or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Gaming & Content Streaming › Home Theater Gaming › PlayStation Area › External Hard Drive to PS3 via USB
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

External Hard Drive to PS3 via USB

post #1 of 137
Thread Starter 
I am new to PS3, I have 2 questions:

1. Can a 500GB external Hard Drive to be connected to PS3 via USB?
I try this but the PS3 can not recognize it, need some setting ?

2. Can PS3 play video files (standard or HD) stored in external HD? If yes, what format of video files?

THANKS
post #2 of 137
The HD needs to be formated to fat32 to be able to be seen by the PS3

And yes, lots of threads talking about playing videos
post #3 of 137
1. there can be issues with certain enclosures, but I haven't seen any real concrete evidence of how it can occur or how to fix it.

2. As for type of video codecs supported, check the ps3 online manual for details. Or search on the forums.

-Splints
post #4 of 137
Thread Starter 
fat32 format can only transfer one file (at a time) of size less 4GB, correct? Hence only few standard DVD movie can fit in.
post #5 of 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by iwanrs View Post

fat32 format can only transfer one file (at a time) of size less 4GB, correct? Hence only few standard DVD movie can fit in.

Just re-encode the DVDs in DIVX CODEC

They should have a firmware update that makes the PS3 recognize NTFS...
post #6 of 137
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuadESL63 View Post

Just re-encode the DVDs in DIVX CODEC

With what software best? Thanks
post #7 of 137
This fat32 thing REALLY sucks.

I have so many HD .TS files on NTFS hard drives that I would love to hook up to the PS3.
post #8 of 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuadESL63 View Post

They should have a firmware update that makes the PS3 recognize NTFS...

Even if they did that, it would be read-only.

Personally, I'd rather see support for NFS/SMB/AFP.
post #9 of 137
Wrong, the Linux kernel can now write to NTFS!
post #10 of 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flavius View Post

Wrong, the Linux kernel can now write to NTFS!

Are you talking about YDL 6.0?
post #11 of 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gruson View Post

This fat32 thing REALLY sucks.

I have so many HD .TS files on NTFS hard drives that I would love to hook up to the PS3.


Just having a firmware update supporting reading from NTFS hard drives wouldn't make those HD .TS files playable. Seems in THEORY since most are likely MPEG-2 video and AC-3 audio (in a OTA type 19.8Mbps stream) there should be no problem playing them, but there is. There's thread after thread here about this, as well as dozens of web sites and forums discussing how to get OTA HD transport streams to play natively (as a .ts file) on PS3. Nowhere that I've seen has ever been able to get it working without some sort of transcode, either transcoding into a new container (.vob, .mpg, etc.) or transcoding to different video/audio codecs (avc, etc.).
post #12 of 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flavius View Post

Wrong, the Linux kernel can now write to NTFS!

It also supports NFS/SMB/AFP, but we're talking about the PS3's software.
post #13 of 137
1) It needs to be FAT32 PLUS it needs to be externally powered. I found out the hard way that the PS3's USB ports do NOT provide enough power for a standalone USB hard drive, so you need to add your own power supply.

2) The Toshiba Portable External drives (I have the 160GB one) work perfectly out of the box with the PS3 provided you use an AC adapter with them. Luckily, I had a matching one lying around the house.
post #14 of 137
1. reformat in FAT32 using Swissknife.

2. DivX, Xvid, MPEG-4, MPEG-2 I believe.
post #15 of 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSLM View Post

Are you talking about YDL 6.0?

No idea what that is, but I know my IT shop that I work in routinely writes to NTFS partitions from Linux. The tech has caught up.
post #16 of 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flavius View Post

I found out the hard way that the PS3's USB ports do NOT provide enough power for a standalone USB hard drive, so you need to add your own power supply.

Is this really true!? Anyone have an external drive that the PS3 can power on its own??

CD
post #17 of 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by CDLehner View Post

Is this really true!? Anyone have an external drive that the PS3 can power on its own??

CD

Of course its true, I just said it, didn't I? Without adding the power cable to my Toshiba drive, the drive just kept spinning and failing, and PS3 would not see it. As soon as I added the +5V AC power, it worked great. This same drive worked fine when attached to a desktop AND to a laptop running on BATTERY, without needing the AC adapter. Doubt any drive will work, honestly, as this was a tiny drive meant to be USB powered only, it didn't even come with an AC adapter. This tells me the power output of the PS3 USB is not 500ma, but a lot less. I tried more than one port too.

