or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Receivers, Amps, and Processors › Official Classe SSP-800 thread.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Official Classe SSP-800 thread. - Page 180

post #5371 of 5782
Quote:
Originally Posted by owl1 View Post

Never mind. The magic seems to be back. Found Jeff Meier Accucal's settings in the calibration report he left behind and it was the mains. L & R should be pegged at +13dB each.

This unit never ceases to amaze me for an SSP. I've had some of the top preamps on the planet including Shindo, CJ, ARC, VTL, Lamm etc etc and this SSP for music never disappoints. I'm now on a mission to get the most 3D out of it possible and trying out Synergistic cabling and should have one of their fuses in the 800 soon to see what goodness that can bring in. The stage is so immersive and wraparound in 2 channel now it sounds like I'm running surround and I don't even feel a need to run actual surround anymore.

Are you using a digital connection for 2-channel (HDMI or Coaxial) as opposed to the 2-channel analog connection?
post #5372 of 5782
Quote:
Originally Posted by mt14942 View Post

Are you using a digital connection for 2-channel (HDMI or Coaxial) as opposed to the 2-channel analog connection?

HDMI exclusively
post #5373 of 5782
Quote:
Originally Posted by owl1 View Post

HDMI exclusively

I asked this because I believe you can still use the speaker/bass management and Room EQ when using the 2-channel balanced or unbalanced analog connections by not selecting the analog bypass in the setup menu. However this is not the case when using the mufti-channel analog connections. Perhaps Roger or someone else can confirm this. I myself have tended to prefer the sound when using the 2-channel balanced analog connection with the analog bypass selected. However lately I have been thinking about not selecting the analog bypass so I can use the speaker/bass management and possibly even dabble with the Room EQ.
post #5374 of 5782

Has any one had experience with the Marantz 8801 pre pro, I would love to do 11 channels!

post #5375 of 5782
Quote:
Originally Posted by mt14942 View Post

I asked this because I believe you can still use the speaker/bass management and Room EQ when using the 2-channel balanced or unbalanced analog connections by not selecting the analog bypass in the setup menu. However this is not the case when using the mufti-channel analog connections. Perhaps Roger or someone else can confirm this. I myself have tended to prefer the sound when using the 2-channel balanced analog connection with the analog bypass selected. However lately I have been thinking about not selecting the analog bypass so I can use the speaker/bass management and possibly even dabble with the Room EQ.

I use the 2 channel balanced and unbalanced connections. All being processed by the 800's bass management and PEQ. For me, I like the ability to be able to reduce a couple room modes. Also, my 2 channel is a 2.1 set-up. I have my mains crossed over at 50Hz, even though my mains can certainly handle frequencies in the 20's, but I prefer letting the sub handle that end of it.
post #5376 of 5782
Still trying to figure out if replacing my Theta Dreadnaught II amp with a Classe CA-5300 would be a sound quality upgrade. Pairing up with Classe
SSP-800 that I own, you'd think the Classe amp may sound better but have not found anyone who has compared the two amps.
post #5377 of 5782
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigmoviefan View Post

Still trying to figure out if replacing my Theta Dreadnaught II amp with a Classe CA-5300 would be a sound quality upgrade. Pairing up with Classe
SSP-800 that I own, you'd think the Classe amp may sound better but have not found anyone who has compared the two amps.

Pleased with my classe ssp-800 and ca-5300 pairing. Just listening to native DSD Vivaldi on my oppo 105 analog bypass. Absolutely amazing sound.
post #5378 of 5782
Quote:
Originally Posted by wadeh911 View Post

Pleased with my classe ssp-800 and ca-5300 pairing. Just listening to native DSD Vivaldi on my oppo 105 analog bypass. Absolutely amazing sound.
Thanks for your input!
Wish my dealer stocked the amp then I could try it out. But he does not. I only was worried cause some people say they think they roll off the top end of CA-5300. But that is probably compared to the most expensive amps out there.
post #5379 of 5782
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigmoviefan View Post

Thanks for your input!
Wish my dealer stocked the amp then I could try it out. But he does not. I only was worried cause some people say they think they roll off the top end of CA-5300. But that is probably compared to the most expensive amps out there.

