or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Blu-ray & HD DVD › HD DVD Players › Firmware 2.8 for A2/A20/XA2 out!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Firmware 2.8 for A2/A20/XA2 out! - Page 2

post #31 of 879
The Standard/Enhanced RGB setting works on my A-20 now. Standard outputs actual RGB Video levels over DVI. I'll try an A2 in the next few days.

I don't know if my IN72 projector accepts 1080/24, but I can't get any different response from changing the framerate from Auto to 1080/24hz. I would expect an "out of range" signal or something if it was indeed forcing it. I get 1080i either way.

Ad
post #32 of 879
I haven't played much after the firmware update to 2.8 on the XA2, but one thing that seems noticeably improved is the HD-DVD menu. It's a lot smoother when navigating through it. It seems the boot time has improved slightly, too, but I've not timed it to be certain.

So far, nothing seems to be broken on the XA2 from 2.7. I'll probably play with the analog 5.1 to see if the known bass management issue have been fixed.
post #33 of 879
XA2 owners, did you get a prompt after the 1st shutdown for another update? Had that with 2.7 but didnt get the prompt with 2.8 using a CD.
post #34 of 879
Quote:
Originally Posted by efjay View Post

XA2 owners, did you get a prompt after the 1st shutdown for another update? Had that with 2.7 but didnt get the prompt with 2.8 using a CD.

No, the update does not employ the two stage process like the 2.7 firmware did. The update is complete upon the first drawer opening accompanied with the power shutdown.
post #35 of 879
Quote:
Originally Posted by bitemymac View Post

So far, nothing seems to be broken on the XA2 from 2.7. I'll probably play with the analog 5.1 to see if the known bass management issue have been fixed.

Which 'bass management issue'?
post #36 of 879
Quote:
Originally Posted by MauneyM View Post

Which 'bass management issue'?

The BM issue that requires using the work around settings to get proper BM via analog 5.1?..

by setting SPDIF to PCM, HDMI to auto, and setting all the speaker size to small on the analog setting to get proper BM on analog 5.1.
post #37 of 879
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hughman View Post

No, the update does not employ the two stage process like the 2.7 firmware did. The update is complete upon the first drawer opening accompanied with the power shutdown.

Thanks, Toshiba still has the old instructions on their site, guess there is nothing to worry about then.

My impressions of the update: doesnt seem to do much on the surface, 1080p24 frame rate only seems to address HD DVD's and does not provide auto detection of SD DVD's. Didnt really detect any faster booting or loading time or any other improvements. Nothing seems to be broken so from that standpoint the upgrade is ok.
post #38 of 879
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hughman View Post

No, the update does not employ the two stage process like the 2.7 firmware did. The update is complete upon the first drawer opening accompanied with the power shutdown.

You went from 2.7 to 2.8. Anybody update their XA2 from an older firmware to 2.8?
post #39 of 879
Quote:
Originally Posted by primetimeguy View Post

I did the update on my A2 and checked the brightness pattern on HD DVE. Still does not pass BTB over HDMI-DVI like it does over component on my setup. I'll look more into it later tonight.

Please understand that not passing Below Black via HDMI is not necessarily the fault of the player. The important question is whether or not you have a black or white crush issue -- if not, then all is well.
Quote:
Originally Posted by adamwh View Post

The Standard/Enhanced RGB setting works on my A-20 now. Standard outputs actual RGB Video levels over DVI.

Yahoo! Glad to hear that !
post #40 of 879
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrevorS View Post

Please understand that not passing Below Black via HDMI is not necessarily the fault of the player. The important question is whether or not you have a black or white crush issue -- if not, then all is well.

Agree, that is why I said I needed to dig into it more.

And now I have, still the same issue. Changing the RGB setting does absolutely nothing for me, using Color HCFR for measurements.
post #41 of 879
Everyone, remember to re-initialize after a firmware update. This will set everything back to default so make a note of what your settings were prior to reinitializing the player.
post #42 of 879
Quote:
Originally Posted by bitemymac View Post

The BM issue that requires using the work around settings to get proper BM via analog 5.1?..

by setting SPDIF to PCM, HDMI to auto, and setting all the speaker size to small on the analog setting to get proper BM on analog 5.1.


1) BM works properly with only the center and surrounds set to 'Small' - you don't have to set them all to 'small'. [OK - I measured a ~1dB offset in the surrounds - not enough to matter once it's calibrated.]

2) The HDMI setting has not been shown to change BM behavior.

3) Why does the SPDIF setting matter? If they changed the manual to state that you had to have SPDIF set to PCM for BM to work, would it make any difference? [My point is that this is a set-it-once, calibrate-it, and forget-about-it setting.]
post #43 of 879
I am doing the online update on my HD-A2 now.
post #44 of 879
Quote:
Originally Posted by primetimeguy View Post

Agree, that is why I said I needed to dig into it more.

And now I have, still the same issue. Changing the RGB setting does absolutely nothing for me, using Color HCFR for measurements.

