners demands and costs more to make yet they stuck with Bluray?

Glad to hear Warner made the "logical" choice.
post #38 of 322
Quote:
Originally Posted by chipvideo View Post

I just have a hard time that Paramount would try to get out of a contract as they got $150mil to stay exclusive for 18 months. No studio is going to make that kind of money on hdm in the next couple years.

I mean how much is the most a studio made selling hdm in 2007? I doubt they made much if anything.

I think that paramount should see if they can get spielburg to let them release his movies for pain and suffering for the hd dvd loyalysts. BD will get them anyway.

$150M or not, there is may no longer be any money to be made now on HD DVD side, there may be some clauses in the contract that allows Paramount to release on Blu-ray b4 it's expiration date should an event like Warner going blu happen.

at this point we really need to know what Paramount and Universal plan to do after Warner switched to Blu.
post #39 of 322
You promise? Okay.... I'm going to hold you to it!
post #40 of 322
Actually the next studio most likely to abandon HD-DVD is Weinstein. They've openly said they were exploring releasing "Grindhouse" on Blu-ray last year, and Warner has just given Weinstein all the cover it needed to dump HD-DVD (for which it hasn't released squat in months) and go Blu.
post #41 of 322
Man I remember when Paramount went HD-DVD exclusive there was that picture of dominos with a picture of Disney, Fox, and Warner on it as to say HD-DVD was going to take over. NOPE!! I am glad that the format war just a clear picture and BD looks to wipe out HD-DVD now.
post #42 of 322
Quote:
Originally Posted by dad1153 View Post

Actually the next studio most likely to abandon HD-DVD is Weinstein. They've openly said they were exploring releasing "Grindhouse" on Blu-ray last year, and Warner has just given Weinstein all the cover it needed to dump HD-DVD (for which it hasn't released squat in months) and go Blu.

i wouldnt count on weinstein to release anything judging from their support for hd dvd. worse than fox says a lot.
post #43 of 322
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joon TV View Post

Man I remember when Paramount went HD-DVD exclusive there was that picture of dominos with a picture of Disney, Fox, and Warner on it as to say HD-DVD was going to take over. NOPE!! I am glad that the format war just a clear picture and BD looks to wipe out HD-DVD now.

at least warner had the decency (or maybe they were bound by contract) to put this in effect in May, instead of immediately like Paramount did. had Paramount given us a 3-4 month head room, i'd have a copy of Transformers in HD.
post #44 of 322
Just read the press release by Toshiba.Toshiba is behind the eight-ball if they actually are surprised by this announcement. It means they weren't on top of their game and should concern anyone wanting to move forward with HD DVD. It reminds me of the infamous down time during Xmas '06 and for at least 4-5 months afterward where there were hardly any releases for HD DVD. Poor planning. they lost the momentum at that point for good. Sorry Tosh. You lost this one and if the Warner announcement took you by surprise then one has to wonder what's going on in your planning and strategy department.
post #45 of 322
HD DVD will end up being the equal to SONY's UMD movies. They are still being produced and sold but will never take off. The Warner decision pretty much killed HD DVD's chance of any advancement. Uni and Par really need to get real now and show support for BLU RAY. I support both formats but did wish for HD DVD's success.
post #46 of 322
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkcheng122 View Post

i wouldnt count on weinstein to release anything judging from their support for hd dvd. worse than fox says a lot.

Hey, Fox is beating out Paramount! I think even Anchor Bay/Starz is beating out Weinstein at this point.

On a related note, according to an insider at High Def Digest, Weinstein will be at the Blu-ray keynote. FWIW.
post #47 of 322
Quote:
Originally Posted by chipvideo View Post

I just have a hard time that Paramount would try to get out of a contract as they got $150mil to stay exclusive for 18 months. No studio is going to make that kind of money on hdm in the next couple years.

I mean how much is the most a studio made selling hdm in 2007? I doubt they made much if anything.

I think that paramount should see if they can get spielburg to let them release his movies for pain and suffering for the hd dvd loyalysts. BD will get them anyway.

No doubt that the rumored $150 Million was worth more than the actual sales on HDM, but considering some of the titles that Paramount has on their slate, I sure they don't want to leave any additional income at the table like they did with Transformers this past fall.

fitprod
post #48 of 322
Quote:
Originally Posted by HPforMe View Post

Just read the press release by Toshiba.Toshiba is behind the eight-ball if they actually are surprised by this announcement. It means they weren't on top of their game and should concern anyone wanting to move forward with HD DVD.

I'm sure Sony didn't expect the Paramount/Dreamworks defection, either.
post #49 of 322
Quote:
Originally Posted by quack724 View Post

Any thoughts on what Universal and Paramount will do now?
Throw in the towel? Continue support for HD DVD and force dual format?

Warner going BD only has only prolonged the WAR and given DVD a win.