If it matters, this was a 60GB PS3 with latest firmware. Maybe the new 40GB models add more juice, who knows.
post #18 of 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by CDLehner View Post

Is this really true!? Anyone have an external drive that the PS3 can power on its own??

CD

I will also confirm it is true. My external "portable" 80GB drive comes with a dual USB cable (1 for data/power and the other for just power). I have to plug it into 2 front usb ports (on my 60GB ps3) to power it.

I only need to plug it into 1 of the xbox 360 usb ports.
post #19 of 137
I have a WD and 3 Seagate 750 Gb external HDDs that all work on my PS3 with only the USB for power. Also a 250, 320 and 2 500s that all work with USB only power. I do have one other Seagate 750 that my PS3 won't read, and it's the exact same model as one of the others that do work, it works fine on a PC so I just use it as a back-up.
post #20 of 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrrsteelers View Post

I have a WD and 3 Seagate 750 Gb external HDDs that all work on my PS3 with only the USB for power. Also a 250, 320 and 2 500s that all work with USB only power. I do have one other Seagate 750 that my PS3 won't read, and it's the exact same model as one of the others that do work, it works fine on a PC so I just use it as a back-up.

Guys, the first rule of science: one example don't make it so. I knew this had to work; who in the world would use a usb that you had to find an outlet for.

CD
post #21 of 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck12 View Post

I will also confirm it is true. My external "portable" 80GB drive comes with a dual USB cable (1 for data/power and the other for just power). I have to plug it into 2 front usb ports (on my 60GB ps3) to power it.

I only need to plug it into 1 of the xbox 360 usb ports.

So... the external drive came with a USB y-cable because they knew you needed one for PS3? Or could the problem be that the drive needs more power than a USB plug supplies, or that USB ports don't all supply the same amount of power?
post #22 of 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crash44 View Post

So... the external drive came with a USB y-cable because they knew you needed one for PS3? Or could the problem be that the drive needs more power than a USB plug supplies, or that USB ports don't all supply the same amount of power?

Ding Ding Ding.... my 2 different computers provide different amounts of power. And they are both different from my laptop.
post #23 of 137
My WD Passport 2.5" works fine off only USB. I think it depends on the power draw of the enclosure.

USB calls for 500mA of current...not sure if the PS3 provides that or not though.
post #24 of 137
I have a pocket size external 100GB toshiba hard drive that I bought of ebay a while back. I formated to fat32 and transfer any files less than 4GB to it. Then I plug it up to the PS3 or 360 via USB and play my videos and music from it. I usually copy my h.264 videos over to the PS3 for a slight performance boost. Man I wish the PS3 would except NTFS.
post #25 of 137
Not all USB ports pass enough current to power external drives, that is why the "y" USB cables are available. All they do is take power from both USB ports. Some laptops need both plugs when on battery power, but only 1 plug when on AC power. I don't think the dual USB plugs make the data transfer any faster.

I think you can view AVCHD files off the external drive and I know I can watch all the HD trailers downloaded from the PS store that are stored on my external drive.
ERIC
post #26 of 137
Could people pitch in names/details of various external portable hard drives being used successfuly with PS3 via USB? I am in market for one
post #27 of 137
I'm using a WD Passport 250.....so far no issues.


buzz
post #28 of 137
Since I have the 40GB, I only have 2 USB ports.
1) Would using a powered USB hub help/hinder things in general or just give me more flexibility?

2) Would it help to power your external drive?
post #29 of 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray**W View Post

Since I have the 40GB, I only have 2 USB ports.
1) Would using a powered USB hub help/hinder things in general or just give me more flexibility?

2) Would it help to power your external drive?

Perfect solution. But make sure its a powered USB hub. The PS3 may not provide enough power to power a hub and a number of devices you may plug in there.
post #30 of 137
Hi Guys,
I also have a 500GB external hard drive connected to my PS3. I have formatted it to Fat32 and have converted my DVD collection to MP4 using handbrake on my mac. However, I have a few problems playing the files. Most of the time when I play them the movie will just cut out and the hard drive icon disappears and then reappears on the XWB. I did stop this once by copying the film over on to the PS3 and playing it from the internal HD but even that can be difficult as it sometimes fails to copy the file to the PS3. Do you think this is something to do with the hard drive? and one last final question. On some movies I only get sound and no image even though I have converted them in the same manner as all the others. Very strange any help would be most welcome as I have posted these question on several other forums with no luck so far.

Thanks

Bookem
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: PlayStation Area
AVS › AVS Forum › Gaming & Content Streaming › Home Theater Gaming › PlayStation Area › External Hard Drive to PS3 via USB