or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Blu-ray & HD DVD › HDTV Software Media Discussion › Authoring Blue-Ray on regular DVD-R DL
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Authoring Blue-Ray on regular DVD-R DL

post #1 of 99
Thread Starter 
I have a lot of HD movies that I've recorded from Dish Network in HD MPEG2 TS using my Dish 6000 with R5000-HD mod, was wondering if I can make Blue-Ray format on regular DVD-R DL even if it takes 2 or 3 discs as long as I keep the high quality of the video and AC-3 audio so I will be able to play them on my playstation 3, I know I can play them as Data Disc if converted them to MPEG2 PS using videoredo, But I just want to go for this option for fun purposes, I have roxio 9 it does author in blue ray but it won't let you save disc image it copy stright to blu-ray disc.
post #2 of 99
As far as I know, you can't do that with blu-ray. Another reason why HD DVD is more consumer friendly and the better format.
post #3 of 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by eapleitez View Post

As far as I know, you can't do that with blu-ray. Another reason why HD DVD is more consumer friendly and the better format.

I haven't found a way to do that either. I guess you can always stream that content (.tp/.ts) files to the PS3. Oh wait, you can't do that either

And pro-WMV HD files, they play but no sound.

Convert it to MPEG2, great...oh wait, the 2GB limit kicks in and you get 1/2 of the time of a DVD-R or 1/4 of the time of a DVD+R DL
post #4 of 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by eapleitez View Post

As far as I know, you can't do that with blu-ray. Another reason why HD DVD is more consumer friendly and the better format.

Please reserve your opinions to the format. Don't assume everyone else thinks its "the better format".

I've owned both, I was an A1 & XA2 owner the days those players came out. I don't know I'd say they are the "better" format; they had QUITE a few downfalls. Bought a PS3 and sold the players in early '07 because I had a bad feeling about the format, but that's besides the point...

In response to the OP's question, I'm not entire certain on this but I believe it can be done but the authoring software isn't quite where it needs to be yet.

I have Roxio too and I can't get it to burn to a DVD (much less DL) because its looking for a BD-25. I don't even see an option to burn to a BD-50. I'm pretty sure the PS3 will just read it as a BR-authored disc if its done right. I don't know though, someone needs to come out with some better authoring software so we can test this!

Can anyone with some more experience chime in? This would be excellent if we can get it to to work!
post #5 of 99
It must be possible, since the AVS HD calibration disk can be burned to DVD-R and played on Blu-Ray players:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...alibration+iso
Ask them how they made the ISO.
post #6 of 99
There is a BD9 spec, but I'm not sure if it's mandatory that all players can do it. BD9 would be similar to how HD DVD does it, where a lower bitrate HD signal can be played with red laser from regular DVD9 media.

This is something I was actually looking forward to down the road with HD DVD as we are planning on getting an HD camcorder soon. This would let us burn HD material on regular DVD9 and watch it in high definition on our HD player.
post #7 of 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by eapleitez View Post

As far as I know, you can't do that with blu-ray. Another reason why HD DVD is more consumer friendly and the better format.

Yes, you CAN.

Here is couple thread for you to chew on:

My Blu-Ray Movie Burning Experiences...
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=815296

TsRemux: Transport Stream De/Re-muxer
http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=125447

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmpage2 View Post

This is something I was actually looking forward to down the road with HD DVD as we are planning on getting an HD camcorder soon. This would let us burn HD material on regular DVD9 and watch it in high definition on our HD player.

I can author my MPEG-2 HDV or MPEG-4 AVCHD home videos on DVD 5/9 using TSRemux and play them on PS3.
post #8 of 99
You need one of the following programs: Pinnacle studio11, Ulead movie factory6, Sony Vegas pro8.

Any one of these programs will do what you want. The format will be AVCHD with DD5.1 sound.
post #9 of 99
Another possible option: When Apple announces Mac Pro Blu-ray drive add-on options at Macworld this month (as they're strongly rumored to do), I'm sure some authoring software updates will go with it. There should be some sort of solution in there, I'm sure. Just have to keep one's eyes peeled.