...Angelo
post #50 of 322
Quote:
Originally Posted by Z07VETTE View Post

They have not even made the first one on Bluray yet the second one's a lock? When's the Matrix coming out on Bluray? Oh right I forgot, it didn't because that technology was not capable of Warners demands and costs more to make yet they stuck with Bluray?

Glad to hear Warner made the "logical" choice.

Since The Dark Knight will not be released to home video until 4th Q 2008, by the definition to their announcement, it would not be released on HD DVD at all.

If Warner hasn't already been testing 1.1 version of stuff like The Matrix and Batman Begins, I sure they will start do so.

fitprod
post #51 of 322
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vipper IV View Post

I'm sure Sony didn't expect the Paramount/Dreamworks defection, either.

You didn't hear Sony stating they were surprised by Paramount's decision.
post #52 of 322
As Blu-Ray increase their sales in players and HD-DVD decreases in sales...it's not good for HD-DVD at all.

If both Universal and Paramount want to be exclusive to HD-DVD only, then they better hope that a dual format is $50 to survive.

It's not over yet for HD-DVD...but sooner or later, the numbers for their sales will decline.

Software always is the king in determining who is king. Blu-Ray owns 70% of the software movie now... Ouch.
post #53 of 322
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad1963 View Post

HD DVD will end up being the equal to SONY's UMD movies. They are still being produced and sold but will never take off. The Warner decision pretty much killed HD DVD's chance of any advancement. Uni and Par really need to get real now and show support for BLU RAY. I support both formats but did wish for HD DVD's success.

True, but once the shock is over with I think people will realize that Blu-ray may still lose out and end up Niche status.

There won't be many more BOGOS for Blu-ray disks. You can forget about the player prices coming down any time soon, and DVD still looks really good upconverted on all but the biggest screens.

That said I'll still buy a couple titles in HD DVD if the companies follow through and produce them. Sweeney Todd and I Am Legend both come to mind.

When profile 2.0 players reach $100.00 I'll consider buying, until then, I'm happy to continue buying DVDs and playing them on my very nice upconverting HD DVD player that I bought for $129.00 which is in-line with the Oppo upconverting players.

I have no regrets, and still believe HD DVD was the better choice for quicker mass adoption because it was more consumer friendly.

Region coding and BD+ just suck IMO and I won't be investing into those technologies until it's clear that DVD is dead (which may be NEVER).

We also still have to consider that downloads may replace Blu before they even have a chance to get anywhere. With Netflix being charged .17 cents more per disk mailing by the post office, they will be looking to push downloads more and disk rentals less in the coming year.
post #54 of 322
people fear player prices going up forget there are many mfg's wanting your money
so competition will still be good on player pricing and movie studios want to sell the
movies so i don't think they will pull the laserdisc pricing again that helped kill that
format and as far as the internet is concerned we are a long way from getting hd
downloaded without taking hours and not being compressed to death.
post #55 of 322
They (Univ/paramount) don't have to do anything right away. They can wait and see what happens. If there is rush to blu, a significant rush, then they may decide to produce Blu titles. On the other hand if things continue they way they have then they can safely wait it out until the market matures and a final Blu profile is ready. Sill HDM has to fight to survive, DVD is still killing it. The one strong point I though HD had was the ability to combine DVD and HD DVD. I thought that (done right) could force feed and jump start the HDM market.

What would be ironic is if a major Blu studio wen neutral....
post #56 of 322
of course if the studios wanted to make sure people bought hd they would make them
avaliable at least a couple of weeks after it left the theater unlike sd dvds 6months later.
post #57 of 322
What will Microsoft do now?
post #58 of 322
I think it's pretty funny that people think Paramount will break their contract. They got $100 mil to be exclusive, there is no way they will make that off HDM in the next year. Even if they continue their current release schedule they'll probably still come out ahead.

They only way they break it is if HD-DVD lets them out of their contract, which I don't think they'll do. They spent $100 mill on Paramount, they'll probably ride that horse till it dies boys and girls.


I don't think they'll quite, I think they're going to start pushing Combo players....if Toshiba does anything, they'll release a Blu Ray/HD DVD player. They have way too much money wrapped up in this thing to go belly up immediately.


We've heard these cries of a quick HD-DVD death before, I think it was around this time last year as well - and what happened during that year?


They could very well roll over, but I would be surprised if they did.


P.S. I could care less who wins, if HD DVD dies, I still have a great machine and some great HD movies - not to mention I have a Blu Ray player as well.
post #59 of 322
Think 2 big studios are gonna sit around and listen to birds chirp in their warehouses? They have lawyers - give it a little time.

Very Little Time
post #60 of 322
Hopefully Universal isn't bound by a contract and can begin releasing on Blu-ray ASAP. Paramount will have to stay the course of its contract unless it can somehow get out and find a way to save face.

I'm not sure what will happen, but I would really like to buy the Bourne movies in HD.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: HDTV Software Media Discussion
This thread is locked  
AVS › AVS Forum › Blu-ray & HD DVD › HDTV Software Media Discussion › What will Universal and Paramount do now?