or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › LCD Flat Panel Displays › SONY BRAVIA 2008 Line Up
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

SONY BRAVIA 2008 Line Up - Page 4

post #91 of 6575
Quote:
Originally Posted by Netjoy69 View Post

Ditto,

What happened to the understated Sony industrial design of the past. The XBR6 Series design looks like it was inspired by a Japanese robot anime, with that it's glass insert, and the slightly angled inner sides. These sets should be the cream of the crop, but they just don't look it.

C'mon Sony, add some nice details and materials like anodized aluminum, etc., and rid us of this plastic looking toy for a TV. In my opinion, it is a step down in the design department from previous gen Sony sets.

Rather dissapointing.

I thought one of the points of the small XBR6 sets were to accomodate people with pre-exisiting TV furniture, but they want a high quality TV. The floating glass bevel designs would kill a 37" for most people who have a cabinent that accomodates a 32" tube. So I would expect the fall XBR6's to once again be high design, like their predecessors.
post #92 of 6575
I have been considering a Bravia KDL-26S3000 for a cabinet (which is limited
to TVs that are 25.99" or less wide.) Has/will this set be discontinued? The
only other model I could find that was comparable - but less than 26" - is the
Panasonic TC-26LX70. I am disabled and cannot search for a retailer that has
both of these monitors in operation. Anybody here seen them both? Any other
recommendations on a LCD HDTV that is less than 26" wide? HELP...my WEGA
is fading fast.
post #93 of 6575
i think the xbr6 will once again be sony's flagship model, and who said there wont be a 60 inch set, i anticipate that sony will anounce a 57 inch xbr6 model
post #94 of 6575
Quote:
Originally Posted by domino92024 View Post

I have been considering a Bravia KDL-26S3000 for a cabinet (which is limited
to TVs that are 25.99" or less wide.) Has/will this set be discontinued? The
only other model I could find that was comparable - but less than 26" - is the
Panasonic TC-26LX70. I am disabled and cannot search for a retailer that has
both of these monitors in operation. Anybody here seen them both? Any other
recommendations on a LCD HDTV that is less than 26" wide? HELP...my WEGA
is fading fast.

i have the sony 46s3000 and love with, the 26 inch set should also be very good
post #95 of 6575
Quote:
Originally Posted by MUGEN View Post

Motionflow creates 60 unique frames between each of the existing 60 frames, doubling the frames displayed per second in real-time, further improving images for fast action sports and other programming. The technology dramatically eliminates motion artifacts (“judder”) while watching content filmed at 24 frames-per-second.

Who writes this crap? Judder is what happens when you screw up 24 frames per second with 3:2 pulldown.
post #96 of 6575
Quote:
Originally Posted by kazm899 View Post

i think the xbr6 will once again be sony's flagship model, and who said there wont be a 60 inch set, i anticipate that sony will anounce a 57 inch xbr6 model

Sony does not build 57" Glass, they would have to have Samsung provide it as they have it exclusively. While they are partnered on 5,000 patents the substrates in the 57" have been Samsungs for nearly two years as they spent at least three years in development of that 57" to bring it to market in June 2006. I'd thought Sony would have worked a deal with Samsung for 57" glass but nothing has materialized for nearly two years that Samsung has had their two 57" models.

Keep in mind previous to this partnership Sony had no production capacity of their own in the sense they were rebadging others glass. Sony has been seeking additional capacity and other partners with the success of Bravia LCD's but when it comes to large substrates that capacity can take a fortune and a year or two to bring together, just as the next gen Sharp thins at large sizes will be available when the new plant is complete in about 18 months -two years.

Large substrates and production capacity is where Sharp leads as they have planned and built that capacity anticipating the growth and so they have very little competition in the large 65" area of LCD's. I agree a 57" would be enticing for many with XBR4 while it's still too small for me when I already have one, 65"-70" is an upgqrade for those used to HT sizes. I believe Toshiba uses Samsung glass on their 57" LCD so perhaps Samsung doesn't have the capacity but to provide so many with the 57"? It does make you wonder why Sony cannot work out a deal for the 57" glass with Samsung - it's been in the rumor mill for over a year now with nothing materializing.
post #97 of 6575
This may have been posted already, I have not read this whole thread, but I was speaking to the Sony guy over by all of the LCD TVs. He said that the Z series is not the top of the line set and that XBR is and always will be. I asked a lot of questions about how Sony has exited the rear projection market and there is nothing there to fill that void. I asked if they are worried about those customers going to Samsung or any of the other television manaufacturers that still offer moderately priced sets in the 50-65" range. He said that was one of the things sony considered when making that decision. He also eluded to the fact that there might be a larger XBR set with reasonable pricing announced later this year to fill that void, but on many of his answeres he just smiled and said said " I can not comment on that". This was also in response to if the new XBR sets would have LCD back lighting.
Another interesting player in this could be the new Panasonic plasma sets. They looked really good at the CES show, are getting much thinner, power consumption is dropping, but are still Plasma sets. They also said the price will be dropping a lot this year. I am not a fan of plasma at all, but they looked REALLY good and had some very nice specifications. There were also a lot of sets at the the show that also looked great, and every one had some sort of auto motion control for a smoother picture when the picture moves.

