or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Video Components › Home Theater Computers › Arcsoft TotalMedia Theatre
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Arcsoft TotalMedia Theatre - Page 124

post #3691 of 4430
I have resolved many problems disabling the hardware acceleration from control panel of TMT, patch 129
post #3692 of 4430
Quote:
Originally Posted by taz291819 View Post

Obviously you haven't been reading this thread, and/or didn't do much research.

TMT plays back rip BD's from folders just fine, as well as HD-DVDs.

And it doesn't have a virus, your virus program is initiating a false-positive. Try uninstalling, reboot, delete anything Arcsoft related (even in the registry), reboot, turn OFF your virus protection, re-install TMT, reboot. Your virus protection may be blocking some installation files. Ever think of that?



I have no desire to become a 'get TMT to work' guru so no, I did not read hundreds of pages of this thread. I posted my experience with TMT and also provided the configurations I used and the exact results I got. Might be useful info to someone who has similar rigs. Those are "just the facts, maam." If that offends a TMT fanboy, so be it.


In my opinion, going thru the proceedure you suggest should not be needed. There is obviously a virus signature in TMT. It is their choice to blame the AV company instead of finding and changing the signature in their own software. Turning off anti virus (as their tech support suggested) in order to play a movie is not an option as far as I am concerned, especially if the player is using the internet. What then protects the player form getting infected?

That's just an insane suggestion, as far as I am concerned.

Besides, it is not a question of TMT not running, it is a question of it not playing HD-DVD disks, or Bluray from a folder or even just HD mpgs,while it IS running. Other players do this on the exact same computers, so I don't agree that I should have to make a bunch of changes to the configs (especially to the registy as you suggest) in order to accommodate the shortcomings of a single piece of software.


TMT plays DVD off the hard drive just fine, but the choice remains grayed out on Blue ray folders, so it won't even try to play them.

The computer I use for theater has the 8600GT (HDCP compliant) in it and it currently plays all of my recorded HD .mpgs fine, also plays HD .trp, regular DVDs and Bluray from the hard drive fine. It just stutters playing HD-DVD from a disk so I thought I'd go with TMT since is supposedly makes best use of Purevideo and playes HD-DVD off the hard drive. I never even got to the 'off the hard drive' part on this computer because TMT stops playing an HD_DVD disk after 15 seconds or so and reports 'no HDCP' on a card which IS compliant. During the 15 seconds it does play, it seems to use less CPU than Nero, but it refuses to continue, so what's the use? Neither PowerDVD nor Nero Showtime players do this, so I don't think the problem is with the hardware. Arcsoft tech support says reinstall the latest Nvidia drivers. Give me a break . . . I am already using the latest drivers and everything else on the computer works . . including the other players.

I don't do warez and I just bought a legit TMT so I have the only the latest version and no ability to roll back to a previous version, and Arcsoft blames everything except their own software, so I'm dead in the water.

If that kind of situation works for some, that's fine. I'm not going to reconfigure my computers or run without AV or jump thru any other hoops just to use a player. I requested a refund in accordance with their publiched policy . I will post back the results of that request.
post #3693 of 4430
Quote:
Originally Posted by simpson36 View Post

The computer I use for theater has the 8600GT (HDCP compliant) in it and it currently plays all of my recorded HD .mpgs fine, also plays HD .trp, regular DVDs and Bluray from the hard drive fine.

Are you positive? A quick check on NewEgg says that only two of the 8600GT's are HDCP compliant, and they are both from the same off-vendor. Not sure if that's just incorrect data or not?

Anyway, you might consider getting a HTPC video card (like the ATI 4xxx), or IGB motherboard (nVidia 8/9 series), as I fear this will continue to be a problem with non-HTPC focused graphics chips (just due to the limited testing capability of the vendors).
post #3694 of 4430
I too have a 8500GT which surely IS HDCP. It is from evga. Outputs 1080p/60Hz to a 50" plasma over DVI>HDMI

Works absolutely fine with NO stutter with both TMT and PDVD 7 or 8.
Ironman works fine too.

And I have an old P4 2.8 GHz motherboard with 2 GB RAM.
However I do run Vista (many services disabled)..........maybe XP does not play well with TMT ??