Fred Manteghian with Home Theater Magazine posted these specs in his Sept 2010- http://www.hometheater.com/content/classeacute-ct-ssp-surround-processor-and-ct-5300-amplifier

HT Labs Measures: Classe CT-5300 Amplifier
Five channels driven continuously into 8-ohm loads:
0.1% distortion at 292.9 watts
1% distortion at 322.1 watts

Frequency response RCA input:
–0.03 dB at 10 Hz
–0.00 dB at 20 Hz
–0.03 dB at 20 kHz
–2.63 dB at 50 kHz

Frequency response XLR input:
–0.03 dB at 10 Hz
+0.00 dB at 20 Hz
–0.01 dB at 20 kHz
–2.53 dB at 50 kHz

Let your ears be the judge to tell you if the top end is rolled off. My ears don't work real well in the 40KHz to 100KHz range to pick up any top end roll off.

Just noticed a CA-5300 available for sale on Audiogon-

http://app.audiogon.com/listings/multi-ch-classe-ca-5300-delta-series-amplifier-mint-like-new-condition-great-price-2013-03-13-amplifiers-75035
post #5380 of 5782
Quote:
Originally Posted by wadeh911 View Post

Pleased with my classe ssp-800 and ca-5300 pairing. Just listening to native DSD Vivaldi on my oppo 105 analog bypass. Absolutely amazing sound.
Which SACD of Vivaldi?
post #5381 of 5782
Quote:
Originally Posted by wadeh911 View Post

Fred Manteghian with Home Theater Magazine posted these specs in his Sept 2010- http://www.hometheater.com/content/classeacute-ct-ssp-surround-processor-and-ct-5300-amplifier

HT Labs Measures: Classe CT-5300 Amplifier
Five channels driven continuously into 8-ohm loads:
0.1% distortion at 292.9 watts
1% distortion at 322.1 watts

Frequency response RCA input:
–0.03 dB at 10 Hz
–0.00 dB at 20 Hz
–0.03 dB at 20 kHz
–2.63 dB at 50 kHz

Frequency response XLR input:
–0.03 dB at 10 Hz
+0.00 dB at 20 Hz
–0.01 dB at 20 kHz
–2.53 dB at 50 kHz

Let your ears be the judge to tell you if the top end is rolled off. My ears don't work real well in the 40KHz to 100KHz range to pick up any top end roll off.

Just noticed a CA-5300 available for sale on Audiogon-

http://app.audiogon.com/listings/multi-ch-classe-ca-5300-delta-series-amplifier-mint-like-new-condition-great-price-2013-03-13-amplifiers-75035
My gut feeling is I would love the CA-5300.
post #5382 of 5782
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigmoviefan View Post

My gut feeling is I would love the CA-5300.

You would/will. The only reason I did not switch over to Classe amps is I got an excellent deal on a Mark Levinson 433 three channel amplifier to add to my Levinson 335 stereo amp. When I auditioned the Classe SSP-800 it was on an all Classe system playing thru a 7.1 system with all Focal audio speakers. The amps are not "rolled off". I remember because I could hear the brass clearly in the musical intro of the latest Star Trek Blu-ray. Of course you know already the first disc that I played after buying the SSP-800? If starting over again, my "dream system" would consist of all Classe amplifiers. I would configure three mono amps for the front and a stereo for the rears! Happy with what I have otherwise the "addiction" would take over again after all these years. wink.gif
post #5383 of 5782
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharp1080 View Post

You would/will. The only reason I did not switch over to Classe amps is I got an excellent deal on a Mark Levinson 433 three channel amplifier to add to my Levinson 335 stereo amp. When I auditioned the Classe SSP-800 it was on an all Classe system playing thru a 7.1 system with all Focal audio speakers. The amps are not "rolled off". I remember because I could hear the brass clearly in the musical intro of the latest Star Trek Blu-ray. Of course you know already the first disc that I played after buying the SSP-800? If starting over again, my "dream system" would consist of all Classe amplifiers. I would configure three mono amps for the front and a stereo for the rears! Happy with what I have otherwise the "addiction" would take over again after all these years. wink.gif

Levinson these at very nice as well and made in the US. I have the CA-M600 with the B&W 800diamond very well matched!
post #5384 of 5782
Quote:
Originally Posted by wse View Post

Levinson these at very nice as well and made in the US. I have the CA-M600 with the B&W 800diamond very well matched!


