or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Blu-ray & HD DVD › Blu-ray Software › Netflix BD disc rental discussion thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Netflix BD disc rental discussion thread

post #1 of 8769
Thread Starter 
I am beyond sick of every single release being on long wait or very long wait. When they are listed as very long wait, they can take up to 4 months to become in stock to rent them. At the top of my Queue I have 13 movies on Very long wait or Long wait and 3 movies on Short wait. It also doesn't matter if they are bluray, hddvd, or dvd, they are still listed as the same wait. Although most these movies I am listing here are bluray.

POTC at worlds end
Live free or die hard
the bourne ultimatum
harry potter and the order of the phoenix
the santa clause 3
the simpsons movie
oceans thirteen
shrek the third
hot rod
eastern promises
stardust
war
RE extinction

All of these movies are either on Very long wait or Long wait and some have been out for quite awhile now. I am really getting sick of this, netflix didn't use to be this way.

We are Marshall and Sicko have been on Long wait forever.
post #2 of 8769
Same recent experience for me as well.

In case others didn't see the press release of yesterday, Netflix has entered in to a partnership with LG to build a video download box.
Perhaps they have cut-down on the amount of copies per title in anticipation of this?
post #3 of 8769
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by oink View Post

Same recent experience for me as well.

In case others didn't see the press release of yesterday, Netflix has entered in to a partnership with LG to build a video download box.
Perhaps they have cut-down on the amount of copies per title in anticipation of this?

I would never use that unless it did hd quality as good as bluray or hddvd and if it did, that would take so much bandwidth comcast would cancel my service. But maybe it could take away some of the disc users. Still a long ways off though.
post #4 of 8769
Yep, same experience here. Every movie I want to see has an unacceptable wait, even some that were in my queue prior to their release date. Netflix is rapidly becoming a waste of money for HD viewers, especially Bluray. I have complained several times with little result. Next step, cancellation. Any recommendations for an alternative service with good HD availability?

I have had better luck with HD-DVD from Netflix but it seems like all the discs I receive need to be cleaned before I can play them without, or with minimal, skipping on my Tosh A30 (with latest firmware). The last movie to arrive, Hollywoodland, was physically squeeking when handled and literally split into two discs 5 minutes before the end of the movie!
post #5 of 8769
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikonosis View Post

I am beyond sick of every single release being on long wait or very long wait. When they are listed as very long wait, they can take up to 4 months to become in stock to rent them. At the top of my Queue I have 13 movies on Very long wait or Long wait and 3 movies on Short wait. It also doesn't matter if they are bluray, hddvd, or dvd, they are still listed as the same wait. Although most these movies I am listing here are bluray.

POTC at worlds end
Live free or die hard
the bourne ultimatum
harry potter and the order of the phoenix
the santa clause 3
the simpsons movie
oceans thirteen
shrek the third
hot rod
eastern promises
stardust
war
RE extinction

All of these movies are either on Very long wait or Long wait and some have been out for quite awhile now. I am really getting sick of this, netflix didn't use to be this way.

We are Marshall and Sicko have been on Long wait forever.

Personally I've downgraded to 2 a month for this very same reason. I had Blood Diamond in my queue for 5 months before finally giving up. The only discs I ever have any luck getting are SD-DVD's. I'm considering doing Blockbuster ONLY because they have a store very close to me.
post #6 of 8769
Same with me. I'm down to 2 at a time. Top 12-15 on my que are very long wait.

I'm going down to 1 at a time. Maybe even to zero. I hate netflix service.

I don't have a high turnover either. I keep the movies about a week.
post #7 of 8769
Same experience here.

Are they throttling? I'm going to try taking my queue down to about 8 movies to see if I can force them to send the movies I want.

Joe
post #8 of 8769
I tried that too Joe, no help. They just send you zip.
post #9 of 8769
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karlosus View Post

I tried that too Joe, no help. They just send you zip.

+1. Zip for me too. Oh well.
post #10 of 8769
Solution:

Find a really good local video store, preferably independent, and spend money at that store.

Unless we all want discs-by-mail to be our only rental option...



Quote:
Originally Posted by nikonosis View Post

I am beyond sick of every single release being on long wait or very long wait. When they are listed as very long wait, they can take up to 4 months to become in stock to rent them. At the top of my Queue I have 13 movies on Very long wait or Long wait and 3 movies on Short wait. It also doesn't matter if they are blurry, HDDVD, or DVD, they are still listed as the same wait. Although most these movies I am listing here are bluray.

POTC at worlds end
Live free or die hard
the bourne ultimatum
harry potter and the order of the phoenix
the santa clause 3
the simpsons movie
oceans thirteen
shrek the third
hot rod
eastern promises
stardust
war
RE extinction

All of these movies are either on Very long wait or Long wait and some have been out for quite awhile now. I am really getting sick of this, netflix didn't use to be this way.