PS: My other HTPC has a 8600GTS....works fine too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbMagFab View Post

Are you positive? A quick check on NewEgg says that only two of the 8600GT's are HDCP compliant, and they are both from the same off-vendor. Not sure if that's just incorrect data or not?

Anyway, you might consider getting a HTPC video card (like the ATI 4xxx), or IGB motherboard (nVidia 8/9 series), as I fear this will continue to be a problem with non-HTPC focused graphics chips (just due to the limited testing capability of the vendors).
post #3695 of 4430
Quote:
Originally Posted by AbMagFab View Post

It might not be their fault in your case. Are you trying to watch at 24p?

nope, 1080p 60fps... the software is buggy at best, another feature which is "supposed" to work is when you exit media center and go back to TMT it's supposed to remember the last place you were at and resume playing... I have this feature checked on and it no longer works! AWESOME!!!

Arcsoft needs to get with the program and maybe instill some pride in the work they do because this is pathetic! Seriously.
post #3696 of 4430
Quote:
Originally Posted by realtight View Post

nope, 1080p 60fps... the software is buggy at best, another feature which is "supposed" to work is when you exit media center and go back to TMT it's supposed to remember the last place you were at and resume playing... I have this feature checked on and it no longer works! AWESOME!!!

Arcsoft needs to get with the program and maybe instill some pride in the work they do because this is pathetic! Seriously.

I can confirm it does not remember where you were at...but then I do not know if I have that option checked or not.

Other than that, I have absolutely no issues with TMT.
post #3697 of 4430
Quote:
Originally Posted by rajdude View Post

I too have a 8500GT which surely IS HDCP. It is from evga. Outputs 1080p/60Hz to a 50" plasma over DVI>HDMI

Works absolutely fine with NO stutter with both TMT and PDVD 7 or 8.
Ironman works fine too.

And I have an old P4 2.8 GHz motherboard with 2 GB RAM.
However I do run Vista (many services disabled)..........maybe XP does not play well with TMT ??

PS: My other HTPC has a 8600GTS....works fine too.

Can you point to a spec that says it's HDCP? Just because it's HDMI, doesn't man it's HDCP. I'm not challenging it, I just haven't seen hard evidence that it is.
post #3698 of 4430
Quote:
Originally Posted by realtight View Post

nope, 1080p 60fps... the software is buggy at best, another feature which is "supposed" to work is when you exit media center and go back to TMT it's supposed to remember the last place you were at and resume playing... I have this feature checked on and it no longer works! AWESOME!!!

Arcsoft needs to get with the program and maybe instill some pride in the work they do because this is pathetic! Seriously.

Resume doesn't work for blurays (I assume that's what you're playing) with Java menus, which are increasingly coming out, in PowerDVD either. I really miss the simplicity of early blurays without the bloated Java. Even HD-DVD, all of which used Java (and were also impossible to resume) had quick-loading menus, no load screen at all.

Although if the PS3 and other players can do it, I don't know why the software players can't.
post #3699 of 4430
They can.. just requires a higher quality of developers and post development activities.... Arcsoft, Micro$oft and video card drivers...

What I am happy to see is that Arcsoft is SOOO close but they need to get a handle around the quality of their releases. There are too that seem to have the same issues for it to be an isolated incident; perpetuated over many releases. For me, PowerDVD typically runs flawless.. but lacks the innovation that Arcsoft has shown. If Arcsoft improves the quality and compatibility they will definitely overtake the market... until then most will still question their legitimacy in the market and will remain just a niche player in a niche market.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy o View Post

Resume doesn't work for blurays (I assume that's what you're playing) with Java menus, which are increasingly coming out, in PowerDVD either. I really miss the simplicity of early blurays without the bloated Java. Even HD-DVD, all of which used Java (and were also impossible to resume) had quick-loading menus, no load screen at all.

Although if the PS3 and other players can do it, I don't know why the software players can't.
post #3700 of 4430
Well I solved my stutter problems perhaps this may help someone else;

I use two USB drives, an XBOX 360 for HDDVD's and a LG in an external case for Blu Ray. After a pain staking process of elimination it turns out the USB controller on the MB was to blame. Once I installed a PCI USB card and ran the drives to it TMT plays back smooth as silk.

