or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Home Theater In A Box › Best Receiver/Speaker/Sub setup for under $700?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Best Receiver/Speaker/Sub setup for under $700?

post #1 of 16
Thread Starter 
Right now I am looking at the TX-SR605 receiver with the ONKYO SKS-HT240 Home Theater Speaker Kit, which total at $687 on Amazon.

Would this make for a good setup? If not what should I get instead?

Looking for best sound quality for the money, but audio over HDMI would be nice.

If anyone could give me any advice I would really appreciate it.
post #2 of 16
You could do better than the Onkyo speaker/sub package if you're wanting to go separate. For basically the same price personally I'd go for the Onkyo 908 system which includes the 605 receiver and will have the same grade speakers and sub plus comes with a dvd player.

If you are wanting to go separate to get better grade speakers and sub then you'll probably have to up the budget a little or start out slow. Check out the HTIB alternative thread for some ideas. Right now Polk and Athena plus a few other brands have offerings that are much better grade speakers at good prices. For a sub you'd want to budget in the $200 range. Ether the Bic H-100 or AV123 X-Sub are the best choices at the price point imo.
post #3 of 16
Thread Starter 
Thanks for the advice.

So you say the speakers from 908 are just as good as the HT240? Is the 7.1 any better than 6.1 or not much of a difference? If I use xbox 360 or PS3 as a dvd player is it much worse than the dvd player included in the 908?

Also, if I go for all seperate speakers/sub it could be much better than the HT240 or could there not be much of a difference with the same price range?

It seems like you get a discount with the speaker packages because buying the same quality speakers/sub seperately would cost more, right?

I am not looking for incredibly high sound quality, I would just like to make sure I get the best I can afford.
post #4 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by vant View Post

Thanks for the advice.

So you say the speakers from 908 are just as good as the HT240? Is the 7.1 any better than 6.1 or not much of a difference? If I use xbox 360 or PS3 as a dvd player is it much worse than the dvd player included in the 908?

Also, if I go for all seperate speakers/sub it could be much better than the HT240 or could there not be much of a difference with the same price range?

It seems like you get a discount with the speaker packages because buying the same quality speakers/sub seperately would cost more, right?

I am not looking for incredibly high sound quality, I would just like to make sure I get the best I can afford.

Yes they are both HTIB grade speakers. Performance should be basically the same although they are different styles which might matter to you. If you're wanting a substantial upgrade in speakers look at companies that specialize in speakers, right now Polk and Athena among a few others can be found a great prices...although still more than the 240 system, if you want to go that route.

7.1 will only benefit if you have a large enough room and set up properly, I wouldn't place much priority on it and with the 605 receiver you have the ability to go 7.1 in the future if you want anyway.

To put together a nice system with quality speakers and sub around the 605 receiver I would say allow $800 - $850 or more, otherwise you're probably better going with a packaged system and you can always upgrade later if you want.

Whether you use the PS3 or included dvd player they are both very good quality. The included dvd player is not an HD player though so you'd have to use the PS3 for HD formats, personally I'd use the included player for movies and music and the PS3 for gaming and HD formats, your PS3 won't get used as much and should last longer.
post #5 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakeman02 View Post

Yes they are both HTIB grade speakers.

The speakers in the 908 set have a different frequency response and the sub is a 10" rather than an 8" (as noted on onkyos site), speakers, specs. Also, The piano glossy black finish of the 908 speakers is sweet.
It's a great package at the ~700 value (watch amazon then pull the trigger when it gets there).
After I bought ours I thought gee.., I should have done this, or that, but now that I have it dialed in to our home I believe this is the best htib there is. Later, and if the whip allows, I would like to get better speakers and a sub at about ~1,500 - 1,700 value because box speakers, especially in music play back, well sound a little boxy to me.
post #6 of 16
Anyone know if the 908 speakers can be mounted on (not in) a wall or ceiling?
post #7 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtntech View Post

The speakers in the 908 set have a different frequency response and the sub is a 10" rather than an 8" (as noted on onkyos site), speakers, specs. Also, The piano glossy black finish of the 908 speakers is sweet.

I was aware of the different specs, specs mean little if anything in the HTIB market and performance between the two will be a minimal difference at best. If the piano black finish or different style appeals then that would be a reason to choose one over the other.
post #8 of 16
Thread Starter 
I think I have finally made up my mind on the 908. Now I just need to figure out where I will set them up and how. Do you need to buy mounts seperately, and if so, any suggestions on which ones? I could use stands on front and back probably if that is a better solution but would need to mount the sides.

The piano black should match the lnt4071f, that would look good. Also, may be off topic, but does anyone know what a good affordible tv stand would be for the 40" samsung lnt4071f?
post #9 of 16
I probably wouldn't go with the 908. You really should take what people say about HTIB's with a grain of salt on this site. The 240's are NOT HTIB speakers. People like to generalize about Onkyo speakers, that they aren't any good because they come in a HTIB. And the 240's don't come in any HTIB anyway. But for your budget....

