or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › HDTV › HDTV Programming › Dish Network HDTV
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Dish Network HDTV - Page 68

post #2011 of 2570
Im planning to buy dish network international channel south asian tamil mega pack. Are tamil channels are Hd? All my 55' , 42', and 32' inch Tvs are HD.. If anyone own this channels from dish help me....
post #2012 of 2570
Other than a couple of Spanish channels, there are NO internationals in HD, sorry...
post #2013 of 2570
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carbon Unit View Post

I have one more Dish Network question:

What is attracking me to Dish is the offer of a Slingbox Pro with the installation. What I want to do with it is have access to Sirius Sat radio, other channels and DVR content on a smart phone so I can listen in the gym and on 3 hour bikes rides.

I thought Dish dumped Sirius (except for holiday times)?? There are still CD & Audio channels, but not Sirius specific...or am I missing something?
post #2014 of 2570
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrdjman View Post

I thought Dish dumped Sirius (except for holiday times)?? There are still CD & Audio channels, but not Sirius specific...or am I missing something?

Yes, I think you're thinking about Directv.
post #2015 of 2570
Dish still has Sirius/XM....
post #2016 of 2570
Really? What channel range? All I can find are Aud & CD...all of the Sirius channels seem to be gone. I'm sure they told me that they weren't going to carry them except at the holidays. I'm on the East coast, if that makes a difference...
post #2017 of 2570
They're in the low 6000's if you have AT200 or AT250. Otherwise you only get Aud & CD. HERE's the whole list.
post #2018 of 2570
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdavej View Post

Otherwise you only get Aud & CD

You get the AUD (mono) channels ONLY in AT250 - CD's are in ALL ATxxx pkgs.
post #2019 of 2570
Do the Dish Audio Music channels sound any better than the CD ones do?

The Sirius channels sounded pretty decent - certainly not audiophile, but still extremely listenable, to my ears - back when I had them (before the merger). However, the CD channels sound terrible to me in comparison.

Anyway, about "the holiday times", they do give AT120 subscribers a few Sirius/XM Christmas music channels during that time of year (I don't know about the Family tier - I've never had that). Not all their music channels, though (I wish, but no dice).
post #2020 of 2570
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rammitinski View Post

Do the Dish Audio Music channels sound any better than the CD ones do?

Well uh, they are mono only, so IMHO, that's obviously NOT a plus!
Quality otherwise, they're probably less than the CD channels. They're really meant for "background music" type establishments, so they are NOT going for killer sound on a home stereo system. (they are only thrown in that upper package for "channel filler" anyway, since they are also used by Muzak to supply these channels to their commercial clients)

Quote:


The Sirius channels sounded pretty decent - certainly not audiophile, but still extremely listenable, to my ears - back when I had them (before the merger). However, the CD channels sound terrible to me in comparison.

That's interesting - because I always thought exactly the opposite...

The CD channels, at least when I was out at the E* uplink center in Chyenne, WY for a (dealer) tour, actually originated from "CD jukeboxes" on premise. So they should, in theory, have a leg up on the SXM stuff that has to be piped into the uplink center. (either on direct fiber feed or satellite feed) But supposedly, this direct feed does NOT have all the heavy compression/processing required for the feed that goes out to SXM radios.
post #2021 of 2570
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdavej View Post

They're in the low 6000's if you have AT200 or AT250. Otherwise you only get Aud & CD. HERE's the whole list.

Ahhh...THANKS! I've got AT250, and I guess I just didn't go up far enough in the channels. That'll make my Sling adapter even more worth it...
post #2022 of 2570
Today i ordered dish network over phone. Sales guy asked for my ssn and ran credit check and it cameout fine and also he told to give my credit card no upfront and charged me for the first month fee and send the recpt. The technician coming on saturday. Is this normal to charge to pay first month fee even brfore service?