You have the reference system that I heard minus the speakers. I would love to buy CA-M600's.The thing that impressed me is there is a ton of detail being thrown at you when the disc contains it which in turn, makes you listen carefully, well at least with me. I was hearing cues and soundstaging like never before. biggrin.gif


I'm not worried about where it's made necessarily as long as it is made per the manufacturers specifications. Makes no difference to me, I hope to visit China one day.
post #5385 of 5782
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharp1080 View PostYou have the reference system that I heard minus the speakers. I would love to buy CA-M600's.The thing that impressed me is there is a ton of detail being thrown at you when the disc contains it which in turn, makes you listen carefully, well at least with me. I was hearing cues and sound staging like never before. biggrin.gif

I'm not worried about where it's made necessarily as long as it is made per the manufacturers specifications. Makes no difference to me, I hope to visit China one day.

Thank you, agreed Classé has their own factory in China and the quality is very good as far as I can tell. Yes many people don't like so much detail they think it's clinical and dry, I love it since you can hear every little nuances.

 

I went to Hong Kong once while it was still rulled by the British Empire

post #5386 of 5782
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharp1080 View Post

You have the reference system that I heard minus the speakers. I would love to buy CA-M600's.The thing that impressed me is there is a ton of detail being thrown at you when the disc contains it which in turn, makes you listen carefully, well at least with me. I was hearing cues and soundstaging like never before. biggrin.gif


I'm not worried about where it's made necessarily as long as it is made per the manufacturers specifications. Makes no difference to me, I hope to visit China one day.

I have given some thought to upgrading my Amp a Parasound Halo A52 5 channel amp to the Classe 5 channel amp, but I probably should also upgrade my 2 front speakers (Vienna Acoustic Mozart Grands) to possibly Wilson's or the B&W Diamond's but I'm not sure at this stage I want to do that. I don't doubt that if I were to do either or both it would have to be an upgrade to my audio but I think I am slowing down in my desire to continue to reach new heights of audio nirvana. I do really like how my system sounds the way it is and am still appreciating it every time it's engaged. On a more depressing note the wife and I were watching Game Of Thrones from satellite and the phone rang. My wife grabs the satellite remote to lower the volume rather than the Classe remote, which just disengages the mute that causes an echo. She said she thought we were just listening to the TV speakers. It's obvious upgrading is not going to matter too much to my wife.
post #5387 of 5782
Quote:
Originally Posted by mt14942 View Post

I have given some thought to upgrading my Amp a Parasound Halo A52 5 channel amp to the Classe 5 channel amp, but I probably should also upgrade my 2 front speakers (Vienna Acoustic Mozart Grands) to possibly Wilson's or the B&W Diamond's but I'm not sure at this stage I want to do that. I don't doubt that if I were to do either or both it would have to be an upgrade to my audio but I think I am slowing down in my desire to continue to reach new heights of audio nirvana. I do really like how my system sounds the way it is and am still appreciating it every time it's engaged. On a more depressing note the wife and I were watching Game Of Thrones from satellite and the phone rang. My wife grabs the satellite remote to lower the volume rather than the Classe remote, which just disengages the mute that causes an echo. She said she thought we were just listening to the TV speakers. It's obvious upgrading is not going to matter too much to my wife.

That frequently happens to wives living in south Florida. We will get together sooner or later to enjoy our systems. Understand the slowing down reaching new audio heights. +1
post #5388 of 5782
Quote:
Originally Posted by mt14942 View Post

I have given some thought to upgrading my Amp a Parasound Halo A52 5 channel amp to the Classe 5 channel amp, but I probably should also upgrade my 2 front speakers (Vienna Acoustic Mozart Grands) to possibly Wilson's or the B&W Diamond's but I'm not sure at this stage I want to do that. I don't doubt that if I were to do either or both it would have to be an upgrade to my audio but I think I am slowing down in my desire to continue to reach new heights of audio nirvana. I do really like how my system sounds the way it is and am still appreciating it every time it's engaged. On a more depressing note the wife and I were watching Game Of Thrones from satellite and the phone rang. My wife grabs the satellite remote to lower the volume rather than the Classe remote, which just disengages the mute that causes an echo. She said she thought we were just listening to the TV speakers. It's obvious upgrading is not going to matter too much to my wife.

No worries on the west coast my wife and kids love the sound coming from the 800Diamonds, not mistake there with Tv speakers smile.gif
post #5389 of 5782
Quote:
Originally Posted by mt14942 View Post

I have given some thought to upgrading my Amp a Parasound Halo A52 5 channel amp to the Classe 5 channel amp, but I probably should also upgrade my 2 front speakers (Vienna Acoustic Mozart Grands) to possibly Wilson's or the B&W Diamond's but I'm not sure at this stage I want to do that. I don't doubt that if I were to do either or both it would have to be an upgrade to my audio but I think I am slowing down in my desire to continue to reach new heights of audio nirvana. I do really like how my system sounds the way it is and am still appreciating it every time it's engaged. On a more depressing note the wife and I were watching Game Of Thrones from satellite and the phone rang. My wife grabs the satellite remote to lower the volume rather than the Classe remote, which just disengages the mute that causes an echo. She said she thought we were just listening to the TV speakers. It's obvious upgrading is not going to matter too much to my wife.