We are Marshall and Sicko have been on Long wait forever.
post #11 of 8769
No thanks, Timwit. I believe in economies of scale. The Netflix model is not at fault, we just need another class action to improve their responsiveness for HD customers
post #12 of 8769
Same experience here. However I got so fed up with it I called and bitched about it (not that I expected this to do much) and they did give me 1 extra rental for free for 2 months. So I am paying for the 4 out at a time, but getting 5 at a time for the next 2 months. Helped ease the pain a little. You guys should call either way and let them know they need to stock more HD titles. If enough people call, who knows may help out.

If the Blockbuster near me stocked Blu-ray, I would go that route, but they dont so I guess I got to put up with it for now.
post #13 of 8769
Quote:
Originally Posted by lrstevens421 View Post

+1. Zip for me too. Oh well.

+2
post #14 of 8769
Quote:
Originally Posted by oink View Post

Same recent experience for me as well.

In case others didn't see the press release of yesterday, Netflix has entered in to a partnership with LG to build a video download box.
Perhaps they have cut-down on the amount of copies per title in anticipation of this?

Wow, the Warner hubbub definitely overshadowed this. I'm guessing they'll start off with DVD, then maybe expand with HD. The only way to get full DVD quality and better to the masses is with a STB to provide a buffer/cache. Only those with top tier DSL or cable and FiOS could real time transfer even DVDs, and only some FiOS can do HD stuff.

Looks like they're making announcements as CES.
post #15 of 8769
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikonosis View Post

I am beyond sick of every single release being on long wait or very long wait. When they are listed as very long wait, they can take up to 4 months to become in stock to rent them. At the top of my Queue I have 13 movies on Very long wait or Long wait and 3 movies on Short wait. It also doesn't matter if they are bluray, hddvd, or dvd, they are still listed as the same wait. Although most these movies I am listing here are bluray.

POTC at worlds end
Live free or die hard
the bourne ultimatum
harry potter and the order of the phoenix
the santa clause 3
the simpsons movie
oceans thirteen
shrek the third
hot rod
eastern promises
stardust
war
RE extinction

All of these movies are either on Very long wait or Long wait and some have been out for quite awhile now. I am really getting sick of this, netflix didn't use to be this way.

We are Marshall and Sicko have been on Long wait forever.

My experience is the exact opposite. I've rec'd, watched, and returned all of those movies except HP, Hot Rod, and Stardust (not interested in them).

I just sent War back this morning sent RE back on Friday and plan to watch RE Extinction tonight (all three Blu-Ray).

I'm on the 5 out plan and have over 460 movies in my queue. I have a pretty good turn over rate and have never been throttled.

Don't know why Netflix experience is so drastically different then every one else.
post #16 of 8769
I dumped Netflix a month ago.They just don't stock enough HDM.
post #17 of 8769
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnGZ28 View Post

My experience is the exact opposite. I've rec'd, watched, and returned all of those movies except HP, Hot Rod, and Stardust (not interested in them).

I just sent War back this morning sent RE back on Friday and plan to watch RE Extinction tonight (all three Blu-Ray).

I'm on the 5 out plan and have over 460 movies in my queue. I have a pretty good turn over rate and have never been throttled.

Don't know why Netflix experience is so drastically different then every one else.

Wow, you appear to be one of the lucky ones. I however am not willing to try 5 a month to see if my luck changes . Keep watching those hi-def films .
post #18 of 8769
JohnG, how long have you been a Netflix member?
post #19 of 8769
Quote:
Originally Posted by lrstevens421 View Post

Wow, you appear to be one of the lucky ones. I however am not willing to try 5 a month to see if my luck changes . Keep watching those hi-def films .

5 out at time is a necessity for me to see the movies I want.

I have a 12 year old and a 6 year old with different taste/allowed to watch movies. Also they are not allowed to watch movies Mon-Thurs. The 12 year old will average 4 movies a month. The 6 year old will watch 1-3 a month (had Rat. for about a month and a half before it got sent back and was watched every weekend multiple times by the 6 year old).

The wife gets to pick her chick flick which will sit around for a week before she thinks about watching it and once she starts it takes a week for her to finish it. (Since Mila stars in RE I told my wife it counted as a chick flick).

This leaves me two movies. I try to watch mine the day I get them and send them back the next day to keep my titles rolling in. So I'll watch 3-4 titles a week.

My hope is that with Warner's announcement NF will stock more Blu titles by dropping the red thus increasing our availability.
post #20 of 8769
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karlosus View Post

JohnG, how long have you been a Netflix member?

2/2003

Started out with 3 at a time for a couple of months then switched to 5.
post #21 of 8769
Yeah, its rather bad these days trying to get a HD movie from Netflix. Just like the thread over on the HD-dvd area, most seem to have a problem getting movies. I was able to get one blu-ray out of them last month. I have done fair with HD-dvd. I'm sure everyone gets the same excuse if they call. Netflix appears to mostly blame the studios saying they are only allowed to buy a certain amount.

Well whatever about that excuse, but its almost useless for HD and especially blu-ray. I certainly hope they will improve over time but I have a feeling it won't be very quick. I noticed they don't even list some new HD titles. Personally I think they just aren't buying enough.
post #22 of 8769
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnGZ28 View Post

5 out at time is a necessity for me to see the movies I want.