I hope Sony announces something soon to fill the void or customers will be going somewhere else to find what they need.

Bryan
post #98 of 6575
Thanks Bryan.

BTW, I'm guessing that you meant to say "LED" not "LCD" in this quote...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeepdude View Post

... This was also in response to if the new XBR sets would have LCD back lighting...
post #99 of 6575
Yes XBR is still the cream of the crop line. I have heard that the bigger XBR6 may comeout on Q3 and will most likely have better specs than the 32 & 37 XBR6. XBR4/5 will also remain as the top of the line series over the rest of the new 2008 model until bigger XBR6 comes.

To those who were @ CES, did anyone notice that the rest of the lines (V,W,&Z) did not have the same pop as the XBR6? Even with 120Hz and MotionFLow, I think the XBR4/5 still has more pop than these new sets.

...
post #100 of 6575
I just purchased a 40W3000 3 weeks ago and now I'm reading about the 2008 W series. It seems like the 2008 W is pretty similar to the existing XBR4/5, with the addition of 120Hz.

So should I return the 40W3000 and wait till Spring to get the new 40W4100? Is it worth waiting for the newer model which essentially gives me 120Hz, an extra HDMI port and new menu system?

I'm also assuming the 40W4100 will cost at least the same or even less than the 40W3000!

Oh... the dilema!
post #101 of 6575
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryus View Post

I just purchased a 40W3000 3 weeks ago and now I'm reading about the 2008 W series. It seems like the 2008 W is pretty similar to the existing XBR4/5, with the addition of 120Hz.

So should I return the 40W3000 and wait till Spring to get the new 40W4100? Is it worth waiting for the newer model which essentially gives me 120Hz, an extra HDMI port and new menu system?

I'm also assuming the 40W4100 will cost at least the same or even less than the 40W3000!

Oh... the dilema!

Same Q Here
post #102 of 6575
yes return it and wait 3 more months
post #103 of 6575
Couple Qs

1. How does the order go for the 2008 lineup? Is the Z series higher end then W as far as specs go or is it just the thin bevel?

It went V, W, XBR before. You'd think it would be V, W, Z, XBR given the whole alphabetical order thing, but on the Sony CES site the Z is listed right after S.

2. I'm on the cusp of buying a 46 or 52" W series... think I should wait 'til April for either the new Ws or, if they're better, the Z?
post #104 of 6575
Thread Starter 
could be stop bashing the designs of the tv's we dont' buy tv's to look at bezel designs all day.

hopefully next week i can talk to a sony rep at this sony event i'm going to next weekend ask about any new tv's coming out this fall.
post #105 of 6575
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeepdude View Post

. This was also in response to if the new XBR sets would have LCD back lighting.

Bryan

Well, the big questions is, if they do go with a LED backlighting, will it be gen 2 from the Samsung 81 series? Because from what I've read about the 81's, they really aren't worth the extra $$$.

Thoughts?

-T
post #106 of 6575
I supose that they will be a step up at least considering the time period that will have passed
post #107 of 6575
Man I sure hope so !!!!
And 4ms would be a defenetive add .... I know Home theater magazine says it wont make a difference on motion blur but ... at least it might help a little i would think ???
post #108 of 6575
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew75 View Post

I thought one of the points of the small XBR6 sets were to accomodate people with pre-exisiting TV furniture, but they want a high quality TV. The floating glass bevel designs would kill a 37" for most people who have a cabinent that accomodates a 32" tube. So I would expect the fall XBR6's to once again be high design, like their predecessors.

DUDE I HOPE YOUR RIGHT ON THAT !!!
post #109 of 6575
I'm always amazed by how negative people get about designs I really like. There is absolutely nothing wrong with these sets, IMO. Very simple and industrial looking. The samsungs and westinghouses are the worst.
post #110 of 6575
Quote:
Originally Posted by FitzRoy View Post

I'm always amazed by how negative people get about designs I really like. There is absolutely nothing wrong with these sets, IMO. Very simple and industrial looking. The samsungs and westinghouses are the worst.