Can i complain this anywhere??
post #2023 of 2570
This is quite normal. In the past, you would be billed two months on your first bill, one for the first month and one month in advance. Now they just bill you in advance for the first month.
post #2024 of 2570
Quote:
Originally Posted by solaris72 View Post

Today i ordered dish network over phone. Sales guy asked for my ssn and ran credit check and it cameout fine and also he told to give my credit card no upfront and charged me for the first month fee and send the recpt. The technician coming on saturday. Is this normal to charge to pay first month fee even brfore service?

Can i complain this anywhere??

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobby94928 View Post

This is quite normal. In the past, you would be billed two months on your first bill, one for the first month and one month in advance. Now they just bill you in advance for the first month.

No, this is not normal.

Yes service is billed in advance... but you do not pay anything until the installation is performed and you sign the work order!

Some installations are free, so no money due at signing... but then they would bill your first bill. Sometimes your first bill would actually be for 2 months because they would bill for the month then the next month in advance.

Other installations require money due at the time of the installation.

But I've never heard of being asked to pay before the installer shows up.

Did you call Dish directly OR a Dish reseller?
post #2025 of 2570
No I bought directly from dish. I was dish customer before, but they never charged with my order. This guy first said its for security and later said i will be charged and for some reason, the installation fails they will refund.
Not sure they are doing this to all customers!
Quote:
Originally Posted by HDMe2 View Post
No, this is not normal.

Yes service is billed in advance... but you do not pay anything until the installation is performed and you sign the work order!

Some installations are free, so no money due at signing... but then they would bill your first bill. Sometimes your first bill would actually be for 2 months because they would bill for the month then the next month in advance.

Other installations require money due at the time of the installation.

But I've never heard of being asked to pay before the installer shows up.

Did you call Dish directly OR a Dish reseller?
post #2026 of 2570
Quote:
Originally Posted by solaris72 View Post
No I bought directly from dish. I was dish customer before, but they never charged with my order. This guy first said its for security and later said i will be charged and for some reason, the installation fails they will refund.
Not sure they are doing this to all customers!
The only scenarios I can think of to explain this:

1. They didn't really charge you, but don't know how to read their computer screen and gave you incorrect info.

2. You did not pass the credit check, and they are charging something to be used as a deposit but did not inform you of this correctly.

3. You are being signed up as a pre-pay customer instead of a regular customer.

Are you sure you called Dish? What phone number did you call? There are lots of retailers that advertise as if they are Dish, but they really aren't... and some folks have been misled by some of these retailers.
post #2027 of 2570
My credit score is 793. I called 1800 from www.dishnetwork.com and. I got charged on my amex card which i can see rightaway
post #2028 of 2570
Quote:
Originally Posted by solaris72 View Post

My credit score is 793. I called 1800 from www.dishnetwork.com and. I got charged on my amex card which i can see rightaway

The next questions...

1. Did you sign up or agree to autopay? Where they automatically draft your bill from your credit card each month?

2. Are you sure it is an actual charge? And not just a hold/check that will go away in a couple of days?

3. One other thing I thought of... Are you getting a standard installation OR did you upgrade to something like a 922 DVR where there is an upfront fee?
post #2029 of 2570
This has been a dish policy for all new customers for a few months now. Almost a year in fact. It has nothing to do with a credit check. It's just designed to help the install go in by tying you down with a payment.

You're less likely to cancel or to miss the install if you've already invested into the product.
post #2030 of 2570
Quote:
Originally Posted by nakedeye View Post

This has been a dish policy for all new customers for a few months now. Almost a year in fact. It has nothing to do with a credit check. It's just designed to help the install go in by tying you down with a payment.

You're less likely to cancel or to miss the install if you've already invested into the product.

I'm a happy Dish customer... but there's no way this could be legal for them to bill you for a month in advance for a service they haven't shown up for the install!