I have a 12 year old and a 6 year old with different taste/allowed to watch movies. Also they are not allowed to watch movies Mon-Thurs. The 12 year old will average 4 movies a month. The 6 year old will watch 1-3 a month (had Rat. for about a month and a half before it got sent back and was watched every weekend multiple times by the 6 year old).

The wife gets to pick her chick flick which will sit around for a week before she thinks about watching it and once she starts it takes a week for her to finish it. (Since Mila stars in RE I told my wife it counted as a chick flick).

This leaves me two movies. I try to watch mine the day I get them and send them back the next day to keep my titles rolling in. So I'll watch 3-4 titles a week.

My hope is that with Warner's announcement NF will stock more Blu titles by dropping the red thus increasing our availability.

You're right, you do need . Happy viewing.
post #23 of 8769
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry J View Post

Netflix appears to mostly blame the studios saying they are only allowed to buy a certain amount.

.

Where is the source for this speculation as to the blame for lack of blu-ray on Netflix?

I think they are behind in DVD and HDM -- as I see more long waits now than before in both media.

However, I have seen this in the past. In a month or so they will probably catch up to demand. I think they wait for demand to creep up, then start ordering more stock.
post #24 of 8769
Quote:
Originally Posted by caesar1 View Post

Where is the source for this speculation as to the blame for lack of blu-ray on Netflix?

The source is me calling (and others) complaining that blu-ray movies just sit in the queue and never move. I called yesterday for the first time, and I've been a member just about as long as they have existed. That's what they told me, Netflix was only allowed to buy a certain amount because the studios wanted people to buy and not rent. Another person said they claimed could only buy 2,000 of any one HD movie.

Of course they also told me about the increase in demand as a reason. It started with me about 2 months ago and got worse lately, and I"m not throttled. They gave me a discount for a few months, since I'd been with them a long time and had to get movies from BB, that I'd had in netflix for weeks, and a few over a month.

They did start moving some as available after I called, but doubt it lasts. Whoever I talked too did say people should call and complain, so they would know people aren't happy. Of course they also said Netflix will try to gradually get into HD more.
post #25 of 8769
Quote:
Originally Posted by mws192 View Post

+2

Bummer. At least the Hollywood Video down the hill on Burnside (I live in PDX) stocks a decent HD section. I'll check it out as an option. Too bad it's such a dump

Joe
post #26 of 8769
I've had the same problem with BD discs being slow to ship. I also ran into the same problem with two DVDs, apparently they were a BB exclusive for several months right after release.

I also ran into another problem. I was on the 3 at a time plan and felt that in order to get my money's worth I needed to view at least 6 movies a month. I had worked through all the old DVDs I had wanted to see and also all the older BDs and with the unavailability of newer titles and the limited number of up coming releases that I really wanted to see, the 3 out plan wasn't worth it so I switched to a 1 at a time one.

I also found that having to watch at least 6 Netflix movies a month cut into my reading time, plus severely impacted the time available to watch movies in my collection. And SWMBO also demanded the TV to watch those programs she was interested in.

The BB store here in town is less than a mile a way and it does carry BD. I've been monitoring it to see how well they get new releases. So far the jury is out but this remains a viable option.
post #27 of 8769
You can try blockbuster total access. The blu ray online wait is very long too but at least I can bring the envelope to the store and get blu ray movie there.
post #28 of 8769
Like the rest of you, my BD (and HD DVD) waits at Netflix have only gotten worse lately. I think the major problem is, last I heard, HDM only represents 1% of total rentals at Netflix. So I think they have very little motivation to make it any better. Maybe the resolution of this format war will make things better in the long run.
post #29 of 8769
You think Netflix is bad, I was using Blockbuster and I put a movie in my queue two months before it came out so I would make sure to get it when it came out. And when the movie came out, it said it stock, so I'm thinking I'm going to get my movie anyday. I did not get the movie, so I wrote them, and guess what they said to me, we don't want to make you wait to get the movie from another warehouse. It may take 3 to 4 days to get it, so were going to your next movie in your queue and skip over your first choice. Thats great, I had no other movie in my queue and when I went back in to see if the movie was in stock, it said VERY LONG WAIT. I cancelled my membership that day and joined Netflix, no problems so far.
post #30 of 8769
Blockbuster used to be a good option. I signed up when it was $17.99 for 3 movies and unlimited in store exchanges. Then they made you pay more to keep the unlimited exchanges and then they raised it another $10. So I have gone from $17.99 to $34.99 in less than 6 months. It is no longer worth the price. And like Sax said, the wait wasn't any better. I rarely got BDs in the mail and at the store they only had one copy of most movies, so I usually couldn't get them right away at the store either. I would not recommend Blockbuster anymore.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Blu-ray Software
AVS › AVS Forum › Blu-ray & HD DVD › Blu-ray Software › Netflix BD disc rental discussion thread