Look clearer !!!!!
Exactly that ... instead of looking stylish they come out with a bulky looking box a la NORCENT or SOYO ...... if i wanted my livingroom too look UGLY i would by those tv's instead , hence the reason why i think sony always does sweet looking things when it comes to electronics, and thats why it bogles my mind that they went with the INDUSTRIAL LOOK ....
This is only my opinion on the look of the set ,... To each their own.
Since I happen to think sammy's 71f is sweet looking..
post #111 of 6575
Quote:
Originally Posted by MUGEN View Post

could be stop bashing the designs of the tv's we dont' buy tv's to look at bezel designs all day.

hopefully next week i can talk to a sony rep at this sony event i'm going to next weekend ask about any new tv's coming out this fall.

Mugen,

I respect your opinion, but I do not agree with it. To me, aesthetics is an important part of a TV purchase- afterall it is essentially a piece of home furnishing and needs to look as good too. Image quality is without a doubt the most important element when evaluating a TV, but I don't want to spend thousands of dollars on an ugly TV either.

Just my 2 cents.
post #112 of 6575
Anything on the BRAVIA Engine 2? Do we have to expect it is more powerfull than the EX and PRO?
post #113 of 6575
Does anyone know when the 52" F Series is coming out. I dislike thick
bezels. I would have purchased the XBR4 but the klunky bezel turned
us off.
post #114 of 6575
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhialto View Post

Anything on the BRAVIA Engine 2? Do we have to expect it is more powerfull than the EX and PRO?

Bravia Engine 2 it'll be probably base on the Cell Processor like Toshiba did for the Regza 2008.
post #115 of 6575
Quote:
Originally Posted by binnn4 View Post

yes return it and wait 3 more months

Bear in mind that a launch period of "spring" can be anything from mid-March to mid-June. It would seem prudent of Sony to get them out in March to compete with the coming Toshiba and Samsung sets but at this point it is just speculation.
post #116 of 6575
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtVandelae View Post

Bear in mind that a launch period of "spring" can be anything from mid-March to mid-June. It would seem prudent of Sony to get them out in March to compete with the coming Toshiba and Samsung sets but at this point it is just speculation.

In the past several years Sony has used CES as a Showcase event but they hold out specifics as to release dates until they have their Sony Show in Feb/March. At that point they usually provide more specifics with their dedicated Press Releases. Sony has always had excellent control of pre-release info (leaks) so as to have their Trade Show the Showplace for new releases and in the spotlight without several other competitors CES has.

There's likely to be significant differences with the ending of RPTV in February but they cannot switch over production lines overnight as LCD has far more automation involved than RPTV thus = higher profits - they'll have to build the automated infrastructure in Mexico just as they did in Pennsylvania this past year to switch over from RPTV. The Sony Show should be the launching point where they specify date ranges if they follow the history of the past three years.
post #117 of 6575
i think the new line look very nice - finally they got thin bezels -- i like the look - and hope the price isnt too crazy - i have an 32xbr4 and love the PQ in my bedroom -

was about to jump on something on Presidents day next month but now i have to hold off for these sets -

does anyone know what the big difference is between the Z and W line ? i was going to look at the W300 but it dosnt have 120hz - i have it on my 32xbr4 and it does look pretty cool at times - certain movies etc. -

i am glad i didnt get the xbr4 46 - to be honest - i did like the frame at first - but i really want a thin bezel and its about time sony is making them - the whole thing about LCD is the large screen - not a thick bezel around it -

i think OLED will work out and be for sale in 2009 at least at the 32 inch size or even 40 inch - samsung is going to make sony speed it up since they made a 31 inch model i think - now only if people can afford them - thats the big question -

so what is the big difference between the 2008 models of the Z line and W line ? -- i dont see much in the specs that are different -
post #118 of 6575
Here's to hoping for a 52" Z this spring....

I really like that new thin bezel!
post #119 of 6575
Quote:
Originally Posted by || Vitty || View Post

Here's to hoping for a 52" Z this spring....

I really like that new thin bezel!

I will pull the trigger if it comes out with a thin bezel
post #120 of 6575
anyone have info on the new panel speed ?

would it be 4ms finally ? or the same 8ms ?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: LCD Flat Panel Displays
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › LCD Flat Panel Displays › SONY BRAVIA 2008 Line Up