I think speakers would bring you happiness longer. They also do define how your system sounds. Amps are usually the second major change in a high end system such as ours. I am in the same place in my life. I will admit I'd love to get Wilson Maxx 3's to fill up my room but I'm happy with my system and the way it sounds!
post #5390 of 5782
Just to share as to how after 2 months ,with my new Classe SSP800, I have finally finished fiddling and tweaking my system and now everyrhing just sounds absolutely the best it has ever been,ever !!
No right or wrong way in doing things , forget the flat response holly grail - it is all about getting the total package to sound just the way you personally like it and I am finally there !!!

Couple of things I have done to get this , which might be of interest to some......

A combination of my room and I think hearing at my age , dictates that I need to increase the top end for a little more sparkle ..With the SSP 800 having no facility to increase the top end as it were , I fixed this by using two bands of the EQ on each and all five Revel Speakers .........used a F of 13,2000 , Q of 1 and gain of 1.5 o by 1.5 db on one band .This increased the top up to past 20,000Hz and down to 6,600. The second band was set at an F of 5,300 ,Q of 2 which covered all up to 6,600 and down to 3,900 .
This solved my issue and gets back all the top end that was missing ..............sounds just great and using the EQ to correct works like a dream once you know how and what to do .
I am not using the EQ to correct anything below this as personally to correct bass to a near flat response is not my idea of exciting bass ........my two B&W DB1 subs sound just fine as they are .


What I also tend to do once I have fiddled around and changed menu settings several times ,is when I am finished ,I access the technical Menu , save all my settings , reset to factory defaults and then reload all my settings ...kind of like rebooting your computer .......I believe it just clears all the rubbish out and just sounds better once done .

Finally ,after some years also now listen to my music in Stereo again .........The Classe is certainly a Preamp/DAC of note and far superior to the Lexicon MC12 B I used for some 5 years ............totally a different ballgame .
As said ,personally for myself my system now fulfils all my aspirations and requirements and this just to share how I have used the inherent flexibility of this unit to I believe, the best I can and what it can offer .

Equipment :
Classe SSP 800, Amps : Mark Levinson No 432 and 433 amps , Mark Levinson No 37 CD transport , Oppo BDP83 Nuforce SE, Apple TV2 ,Apple 27" iMac media server , Kimber select Interconnects /, Speaker cable, Revel Ultima Salons /Voice Speakers , 2 B&W DB1 subs.,HD Digital Satellite TV .
post #5391 of 5782
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alsof1 View PostJust to share as to how after 2 months ,with my new Classe SSP800, I have finally finished fiddling and tweaking my system and now everyrhing just sounds absolutely the best it has ever been,ever !!  No right or wrong way in doing things , forget the flat response holly grail - it is all about getting the total package to sound just the way you personally like it and I am finally there !!!  YES Couple of things I have done to get this , which might be of interest to some......

A combination of my room and I think hearing at my age? , dictates that I need to increase the top end for a little more sparkle ..With the SSP 800 having no facility to increase the top end as it were , I fixed this by using two bands of the EQ on each and all five Revel Speakers .........
Used a F of 13,2000 , Q of 1 and gain of 1.5 o by 1.5 db on one band .This increased the top up to past 20,000Hz and down to 6,600.
The second band was set at an F of 5,300 ,Q of 2 which covered all up to 6,600 and down to 3,900 .  
This solved my issue and gets back all the top end that was missing ..............sounds just great and using the EQ to correct works like a dream once you know how and what to do . I am not using the EQ to correct anything below this as personally to correct bass to a near flat response is not my idea of exciting bass ........my two B&W DB1 subs sound just fine as they are .  What I also tend to do once I have fiddled around and changed menu settings several times ,is when I am finished ,I access the technical Menu , save all my settings , reset to factory defaults and then reload all my settings ...kind of like rebooting your computer .......I believe it just clears all the rubbish out and just sounds better once done .  Finally ,after some years also now listen to my music in Stereo again .........The Classe is certainly a Preamp/DAC of note and far superior to the Lexicon MC12 B I used for some 5 years ............totally a different ballgame .  As said ,personally for myself my system now fulfils all my aspirations and requirements and this just to share how I have used the inherent flexibility of this unit to I believe, the best I can and what it can offer .