BTW, I'm in the same boat as the OP...I've got a lot of R5000-HD content on HDDs that I'd love to throw onto some shiny discs this Spring.

Problem is, the media is still just too expensive to warrant the move. Hard drives are waaaay cheaper.
post #10 of 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbarney View Post

Any one of these programs will do what you want. The format will be AVCHD with DD5.1 sound.

Yes, format will be AVCHD, but with TSRemux you can put MPEG-2 video, because TSRemux puts AVCHD tag into index.bdmv and MovieObject.bdmv files and makes Blu-ray players to think that video is AVCHD..
post #11 of 99
There is no e in Blu-ray.
post #12 of 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by GamerGuyX View Post

There is no e in Blu-ray.

Yes, that's tru!
post #13 of 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by MozartMan View Post

Here is couple thread for you to chew on:

My Blu-Ray Movie Burning Experiences...
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=815296

Where is the nice guide? The first page only talked about burning on BD-R / BD-RE discs.

I am encouraged to see 25GB BD-R's at Fry's for $10, but the burners still up over $400 is disheartening. If my team makes it to and wins the Superb Bowl, it looks like I will be learning how to author and borrowing my cousin's burner.
post #14 of 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetwoodguy79 View Post

Please reserve your opinions to the format. Don't assume everyone else thinks its "the better format".

I've owned both, I was an A1 & XA2 owner the days those players came out. I don't know I'd say they are the "better" format; they had QUITE a few downfalls. Bought a PS3 and sold the players in early '07 because I had a bad feeling about the format, but that's besides the point...

In response to the OP's question, I'm not entire certain on this but I believe it can be done but the authoring software isn't quite where it needs to be yet.

I have Roxio too and I can't get it to burn to a DVD (much less DL) because its looking for a BD-25. I don't even see an option to burn to a BD-50. I'm pretty sure the PS3 will just read it as a BR-authored disc if its done right. I don't know though, someone needs to come out with some better authoring software so we can test this!

Can anyone with some more experience chime in? This would be excellent if we can get it to to work!

Don't tell me how to voice my opinion. It is MY OPINION, jerk.
post #15 of 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by eapleitez View Post

Don't tell me how to voice my opinion. It is MY OPINION, jerk.

Well, opinions around here are not as tolerated as they once were...so I forsee this thread getting shut down pretty quickly...
post #16 of 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbarney View Post

You need one of the following programs: Pinnacle studio11, Ulead movie factory6, Sony Vegas pro8.

Any one of these programs will do what you want. The format will be AVCHD with DD5.1 sound.

Just be clear, can you burn an HD video to a DVD-R with one of those programs and play it on any Blu-Ray stand alone?

Has anyone actually done this (not on a PS3)?

From the SW documentation, you have a choice of Blu-ray Discâ„¢ (BDMV) Authoring or HD DVD on standard DVD (Create HD DVD productions with motion menus and burn onto standard DVDs). I can not find anything that says Burn Blu-ray to standard DVDs.
post #17 of 99
Yes. I haven't tested these apps, but in principle it works because I've done it.

There's two kinds of formats. BDAV and BDMV. BDAV is an mpeg2 only format (from what I can tell) and is old legacy support that might have been dropped

I have both the HD DVD and BD specs on the actual formats (we are members of both), and because of that, we get to write test authoring programs to generate HD DVD and BDMV wrappers around AVC & MPEG2 (& VC-1 too) streams.

The BDMV structure for DVD/R you can derive from AVCHD DVD/R disks burnt by camcorders.

You can burn them onto DVD/RW, except that there's a limit to how high a peak bitrate HD-A1/A2 can play (30Mbps is where is stutters and dies). The PS3 also cannot play anything with peak higher than 54Mbps. The thing to watch out for is that some players don't recognize the AVCHD format, but anyone making AVCHD camcorders : Sony, Panasonic, Hitachi will bend over backwards to support AVCHD or release FW upgrades for it.

