or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Blu-ray & HD DVD › Blu-ray Software › Blockbuster BD rental discussion thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Blockbuster BD rental discussion thread - Page 100

post #2971 of 4010
I don't watch that much TV or many movies, so I was considering a 1-disc plan from either BB or NF. There is a physical blockbuster store near me within a 10 minute walk that is very busy. Because of the store, I was thinking about getting a 1-disc plan from BB. But I am reconsidering after reading this thread.

I'm mainly interested in a good catalog, and as much Blu ray I can get my hands on. New releases are not as important to me as I don't mind waiting a couple of months before I request them.

So I guess i'll be going with Netflix, unless anyone has something to offer.
post #2972 of 4010
Quote:
Originally Posted by keenan View Post

Flippers are not even within Blu-ray or DVD spec are they? What about compatibility issues?

Here is an article from two years ago when BD/DVD flippers were first released with The Bourne Identity and The Bourne Supremacy..

http://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=4040
post #2973 of 4010
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post

Here is an article from two years ago when BD/DVD flippers were first released with The Bourne Identity and The Bourne Supremacy..

http://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=4040

Thanks, I guess I was thinking of HD-DVD which had some issues with flippers.
post #2974 of 4010
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbeefxy1 View Post

There is a physical blockbuster store near me within a 10 minute walk that is very busy. Because of the store, I was thinking about getting a 1-disc plan from BB. But I am reconsidering after reading this thread.

I always recommend that you try something for yourself. If the in store exchange appeals to you then give it a try. It is easy to stop your plan if you do not like it, just be aware of your billing cycle.

FWIW, I had Netflix for several years and now have been with Blockbuster for the last three years. I switched because they were cheaper than Netflix for Blu-ray disc. I do not have the in store exchange option.
post #2975 of 4010
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbeefxy1 View Post

I don't watch that much TV or many movies, so I was considering a 1-disc plan from either BB or NF. There is a physical blockbuster store near me within a 10 minute walk that is very busy. Because of the store, I was thinking about getting a 1-disc plan from BB. But I am reconsidering after reading this thread.

I'm mainly interested in a good catalog, and as much Blu ray I can get my hands on. New releases are not as important to me as I don't mind waiting a couple of months before I request them.

So I guess i'll be going with Netflix, unless anyone has something to offer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wendell R. Breland View Post

I always recommend that you try something for yourself. If the in store exchange appeals to you then give it a try. It is easy to stop your plan if you do not like it, just be aware of your billing cycle.

FWIW, I had Netflix for several years and now have been with Blockbuster for the last three years. I switched because they were cheaper than Netflix for Blu-ray disc. I do not have the in store exchange option.

I agree that the OP should try BB first. I was a Blockbuster subscriber for more than a year and was reasonably happy with it, primarily because a BB store was located only three minutes away from me. When the store closed, though, I cancelled my subscription because BB's mailorder selections were too spotty and its service too slow. If I were in the OP's position and had a BB store nearby, as I did until recently, I would never have cancelled. It seems to me that those unlimited in store exchanges are valuable when you are as close as the OP is to a BB store.

I had Netflix for a couple of years before I moved to BB because of NF's price increase. When I subscribed to NF I got very little use out of its then free streaming feature, so I have decided that I don't want to go back. I am now relying on my own BD library, movie channels to which I subscribe, primarily EPIX and Encore, and the occasional Redbox rental to satisfy my viewing needs. So far, this plan has been working reasonably well.
post #2976 of 4010
I picked up the Blu-ray of Breaking Dawn Part 1 at the Blockbuster store and it has no HD audio.

Can someone else confirm?
post #2977 of 4010
Quote:
Originally Posted by mifronte View Post

I picked up the Blu-ray of Breaking Dawn Part 1 at the Blockbuster store and it has no HD audio.

Can someone else confirm?

Blu-ray Stats shows this title as having DTS HD-MA 7.1
post #2978 of 4010
We miss blockbuster here in Canada was the last of the rental stores here
post #2979 of 4010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wendell R. Breland View Post

Blu-ray Stats shows this title as having DTS HD-MA 7.1

Looked like the rental version only contains the theatrical version and no HD audio.
post #2980 of 4010
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwsat View Post

I agree that the OP should try BB first.

