or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Receivers, Amps, and Processors › Official Classe SSP-800 thread.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Official Classe SSP-800 thread. - Page 174

post #5191 of 5778
Quote:
Originally Posted by wse View Post

Who was the help?
A guy who had a history with doing EQ work.
He had never used the XTZ before nor worked with a Classe SSP-800, yet did a really great job.
post #5192 of 5778
Ok guys. Not easy for me but I've got my Classe CT-SSP processor and amps listed in the classified section.

No reason I'm selling other than wanting to try something new. I still love my Classe processor and amps but the hobbyist inside me feels it's time to experiment with new stuff.

If interested, feel free to PM or call me.

Tony
post #5193 of 5778
Hi There. How does the XTZ software integrate with the SSP800 ? I have an SSP800 on loan and the XTZ software really interests me. Thanks Tom
post #5194 of 5778
Another question! Has anyone compared the SSP800 with the ADA CRM4 ? I have the option of both.
post #5195 of 5778
Quote:
Originally Posted by adidino View Post

Ok guys. Not easy for me but I've got my Classe CT-SSP processor and amps listed in the classified section.

No reason I'm selling other than wanting to try something new. I still love my Classe processor and amps but the hobbyist inside me feels it's time to experiment with new stuff.

If interested, feel free to PM or call me.

Tony
Tony, what are you replacing the Classe with?
post #5196 of 5778
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigmoviefan View Post

Tony, what are you replacing the Classe with?

Long term I haven't decided yet. Plan to play with a variety of gear for a while and see what I end of settling down with. I have nothing specific in mind. I am planning on playing around with the Marantz 8801 with Audyssey XT32 out of curiosity. Also plan to check out the ADA and the Datasat at some point.
post #5197 of 5778
Anyone doing rs232 control with the Classe? If so, what are you using? RTI, URC, etc..
post #5198 of 5778
Quote:
Originally Posted by adidino View Post

Anyone doing rs232 control with the Classe? If so, what are you using? RTI, URC, etc..
I do, using Philips Pronto.
post #5199 of 5778
Quote:
Originally Posted by adidino View Post

Anyone doing rs232 control with the Classe? If so, what are you using? RTI, URC, etc..

I use a Savant system with iPad and iPod Touch remotes.
post #5200 of 5778
Quote:
Originally Posted by adidino View Post

Long term I haven't decided yet. Plan to play with a variety of gear for a while and see what I end of settling down with.... Datasat at some point.

DATASAT Now that is awesome biggrin.gif
post #5201 of 5778
Is there anyway to reset the CT-SSP without powering down by the rear panel switch? Mine is installed in a cabinet that is very time consuming to get access to the rear. I've had several instances where the SSP needs to be reset. Today it would not lock in any HDMI video feeds from any source. It would pass the OSD info on to my TV but no video, just audio. A power off reset corrected it but it takes me at least 30 minutes to get to the back of the unit. I looked through the manual and the menus but couldn't find any kind of menu based reset. Am I missing something?

I have everything in the rack powered through a conditioner that has a front panel on/off but that removes power to everything, which can cause other issues or long reboot times, for example with my DirecTV box, so I try to avoid that, whenever possible.

Karl
post #5202 of 5778
If you can pull the power cord, that's about the only other option. If the AC plugs are not accessible, could run an AC extension cord to somewhere you can reach it.

Does your power conditioner include UPS? If not, that might be a good addition for both the SSP and the DirecTV (especially if it is a DVR). Can be a cheap APC unit. Nothing fancy needed.
post #5203 of 5778
No, it's a power conditioner only. UPS is at the main circuit feed at the sub panel. In any case, killing the conditioner via front panel switch, breaks the circuit to the UPS (otherwise why have it?). I guess I'll have to live with getting out the rails each time to roll out the rack from inside the cabinet or just kill the power at the conditioner and live with the consequences of that. Given the computerized nature of the SSP, I was hoping for the equivalent of a Restart button, because I think that's all that would have been necessary to reset the HDMI handshaking. A full power off is a very 1980's way to reset a computer ;-)
post #5204 of 5778
Quote:
Originally Posted by ksalno View Post

No, it's a power conditioner only. UPS is at the main circuit feed at the sub panel. In any case, killing the conditioner via front panel switch, breaks the circuit to the UPS (otherwise why have it?). I guess I'll have to live with getting out the rails each time to roll out the rack from inside the cabinet or just kill the power at the conditioner and live with the consequences of that.
You have a UPS at the panel?? That seems unusual to me. What all does it support? What model is it? I have surge protectors at each of my panels, but the UPSs are local to what they protect. If the UPS is servicing several devices from a long distance, it may not be giving you as much protection as it could. This would be important if it is such AC disturbance that is causing the problems with the SSP.

So you do not like the idea of moving the SSP's power connection to an easily accessible location through a short power extension?
Quote:
Given the computerized nature of the SSP, I was hoping for the equivalent of a Restart button, because I think that's all that would have been necessary to reset the HDMI handshaking.
HDMI handshaking is reinitialized by selecting a different input. If you have to power cycle there is something more serious going on. Maybe Classe can help with that.