AVCHD file structure is basically BDMV.
post #18 of 99
While not a true BD disc, I can burn a AVC-HD disc and my Pio 95HD BD player recognizes it as a AVC-HD disc and plays it.
-Evangelo2
post #19 of 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neo1965 View Post

Yes. I haven't tested these apps, but in principle it works because I've done it.

There's two kinds of formats. BDAV and BDMV. BDAV is an mpeg2 only format (from what I can tell) and is old legacy support that might have been dropped

I have both the HD DVD and BD specs on the actual formats (we are members of both), and because of that, we get to write test authoring programs to generate HD DVD and BDMV wrappers around AVC & MPEG2 (& VC-1 too) streams.

The BDMV structure for DVD/R you can derive from AVCHD DVD/R disks burnt by camcorders.

You can burn them onto DVD/RW, except that there's a limit to how high a peak bitrate HD-A1/A2 can play (30Mbps is where is stutters and dies). The PS3 also cannot play anything with peak higher than 54Mbps. The thing to watch out for is that some players don't recognize the AVCHD format, but anyone making AVCHD camcorders : Sony, Panasonic, Hitachi will bend over backwards to support AVCHD or release FW upgrades for it.

AVCHD file structure is basically BDMV.

I have an AVCHD camcorder, so this is good. So it sound like you can burn AVCHD video to DVDs and you just need player that supports that.
post #20 of 99
I have used Nero 8 to burn transport stream files onto a DVD DL disc into AVCHD and played it on my PS3.

If you don't need menu options, then that would be the way to go.

If you do need menu options, then you will have to go with some of the other software listed above!
post #21 of 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by eapleitez View Post

As far as I know, you can't do that with blu-ray. Another reason why HD DVD is more consumer friendly and the better format.

I'm very close to getting HDDVD header on a DVD disc to work. I have my local HD recordings of Heroes, CSI saved on a DVD+R but with HDDVD header. When I insert the DVD+R with Heroes I saved, my A2 shows HDDVD on the lcd panel. However, the audio sometimes stutters. I'm getting real close. Maybe, if I change a burner software like Nero, it would work. I'm just using Deepburn to burn it and maybe that's the problem.

Anyways, I wasn't aware that it cannot be done on blu-ray.
post #22 of 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by v1rtu0s1ty View Post

I'm very close to getting HDDVD header on a DVD disc to work. I have my local HD recordings of Heroes, CSI saved on a DVD+R but with HDDVD header. When I insert the DVD+R with Heroes I saved, my A2 shows HDDVD on the lcd panel. However, the audio sometimes stutters. I'm getting real close. Maybe, if I change a burner software like Nero, it would work. I'm just using Deepburn to burn it and maybe that's the problem.

You do know there's a huge thread that describes exactly how to author HD-DVD content on a DVD-R, right? It's a sticky at the top of the HD-DVD Software Forum.

Chris
post #23 of 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by Everdog View Post

I have an AVCHD camcorder, so this is good. So it sound like you can burn AVCHD video to DVDs and you just need player that supports that.

I have 3 AVCHD camcorders.

Sony's HDR-UX1 - this burns to small DVD/R/RW/DL of any combination. The disks can be inserted to a PS3 or panasonic player.

Hitachi's BDR-Z70a BD-RE/R - this burns to any small DVD or BD media as well. The disk also plays directly on a PS3 or panasonic player without changes. The small BD-RE is even more expensive than normal BD-RE (yes, they always fleece the early adopters). This camcorder is bulky, and the BD-RE after being written and erased about 12 times sems to have a glitch that caused recording to fail in the middle. I can't find small BD-RE in canada. Will find a few more when I visit akihabara again. But this is not my favorite camcorder.

