or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Blu-ray & HD DVD › HDTV Software Media Discussion › Help with cataloging my movie collection!?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Help with cataloging my movie collection!?

post #1 of 46
Thread Starter 
Ya know...it used to be real easy! Back when I was a bachelor I had a black wire rack that had my entire DVD collection in alphabetical order, and aside from the neck krink from looking at the titles sideways, I could easily find what I had.

Fast forward to now. The wifey doesn't like the whole bachelor pad look, so my DVD collection is housed in 4 binders, my HD/BR are housed in a storage ottoman, and I have 200 mpeg movies on a 500G hardrive for my PS3, and now I am building a HD collection from Dish DVR.

I would like to build a virtual database that I can view on my TV, likely on my PS3. I know there is software out there for your PC, but I don't want to shove a laptop in someones face to show them a list of my movies, and I don't want to do a spreadsheet, as I would be constantly printing new copies all the time. I was thinking somthing like a JPEG with a picture of the movie and format, where its located etc....

My question that I pose....is there any easy way to do this. Is there any PC software that would stream to the PS3? Is there any database that I can edit quickly and input my info? Any help/ideas would be appreciated.

My goal is to be able to turn on the PS3 and open the file/folder and quickly scroll through a list of movies, then be able to select one and bring up a picture and location of the movie.

Thanks in advance!!
post #2 of 46
Try using DVDProfiler. It has almost all the info and you can probably add in comments.

Go here:
http://www.invelos.com/

It cost about 30 bucks with free upgrades.
post #3 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by farnlc View Post

I would like to build a virtual database that I can view on my TV, likely on my PS3. I know there is software out there for your PC

I've been looking for something like this myself, if you come across a free solution please post back.
post #4 of 46
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by loganhunter2002 View Post

Try using DVDProfiler. It has almost all the info and you can probably add in comments.

Go here:
http://www.invelos.com/

It cost about 30 bucks with free upgrades.

Very cool software, but I want somthing that I can view on my TV. At this time I don't have a PC hooked up to it. If this software let you save each title as a JPEG then it would be perfect! I didn't see that feature tho.....any others?
post #5 of 46
I'll second DVDProfiler. I've been using it for almost 5 years and it works great. The fee is one time only with free upgrades for the life of the product. The also offer a DVDProfiler Mobile version that can sync your database with a mobile device like a blackberry. That maybe something close to what you want. I have never used the mobile version so, I can't comment on how good it works. The main program is great though.
post #6 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by farnlc View Post

Very cool software, but I want somthing that I can view on my TV. At this time I don't have a PC hooked up to it.

Does your PS3 have an internet connection?
post #7 of 46
If any of those database programs can output into an HTML file, you can simply store the HTML on a memory stick and view it using the PS3's web browser.

Also just found this using google. It's an online DVD catalog. You can access this via your PS3 as well.

http://www.dvdspot.com/
post #8 of 46
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rambler358 View Post

Does your PS3 have an internet connection?

Yes, and it is networked. I was thinking I could stream the database to the PS3, but I figured the only thing that would stream would be a collection of jpegs that I could scroll through. I'd rather not have to view an online database because I find the web browser on the PS3 rather clunky.
post #9 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rambler358 View Post

Does your PS3 have an internet connection?

Can you install Windows on a PS3?
post #10 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by loganhunter2002 View Post

Can you install Windows on a PS3?

No, just linux.
post #11 of 46
The best program for cataloging is

Collectorz Movie Collector Pro

http://www.collectorz.com/movie/

post #12 of 46
If you're lucky enough to be running OS X, you could use Delicious Library.

It has the truly excellent feature of using your webcam as a barcode scanner to save you a ton of time. (no need to spend tons of money on a scanner)
post #13 of 46
Thread Starter 
So far the response has been great, but none of those softwares allow for a decent "save as" or any kind of PS3 interface.

I wouldn't mind adding a logo or text to a good movie poster or DVD cover. Are there any databases that have a vault of DVD covers I could easily right click on and save a decent JPEG of the movie cover?
post #14 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by BozsterHD View Post

The best program for cataloging is

Collectorz Movie Collector Pro

http://www.collectorz.com/movie/


That DVD Carousel that works in conjunction with this looks pretty neat.
post #15 of 46
Thanks for this thread, just what I needed.

