or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Blu-ray & HD DVD › Blu-ray Software › Blockbuster BD rental discussion thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Blockbuster BD rental discussion thread - Page 18

post #511 of 4010
Quote:
Originally Posted by klac View Post

I think they have monthly in-store plans also. They kept trying to push it on me this summer. That might work for you.

I checked it out....it still comes to something like $5 a rental on the lower plans (with their limits).

Maybe if one sprung for the higher plans and rented 10-15 movies a month it would start to get cheaper.
post #512 of 4010
Silly question probably, but what's "WS" mean on a BD listing. I assumed wide screen, but that would only makes sense if it was for 2.35 films, and I looked up a few I know are, and no WS.
post #513 of 4010
Quote:
Originally Posted by fjames View Post

Silly question probably, but what's "WS" mean on a BD listing. I assumed wide screen, but that would only makes sense if it was for 2.35 films, and I looked up a few I know are, and no WS.

"widescreen" means anything wider than 1:33

1:66, 1:78, 1:85, 2:35, 2:40, etc are all widescreen. Older academy ratio movies such as Casablanca will not be in widescreen. but they can still be on Blu.
post #514 of 4010
Here's a new one. All movies returned; no new shipped for four days. Three out of the top four in my queue are "Available." I inquire, get this response:

"On your queue you only have 3 Available movies and we cannot guarantee that those are the ones next on shipment because it is also dependant on your nearest distribution center if they have physical copies for those movies."

I respond:

"Wouldn't it be nice, then, if the message of 'Available' were synced to the distribution point? What is the point of saying something is available or not with regard to the entire United States? 'It's kinda probably available...if in San Diego they have a copy...'"
post #515 of 4010
I'm new to online renting, so I'm still muddling my way through the BB site and how to setup my queue. I've stumbled into two (so far) BDs that aren't listed in the main BD list (Featured Lists->Blu-Ray) but that are available for rent on BD - Rocky and Close Encounters. Am I missing something in my setup? Am I blind? Is this a known issue? Is there a workaround to list ALL the BDs they have?
post #516 of 4010
Okay, I answered some of my questions with further research. I'm not blind, my setup is probably okay, this has to be a known issue, and I'm too stupid to figure a workaround other than loading a list of all BDs in another tab and start working through them. On a frigging dialup! I'm not happy. Somebody please make me happy by posting the secret link to just list everything they have?
post #517 of 4010
Oh! BB TA is short for BlockBuster Total Access. Might want to make your title clearer next time.

edit: ignore this post. It was made in a thread merged to this one.
post #518 of 4010
Well, now I am happy. I realize that this is a first time process that shouldn't have to be done again - populating the queue that is. I loaded a list of all BD reviews from my favorite review site, worked it from last to first and got half way though the list in little time.

So for first time users, I'd recommend my way of doing it. Load the BB main list (to keep up with new releases.) Put your queue in another tab and grab a list of reviews in a third tab. As you work your way through the reviews, just copy/paste the titles to the BB search box and add them when they show up. This assumes you've set BD as your priority so it adds the BD. If you want to know more about a movie, you're on a review site so just click it and have your review(s) in more tabs.

When you're done, go to your queue, refresh it, and all your added ones will be at the bottom, so you can easily check for non-BDs and manage your queue however you want from there.

What this accomplishes is you're working form a list that may not include every BD ever made, but the odds of BB having an older BD that a decent site hasn't reviewed is pretty slim. If you're newish to BD, it also reminds you of stuff you forgot about. And of course you've got a real info/review page available instead of the silly info BB gives you - I can't even find the studio from their site. This should only have to be done once, but since it seems important to have a well populated queue, and BB literally puts roadblocks in the way of that, and new users aren't yet familiar with the site's failings, my way should make life easier for other noobs.
post #519 of 4010
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by sellis16 View Post

Here's a new one. All movies returned; no new shipped for four days. Three out of the top four in my queue are "Available." I inquire, get this response:

"On your queue you only have 3 Available movies and we cannot guarantee that those are the ones next on shipment because it is also dependant on your nearest distribution center if they have physical copies for those movies."

I respond:

"Wouldn't it be nice, then, if the message of 'Available' were synced to the distribution point? What is the point of saying something is available or not with regard to the entire United States? 'It's kinda probably available...if in San Diego they have a copy...'"

I'm thinking that the person who responded just made that up. Otherwise, it would be a common issue.
post #520 of 4010
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by fjames View Post

Well, now I am happy. I realize that this is a first time process that shouldn't have to be done again - populating the queue that is. I loaded a list of all BD reviews from my favorite review site, worked it from last to first and got half way though the list in little time.