I will give it a try. I was concerned, after reading this thread, that Netflix had a better overall catalog compared to BB for Blu-ray. I don't mind waiting for new releases.
post #2981 of 4010
Well, I was informed today that my local store will indeed be closing. I went to exchange for another rental on my in-store movie pass. Apparently, when they went to check in my movie I had a late fee on my account. I told them no, that I am on the combo pass where I get 1 at a time with no due dates/no late fees and unlimited rental exchanges. My auto renewal was wet to renew just the other day and I never cancelled it actually, but they broke the news to me that the last day to rent will be on March 4th and that the company blocked all auto renewals that were set to renew on Feb 5th onward since anyone who would be set to renew on that day going forward would not be able to use a full month of the service. So, I guess this is the end of an era. I can't see Blockbuster operating their remaining stores too much longer. The store I go to is always busy and have been told its one of the busier stores in the region. I guess the reason for closing the store relates to the lease. The lease is up and Dish/Blockbuster and the landlord could not come to terms. I think this is getting a little old with the whole blaming it on the landlord. This has been the reason given to me for closing all the stores that I have rented at. It is sort of amazing that the town I live in has 150,000 people living in it and there are no video stores left.


Quote:
Originally Posted by mifronte View Post

I picked up the Blu-ray of Breaking Dawn Part 1 at the Blockbuster store and it has no HD audio.

Can someone else confirm?

I can confirm. It looks like Summit pulled another stunt just as they did when they released Red on Blu-ray last year. Red only contained a lossy Dolby Digital 5.1 track and no option for HD audio. I wonder if this will change now seeing as Lionsgate bought Summit. I see this as a cheap shot at consumers. Some of us like to rent the movie first and if we like it we may make a purchase based on many factors such as if we like the movie, like the video, like the audio, or a combination of 2 or more of those things.. I won't do this with Breaking Dawn as I am not a fan of the Twilight series, but I have done this in the past with other titles.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbeefxy1 View Post

I will give it a try. I was concerned, after reading this thread, that Netflix had a better overall catalog compared to BB for Blu-ray. I don't mind waiting for new releases.

You can also do the in-store 1 out at a time combo pass. You get 1 movie or 1 game at a time. No due dates and no late fees. You get unlimited exchanges with that 1 rental as well.
post #2982 of 4010
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ Matt View Post

You can also do the in-store 1 out at a time combo pass. You get 1 movie or 1 game at a time. No due dates and no late fees. You get unlimited exchanges with that 1 rental as well.

Thanks for letting me know about the Combo Pass. I didn't even know about it. I just called my BB, and they said the combo pass is around $15 pre-tax. Isn't Total Access 1 Disc cheaper? It has unlimited in-store exchanges and is $10 pre-tax. Am I missing something?
post #2983 of 4010
Quote:
Originally Posted by mifronte View Post

I picked up the Blu-ray of Breaking Dawn Part 1 at the Blockbuster store and it has no HD audio.

Can someone else confirm?

Yes it has no HD audio track. Highly disappointed. Hopefully this not a trend. Otherwise I will be canceling my Netflix subscription.
post #2984 of 4010
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ Matt View Post

The store I go to is always busy and have been told its one of the busier stores in the region. I guess the reason for closing the store relates to the lease. The lease is up and Dish/Blockbuster and the landlord could not come to terms. I think this is getting a little old with the whole blaming it on the landlord. This has been the reason given to me for closing all the stores that I have rented at. It is sort of amazing that the town I live in has 150,000 people living in it and there are no video stores left.

I'm starting to wonder what's up with these landlords. Is there some sort of waiting list to get into these plazas? Are they really going to fill a footprint as big as a Blockbuster Store that easily? Those stores are way too big for your average nail salon and they're way too small for the likes of Walmart.

Further, all of a sudden all these jokers want more rent money (enough more that the store decides to close, at any rate)? Something stinks here and I'm curious as to what the real deal is.

I'll be interested to see just how long it takes until something fills my former store - more to the point, how long it takes until the plaza sucks it up and lets a dollar store in there when they can't get anything else to fill it.
post #2985 of 4010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Horace Clark View Post

Yes it has no HD audio track. Highly disappointed. Hopefully this not a trend. Otherwise I will be canceling my Netflix subscription.

Isn't this a rental version? Won't all the rental places have this version? Not just Netflix?
post #2986 of 4010
Quote:
Originally Posted by NetworkTV View Post

I'm starting to wonder what's up with these landlords.