I even upgraded to.129 and playback is still good however it seems .129 does not see or playback audio streams on some HD DVD's except the default which is not good for imports with foreign language audio as the default. So I will have to revert back to .126 again but at least it works.

Also during this process of elimination one thing I did was upgrade XP to Vista, now it could be just my imagination but the HD DVD & Blu Ray image seems to be better than XP. Perhaps EVR is working and does make a difference.
post #3701 of 4430
Quote:
Originally Posted by Socio View Post


Also during this process of elimination one thing I did was upgrade XP to Vista, now it could be just my imagination but the HD DVD & Blu Ray image seems to be better than XP. Perhaps EVR is working and does make a difference.

Upgrading to Vista was the answer to all the problems I was having with TMT in the early going. It works much better all around in Vista.
post #3702 of 4430
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy o View Post

Resume doesn't work for blurays (I assume that's what you're playing) with Java menus, which are increasingly coming out, in PowerDVD either. I really miss the simplicity of early blurays without the bloated Java. Even HD-DVD, all of which used Java (and were also impossible to resume) had quick-loading menus, no load screen at all.

Although if the PS3 and other players can do it, I don't know why the software players can't.

Quote:
Originally Posted by realtight View Post

nope, 1080p 60fps... the software is buggy at best, another feature which is "supposed" to work is when you exit media center and go back to TMT it's supposed to remember the last place you were at and resume playing... I have this feature checked on and it no longer works! AWESOME!!!

Arcsoft needs to get with the program and maybe instill some pride in the work they do because this is pathetic! Seriously.

Blu Ray and HD DVD never resumed, neither of them are encoded with the proper flag to allow resume.
post #3703 of 4430
It's been some time I stopped a movie and played it later, but I remember the software asking if I wanted to resume where I left off. Can't remember which. Will check it out.
post #3704 of 4430
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davinleeds View Post

It's been some time I stopped a movie and played it later, but I remember the software asking if I wanted to resume where I left off. Can't remember which. Will check it out.

TheaterTek will ask you that , but I think most players will because SD DVD's are encoded with the feature.
post #3705 of 4430
TMT is working fine for me. I am using a Sony laptop with a blu-ray R/W drive. I am also using My Movies to launch movies from within Windows Media Center. Once the movie is selected, My Movies launches TMT for playback (both sDVD and BD off the hard drive).

Marcus
post #3706 of 4430
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJWikiera View Post

Blu Ray and HD DVD never resumed, neither of them are encoded with the proper flag to allow resume.

I've had many blurays resume with PowerDVD. The Java ones are the ones that don't. Even some Java ones, like Ratatouille, do resume only to some parts of the disc, I'm guessing the ones "outside" of the Java menu. If you for example run the video/audio tests, and you stop the disc there, you can resume the test you left it at. No resuming the movie though.

Not sure about TMT, but PowerDVD does it, and the PS3 seemingly can resume Java discs too, though I've not tested it with many discs.
post #3707 of 4430
Hard evidence:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814130293

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814130084

BTW, none of these are HDMI.
PDVD never complains about HDCP with these cards.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbMagFab View Post

Can you point to a spec that says it's HDCP? Just because it's HDMI, doesn't man it's HDCP. I'm not challenging it, I just haven't seen hard evidence that it is.
post #3708 of 4430
I am 100% sure PDVD used to resume blu-rays.
Latest versions ask, but dont really resume.


Quote:
Originally Posted by DJWikiera View Post

Blu Ray and HD DVD never resumed, neither of them are encoded with the proper flag to allow resume.
post #3709 of 4430
Quote:
Originally Posted by rajdude View Post

Hard evidence:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814130293

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814130084

BTW, none of these are HDMI.
PDVD never complains about HDCP with these cards.

