or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Blu-ray & HD DVD › Blu-ray Software › Blockbuster BD rental discussion thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Blockbuster BD rental discussion thread - Page 125

post #3721 of 4010
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhnjp1 View Post

I think I found all the missing inventory!

Today I went in a Blockbuster store that's having its shutting down sale. There was a big box of $1.99 Blu-Rays that had at least 500 discs still in the mailer sleeves. eek.gif Must be in-store exchanges that were never sent back. Wonder how many other stores have a box full of discs gathering dust? mad.gif

--Dan
Are you sure they are all Blu-ray's? The Blockbuster's that were closing last year had thousands of these discs in sleeves and only a handful of them were Blu-rays. It was 99% DVD and 1% Blu-ray if that. They were discs they had overstock on or discs that were no longer renting as much.
post #3722 of 4010
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhnjp1 View Post

I think I found all the missing inventory!

Today I went in a Blockbuster store that's having its shutting down sale. There was a big box of $1.99 Blu-Rays that had at least 500 discs still in the mailer sleeves. eek.gif Must be in-store exchanges that were never sent back. Wonder how many other stores have a box full of discs gathering dust? mad.gif

--Dan
This means the subscriber shouldn't have received a "disc received" notification.
When I return an online rental to a store, it is removed from my queue but I never get the "disc received" notification until the online distribution center actually receives it, which is about 1-2 days after I returned the disc to the store.
post #3723 of 4010
Quote:
Originally Posted by 42Plasmaman View Post

This means the subscriber shouldn't have received a "disc received" notification.
When I return an online rental to a store, it is removed from my queue but I never get the "disc received" notification until the online distribution center actually receives it, which is about 1-2 days after I returned the disc to the store.
Yes. Exchanged discs vanishing happened to me 3-4 times when we still had a local store. Most turned up a few weeks or months later but one never did. Most people, like me, wouldn't care because it was scanned.

--Dan
post #3724 of 4010
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ Matt View Post

Are you sure they are all Blu-ray's? The Blockbuster's that were closing last year had thousands of these discs in sleeves and only a handful of them were Blu-rays. It was 99% DVD and 1% Blu-ray if that. They were discs they had overstock on or discs that were no longer renting as much.
All that I looked at were Blu-rays. I didn't look through the whole box, just randomly picked a few out. This box was separate from the dvds, of which they also had thousands.

--Dan
post #3725 of 4010
So Rise of the Guardians is now in the "not available" pit. To quote Frank Zappa, the torture never stops.
post #3726 of 4010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waboman View Post

So Rise of the Guardians is now in the "not available" pit. To quote Frank Zappa, the torture never stops.

My Netflix copy should be in my mailbox today. Blockbuster is only a third online disc rental choice for me now since I can't rely on them to send a title in a timely manner.
post #3727 of 4010
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post

My Netflix copy should be in my mailbox today. Blockbuster is only a third online disc rental choice for me now since I can't rely on them to send a title in a timely manner.

I have the $7.99 streaming only package with Netflix. I may need to up it to include discs too.

Life Of Pi is number 1 in my rental queue. Thinking I'd get it this week. Lol. I didn't look close enough. It says "on order".

Edit: Just canceled my Blockbuster subscription.frown.gif And upped my Netflix account to include 2 discs out at a time.
Edited by Waboman - 3/12/13 at 3:43pm
post #3728 of 4010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waboman View Post

I have the $7.99 streaming only package with Netflix. I may need to up it to include discs too.

Life Of Pi is number 1 in my rental queue. Thinking I'd get it this week. Lol. I didn't look close enough. It says "on order".

Edit: Just canceled my Blockbuster subscription.frown.gif And upped my Netflix account to include 2 discs out at a time.








Ian
post #3729 of 4010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waboman View Post

So Rise of the Guardians is now in the "not available" pit. To quote Frank Zappa, the torture never stops.

