or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Plasma Flat Panel Displays › All you 1080p fans beware! Hail to the 768p Plasma King Baby!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

All you 1080p fans beware! Hail to the 768p Plasma King Baby!

post #1 of 319
Thread Starter 
Just received my Feb 08 Home Theater issue with their 2008 HDTV Face off:

Scores in the following order (with category winners in bold) -
Build Quality, Value, Features, Performance, Ergonomics, Overall Rating


#7 Samsung HL-T6187S DLP-LED
LEDs are the future. It's not the future.
79, 84, 90, 75, 87, 81
Original MSRP: $2500

#6 Sharp LC-52D64U LCD
So much good, one bad.
89, 88, 88, 86, 88, 87
Original MSRP: $3299

#5 JVC LT-47X898 LCD
120 hertz to the rescue?
87, 87, 90, 87, 87, 87
Original MSRP: $3300

#4 Mitsubishi WD-57833 DLP
It's good to be in the middle.
88, 90, 90, 88, 87, 89
Original MSRP: $2500

#3 Sony KDS-60A3000 SXRD
Don't count RPTVs out yet.
87, 94, 94, 89, 92, 91
Original MSRP: $2200

#2 Panasonic TH-50PZ750 Plasma
So good, almost perfect.
92, 93, 88, 93, 90, 92
Original MSRP: $3500

#1 Pioneer PDP-5080HD Plasma
The new king.
95, 95, 92, 95, 90, 94
Value was rated at 95 for it's outdated $3,500 price...imagine it's value now at $2,000 - $2,500.
Original MSRP: $3500

Avg. Screen Size: 54", Avg. MSRP: $2,971

It's an excellent article, be sure to check it out.
post #2 of 319
Opens a soda and prepares for the flood!
post #3 of 319
Presumably the 5010FD 1080p display would have done no worse. IOW, I doubt being 1080p would have hurt it.
post #4 of 319
Thread Starter 
They were trying to keep all the sets reviewed in the same price range. Obviously, the 5010FD would be better... Check the review out at a bookstore. They also usually post to their website about a month after it's in the magazine.
post #5 of 319
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Petch View Post

Opens a soda and prepares for the flood!

For clarity's sake...the title I chose was just in fun. Besides, I need to practice my right to defend my recent purchase.
post #6 of 319
I agree as I JUST got mine tonight from BB.... All I have to say is SICK, O MY GOD. I almost got the Panny 50Pz700u, that would have been stupid. I just watched a few minute of Cars on PS3 on BluRay and it is SOOO real its insane. Now Les Vegas is on in HD, and its like I am in there, so insane, its 720P!!!! I am only 9 feet from it, I only see SDE at 3 feet.
post #7 of 319
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pan50 View Post

I agree as I JUST got mine tonight from BB.... All I have to say is SICK, O MY GOD. I almost got the Panny 50Pz700u, that would have been stupid. I just watched a few minute of Cars on PS3 on BluRay and it is SOOO real its insane. Now Les Vegas is on in HD, and its like I am in there, so insane, its 720P!!!! I am only 9 feet from it, I only see SDE at 3 feet.

Congrats! Keep your receipt ready for a price match because Best Buy is discounting it real nicely come Sunday. You won't miss it, it'll be on the front page of their flyer but might mistakenly be called an LCD tv...lol.
post #8 of 319
Quote:
Originally Posted by PontifexMaximus View Post

For clarity's sake...the title I chose was just in fun. Besides, I need to practice my right to defend my recent purchase.

No Worries as a mostly lurker around here, I can just imagine the chagrin when people see the title. Enjoy the set I wish I had one coming, instead I have twin boys.
post #9 of 319
Is this issue online? If so, link please.
post #10 of 319
The 5080HD is remarkable display!

Chris
post #11 of 319
Do these great tidings apply to the 4280 as well?
Or is the 5080 a different beast?
thx
post #12 of 319
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pan50 View Post

I agree as I JUST got mine tonight from BB.... All I have to say is SICK, O MY GOD. I almost got the Panny 50Pz700u, that would have been stupid. I just watched a few minute of Cars on PS3 on BluRay and it is SOOO real its insane. Now Les Vegas is on in HD, and its like I am in there, so insane, its 720P!!!! I am only 9 feet from it, I only see SDE at 3 feet.

Wish I only saw it at 3 feet, everytime I go to compare tv's the pio black instantly draws me to it then I see the sde from quite a bit further from 3 feet and it would be noticeable from where I would be viewing from(at least part time, stupid small room).
post #13 of 319
seriously though, the sharp 64u and jvc?
post #14 of 319
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by lecxe View Post

Is this issue online? If so, link please.

Not yet. They usually delay it a month before giving it away online.
http://www.hometheatermag.com/
post #15 of 319
Quote:
Originally Posted by notext View Post

seriously though, the sharp 64u and jvc?

The D64 is the budget level panel made in Mexico - so they compare the budget LCD panel versus the Kuro and I see no XBR4, or 71 series Samsung. How did they decide which to compare because it appears they chose the budget level LCD's for a face off.
post #16 of 319
It was apparently like the BCS championship...