Actually, I have had an 8500GT and an 8600GTS. I remember clearly that most 8600GT's didn't have HDCP, only a few. I had to hunt and make sure that they were HDCP compliant. Nvidia was doing something different than ATI, ATI had it in the chip itself, while Nvidia left it to the manufacturer. That was the reason I went with the GTS, cause I didn't need anything more powerful than a 8600GT really. I don't really know why most 8600GT's were not HDCP compliant, while most (all?) GTS's were.
post #3710 of 4430
Your stutter problems are more of a Disk I/O issue; you had major stutters... Most who complain like me are more of a VSync issue... No real major stutters but always seems off speed or not smooth..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Socio View Post

Well I solved my stutter problems perhaps this may help someone else;

I use two USB drives, an XBOX 360 for HDDVD's and a LG in an external case for Blu Ray. After a pain staking process of elimination it turns out the USB controller on the MB was to blame. Once I installed a PCI USB card and ran the drives to it TMT plays back smooth as silk.

I even upgraded to.129 and playback is still good however it seems .129 does not see or playback audio streams on some HD DVD's except the default which is not good for imports with foreign language audio as the default. So I will have to revert back to .126 again but at least it works.

Also during this process of elimination one thing I did was upgrade XP to Vista, now it could be just my imagination but the HD DVD & Blu Ray image seems to be better than XP. Perhaps EVR is working and does make a difference.
post #3711 of 4430
Quote:
Originally Posted by simpson36 View Post

Those are "just the facts, maam." If that offends a TMT fanboy, so be it.

I'm no TMT fanboy, it simply works fine for me on multiple machines (custom builds and Dells).

Quote:


In my opinion, going thru the proceedure you suggest should not be needed. There is obviously a virus signature in TMT. It is their choice to blame the AV company instead of finding and changing the signature in their own software. Turning off anti virus (as their tech support suggested) in order to play a movie is not an option as far as I am concerned, especially if the player is using the internet. What then protects the player form getting infected?

That's just an insane suggestion, as far as I am concerned.

Besides, it is not a question of TMT not running, it is a question of it not playing HD-DVD disks, or Bluray from a folder or even just HD mpgs,while it IS running. Other players do this on the exact same computers, so I don't agree that I should have to make a bunch of changes to the configs (especially to the registy as you suggest) in order to accommodate the shortcomings of a single piece of software.

Like I said before, you obviously didn't read anything, including my reply to you. I suggested turning off your antivirus just while you installed the program. No where did I say to turn it off while watching a movie. I seriously doubt that's what their tech support said also.

And who said anything about "make a bunch of changes to the configs"? And nowhere did I say make config changes to the registry, I simply said to delete all instances of Arcsoft from the registry. This is not rocket-science, especially if you know to make a back-up first.

Honestly, I think you're having a HDCP issue, since you say BD folders are greyed out. This is the first time I've read of someone having that particular issue.

btw, the reason some anti-virus programs warn you of a virus is because of the protection scheme used within TMT. I don't know if they chose that particular protection scheme for BD/HD-DVD support or for other reasons, but it is what it is. Just to note, my antivirus software never gave me a warning (NOD32).
post #3712 of 4430
Quote:
Originally Posted by stanglx View Post

Your stutter problems are more of a Disk I/O issue; you had major stutters... Most who complain like me are more of a VSync issue... No real major stutters but always seems off speed or not smooth..

I had similar issues with TMT v128 and vista x64 (at least according to your description). I found that setting the NVidia 9800GX2 control panel 'manage 3D settings' to vertical sync on fixed the problem.

I posted this previously and some wondered if the 3D settings had anything to do with playing BD (EVR rendering?). It seems they do, at least according to my experience.

I would get brief stutters every once in a while. It seemed that most of the time the frames were going out 'on time', but congestion somewhere in the computer would spoil it occasionally. Now TMT plays perfectly smooth.

To further support my congestion-in-the-computer theory, when I play MKV from BD in MPC-HC x64, I still get the occasional stutter. MPC-HC has a feature that will run it at above normal priority. When I switch the priority to high, the stutters go away.

This whole BD stutter-free at 24p has gotten to be quite the issue. Now, I can hardly watch SD at 60 Hz because my TV reveals the 3:2 pulldown and it looks horrible by comparison.
post #3713 of 4430
I will try forcing VSync...

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifespeed View Post

I had similar issues with TMT v128 and vista x64 (at least according to your description). I found that setting the NVidia 9800GX2 control panel 'manage 3D settings' to vertical sync on fixed the problem.

I posted this previously and some wondered if the 3D settings had anything to do with playing BD (EVR rendering?). It seems they do, at least according to my experience.