It's not the landlords. It's BB's canned excuse for closing the the stores. Every store that is closing is using that excuse. Corporate probably sent a memo to all stores to use that excuse. This isn't some mass conspiracy by landlords across the nation to stick it to BB. This is just the end of BB but for some reason Dish doesn't want to come out and say it.
post #2987 of 4010
Quote:
Originally Posted by shimonmor View Post

It's not the landlords. It's BB's canned excuse for closing the the stores. Every store that is closing is using that excuse. Corporate probably sent a memo to all stores to use that excuse. This isn't some mass conspiracy by landlords across the nation to stick it to BB. This is just the end of BB but for some reason Dish doesn't want to come out and say it.

From what I heard they want to get a lower lease price and if they can't get it, they close the store. That is perfectly understandable from a business perspective. There was a reason Blockbuster originally went into bankruptcy. And having too many Brick and Mortar stores with high leases was probably one of the factors.
post #2988 of 4010
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post

From what I heard they want to get a lower lease price and if they can't get it, they close the store. That is perfectly understandable from a business perspective. There was a reason Blockbuster originally went into bankruptcy. And having too many Brick and Mortar stores with high leases was probably one of the factors.

Right! It's their crappy business model that is the problem. Not a bunch of "evil landlords". It's just an excuse. The store near me is closing and when I asked an employee a couple of months ago why it's closing, she said "the landlord is raising the rent on us and we can't afford it." That statement is a falsehood, in my opinion. I don't know the actual particulars of the lease, but I'm sure if the store was offered the same lease they always had or even one for less, the store would still close. BB is just using the "evil landlord" excuse so as to not appear to be the bad guy. And most BB customers believe it (who doesn't believe all landlords are evil?).
post #2989 of 4010
IMO, most B&M video rental stores are doomed. There is no way a large footprint store (read high cost) can compete against a small footprint kiosk. Redbox has purchased Blockbuster Express, with that purchase brings their total to ≈ 38,000 units. Which means they will most likely steamroller more B&Ms.
post #2990 of 4010
Quote:
Originally Posted by shimonmor View Post

It's their crappy business model that is the problem.

Charlie said from the get go that if a store was not profitable it would be closed. Blockbuster has done something recently they have not done in a long time, they turned a profit.
post #2991 of 4010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Horace Clark View Post

Yes it has no HD audio track. Highly disappointed. Hopefully this not a trend. Otherwise I will be canceling my Netflix subscription.

That's the studio, Summit Entertainment, sticking it to renters. They've done it before - if it's like "Red", they stick the rental version with movie only on a BD25, with no room for lossless audio or any extras. The retail version gets a BD50 with lossless audio and extra features. Warner is the only other studio giving the middle finger to renters. While I don't think they've skimped on lossless audio - yet - they skimp on extra features, and in the case of The Town, the rental BD25 only had the theatrical version while the retail BD50 had theatrical + extended. But no reason to cancel Netflix of BB, the kiosks and all rental outlets only get the gimped rental version from Summit & WB, other studios like Sony, Paramount & Universal give us the full version for rental. So, I just "skimp" on putting releases from Summit & WB in my rental Q.
post #2992 of 4010
Quote:
Originally Posted by CochiseGuy View Post

the kiosks and all rental outlets only get the gimped rental version from Summit & WB

IIRC, the Warner contracts with Redbox and Blockbuster have expired. Both Redbox and Blockbuster have stated they will procure Warner titles from other outlets. This was a result of Warner extending the rental outlet window to 56 days. Netflix has agreed to the 56 day rental window.
post #2993 of 4010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wendell R. Breland View Post

IIRC, the Warner contracts with Redbox and Blockbuster have expired. Both Redbox and Blockbuster have stated they will procure Warner titles from other outlets. This was a result of Warner extending the rental outlet window to 56 days. Netflix has agreed to the 56 day rental window.

Good point, I'd forgotten that I'd read that Rebox wasn't going along - for now - with Warner's 56 day rental window and would purchase them at retail, so the Warner BDs won't be the gimped rental versions at Redbox. Not sure about Blockbuster & Warner though. I canceled Blockbuster and went back to Netflix at the end of the year because of the unavailability and very long wait for so many titles. But they still have my Q active, and in searching for J. Edgar from WB which releases in retail Feb. 21 and Blockbuster doesn't even have a listing for it. It's in my Netflix Q with release date "unknown", because it won't release until April for rental. And Summit doesn't impose a rental delay, so all rental outlets will have the same rental version of Breaking Dawn Pt. 1, which is a gimped BD25 movie only with no lossless audio. But Summit was recently acquired by Lionsgate which doesn't do special gimped rental versions, so maybe Summit will stop treating renters like bottom feeders.
post #2994 of 4010
Quote:
Originally Posted by shimonmor View Post

Right! It's their crappy business model that is the problem. Not a bunch of "evil landlords". It's just an excuse. The store near me is closing and when I asked an employee a couple of months ago why it's closing, she said "the landlord is raising the rent on us and we can't afford it." That statement is a falsehood, in my opinion. I don't know the actual particulars of the lease, but I'm sure if the store was offered the same lease they always had or even one for less, the store would still close. BB is just using the "evil landlord" excuse so as to not appear to be the bad guy. And most BB customers believe it (who doesn't believe all landlords are evil?).