Switched to netflix a couple of weeks ago. Since then, I have been sent: Bourne Legacy (in my queue for 3 months with BB), SkyFall and Rise of the Guardians.

So far, its a no brainer. However, I don't want too many people to switch to netflix from BB, as that might bring down netflix service.
post #3730 of 4010

Life of Pi changed status from "On Order", I'm being sent a copy today.

post #3731 of 4010
Quote:
Originally Posted by iamian View Post

Life of Pi changed status from "On Order", I'm being sent a copy today.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mailiang View Post






Ian
.
post #3732 of 4010
^^^

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamian View Post

Life of Pi changed status from "On Order", I'm being sent a copy today.








Ian wink.gif
post #3733 of 4010
Quote:
Originally Posted by iamian View Post

Life of Pi changed status from "On Order", I'm being sent a copy today.
So did you actually ever get it?

"It's not the taking of the reservation that's important - it's the keeping of it..."
post #3734 of 4010
Originally Posted by NetworkTV View Post
So did you actually ever get it?

"It's not the taking of the reservation that's important - it's the keeping of it..."

 

Yeah, got it Thursday, watched it yesterday, but wasn't too moved by it. May have to re-watch in a different frame of mind.

post #3735 of 4010
does Blockbuster or Netflix have any plans on adding 3D Blu-ray movies to their inventory?
post #3736 of 4010
Quote:
Originally Posted by TitusTroy View Post

does Blockbuster or Netflix have any plans on adding 3D Blu-ray movies to their inventory?

You can always call BB and ask, but with the problems they are having with their current inventory, all I can say is, good luck with that. wink.gif Netflix is offering 3D titles, for streaming only and you would need to be using an ISP that offers their Open Connect programing along with a compatible streaming device.



Ian
Edited by mailiang - 3/20/13 at 3:37pm
post #3737 of 4010
Quote:
Originally Posted by TitusTroy View Post

does Blockbuster or Netflix have any plans on adding 3D Blu-ray movies to their inventory?
Yes but selection is limited.
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1384513/looks-like-blockbuster-added-a-bunch-of-3d-movies


I'd stay away fom Netflix 3d streaming unless you like lots of banding and macro blocking.

Netflix streaming bandwidth is limited by them, not your ISP.
It's too bad because their HD streaming is horrible compared to Amazon Prime streaming since Amazon takes advantage of your ISP bandwidth.
post #3738 of 4010
Quote:
Originally Posted by 42Plasmaman View Post

Yes but selection is limited.
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1384513/looks-like-blockbuster-added-a-bunch-of-3d-movies


I'd stay away fom Netflix 3d streaming unless you like lots of banding and macro blocking.

Netflix streaming bandwidth is limited by them, not your ISP.
It's too bad because their HD streaming is horrible compared to Amazon Prime streaming since Amazon takes advantage of your ISP bandwidth.

I've watched several of the Netflix 3D streaming titles. I never noticed any banding or Macro Blocking issues on my 82" DLP. It surprisingly looked very good.
post #3739 of 4010
Quote:
Originally Posted by 42Plasmaman View Post

Yes but selection is limited.
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1384513/looks-like-blockbuster-added-a-bunch-of-3d-movies

interesting...I wonder if they added anything beyond those listed in that thread...especially on newer titles...would like to rent Life of Pi, Hobbit etc in 3D
post #3740 of 4010
Quote:
Originally Posted by 42Plasmaman View Post

Yes but selection is limited.
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1384513/looks-like-blockbuster-added-a-bunch-of-3d-movies


I'd stay away fom Netflix 3d streaming unless you like lots of banding and macro blocking.

Netflix streaming bandwidth is limited by them, not your ISP.
It's too bad because their HD streaming is horrible compared to Amazon Prime streaming since Amazon takes advantage of your ISP bandwidth.







Seriously?



Ian
post #3741 of 4010
Quote:
Originally Posted by mailiang View Post




Seriously?