As for a reset button, there is a 3-step procedure as outlined by Classe here. 1) Archive, 2) Restore Factory Defaults, 3) Restore Settings.

I am not certain that this process is actually equivalent to a hard power reboot, but it is worth a try.
Edited by Roger Dressler - 1/14/13 at 5:11pm
post #5205 of 5778
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Dressler View Post

You have a UPS at the panel?? That seems unusual to me. What all does it support? What model is it? I have surge protectors at each of my panels, but the UPSs are local to what they protect. If the UPS is servicing several devices from a long distance, it may not be giving you as much protection as it could. This would be important if it is such AC disturbance that is causing the problems with the SSP.

So you do not like the idea of moving the SSP's power connection to an easily accessible location through a short power extension?
HDMI handshaking is reinitialized by selecting a different input. If you have to power cycle there is something more serious going on. Maybe Classe can help with that.

As for a reset button, there is a 3-step procedure as outlined by Classe here. 1) Archive, 2) Restore Factory Defaults, 3) Restore Settings.

I am not certain that this process is actually equivalent to a hard power reboot, but it is worth a try.

Thanks, I have an Eaton UPS installed in the garage next to the main panel. It provides backup power for 3 critical circuits on the main level until the generator kicks on. There is another unit in the basement installed at a subpanel that does the same for the theater equipment rack. This ensures no unplanned power down or start up spikes for all critical A/V equipment in multiple rooms. With more and more devices either including computers (e.g., Savant) or acting like computers (e.g., AVPs, DVRs), I think it's important to give them the same power protection that servers get in data centers.

I'm going to rearrange some things in the rack this weekend so that the critical components are on unswitched outlets. Then I can use the front panel switch on the Furman conditioner the next time I need to power cycle the SSP. But good to know about the soft reset process. It's not as easy as CTRL-ALT-DEL but better than nothing.
post #5206 of 5778
One of the great things about owning an SSP-800 is it sounds so incredible with the Blu-ray lossless sound tracks. DTS-MA is just incredible.
My brother is visting me from out of state for my birthday and wanted to watch a few movies he had missed. We watched Bourne Legacy on Blu-Ray that I had bought. Awesome sound! Dredd was another great sounding Blu-Ray as was Looper.
He also wanted to see Hunger Games. I did not own that one. So my wife rented it at red box on Blu-ray. The Blu-ray review said it had a thunderous DTS-MA sound track.
To my disappointment the Blu-ray when loaded read out 3/2.1 not DTS-MA
I was surprised. The Video was in HD as you could see what a great pictures it had.
But had any of you heard of rentals having different versions versus the Blu-rays you bought? Just curious. First one I saw like that.
Don't often use Red Box.
If you own a Classe SSP-800 you certainly want a lossless sound track.
post #5207 of 5778
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigmoviefan View Post

One of the great things about owning an SSP-800 is it sounds so incredible with the Blu-ray lossless sound tracks. DTS-MA is just incredible.
My brother is visting me from out of state for my birthday and wanted to watch a few movies he had missed. We watched Bourne Legacy on Blu-Ray that I had bought. Awesome sound! Dredd was another great sounding Blu-Ray as was Looper.
He also wanted to see Hunger Games. I did not own that one. So my wife rented it at red box on Blu-ray. The Blu-ray review said it had a thunderous DTS-MA sound track.
To my disappointment the Blu-ray when loaded read out 3/2.1 not DTS-MA
I was surprised. The Video was in HD as you could see what a great pictures it had.
But had any of you heard of rentals having different versions versus the Blu-rays you bought? Just curious. First one I saw like that.
Don't often use Red Box.
If you own a Classe SSP-800 you certainly want a lossless sound track.

Check to see if you have secondary audio set to on in your player. If it is, disable it and replay. With the setting on, it forces DTS MA tracks to standard 5.1 dts
post #5208 of 5778
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigmoviefan View Post

But had any of you heard of rentals having different versions versus the Blu-rays you bought? Just curious. First one I saw like that.

Yes, they are. Netflix rentals from Universal or Lionsgate are. Sucks, I know...I just hope other companies don't follow suit.
post #5209 of 5778
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jose View Post


Yes, they are. Netflix rentals from Universal or Lionsgate are. Sucks, I know...I just hope other companies don't follow suit.

I have seen it as well on Netflix not all studios and not all movies from these studios, they also don't include an special features!!

post #5210 of 5778
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigmoviefan View Post

One of the great things about owning an SSP-800 is it sounds so incredible with the Blu-ray lossless sound tracks. DTS-MA is just incredible. .....He also wanted to see Hunger Games. I did not own that one. So my wife rented it at red box on Blu-ray. The Blu-ray review said it had a thunderous DTS-MA sound track. To my disappointment the Blu-ray when loaded read out 3/2.1 not DTS-MA I was surprised. The Video was in HD as you could see what a great pictures it had.
But had any of you heard of rentals having different versions versus the Blu-rays you bought? Just curious. First one I saw like that. Don't often use Red Box.  If you own a Classe SSP-800 you certainly want a lossless sound track.

