or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Blu-ray & HD DVD › Blu-ray Software › Netflix BD disc rental discussion thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Netflix BD disc rental discussion thread - Page 273

post #8161 of 8769
What's the deal? I see Breaking Bad and Dexter on DVD only, and i'm not even talking about the current seasons (Yes i know BBS4 is Streaming but i still wanted to see it on BD) I just wanted to start catching up on Dex but no way am i watching it on DVD.
post #8162 of 8769
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingcarcas View Post

What's the deal? I see Breaking Bad and Dexter on DVD only, and i'm not even talking about the current seasons (Yes i know BBS4 is Streaming but i still wanted to see it on BD) I just wanted to start catching up on Dex but no way am i watching it on DVD.

Don't know about BB, but I believe that Showtime's deal with NF has ended and they chose not to renew or go further with NF. Why not just get Showtime? Right now, they have ALL seasons of DEXTER (1 - 6) available OnDemand in HD.
post #8163 of 8769
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingcarcas View Post

What's the deal? I see Breaking Bad and Dexter on DVD only, and i'm not even talking about the current seasons (Yes i know BBS4 is Streaming but i still wanted to see it on BD) I just wanted to start catching up on Dex but no way am i watching it on DVD.

I just completed watching season 6 of Dexter on Blu-ray from Blockbuster By Mail. Just added season 5, also on Blu-ray, to my queue.
post #8164 of 8769
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daveyd View Post

Just received Cabin In The Woods from Netflix and noticed that the HD audio was stripped once again. Instead of DTS-MA 7.1 it has DD 5.1. I noticed this too with Hunger Games. Is this just a Lionsgate rental thing? This really pisses me off to no extent. They charge extra for Blu Ray rentals and now they are crippling them. Extermelly unhappy!mad.gifmad.gif
I'm more mad about having to skip past 10 minutes and 11 seconds of trailers one at a time before getting to the menu, then 4 copyright screens and a "we're not responsible for the content of the special features (which were stripped from the disc)" disclaimer before the movie actually played.

I don't know why studios don't understand that if we want to skip the trailers, we aren't going to care about what they're selling? If a customer wants to skip the stuff and go right to the movie, why tick them off and make it hard to do?

Do these guys have any clue about providing good customer experiences? I know...stupid question...

Seriously, to all studios:

1) Stop making me watch trailers I don't want to see.
2) Stop making me watch the promo about the virtues of Blu-ray when I'm clearly watching a Blu-ray.
3) Stop making me watch anti-piracy ads on a legally obtained disc of the movie.
4) Stop putting up slates that tell us the special features may or may not contain content that reflects the point of views of the studio. I...don't...care....

Just let me get to the menu as quick as possible, then let me play the movie as immediately as possible. Seriously.

That's right, Lionsgate and Sony, I'm talking especially to you.
Edited by NetworkTV - 9/22/12 at 6:54am
post #8165 of 8769
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daveyd View Post

It's on a 25GB disc so maybe they needed the space. Also uses a fairly bizarre seamless branching navigation with almost 60 titles in the mix.
In any case it's DD at 640Kb which is pretty darn good audio. Nothing to get mad about.
I realize that the studio is doing this and that is what upsets me the most. It's all about greed. I rent for a reason. If I love the movie after renting it, I will buy it however I do not feel I should receive an inferior product.
It's funny, looking at the Blu Ray sitting right in from of me, the disc itself states on it "DTS-HD Master Audio". IMO, I would rather listen to 7.1 DTS-MA@5Mbps than 5.1 DD@640kbps especially on my 7.1 Home Theater

Truth is, in a blind test with a level matched system, it would be difficult to differentiate MA & DD ..
post #8166 of 8769
I see NF has The Avengers BD coming out Tuesday and it's at the top of my Q .. just for grins, I checked the RedBox site and they don't show it nor does it show up in a search .. ?? Wonder what's up ..
post #8167 of 8769
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wendell R. Breland View Post

I just completed watching season 6 of Dexter on Blu-ray from Blockbuster By Mail. Just added season 5, also on Blu-ray, to my queue.

And, I'm watching Dexter Season 6 on Blu through netflix....I think he is talking about streaming?

But, Dexter Season 6 is available on Blu ray through netflix
post #8168 of 8769
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgkdragn View Post

I see NF has The Avengers BD coming out Tuesday and it's at the top of my Q .. just for grins, I checked the RedBox site and they don't show it nor does it show up in a search .. ?? Wonder what's up ..

My copy is shipping from Netflix today.
post #8169 of 8769
I rejoined NF Saturday morning and have only The Avengers in my queue! So I will be majorly bummed if it doesn't ship. I imagine this is probably going the be the most requested new disc in their history.

EDIT: Shipping today!
Edited by skoolpsyk - 9/24/12 at 10:18am
post #8170 of 8769
I had Avengers at the top of my Q .. they shipped Battleship, which was 2nd in my Q ..
post #8171 of 8769
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgkdragn View Post

Truth is, in a blind test with a level matched system, it would be difficult to differentiate MA & DD ..

BS!!! I have poor hearing and I would bet any amount that on a dynamic soundtrack I could pick the DTS-MA 10 out of 10 times.
post #8172 of 8769
Quote:
Originally Posted by wmwilker View Post

BS!!! I have poor hearing and I would bet any amount that on a dynamic soundtrack I could pick the DTS-MA 10 out of 10 times.

If I lived next door to you, I'd take that bet in a minute .. and you should bring plenty of money ..