As for "being serious"... what about the nebulous "noon-5pm" install times companies are notorious for scheduling? And what happens when the installer isn't able to make it and cancels OR shows up and can't finish the job OR shows up and can't get line of sight?

I can't believe this is really Dish policy UNLESS it has to do with credit check, non-standard install fees, or the pre-pay program.
post #2031 of 2570
I confirm it show up in my cc statments.

I only took international channel as i locked with comcast contract for local channels.

But im not happy with their charge as well as picture quality
post #2032 of 2570
Quote:
Originally Posted by HDMe2 View Post


I'm a happy Dish customer... but there's no way this could be legal for them to bill you for a month in advance for a service they haven't shown up for the install!

As for "being serious"... what about the nebulous "noon-5pm" install times companies are notorious for scheduling? And what happens when the installer isn't able to make it and cancels OR shows up and can't finish the job OR shows up and can't get line of sight?

I can't believe this is really Dish policy UNLESS it has to do with credit check, non-standard install fees, or the pre-pay program.

Believe what you want. It is what it is. It applies to everyone.

I work at a very high level with dish on the install side of things. It's their policy.
post #2033 of 2570
Quote:
Originally Posted by nakedeye View Post

Believe what you want. It is what it is. It applies to everyone.

I work at a very high level with dish on the install side of things. It's their policy.

Billing a month in advance is one thing... Asking for a deposit for a new/upgrade receiver is another thing...

But charging for service that has not yet been installed? That simply can't be policy, not unless Dish wants to open the door to some more lawsuits.

The "customer" isn't a customer until the installer has shown up and performed the work... so there's no way you could legally charge that customer for the next month's service in advance of the installer showing up.

Until the customer signs the work order... it legally didn't happen. There is no contract with the customer until the installer finishes and gets the signature on the work order. There's really not a way around that.

I guarantee Dish would lose if this was fought in court... because they can't possibly bill/charge a customer for a service that the customer cannot possibly be getting before the installer does the work.
post #2034 of 2570
Quote:
Originally Posted by HDMe2 View Post

Billing a month in advance is one thing... Asking for a deposit for a new/upgrade receiver is another thing...

But charging for service that has not yet been installed? That simply can't be policy, not unless Dish wants to open the door to some more lawsuits.

The "customer" isn't a customer until the installer has shown up and performed the work... so there's no way you could legally charge that customer for the next month's service in advance of the installer showing up.

Until the customer signs the work order... it legally didn't happen. There is no contract with the customer until the installer finishes and gets the signature on the work order. There's really not a way around that.

I guarantee Dish would lose if this was fought in court... because they can't possibly bill/charge a customer for a service that the customer cannot possibly be getting before the installer does the work.

I am sorry, I just don't follow your argument. There are plenty of cases were companies charge you a deposit before work is performed. Or for goods that have not been delivered yet. If they don't start the clock ticking on your first month until the installer actually turns on the service, all should be fine. They have your money sitting in an unearned revenue account somewhere until then. If the install goes bad for some reason, they issue you a credit. No big deal. Lots of companies work that way. This seems like the classic tempest in a teapot. If you don't like the way the do business, don't do business with them. No need for lawyers or anything else, do to Direct or your local cable company if you like their business processes better.
post #2035 of 2570
Quote:
Originally Posted by harrys11 View Post

I am sorry, I just don't follow your argument. There are plenty of cases were companies charge you a deposit before work is performed. Or for goods that have not been delivered yet. If they don't start the clock ticking on your first month until the installer actually turns on the service, all should be fine. They have your money sitting in an unearned revenue account somewhere until then. If the install goes bad for some reason, they issue you a credit. No big deal. Lots of companies work that way. This seems like the classic tempest in a teapot. If you don't like the way the do business, don't do business with them. No need for lawyers or anything else, do to Direct or your local cable company if you like their business processes better.

Apples and oranges... and I already posted I'm a long-term happy Dish customer.