Is the player driving a DVI-D interface or an HDMI interface?
post #45 of 879
As of 20 minutes ago I was able to update via ethernet. 2.8 firmware adds another choice in the setup menu under picture. Now instead of just choosing the resolution setting at 1080p/24hz there is a separate one for just frame rate 1080p/24hz. I don't have a TV that accepts 24 hz yet (will be getting it early Feb) so I can't check it out.
post #46 of 879
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrevorS View Post

Is the player driving a DVI-D interface or an HDMI interface?

DVI on a Sony RP CRT.
post #47 of 879
Quote:
Originally Posted by primetimeguy View Post

Agree, that is why I said I needed to dig into it more.

And now I have, still the same issue. Changing the RGB setting does absolutely nothing for me, using Color HCFR for measurements.

u guys had my hopes up there for a few minutes.

ill have to give it a shot for my panny pjs dvi input; maybe ill get lucky!

it seems i read somewhere that whether the display is digital or not made a difference as to the hd-a2s rgb settings working properly with dvi input.

post #48 of 879
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunter844 View Post

I guess I'm not seeing the real advantages of getting the update for my A2. I don't ever use the web-enabled content and (knock on wood) haven't had any problems with discs playing.

If you plan on buying/renting future discs you may have problems with new AACS keys, etc. I kind of rolled my eyes when people who had older firmware updates complained of issues with Bourne Ultimatum and Balls of Fury.

Firmware updates are a way of life for Blu-Ray and HD DVD.
post #49 of 879
Quote:
Originally Posted by MidnightWatcher View Post

Everyone, remember to re-initialize after a firmware update. This will set everything back to default ...


Sorry if this is a dumb question, but why do we want to do this?
Thanks!
____
Axel
post #50 of 879
Quote:
Originally Posted by Axel View Post

Sorry if this is a dumb question, but why do we want to do this?
Thanks!
____
Axel

Think of it as like rebooting your computer. Sometimes this is needed to help with a quirk or two.
post #51 of 879
Quote:
Originally Posted by MidnightWatcher View Post

Think of it as like rebooting your computer. Sometimes this is needed to help with a quirk or two.

Got it - that's what I thought.
Thanks!
____
Axel
post #52 of 879
Quote:
Originally Posted by MidnightWatcher View Post

Everyone, remember to re-initialize after a firmware update. This will set everything back to default so make a note of what your settings were prior to reinitializing the player.

I haven't once had to do this after updating the firmware on my XA2.
post #53 of 879
The only thing I notice so far is that you can navigate through the main menu screen a lot faster and smoother for HD DVD's.
post #54 of 879
It appears forced 1080p24 has arrived.



I do not have a 1080p24 capable display to test its functionality. I hope this feature solves peoples' issues.
post #55 of 879
Quote:
Originally Posted by sharkcohen View Post

I haven't once had to do this after updating the firmware on my XA2.

Many won't, but some will. I think it's always a good idea and only takes a few seconds to do.
post #56 of 879
I tested my XA2 on HDMI: I still get REC601 instead of 709 on HDMI from the XA2 to my Westinghouse 42w2 LCD. Still not sure if it is a problem with the player, or the LCD. I get 709 from the XA2 on DVI.

So, I use the XA2 on DVI. The RGB Output Range setting now works. Now, when set to 'Enhanced', I finally see the horrible black crush that must be plaguing others on DVI. Apparently, I was correct that this hasn't been an issue for me.

No new issues with 2.8 so far for me. I do still need to watch some movies post update.
post #57 of 879
I'm still confused on the frame rate option. I have my player set at 1080p/24 for resolution setting, even though my Samsung 4661 1080p TV is not 24fps. I do not notice any problems with it set to this, but what do I do for frame rate? Should I put it to auto or 1080/24?
post #58 of 879
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ Matt View Post

I'm still confused on the frame rate option. I have my player set at 1080p/24 for resolution setting, even though my Samsung 4661 1080p TV is not 24fps. I do not notice any problems with it set to this, but what do I do for frame rate? Should I put it to auto or 1080/24?

Leave it on Auto. If setting Resolution Setting to 'Up to 1080p24' is giving you no issue on your 1080p60 display, then your player is properly negotiating 1080p60 with your display (you'd see the same behavior with it set to 'Up to 1080p'). I suspect you would get no display from the player if you change Frame Rate to 1080p24.
post #59 of 879
Quote:
Originally Posted by darryl b View Post

does this allow for forced 1080p/24Hz output?

yes on the XA2
post #60 of 879
Quote:
Originally Posted by efjay View Post

XA2 owners, did you get a prompt after the 1st shutdown for another update? Had that with 2.7 but didnt get the prompt with 2.8 using a CD.

I experienced that as well and I thought I did something wrong!
However 2.8 is loaded!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: HD DVD Players
AVS › AVS Forum › Blu-ray & HD DVD › HD DVD Players › Firmware 2.8 for A2/A20/XA2 out!