Blind listening test / level matched system / AB switch between matched players .. at 20 paces .. eek.gif
post #8173 of 8769
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgkdragn View Post

I had Avengers at the top of my Q .. they shipped Battleship, which was 2nd in my Q ..

I had the BDs for Resident Evil: Damnation, Battleship, and the Avengers in my queue. They all got shipped to me. I forgot to remove The Avengers from my queue since I purchased it and is on the way to me now from BestBuy. Sorry about that. That would have been one more disc they could have shipped out to some one else. Like you.
post #8174 of 8769
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post

I had the BDs for Resident Evil: Damnation, Battleship, and the Avengers in my queue. They all got shipped to me. I forgot to remove The Avengers from my queue since I purchased it and is on the way to me now from BestBuy. Sorry about that. That would have been one more disc they could have shipped out to some one else. Like you.

I was kinda surprised it did not ship .. I was planning on buying it anyway so no big deal .. and unless your disks go thru the St Louis hub, unlikely I would have gotten your copy .. biggrin.gif
post #8175 of 8769
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgkdragn View Post

If I lived next door to you, I'd take that bet in a minute .. and you should bring plenty of money ..
Blind listening test / level matched system / AB switch between matched players .. at 20 paces .. eek.gif

I would gladly take your money rolleyes.gif
post #8176 of 8769
Real world test.
Find a scene that has "ordinary" dialog and set the volume to 90 db (or what ever volume you like) . Then play the rest of the movie. I challenge you to NOT hear a difference in DD and DTS-MA.
post #8177 of 8769
Quote:
Originally Posted by wmwilker View Post

Real world test.
Find a scene that has "ordinary" dialog and set the volume to 90 db (or what ever volume you like) . Then play the rest of the movie. I challenge you to NOT hear a difference in DD and DTS-MA.

That would be extremely loud. Much too loud. Besides it will also depend on a persons hearing capability.
post #8178 of 8769
....and his personal equipements like speakers and AMPs.
post #8179 of 8769
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post

That would be extremely loud. Much too loud. Besides it will also depend on a persons hearing capability.



The number is random although I've read dialog @ reference should be around 85 db. I'm not sure of the reliablity of the source.
THX states that on a TXH reciever the reference level is @ 0. eek.gif

Edit: That is for a theater with higher ambient noise.

More like 75 db dialog for home.
Edited by wmwilker - 9/25/12 at 6:33am
post #8180 of 8769
IIRC, reference level for calibrating a receiver is typically set at 75db. And this will be the volume 0 for most good receivers where volume is not a random number but calibrated at reference level. So 0 or 75db will be very loud. My comfort zone is around -15 to -20 on my setup.
post #8181 of 8769
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxbat121 View Post

IIRC, reference level for calibrating a receiver is typically set at 75db. And this will be the volume 0 for most good receivers where volume is not a random number but calibrated at reference level. So 0 or 75db will be very loud. My comfort zone is around -15 to -20 on my setup.

I have to be at the other end of my condo when my denon 3808 runs through the audio calibration. It is way to loud to be in that area during the calibration.
post #8182 of 8769
Looks like the Netflix "this week's releases" page has been taken down.
post #8183 of 8769
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdgrimes View Post

Looks like the Netflix "this week's releases" page has been taken down.
Nope - it's still there. It was down early this morning, but its back now.

Edit: scratch that - it seems I can only get to it when I'm not signed in.
Edited by NetworkTV - 10/7/12 at 6:00am
post #8184 of 8769
I'm also unable to get to it. Strangely I don't get a 404 not found error; the error I get is the same one I would get if I didn't have an internet connection at all. Kinda freaked me out.
post #8185 of 8769
Appears to be yet another broken cookie issue at Netflix. If you clear all cookies or just log out, you can access the page. No way to access it while logged in.
post #8186 of 8769
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdgrimes View Post

Appears to be yet another broken cookie issue at Netflix. If you clear all cookies or just log out, you can access the page. No way to access it while logged in.
The thing is, the first time you go to it on a system you weren't first logged in on, you only get the DVD releases listed. If you log in, then log back out, you get the whole page including Blu-ray. It appears to work the same as streaming: you don't get listings for BD if you aren't a subscriber to that service. Apparently, even when logged out, the site still knows who you are from the cookie information.
post #8187 of 8769
Seriously, how difficult can it be to have a website that will let you in to view your products (yeah, I'm look at you Netflix).
post #8188 of 8769
Quote:
Originally Posted by badboi View Post

Seriously, how difficult can it be to have a website that will let you in to view your products (yeah, I'm look at you Netflix).

Can't blame them for not emphasizing the website. They're spending all their effort holding studios to the ropes to bring us timely access to bluray releases! rolleyes.gif

Oh, wait... maybe not...
post #8189 of 8769
New Release page up and running fine this AM


http://www2.netflix.com/AllNewReleases


Pleasantly surprised my Saturday return was checked in this morning despite the Holiday .. Snow White & the Huntsman BD on the way ..
post #8190 of 8769
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgkdragn View Post

New Release page up and running fine this AM
http://www2.netflix.com/AllNewReleases
Pleasantly surprised my Saturday return was checked in this morning despite the Holiday .. Snow White & the Huntsman BD on the way ..

Sweet!! The same thing here. They checked in the Never Say Never Again BD today and shipped out the Snow White and the Huntsman BD today.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Blu-ray Software
AVS › AVS Forum › Blu-ray & HD DVD › Blu-ray Software › Netflix BD disc rental discussion thread