 

Yes, the SSP-800 sounds great, what are your speakers?

 

Try Prometheus you will see your walls shaking if you have good subs :)

post #5211 of 5778
Quote:
Originally Posted by ksalno View Post

Thanks, I have an Eaton UPS installed in the garage next to the main panel. It provides backup power for 3 critical circuits on the main level until the generator kicks on. There is another unit in the basement installed at a subpanel that does the same for the theater equipment rack. This ensures no unplanned power down or start up spikes for all critical A/V equipment in multiple rooms. With more and more devices either including computers (e.g., Savant) or acting like computers (e.g., AVPs, DVRs), I think it's important to give them the same power protection that servers get in data centers.
That's some serious backup strategy, there. But I fully agree with the need for it. Even a dumb projector benefits as the fan can run and let the bulb cool properly. I just do not bother with power amps/subs -- they don't care.
Quote:
But good to know about the soft reset process. It's not as easy as CTRL-ALT-DEL but better than nothing.
I was going to try out this sift reset a few days ago when I fired up with total loss of audio, and no change of sources fixed it. Then I noticed I had unplugged the 12v trigger to the amps! So I still do not know how well the soft reset works vs. the hard reset.
post #5212 of 5778
W
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jose View Post

Yes, they are. Netflix rentals from Universal or Lionsgate are. Sucks, I know...I just hope other companies don't follow suit.
Wow! So to get the better lossless sound on universal & Lionsgate Blu-ray movies I must buy them! That sucks! Good to know though!
post #5213 of 5778
I
Quote:
Originally Posted by wse View Post

I have seen it as well on Netflix not all studios and not all movies from these studios, they also don't include an special features!!
I know my wife will be thrilled when I tell her I am now buying more Blu-rays!
post #5214 of 5778
Sp
Quote:
Originally Posted by wse View Post

Yes, the SSP-800 sounds great, what are your speakers?

Try Prometheus you will see your walls shaking if you have good subs smile.gif
Speakers are Kef Reference 205/2 Right & left , center Kef Reference 204/2
Sub is Paradigm Sub 1, Reference on rears!
post #5215 of 5778
I noticed something interesting the other day. I exchanged one of my power conditioners for a Furman 20PFi, and after doing so I spun some discs to hear any differences, or not. After that, I switched to some sat. viewing to watch my first game of hockey this season. Whilst watching the game, I decided to re-check the speaker levels, using the internal noise gen., and to my surprise all the levels were hot by approx. 6-8dB! I was a bit baffled, but re-adjusted them to the appropriate levels.

A day or so later, I sat down to listen to some music. But before putting a disc in, I decided to check the levels once again. I now noticed that they were all low by 6-8dB! So I re-adjusted back to where they had been previously. My guess is that the input for sat. viewing/listening affected the noise generator due to the fact that I have Dolby Volume active for that input only. Don't know if anyone else has run into this situation, or not, but thought I'd share my experience. Any additional thoughts are surely welcome!

Dave
post #5216 of 5778
Quote:
Originally Posted by adidino View Post

Check to see if you have secondary audio set to on in your player. If it is, disable it and replay. With the setting on, it forces DTS MA tracks to standard 5.1 dts

BigMovie - did you try this? I'm surprised to hear that Redbox BD titles have standard DD and DTS only. Doesn't make sense.
post #5217 of 5778
Quote:
Originally Posted by adidino View Post

Check to see if you have secondary audio set to on in your player. If it is, disable it and replay. With the setting on, it forces DTS MA tracks to standard 5.1 dts
My secondary audio is off. I get DTS-MA on all my other discs. Hungar Games is only in DTS-MA if you buy the disc. Rentals are in Dolby Digital.
post #5218 of 5778
It is mentioned on the Blu-ray forum that Lionsgate movies in Blu- ray and the movie Hungar Games on Blu-ray are available in Lossless only if you buy it. Rentals are Dolby Digital. Guess it is a very ingenious way of getting you to buy the movie if you love and appreciate the lossless soundtrack. Hope all the other studios don't follow this trend!!!
post #5219 of 5778
Quote:
Originally Posted by adidino View Post

BigMovie - did you try this? I'm surprised to hear that Redbox BD titles have standard DD and DTS only. Doesn't make sense.

Not all of them....but some of them do. Not sure how they decide (maybe studio specific?) which but I've been stuck with the lossy soundtracks on a few Redbox blu rays...
post #5220 of 5778
Quote:
Originally Posted by wse View Post

Yes, the SSP-800 sounds great, what are your speakers?

Try Prometheus you will see your walls shaking if you have good subs smile.gif
I bought Prometheus on Blu-ray today and plan to watch it in the next couple days.
So far my visiting brother has been very very impressed with the sound quality of the SSP-800. Big improvement over my previous Pre/Pro Anthem D2.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Receivers, Amps, and Processors
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Receivers, Amps, and Processors › Official Classe SSP-800 thread.