or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Gaming & Content Streaming › Digital Recorders (PVRs) General › 8300HDC and Cavalry 1TB eSATA drive
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

8300HDC and Cavalry 1TB eSATA drive

post #1 of 12
Thread Starter 
I bought a Cavalry 1tb CAXE3701T0 drive from buy.com for $229
and set it up (using the included eSATA cable) on my TimeWarner Scientific Atlanta 8300HDC (running the navigator OCAP software, I believe). Anyway, before I bought the drive I couldn't find any posts that reported that these two worked together, so I thought I'd report in. Also, FWIW, the mfg instructions from SA didn't work. Instead of powering the drive on and then powering the DVR, I had to power the DVR on, wait for it to fully boot and then fire up the eSATA drive. I was then prompted to format the drive, which took only 30 seconds or so. Only have had it running for around 12 hours now, recording every single show on Discovery HD theater just for the heck of it, and the drive is only showing 9% full. So far so good!

Edit: see my post below
post #2 of 12
Thread Starter 
d'oh, wrong forum. Can a mod move this to the HDTV recorder forum? Thanks!
post #3 of 12
It still running ok? Looking to do the exact same thing
post #4 of 12
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silmeron View Post

It still running ok? Looking to do the exact same thing

No it's not.

It crashes every 2 days with the drive plugged in.
post #5 of 12
Bummer - I've got the same problem. It gets to about 18% full and then crashes anytime it tries to record after that. I was getting some hitchiness in HD programming when it did work too. Shame.
post #6 of 12
Anyone has any experience with the "LaCie 1TB BIG Disk Extreme+ eSATA" drive?
Its specifications seem to meet (or exceed) the requirements specified by the 8300HDC e-manual from Scientific Atlanta web site.
  • SciAtl e-manual: External SATA II cable and connector; 7200RPM (or 5400RPM w/o multi-room - this is my configuration); 133 MB/sec
  • LaCie web site: External SATA (LaCie recommends this drive be used with LaCie SATA II PCI-X/Press eSATA card); 7200RPM; 3Gbits/sec (300MB/sec)
Reading your posts, I'm more concerned with the eSATA drive will eventually be "put out of service" by cable operator (may be by sending reset (periodic) signals to the 8300HDC, than the eSATA drive is incompatible with the 8300HDC unit.
post #7 of 12
Hi,

All is great for my first 3 hours!
Here are my equipments:
  • Comcast (Massachusetts - Previously Adelphia)
  • Scientific Atlanta 8300HDC DVR
  • acomdata PDHD1000USE-72 1TB 7200 RPM (from newegg.com for $163.99 with Free 3 Business Day Shipping)
  • Startech eSATA Cable - Black - ESATA6 (from buy.com for $24.95 include 2 Business Day Shipping)
Before the 1TB external SATA HDD is connected, I have recorded over 110GBs of HD programs on the built-in SA8300HDC HDD. The recorded space decreased from 70% to 10% once the 1TB is recognized by the SA8300HDC DVR.

I want to stress test the combination of SA8300HDC and 1TB HDD:
  • Huge number of hours of recorded HD programs
  • All recorded programs will remain in the 1TB HDD until I explicitly delete
  • Repeatedly play back recorded programs in random order
  • Keep scheduling more programs for future recordings
At this point, due to my limited time, I was able to schedule only about 24 hours of HD programs with the 1TB HD connected. Previously that would have been impossible.

Will report back with more info.
post #8 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by phamdinhnguyen View Post

Hi,

All is great for my first 3 hours!
Here are my equipments:
  • Comcast (Massachusetts - Previously Adelphia)
  • Scientific Atlanta 8300HDC DVR
  • acomdata PDHD1000USE-72 1TB 7200 RPM (from newegg.com for $163.99 with Free 3 Business Day Shipping)
  • Startech eSATA Cable - Black - ESATA6 (from buy.com for $24.95 include 2 Business Day Shipping)
Before the 1TB external SATA HDD is connected, I have recorded over 110GBs of HD programs on the built-in SA8300HDC HDD. The recorded space decreased from 70% to 10% once the 1TB is recognized by the SA8300HDC DVR.

I want to stress test the combination of SA8300HDC and 1TB HDD:
  • Huge number of hours of recorded HD programs
  • All recorded programs will remain in the 1TB HDD until I explicitly delete
  • Repeatedly play back recorded programs in random order
  • Keep scheduling more programs for future recordings
At this point, due to my limited time, I was able to schedule only about 24 hours of HD programs with the 1TB HD connected. Previously that would have been impossible.

Will report back with more info.

phamdinhnguyen

any updates on this drive. Newegg has it on sale and was thinking about it but wanted some confirmation that it worked without any glitches.

Thanks

Z
post #9 of 12
Hi guys, I'm new to this site and was wondering if anyone has had issues with the eSATA port on the 8300?

I connected an Acomdata (1 TB) drive to the eSATA port, but the box never even detected that a drive was connected.

I tried unplugging the 8300, then connected the eSATA cable to the 8300 and powered up the drive. After about five minutes (to ensure it was fully booted up), I plugged in the 8300. It boots up, but nothing more happens. I've waited as long as 30 minutes before turning on the 8300.

Then I tried having the PVR powered up while turning on the drive, but again - nothing.

I bought the PVR from Costco and it has a 320 GB internal drive. The SARA level is 1.89.22.2.

I verified that the drive works by plugging into my computer (using usb connection as my computer doesn't have an eSATA port). I could copy and delete files just fine.

Is it possible that the eSATA port on the 8300 is not active?

Anything else I can try?

Thanks,
John
post #10 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnvas View Post

I connected an Acomdata (1 TB) drive to the eSATA port, but the box never even detected that a drive was connected.

Try another drive/case. Some units just aren't recognized by the 8300. There is a user list database and a thread on this forum of what works or doesn't work, which I will post in the next link (we need 3 posts to include links). It does show some problems with acom.
post #11 of 12
post #12 of 12
Thanks for the info Doc.

I was thinking that I might try one of those Rogers PVR Expanders that is being sold at Bestbuy, just to prove whether the eSATA port is working properly or not.

Then probably return it and build my own as others have done...
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
AVS › AVS Forum › Gaming & Content Streaming › Digital Recorders (PVRs) General › 8300HDC and Cavalry 1TB eSATA drive