So for first time users, I'd recommend my way of doing it. Load the BB main list (to keep up with new releases.) Put your queue in another tab and grab a list of reviews in a third tab. As you work your way through the reviews, just copy/paste the titles to the BB search box and add them when they show up. This assumes you've set BD as your priority so it adds the BD. If you want to know more about a movie, you're on a review site so just click it and have your review(s) in more tabs.

When you're done, go to your queue, refresh it, and all your added ones will be at the bottom, so you can easily check for non-BDs and manage your queue however you want from there.

What this accomplishes is you're working form a list that may not include every BD ever made, but the odds of BB having an older BD that a decent site hasn't reviewed is pretty slim. If you're newish to BD, it also reminds you of stuff you forgot about. And of course you've got a real info/review page available instead of the silly info BB gives you - I can't even find the studio from their site. This should only have to be done once, but since it seems important to have a well populated queue, and BB literally puts roadblocks in the way of that, and new users aren't yet familiar with the site's failings, my way should make life easier for other noobs.

Did you notice that the first post in this thread has 'add' links for all upcoming releases and newly added BD's and the second post has a list of all BD's that Blockbuster is known to carry?
post #521 of 4010
Lol, no I never noticed that. When I read the first paragraph before joining, I didn't understand the significance. I don't do well with alphabetized lists, so I think I'll combine your add list with my review list. It's interesting that their site is so poor that your work here (or my workaround before realizing the depth of your work) is necessary to efficiently use the thing.
post #522 of 4010
Quote:
Originally Posted by laugsbach View Post

Again, I want to thank you for all the work you do with this thread. You're one of the reasons I have stayed with BB for so long. I recently tried the Netflix Free Trail and was very impressed with the shipping speed & turn around time of Blu-ray titles vs. BB. In addition, I put the 10 titles that I have been waiting the longest for or "unavailable" in my Netflix Queue and I received all of them. Also, I will save 2 bucks a month with Netflix, but I am more interested in the shipping speed and selection.

Now, I am going to switch and see if Netflix continues with this speedy service. I will post back after a couple of months how Netflix stacks up against BB. It seems funny that I'm changing with 2 BB stores within 2 miles of my home but when BB changed the in-store exchanges from per store to per month, I started to look at what Netflix can do.

The bottom line is that BB has charged me more and gave me less service/movies since I joined two years ago.

Larry


Quote:
Originally Posted by klac View Post

You're welcome. I can't disagree with you. BB started out being a significantly better deal and now it's a toss up for some. I'm sure some others would like to hear your comparison.

UPDATE:

My first impressions of Netflix after six weeks:

Turn around time with Blu-ray or DVD titles is three days. Drop off the title at the Post Office on a Monday & receive the next title on Wednesday.

With the three at a time plan, I watched 16 movies during the last 4 week period that included Thanksgiving & Christmas Holidays. I know I can improve on this number and reach 20 titles a month.

To receive new releases on Tuesday, you have to mail back a disc by Friday.

There are plenty of people complaining about the lack of service on the Netflix thread.

So far so good for me. The only questions will be if Netflix continues with their excellent turn around time and having enough Blu-ray titles for the demand.
post #523 of 4010
Quote:
Originally Posted by laugsbach View Post

With the three at a time plan, I watched 16 movies during the last 4 week period that included Thanksgiving & Christmas Holidays. I know I can improve on this number and reach 20 titles a month.

I hate to be the one to break it to you, but at this rate, you will get throttled in another month or two. I've found that getting a fresh set of movies each week is about the best you can do reliably. Any more than that, movies will inexplicably take an extra 2 days before getting checked in and an extra day before they ship.
post #524 of 4010
Quote:
Originally Posted by PerryD View Post

I hate to be the one to break it to you, but at this rate, you will get throttled in another month or two. I've found that getting a fresh set of movies each week is about the best you can do reliably. Any more than that, movies will inexplicably take an extra 2 days before getting checked in and an extra day before they ship.

Which is why I like BB. I've practically watched one movie a DAY for over a year, and no throttling with BB. I always do in-store exchanges, so half are mailed to me and the other half I get at the store.
post #525 of 4010
Quote:
Originally Posted by PerryD View Post

I hate to be the one to break it to you, but at this rate, you will get throttled in another month or two. I've found that getting a fresh set of movies each week is about the best you can do reliably. Any more than that, movies will inexplicably take an extra 2 days before getting checked in and an extra day before they ship.

Yep, that is the big question as I go forward with Netflix. Time will tell...
post #526 of 4010
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by fjames View Post

Lol, no I never noticed that. When I read the first paragraph before joining, I didn't understand the significance. I don't do well with alphabetized lists, so I think I'll combine your add list with my review list. It's interesting that their site is so poor that your work here (or my workaround before realizing the depth of your work) is necessary to efficiently use the thing.