Of course landlord conspiracy theories are not even worth considering. But on the other hand, saying that BB is simply blowing smoke on all their store closures by trying to transfer blame is just as ridiculous a conspiracy theory.


ron
post #2995 of 4010
Quote:
Originally Posted by CochiseGuy View Post

But they still have my Q active, and in searching for J. Edgar from WB which releases in retail Feb. 21 and Blockbuster doesn't even have a listing for it. It's in my Netflix Q with release date "unknown", because it won't release until April for rental.

It's here: http://www.blockbuster.com/browse/ca...Details/506357

Pretty sad, but I had to do a Google search to find it.

It's releasing 2/21.
post #2996 of 4010
I'm not opposed to the kiosks in principle, but I don't use them anymore.

1. their selection is way too limited.

2. I don't like having to stand outside, often when cold and dark, to conduct business.

3. it doesn't feel particularly safe.

4. it's surprisingly time consuming: waiting for even a few people ahead of you while you do nothing in line but wait is no fun.

5. making a selection while others are behind you in line is not particularly fun.

6. the disks are almost always trashed, from extremely heavy use (daily turnover).

Kiosks are not going to put b&m's out of business. The inconveniences and limitations are much too severe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wendell R. Breland View Post

IMO, most B&M video rental stores are doomed. There is no way a large footprint store (read high cost) can compete against a small footprint kiosk. Redbox has purchased Blockbuster Express, with that purchase brings their total to ≈ 38,000 units. Which means they will most likely steamroller more B&Ms.
post #2997 of 4010
Quote:
Originally Posted by mifronte View Post

I picked up the Blu-ray of Breaking Dawn Part 1 at the Blockbuster store and it has no HD audio.

Can someone else confirm?

Not only does it only have Dolby Digital 5.1 track with no HD audio, but although the picture looks good, it looks more like DVD upsampled to 1080 24p on my 128" wide cinemascope screen with Sim2 C3X 1080 projector.

Good movie - still enjoyed it - but still disappointing. The back jacket says audio in Dolby Digital, too.

Sort of wonder if Blockbuster might be getting some counterfeit Blu Rays of this?
post #2998 of 4010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Bruzonsky View Post

Not only does it only have Dolby Digital 5.1 track with no HD audio, but although the picture looks good, it looks more like DVD upsampled to 1080 24p on my 128" wide cinemascope screen with Sim2 C3X 1080 projector.

Good movie - still enjoyed it - but still disappointing. The back jacket says audio in Dolby Digital, too.

Sort of wonder if Blockbuster might be getting some counterfeit Blu Rays of this?

My Blockbuster store had retail versions (with HD audio and extras) for sale and the rental version (DD 5.1 and no extras) for rent.
post #2999 of 4010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Bruzonsky View Post

Not only does it only have Dolby Digital 5.1 track with no HD audio, but although the picture looks good, it looks more like DVD upsampled to 1080 24p on my 128" wide cinemascope screen with Sim2 C3X 1080 projector.

Good movie - still enjoyed it - but still disappointing. The back jacket says audio in Dolby Digital, too.

Sort of wonder if Blockbuster might be getting some counterfeit Blu Rays of this?

I did not bothered to watch the movie when I realized there were no HD audio tracks. It is a good thing that I am not a big Twilight (the movie, never read the book) fan.
post #3000 of 4010
Quote:
Originally Posted by audio/videoman View Post

...
Kiosks are not going to put b&m's out of business. The inconveniences and limitations are much too severe.

No, the brick and mortars are doing a fine job themselves. The latest fiasco is selling and allowing DISH subscribers access to all these movie passes where you have unlimited time to return a movie. It just makes the wait time for new releases extremely long. Recently, the new releases are impossible to get via online or the stores.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Blu-ray Software
AVS › AVS Forum › Blu-ray & HD DVD › Blu-ray Software › Blockbuster BD rental discussion thread