Ian
On screens 42" or less, the artifacts/macroblocking/banding is not as noticible but it's there.
On my 60" or 120" screen, I can't even tolerate Netflix HD or 3D streaming.
The Netflix HD on my 120" looks like DVD/SD PQ.
I can pull up the same title on Netflix & Amazon streaming and Amazon looks HD on my 120".
Netflix need to increase their HD bandwidth output.


On another note, Block Buster has pissed me off this week with the Hobbit "on order."mad.gif
I didn't want to buy it since you know there will be an extended version when all 3 films are done then released.

I'm also fed up with Netflix with new release deliveries.
Neflix streaming also has nothing to benefint from since Amazon Prime esstenially has the same titles/films and better HD output/PQ.


I think it's time to put my BB, Netflix by mail and Netflix streaming all on hold and use Amazon Prime and Redbox for a while.
That'll save me about $35 a month to buy a blu-ray or 2 if needed when Redbox doesn't have it in stock.

I fear if/when BB goes down, Netflix service will be even worse than now and they won't care.
I mean, where else are people going to get their blu-ray rentals delivered to their door.
post #3742 of 4010
Quote:
Originally Posted by 42Plasmaman View Post

On screens 42" or less, the artifacts/macroblocking/banding is not as noticible but it's there.
On my 60" or 120" screen, I can't even tolerate Netflix HD or 3D streaming.
The Netflix HD on my 120" looks like DVD/SD PQ.
I can pull up the same title on Netflix & Amazon streaming and Amazon looks HD on my 120".
Netflix need to increase their HD bandwidth output.


On another note, Block Buster has pissed me off this week with the Hobbit "on order."mad.gif
I didn't want to buy it since you know there will be an extended version when all 3 films are done then released.

I'm also fed up with Netflix with new release deliveries.
Neflix streaming also has nothing to benefint from since Amazon Prime esstenially has the same titles/films and better HD output/PQ.


I think it's time to put my BB, Netflix by mail and Netflix streaming all on hold and use Amazon Prime and Redbox for a while.
That'll save me about $35 a month to buy a blu-ray or 2 if needed when Redbox doesn't have it in stock.

I fear if/when BB goes down, Netflix service will be even worse than now and they won't care.
I mean, where else are people going to get their blu-ray rentals delivered to their door.


I don't know who your ISP is, but I have Optimum which uses Netflix Open Connect, and the HD is about as close to Blu-Ray pq as you will ever get, including what I have seen from Vudu. I'm sorry to hear you're having problems with your rentals. Good luck with Amazon.


Ian
post #3743 of 4010
Quote:
Originally Posted by mailiang View Post

I don't know who your ISP is, but I have Optimum which uses Netflix Open Connect, and the HD is about as close to Blu-Ray pq as you will ever get, including what I have seen from Vudu. I'm sorry to hear you're having problems with your rentals. Good luck with Amazon.


Ian

I can't agree about NF being close to VuDu or especially BD. Even on a 47" set, I can see issues with vid "noise" and other artifacts. Having said that, NF is surprisingly good and waaaay better than Amazon (based on using Amazon twice.) Amazon is just 720p and looks it...not to mention the two films I saw (SOLOMON KANE being one of them) weren't even in 5.1! I'll probably never use Amazon again. As for 42plasmaman's issue regarding BB having THE HOBBIT "On Order"...that might be because it's a Warners title. Warners was the instigator of the delayed rental release policy. Netflix won't even have it till the middle of April. So it's not strange that BB has it "On Order." Actually, it's possible that BB will have it before NF (as was the case with SKYFALL) by purchasing copies at retail to send out...which they sometimes do. For many titles, one has to blame the studios more than the providers.
post #3744 of 4010
Quote:
Originally Posted by cinema13 View Post

As for 42plasmaman's issue regarding BB having THE HOBBIT "On Order"...that might be because it's a Warners title. Warners was the instigator of the delayed rental release policy. Netflix won't even have it till the middle of April. So it's not strange that BB has it "On Order." Actually, it's possible that BB will have it before NF (as was the case with SKYFALL) by purchasing copies at retail to send out...which they sometimes do. For many titles, one has to blame the studios more than the providers.
The Hobbit changed to Medium demand today but guess what, it wasn't shipped. mad.gif
post #3745 of 4010
Quote:
Originally Posted by cinema13 View Post

I can't agree about NF being close to VuDu or especially BD. Even on a 47" set, I can see issues with vid "noise" and other artifacts.
Agree. Netflix HD is no where near blu-ray or VuDu.
More like 480p+ in most cases.