A deposit would be one thing... so too would be an upgrade fee for a specific receiver. Those make sense. Also a pre-paid account would make sense, especially if the customer doesn't pass the credit check.

But, taking him at his word, this person says he has already been charged for the full next month's service... and his installer wasn't going to be there for several days.

The installer might cancel, might not show up OR cancel, might show up but cannot do the work... any number of things...

Credit cards actually carry with them an agreement (from the retailer accepting the card) that they will not charge for something they are not prepared to deliver. Charging a customer for next month's service when technically the customer isn't a customer until he signs the installer completed work order wouldn't be enforceable.

I'm not complaining... I have nothing to complain about... but if new customers are being charged for service before the installer comes out to do the work... then that's a huge problem.
post #2036 of 2570
Quote:
Originally Posted by HDMe2 View Post

I'm not complaining... I have nothing to complain about... but if new customers are being charged for service before the installer comes out to do the work... then that's a huge problem.

Actually it's a bigger problem if the installer goes out and they don't do the work... because of the customer. It's easy to refund the customer and much harder to flip for the subcontractors' trip charge.
post #2037 of 2570
Has anyone tried pairing the powerline adapter that Dish installs with a second retail adapter? Or know if it's possible? Not sure how the powerline adapters work but I'd like to get out of buying two by using Dish's since I've already got one.

Thanks.
post #2038 of 2570
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles R View Post

Actually it's a bigger problem if the installer goes out and they don't do the work... because of the customer. It's easy to refund the customer and much harder to flip for the subcontractors' trip charge.

Don't get me wrong... when a customer screws over an installer I sympathize there too.

But the "ease" of the refund is doubtful. A charge to a credit card happens... and most companies can be 30-60 days before you see a refund of the charge... and that assumes they get right on processing it.

As a customer who refused service or had a problem, you are low on the priority list to get the refund... At least the installer has an employer who has to pay him for the time... and there are more serious repercussions for an employer who doesn't pay...

Now, that sub-contracting company getting Dish to pay is another story... but that loops back to the original concept! IF it is proper to make the customer pay for the service before the install... then shouldn't Dish be paying the subcontractor before he goes out on the install too?
post #2039 of 2570
Quote:
Originally Posted by jp62278 View Post

Has anyone tried pairing the powerline adapter that Dish installs with a second retail adapter? Or know if it's possible? Not sure how the powerline adapters work but I'd like to get out of buying two by using Dish's since I've already got one.

Be careful... not for danger, but for compatibility.

I have some HomePlug 1.0 adapters and some 2.0 adapters... and while 2.0 is supposed to be backwards compatible, they aren't always.

I learned that I needed to have powerline adapters that were at the same level of technology at every point in order to have reliable connections that way for networking.

I have only tried the SlingLink and SlingLink Turbo adapters... but since I had trouble mixing Turbo with non-turbo, I have to think mixing Sling and non-Sling powerline adapters might have similar results.

I recommend purchasing from a place that has a good return policy that will allow you to return/exchange them IF you find compatibility issues.
post #2040 of 2570
Quote:
Originally Posted by HDMe2 View Post
But the "ease" of the refund is doubtful. A charge to a credit card happens... and most companies can be 30-60 days before you see a refund of the charge... and that assumes they get right on processing it.
Since I administer a merchant account I tend to disagree. Push one key and the charge is reversed. Also, on the consumer side I typically see the credit posted within a couple of days. You can instantly dispute a charge as well with one phone call which stops you from having to pay for it until it's resolved.
Quote:
At least the installer has an employer who has to pay him for the time... and there are more serious repercussions for an employer who doesn't pay..
Dish has to pay them regardless. Which is an expense they aren't going to recover. They are simply trying to reduce this lose by reducing the likelihood of it happening. As it's far beyond the topic at hand and I no longer subscribe to Dish I'll drop this too.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: HDTV Programming
AVS › AVS Forum › HDTV › HDTV Programming › Dish Network HDTV