Bob
post #16 of 46
Another option if you have a PC that's on all the time is to use a media server application like TVersity, and just create placeholder files in the shared folders that can be shared across the network. Rather tedious, but it will at least give you some sort of folder structuring that's viewable directly on your PS3.
post #17 of 46
Is it possible to stream VOB files to the 360 or the PS3?
post #18 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by Droid6 View Post

Is it possible to stream VOB files to the 360 or the PS3?

No. You'll have to rip and convert it to something the 360 or PS3 understands (AVC, MPEG2, WMV, etc.).
post #19 of 46
Another thumbs up for Movie Collector. You can dump it into a web page format and post it easily to the web and even the ultra crappy browser on the PS3 is pretty easy to use with it. If you want to get an idea of what it looks like click on my sig. That is a raw dump straight from Movie Collector to my domain.
post #20 of 46
delicious library all the way.
does everything that movie collector does plus more, and manages to not look like crap.
plus, delicious library catalogs movies, books, games and music in one application. collectorz totally screws you by making you buy a separate application for each type of media!
post #21 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by farnlc View Post

So far the response has been great, but none of those softwares allow for a decent "save as" or any kind of PS3 interface.

sure they do- export to HTML is what you're looking for.
put that on the ps3 HD and open it in the browser. done.
post #22 of 46
for those wanting a free program, have a look at http://www.antp.be/software/moviecatalog
post #23 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by tormond View Post

Another thumbs up for Movie Collector. You can dump it into a web page format and post it easily to the web and even the ultra crappy browser on the PS3 is pretty easy to use with it. If you want to get an idea of what it looks like click on my sig. That is a raw dump straight from Movie Collector to my domain.

+1

The greatest thing about Movie Collector is that you can make your own template. Btw, it pulls movie information from multiple sources for detailed info.

I did mine web export. It's very easy and you export as HTML, host it for cheap and you have your whole selection online too.

My Online Movie Catalog Pro
post #24 of 46
I like "DVD Pedia" which also accepts HD DVD, Bluray, and VHS, and has many customization options.
post #25 of 46
I use the free progam Libra to catalogue almost all of my media (movies, books, games, music). It has that feature with taking a picture of a barcode, but the greatest thing is that it links directly to Amazon to automatically download all necessary information.

Its got the feature you want:
Export your library to web pages, and upload them to your web host to share with friends & family. Your friends can now browse through your entire collection, and know if you have a title that they need.

Plus it allows you to track who borrowed stuff, and print off a catalog. Pretty cool software.

http://www.getlibra.com/
post #26 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by casop7131 View Post

for those wanting a free program, have a look at http://www.antp.be/software/moviecatalog

That looks pretty good. Thanks for the link
post #27 of 46
I use delicious Library. Intelliscanner is awesome too and lets you do electronics, books, and wine, groceries and anything you want!
post #28 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by magarwal1217 View Post

I use the free progam Libra to catalogue almost all of my media (movies, books, games, music). It has that feature with taking a picture of a barcode, but the greatest thing is that it links directly to Amazon to automatically download all necessary information.

Its got the feature you want:
Export your library to web pages, and upload them to your web host to share with friends & family. Your friends can now browse through your entire collection, and know if you have a title that they need.

Plus it allows you to track who borrowed stuff, and print off a catalog. Pretty cool software.

http://www.getlibra.com/

Thanks magarwal, that Libra looks pretty damn good. I'll have to give it a try.
post #29 of 46
You can upload your collection to the web using DVDProfiler as well. You could then use your PS3 browser to look at it. Here is my collection from DVDProfiler: http://www.invelos.com/dvdcollection.aspx/RollTide1017

EDIT: Here is what the above link looks like through my PS3 to my HDTV:
post #30 of 46
I use DVD Aficionado (DVDAF). It is comprehensive, online, and free.

http://www.dvdaf.com/

And does anyone know what happened to Guzzlefish?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: HDTV Software Media Discussion
AVS › AVS Forum › Blu-ray & HD DVD › HDTV Software Media Discussion › Help with cataloging my movie collection!?