Put the SEC up against some budget conferences - like the Big 10
post #17 of 319
Quote:
Originally Posted by PontifexMaximus View Post

Congrats! Keep your receipt ready for a price match because Best Buy is discounting it real nicely come Sunday. You won't miss it, it'll be on the front page of their flyer but might mistakenly be called an LCD tv...lol.

how nicely? they're pretty high on it to begin with
post #18 of 319
i just had my friend over that has had both first gen bravia x series here in NZ, i think xbr3, and the 2nd gen x which has the motionflow 24p etc. he was checking out my new pioneer 508XG and yeah haha he was sort of speechless.

he is very into HDTV, but doesn't know much about pioneer and is more a samsung/sony fanboy. i told him it was a 1080p panel from the start. showed him it 1080p in the display menu.

then played some 1080p trailers, some scenes from TMNT and MI3 on bluray that we had used in display stores on some samsung lcds. he kept saying how sharp it was, how awesome the blacks were and that u didnt notice the black bars. we had it in a complete dark room with only the tv on. then i told him its only had about 10 hours use so im just breaking it in and the slight noise should go, although TMNT had no noise at all.

he thought the response was awesome, and kept saying how good it was.

should have seen his reaction when i told him it's a 720p panel but accepts 1080p haha. he thought i was talking ****, and i had to get online and show him the specs to prove its not 1080p.

so really this set is awesome and im glad i went with it.
post #19 of 319
Quote:
Originally Posted by Industrialstr View Post

It was apparently like the BCS championship...

Put the SEC up against some budget conferences - like the Big 10

No doubt...Over all these years, really, you take the teams out West and put them against the Big 10 or any others and there would actually be some competitive football and a real sense of who the actual #1 is every year. Instead, schedules have been lined up for teams that are aweful that can somehow get into the final showdown.

Too bad the Oregon QB got taken out or there would not have been anything to consider.

But to the point, hearing JVC and Mitsubishi in the list against the Kuro...rediculous.

Doesn't Sharp make a set that is $3500 and under that is not a 64U bandwidth burden?
post #20 of 319
Not suprised to see Samsung at the bottom of that list at all.
post #21 of 319
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReddyKilowatt View Post

Not suprised to see Samsung at the bottom of that list at all.

Yeah, it's a DLP, not plasma. Fair comparison I'm shocked to see Panasonic near the top of any list. Maybe this is Stevie Wonder's list?
post #22 of 319
Just got the paper with all next weeks ads. Holy KURO!!!
post #23 of 319
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReddyKilowatt View Post

Not suprised to see Samsung at the bottom of that list at all.

Samsung makes a great unit. Only company that carries a full line of Plasma, LCD, and Rear Projection displays. Only company using an LED Light Engine in mass quantities on there premier lines. Only company with wireless technoligy in they plama displays. Samsung is a company to "watch", they are on the move.
post #24 of 319
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland Plasma View Post

Samsung makes a great unit. Only company that carries a full line of Plasma, LCD, and Rear Projection displays. Only company using an LED Light Engine in mass quantities on there premier lines. Only company with wireless technoligy in they plama displays. Samsung is a company to "watch", they are on the move.

They are the largest flat panel producer in the world and no one invests more in plasma or flat panel R&D.
post #25 of 319
Quote:
Originally Posted by omeletpants View Post

They are the largest flat panel producer in the world and no one invests more in plasma or flat panel R&D.

yet their r&d team needs to receive pioneers r&d team memo... Maybe if pioneer gives some semi-valuable, but not anything in the ECC model, information. Samsung could give them a little R&D bonus!
post #26 of 319
Quote:
Originally Posted by notext View Post

Wish I only saw it at 3 feet, everytime I go to compare tv's the pio black instantly draws me to it then I see the sde from quite a bit further from 3 feet and it would be noticeable from where I would be viewing from(at least part time, stupid small room).

Then get the smaller 4280 screen.
post #27 of 319
Quote:
Originally Posted by westa6969 View Post

The D64 is the budget level panel made in Mexico - so they compare the budget LCD panel versus the Kuro and I see no XBR4, or 71 series Samsung. How did they decide which to compare because it appears they chose the budget level LCD's for a face off.

I believe they chose to compare TV's in the same market field. Heck, the
5080 is a budget Kuro too, remember. Also, Sharp does make great TV's
and they are still very popular, so it is indeed a fair comparison. If they
brought in the 71 or XBR4, then they might as well compare them to elites
or whatever. (although the PZ750 isn't fair in a sense as it was Panny's
top tier product). You do have a point about Samsung or Sony. One of
them should have been chosen... I mean c'mon, JVC LCD??
post #28 of 319
Quote:
Originally Posted by omeletpants View Post

Yeah, it's a DLP, not plasma. Fair comparison I'm shocked to see Panasonic near the top of any list. Maybe this is Stevie Wonder's list?

This guy- my god, what did Panasonic do to you? You go out of your way to post garbage and nonsense everywhere. When people call you out in the threads you disappear.
post #29 of 319
Quote:
Originally Posted by PontifexMaximus View Post

Obviously, the 5010FD would be better...

So you agree the 1080p display would be better then? I thought the 5080 was King.
post #30 of 319
Quote:
Originally Posted by PontifexMaximus View Post

For clarity's sake...the title I chose was just in fun. Besides, I need to practice my right to defend my recent purchase.

Why do you feel the need to defend it. Who attacked you, because of your recent purchase?

Sounds like you are feeling somewhat insecure about it, if you had to start a thread, to practice against something that should be of no importance, if you are pleased with your purchase.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Plasma Flat Panel Displays
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Plasma Flat Panel Displays › All you 1080p fans beware! Hail to the 768p Plasma King Baby!