Equipment : Classe SSP 800, Amps : Mark Levinson No 432 and 433 amps , Mark Levinson No 37 CD transport , Oppo BDP83 Nuforce SE, Apple TV2 ,Apple 27" iMac media server , Kimber select Interconnects /, Speaker cable, Revel Ultima Salons /Voice Speakers , 2 B&W DB1 subs.,HD Digital Satellite TV .

Thank you for sharing, love your set-up great equipment as well.   So you have five Revel Ultima Sallons superb how do you like the  two B&W DB1subs :) Since you have all Revel speakers why not Revel subs?

 

Please post pictures for us to drool on :)

post #5392 of 5782
WSE - thanks for this ..
To clarify , The Revel are Studios ( apologies ), Voice Centre and Performas for rears , so all Revel ,yes .
Reason for the DB1s is that my Revel Sub 30 was a victim of a power surge ..with no spares available and no Revel Ultima sub available for 4 years ,the move had to be made elsewhere .
My dealer sells both Revel and B&W , so two DB1's on trial kind of made up my mind, as they connect well with my room .
Would like to move to B&W800D's ,however at my age ( 66 ) do not know whether wise to spend some of the retirement funds ....but , hey we are and remain crazy audiophiles till we get to the other side !!

Will take a pic of the set up over the week-end and post for you....I see a distinct lack of fellow Classe forum members posting pics of their system ........can we put a gallery together ??
Edited by Alsof1 - 4/12/13 at 2:36am
post #5393 of 5782

Edited by Alsof1 - 4/12/13 at 2:04pm
post #5394 of 5782
Quote:
Originally Posted by wadeh911 View Post

That frequently happens to wives living in south Florida. We will get together sooner or later to enjoy our systems. Understand the slowing down reaching new audio heights. +1

I think it would be interesting to do that. I am curious as to what you use as your source player your amp and speakers.
post #5395 of 5782
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alsof1 View Post


Very nice !
post #5396 of 5782
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alsof1 View Post

WSE - thanks for this ..
To clarify , The Revel are Studios ( apologies ), Voice Centre and Performas for rears , so all Revel ,yes . Reason for the DB1s is that my Revel Sub 30 was a victim of a power surge ..with no spares available and no Revel Ultima sub available for 4 years ,the move had to be made elsewhere . My dealer sells both Revel and B&W , so two DB1's on trial kind of made up my mind, as they connect well with my room . Would like to move to B&W800D's ,however at my age ( 66 ) do not know whether wise to spend some of the retirement funds ....but , hey we are and remain crazy audiophiles till we get to the other side !! Will take a pic of the set up over the week-end and post for you....I see a distinct lack of fellow Classe forum members posting pics of their system ........can we put a gallery together ??

You only live once, so if yo can you should please yourself! Yes let's create a new thread Classe system pict! Will do
post #5397 of 5782
Quote:
Originally Posted by wse View Post

You only live once, so if yo can you should please yourself! Yes let's create a new thread Classe system pict! Will do

Done smile.gif. On an other note do you think power conditioners are worth it?
post #5398 of 5782
I have heard good Power conditioners do good things .......and one I would go for is the top of the range P10 PS Audio unit...good stuff!
Always been tempted to try one and see what it does , however this means changing all my Kimber Select power cord wall plugs back to US plugs , so a ( expensive)mission !!
I have however pulled thorough heavy duty cables from my board with individual breakers and filters ....my Levinson amps will not boot up together on 20 amp circuits - my system therefore has dedicated power and not connected to the house wiring which is always a good start .

Where do I find the Classe system pics on the forum? .
post #5399 of 5782
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alsof1 View Post.......Where do I find the Classe system pics on the forum? .

PLease post pictures of you Classé systems here: http://www.avsforum.com/t/1468049/class-audio-hifi-home-theater-pictures

post #5400 of 5782
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Dressler View Post

I think Oppo means you send one HDMI direct to the display, and the other to the SSP. I think it is mainly so that AVR's and processors that are not HDMI 1.4 compliant can avoid clogging on 3D video. The SSP passes 3D video so no need for the dual outputs.

The SSP has 2 outputs, so you can feed the 2 displays that way.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Receivers, Amps, and Processors
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Receivers, Amps, and Processors › Official Classe SSP-800 thread.