Does the list not work because you want to read the movie summary and/or ratings? I've been wondering lately if there are things that would make it more valuable.
post #527 of 4010
Quote:
Originally Posted by klac View Post

Does the list not work because you want to read the movie summary and/or ratings? I've been wondering lately if there are things that would make it more valuable.

My needs are just my needs, but if you want feedback, I'll give you some I think the first paragraph is written for experienced users, not noobs. An extra introductory sentence or two that gives an overview of what you're doing might help new users. Or maybe not - it just never occurred to me that something like your list, plus having it linked, was available, so having that important fact in the very first sentence ... I just missed it.

Oh - Jet Li's Fearless is available - it queues as a 2 disc directors cut, so I'm assuming it's the 3 version one or they wouldn't give you both discs?

I don't want too many discs queued, my memory for titles sucks, and there's going to be a lot of films that I'm not familiar with. So I like having a rating to guide me in deciding which to add. I use the DVDtalk list so I have a linked title, rating and reviewer's name to help me out on which reviews to read to help me decide. Tabbed browsers are wonderful

Populating your queue is a one-time process I guess. Once done, you're just looking at new releases. It's still an important and consuming process though, and your list as is helped me - saving a step at least.
post #528 of 4010
Here we go again... Babylon AD 2008 bluray went from release date 1/6/08 to the mysterious "UNAVAILABLE".
post #529 of 4010
damn, it's already a year overdue?
post #530 of 4010
ya got me... should be release 1/6/09. Today it's changed to Long Wait. So much for ever seeing that title in my lifetime.
post #531 of 4010


I just saw a huge ad for it in the city. it'll come out soon.
post #532 of 4010
Thread Starter 
I've started removing titles from the All Titles list that are 90 days past their release date and BlockBuster hasn't added. I'll still look for them but this way they won't clutter up the list.


New to Blockbuster.com:
Appaloosa
Drumline: Special Edition
Jet Li's Fearless (Huo Yuan Jia)
My Best Friend's Girl (Unrated)


New to Blu-ray.com:
An American in Paris
Cadillac Records
Clerks II
Djinn
Dragon Ball Z: Broly Triple Feature
Falling Down
Gigi
Kingdom of the Blue Whale
Koppel on Discovery: The People's Republic of Capitalism
Madagascar: Escape 2 Africa
Seven Pounds
Shigurui: Death Frenzy (Uncut Box)
Synecdoche, New York
The Matador
Transporter 3
Visions of France
Visions of Italy
Visions of the British Isles
post #533 of 4010
Thread Starter 
A few more updates for today...

New to Blockbuster.com:
Battle in Seattle
Life Gamble (Sheng si dou)
Opium & The Kung Fu Master (Hung kuen dai see)
Ping Pong Playa
Top Gun



New to Blu-ray.com:
Role Models
post #534 of 4010
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by hammerdwn View Post

Today it's changed to Long Wait. So much for ever seeing that title in my lifetime.

No matter how bad it seems there always somebody who's worse off...mine is Very Long Wait.
post #535 of 4010
We're tied, now mine says Very Long also
post #536 of 4010
I think I am going to up my subscription again for BB. At one time I had the 3 at a time for BBTA and netflix. I dropped down to the 2/month 3.99 plan in October as I just have not had time to watch the movies that I rented and purchased ones where piling up. I added netflix the other week to watch a show over my parent on the watch instantly with the intention to quit after the trial and got stuck with being on for a month. Cancelling them this saturday.

Anyway, Does the TTA work with BD in stores as well? When I had it before I was just renting DVDs which was about a year and a half ago.

If so, I think I might upgrade to the 1 or 2 at a time TTA plan then.
post #537 of 4010
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjmarchini View Post

I think I am going to up my subscription again for BB. At one time I had the 3 at a time for BBTA and netflix. I dropped down to the 2/month 3.99 plan in October as I just have not had time to watch the movies that I rented and purchased ones where piling up. I added netflix the other week to watch a show over my parent on the watch instantly with the intention to quit after the trial and got stuck with being on for a month. Cancelling them this saturday.

Anyway, Does the TTA work with BD in stores as well? When I had it before I was just renting DVDs which was about a year and a half ago.

If so, I think I might upgrade to the 1 or 2 at a time TTA plan then.

What's TTA? Total Access??
post #538 of 4010
Quote:
Originally Posted by klac View Post

What's TTA? Total Access??

lol. Totally Total Access.
post #539 of 4010
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjmarchini View Post

lol. Totally Total Access.

That's the plan I want!

BD's are the same as DVDs. At least until they think Netflix's $1 BD fee is a good idea.
post #540 of 4010
Thread Starter 
Babylon is now showing as available but it hasn't shipped.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Blu-ray Software
AVS › AVS Forum › Blu-ray & HD DVD › Blu-ray Software › Blockbuster BD rental discussion thread