I would get brief stutters every once in a while. It seemed that most of the time the frames were going out 'on time', but congestion somewhere in the computer would spoil it occasionally. Now TMT plays perfectly smooth.

To further support my congestion-in-the-computer theory, when I play MKV from BD in MPC-HC x64, I still get the occasional stutter. MPC-HC has a feature that will run it at above normal priority. When I switch the priority to high, the stutters go away.

This whole BD stutter-free at 24p has gotten to be quite the issue. Now, I can hardly watch SD at 60 Hz because my TV reveals the 3:2 pulldown and it looks horrible by comparison.
post #3714 of 4430
Quote:


This whole BD stutter-free at 24p has gotten to be quite the issue. Now, I can hardly watch SD at 60 Hz because my TV reveals the 3:2 pulldown and it looks horrible by comparison.

Be careful what you wish for....
post #3715 of 4430
My TMT broke tonight...

I have the trial version, so my first question is how does TMT "stop" working when you have the trial - just in case that is the issue...

But the error I am getting, after the program starts but when I try to play a ripped bluray, is the popup that says

"Arcsoft Totalmedia Theatre has stopped working" Windows will close the program and notify your if a solution is found...etc..

This is on a radeon x1900 with cat 8.12 drivers.. Worked fine yesterday, now it just errors out.

I did take the latest updated from MS today, including the media center ones, etc. But TMT works fine on my upstairs nvidia htpc with those updates.

I tried uninstalling, with RevoUninstaller..... doesnt help.
post #3716 of 4430
My monitor can't display 24p; so I guess I am lucky my eyes are not sensitive enough to detect the 3:2 pulldown. Or maybe the Sony electronics are pretty good at smoothing it all over.
post #3717 of 4430
Quote:
Originally Posted by hifiaudio2 View Post

My TMT broke tonight...

I have the trial version, so my first question is how does TMT "stop" working when you have the trial - just in case that is the issue...

But the error I am getting, after the program starts but when I try to play a ripped bluray, is the popup that says

"Arcsoft Totalmedia Theatre has stopped working" Windows will close the program and notify your if a solution is found...etc..

This is on a radeon x1900 with cat 8.12 drivers.. Worked fine yesterday, now it just errors out.

I did take the latest updated from MS today, including the media center ones, etc. But TMT works fine on my upstairs nvidia htpc with those updates.

I tried uninstalling, with RevoUninstaller..... doesnt help.

The trial is a timed trial, 2 weeks I believe. That is why it stopped working.
post #3718 of 4430
ok - so this is a huge thread, so i'mm admit i only skimmed through and did some google searching!

PowerDVD which was workign fine for me for months finally packed in and now wont play anything, so have decided maybe I should try out TMT.

As I was happy with PDVD I havent been keeping updated with the development of TMT.

Some quick questions:

- Does TMT now support HW acceleration with ATI cards in Windows XP?

- Windows XP, ATI HD 2600, Video via DVI --> HDMI, Audio via SPDIF. Does anything there jump out at you as a problem?
post #3719 of 4430
Quote:
Originally Posted by genro View Post

The trial is a timed trial, 2 weeks I believe. That is why it stopped working.

Ok thanks... good to know... ill go buy it. I just figured it would give a message that the trial was over instead of just seeming like it was broken...
post #3720 of 4430
Quote:
Originally Posted by originalsnuffy View Post

My monitor can't display 24p; so I guess I am lucky my eyes are not sensitive enough to detect the 3:2 pulldown. Or maybe the Sony electronics are pretty good at smoothing it all over.

Or you don't have a point of reference as your monitor doesn't display 24p. If you have a large, 120 Hz LCD display that does 24p, and you watch a few movies with this setup, you'll see.

I didn't understand what all the fuss was about either. Until I got 24p working for awhile, then watched a DVD from film at 60 Hz.

Speaking of DVDs, is it possible to play these at 480p24? I have tried using MPC-HC x64, WMP11 x64, and TMT v128. They all stutter badly when played at 24 FPS. As most DVDs are sourced from film, shouldn't these play at 24p also?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Home Theater Computers
AVS › AVS Forum › Video Components › Home Theater Computers › Arcsoft TotalMedia Theatre