Panasonic HDC-SD5 - this uses a SDHC but writes in AVCHD folder structure. It comes with software to take the SD AVCHD content and burn onto DVD/R, but I bypassed all that and used my own tools. This is my favorite because the 4GB/8GB/16GB SDHC can be inserted in the PS3 and played directly like a disk. You can also copy the video onto the PS3's HDD. I kept quite a few for demo purposes. Archival is via HDD, but I will have to move them to BD-RE at some point.

---

Of the three, I like the panasonic best. But SDHC is very expensive.
post #24 of 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by eapleitez View Post

As far as I know, you can't do that with blu-ray. Another reason why HD DVD is more consumer friendly and the better format.

As far as I know, you are completely incorrect (and I know what I am talking about, as opposed to you). Another reason why BOTH formats are quite consumer friendly and BOTH formats have their pros and cons. Oh, and Blu-ray is really the better format, so there.
post #25 of 99
I think you can only do this with HD-DVD. Sorry.
post #26 of 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by anotheraviator View Post

I think you can only do this with HD-DVD. Sorry.

I beg to differ. I have 35 BD-REs and 5 DVD/R disks that works on any player that supports AVCHD (Panasonic and PS3 were tested). Last year, I authored a 1GB BDMV on DVD-R that plays on panasonic and sony player and made the ISO available for people to download. I was hoping for people to tell me if it plays on their player.

From what I can tell, at least 5 people downloaded the ISO file that can be burnt onto any 8X speed DVD/R.

The disk was made from the 1080P Elephant Dreams VC-1 Optimal encode that microsoft was kind enough to distribute freely on their website. That video peaks at close to 50Mbps for 12 seconds.
post #27 of 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by anotheraviator View Post

I think you can only do this with HD-DVD. Sorry.

Did you actually read any of the thread at all? It has already been stated by numerous posters that BOTH formats have this ability.
post #28 of 99
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by MozartMan View Post

Yes, you CAN.

Here is couple thread for you to chew on:

My Blu-Ray Movie Burning Experiences...
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=815296

TsRemux: Transport Stream De/Re-muxer
http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=125447


I can author my MPEG-2 HDV or MPEG-4 AVCHD home videos on DVD 5/9 using TSRemux and play them on PS3.

Thank you for providing this cool application, fast and easy, most of the other softwares such as Pinnacle studio11, Ulead movie factory6, Roxio, Sony Vegas don't allow to burn to DVD-R's and the procedure takes hours because they render video, However using a DVD+RW PS3 couldn't read the video it detects it as AVCHD but gives an error after the black screen "The video cannot be played (8002994)" tryed DVD-R got 8002991 message, I even tried DVD+R DL got 8002994, I think the latest PS3 update added protection against authored DVD-R's.
post #29 of 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neo1965 View Post

I beg to differ. I have 35 BD-REs and 5 DVD/R disks that works on any player that supports AVCHD (Panasonic and PS3 were tested). Last year, I authored a 1GB BDMV on DVD-R that plays on panasonic and sony player and made the ISO available for people to download. I was hoping for people to tell me if it plays on their player.

From what I can tell, at least 5 people downloaded the ISO file that can be burnt onto any 8X speed DVD/R.

The disk was made from the 1080P Elephant Dreams VC-1 Optimal encode that microsoft was kind enough to distribute freely on their website. That video peaks at close to 50Mbps for 12 seconds.

Neo,

I downloaded it and burned it on 8x DVD+RW. Played perfectly on PS3.
post #30 of 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by eapleitez View Post

As far as I know, you can't do that with blu-ray. Another reason why HD DVD is more consumer friendly and the better format.

Yes you can. BTW ever heard of Nero? The famous burning software that comes with Blu-Ray authoring, have you heard of consumer level HD DVD authoring programs?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: HDTV Software Media Discussion
AVS › AVS Forum › Blu-ray & HD DVD › HDTV Software Media Discussion › Authoring Blue-Ray on regular DVD-R DL