Most people don't notice it but I can tell you once I've shown friends what macroblocking and banding looks like, they can no longer ignore it.

Netflix HD does look great on my 3.5" iPhone or 10" iPad though. tongue.gif
post #3746 of 4010
Quote:
Originally Posted by 42Plasmaman View Post

The Hobbit changed to Medium demand today but guess what, it wasn't shipped. mad.gif

Well, at least they have it...unlike NF. If you have 3D, you can always rent it ($7.99) from http://stores.3d-blurayrental.com/Categories.bok
Might have to wait a week, give or take, to get it (It IS a new release after all)...but you have to get in line behind me!
post #3747 of 4010
Quote:
Originally Posted by cinema13 View Post

I can't agree about NF being close to VuDu or especially BD. Even on a 47" set, I can see issues with vid "noise" and other artifacts..

If you read my post correctly, I said as close to BD as you will ever get. It's pq often beats many of my DTV programs, and in terms of detail, now with Open Connect, it has no problem competing with Vudu's HDX.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 42Plasmaman View Post

Agree. Netflix HD is no where near blu-ray or VuDu.
More like 480p+ in most cases.

Most people don't notice it but I can tell you once I've shown friends what macroblocking and banding looks like, they can no longer ignore it.

Netflix HD does look great on my 3.5" iPhone or 10" iPad though. tongue.gif


480p? Like I posted before, not sure who your ISP is, but with my Optimum service, it is far better then that.


http://www.avsforum.com/t/1089285/netflix-streaming-quality/2610#post_23081759


Ian wink.gif
Edited by mailiang - 3/21/13 at 3:39pm
post #3748 of 4010
Quote:
Originally Posted by mailiang View Post

If you read my post correctly, I said as close to BD as you will ever get.


Ian, I did understand the post. As I said, I don't find NF to be as good as Vudu (or CinemaNow, which I sometimes use as well) much less BD. To my eyes, VuDu and CN are both closer to (but not equal to) BD. I'd put NF behind those two, therefore not as close to BD as one can get...but far better than Amazon based on what I've seen. (Via FIOS, by the way, if it makes a difference). Again, I do occasionally find myself surprised at how good NF looks on some films...very good, in fact. I just find the other two cleaner, smoother, and with just as much (or more) detail. I'll continue to enjoy all three...but always opt for BD first, when possible. On that, we probably all agree!
post #3749 of 4010
Quote:
Originally Posted by 42Plasmaman View Post

The Hobbit changed to Medium demand today but guess what, it wasn't shipped. mad.gif

umm...'Medium Demand' does not mean 'Available'...not sure why you were expecting a new release to get immediately shipped to you
post #3750 of 4010
Quote:
Originally Posted by TitusTroy View Post

umm...'Medium Demand' does not mean 'Available'...not sure why you were expecting a new release to get immediately shipped to you
I usually get new releases shipped on Monday when the release date is Tuesday.
I've had the Hobbit in my queue for almost 2 weeks when it went from Unknown to 3/19/2013.
I then bumped it to the top of my queue.
I will say this is my first missed new release in about 6 months but BB should of been well aware that this title would be high demand and stocked accordingly.

I guess I could wait until it becomes a catalog release and get it from Netflix after the demand dies down.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Blu-ray Software
AVS › AVS Forum › Blu-ray & HD DVD › Blu-ray Software › Blockbuster BD rental discussion thread