Onkyo 605
Polk r150 x 4 and CSR or
Dayton 1200 5 speaker set
Dayton 100 subwoofer
cables from monoprice

It'll more the likely blow the 908 away, and be the same price if not cheaper.
post #10 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daveyd View Post

Anyone know if the 908 speakers can be mounted on (not in) a wall or ceiling?

Yes, the back of the speakers have keyhole slots for either horizontal or vertical mounting

Quote:
Originally Posted by bloodsage View Post

It'll more than likely blow the 908 away

Wouldn't it be nice to set them up side by side?
The ipod dock and upscaling dvd player in the 908 sure sweeten the deal....
post #11 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by vant View Post

I think I have finally made up my mind on the 908. Now I just need to figure out where I will set them up and how. Do you need to buy mounts seperately, and if so, any suggestions on which ones? I could use stands on front and back probably if that is a better solution but would need to mount the sides.

The piano black should match the lnt4071f, that would look good. Also, may be off topic, but does anyone know what a good affordible tv stand would be for the 40" samsung lnt4071f?

I have only one speaker mounted on the wall via the keyhole slot on the back of the speaker. The others are set on tables and bookcases, sub on the floor.
There is a pretty good discussion in the HTIB forum for the 908 that includes discussion on floor stands.
post #12 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakeman02 View Post

You could do better than the Onkyo speaker/sub package if you're wanting to go separate. For basically the same price personally I'd go for the Onkyo 908 system which includes the 605 receiver and will have the same grade speakers and sub plus comes with a dvd player.

If you are wanting to go separate to get better grade speakers and sub then you'll probably have to up the budget a little or start out slow. Check out the HTIB alternative thread for some ideas. Right now Polk and Athena plus a few other brands have offerings that are much better grade speakers at good prices. For a sub you'd want to budget in the $200 range. Ether the Bic H-100 or AV123 X-Sub are the best choices at the price point imo.

Jakeman, you are spreading misinformation regarding the SKS-HT240 speaker system. This is NOT a HTIB system and is far superior in terms of grade and quality. The speakers in the 908 system are not the same as the SKS-HT240.
post #13 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Braviageek View Post

Jakeman, you are spreading misinformation regarding the SKS-HT240 speaker system. This is NOT a HTIB system and is far superior in terms of grade and quality. The speakers in the 908 system are not the same as the SKS-HT240.

I never said they were the same, their are obvious cosmetic difference which I stated in post #4.

I said they were both HTIB grade quality and performance would be similar with both speaker/sub systems.

For the same price from sources like Amazon and J&R for the SKS-HT240 system one could put together a system with the Polk R150s, CSR Center and Dayton, JBL or possibly a Velodyne VX10 sub and have a much better performing system.

Other than that we'll have to agree to disagree.
post #14 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakeman02 View Post

I never said they were the same, their are obvious cosmetic difference which I stated in post #4.

I said they were both HTIB grade quality and performance would be similar with both speaker/sub systems.

For the same price from sources like Amazon and J&R for the SKS-HT240 system one could put together a system with the Polk R150s, CSR Center and Dayton, JBL or possibly a Velodyne VX10 sub and have a much better performing system.

Other than that we'll have to agree to disagree.

Your statement that the sks-ht240 is the equivalent in grade and quality as a HTIB system is not accurate. The differences are more than cosmetic. I've heard the bottom-end Polks you suggest (even considered buying them instead - also looked at the rm6750s) and I just don't think they carry the same clarity and range. I encourage you to have a listen to the sks-ht240 if the opportunity presents itself. I don't think you would end up confusing them with a high-end system, but I do think you would change your opinion about them being essentially HTIB.
post #15 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Braviageek View Post

Your statement that the sks-ht240 is the equivalent in grade and quality as a HTIB system is not accurate. The differences are more than cosmetic. I've heard the bottom-end Polks you suggest (even considered buying them instead - also looked at the rm6750s) and I just don't think they carry the same clarity and range. I encourage you to have a listen to the sks-ht240 if the opportunity presents itself. I don't think you would end up confusing them with a high-end system, but I do think you would change your opinion about them being essentially HTIB.

I have heard the HT240 system and also the polks I spoke of and my conclusion is completely different. Sound is subjective and people have different taste and preferences, again we'll have to agree to disagree.
post #16 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakeman02 View Post

I have heard the HT240 system and also the polks I spoke of and my conclusion is completely different. Sound is subjective and people have different taste and preferences, again we'll have to agree to disagree.

Well, you are certainly entitled to your opinion, and I don't get the impression I'm going to change your mind. Near unanimous user opinions, however, as well as professional reviewers, seem to agree that the SKS-HT240 is a more substantial speaker system than anything you are going to find in a HTIB. What bothers me is that in giving advice on these speakers in this and other threads, you suggest your opinion is fact. Perhaps in making future posts you could add a qualifier, something like, "I believe the SKS-HT240 is the equivalent of HTIB in terms of grade and quality, however, people who have purchased the system and professional reviewers tend to give it higher marks." That would convey that your opinion regarding this system is not necessarily established fact. Just a suggestion. Thanks for the dialogue.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Home Theater In A Box
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Home Theater In A Box › Best Receiver/Speaker/Sub setup for under $700?