or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Display Calibration › ColorHCFR v2.0 Available...
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

ColorHCFR v2.0 Available... - Page 30

post #871 of 985
Quote:
Originally Posted by tpaxadpom View Post

I've got confused when you told me to take some measurements as targets for secondaries should be there to begin with (no need to run measurements).
Anyhow I feel better now as I'm not the only one missing them.

Do we have to register to post on the French web site? The worst case scenario we can use online translator. Since developers are fluent in English I think we can write in English on that forum.

I registered and posted over there a few days ago because I have been having a problem getting my EyeOne Monitor to work and did not receive any response from the HCFR team here in a couple weeks time. So far no response there either. I think they are very busy on other projects unfortunately.

At any rate I did register and post in English as the developers are English speaking. If you can an answer there on this please keep us posted. Note that there are a lot of forums there but specifically there is a HCFR section.
post #872 of 985
I can confirm that my one computer with Vista x64 does not show targets for secondaries. Other computers with XP x86 and Vista x86 does show all the targets.

This is obviosly some bug in the HCFR 2.10 version and 64-bit OS.
post #873 of 985
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnla View Post

Ummm no! CalMan does not load anything at all into the Enhanced Spyder3. The only thing that is done when you use a Enhanced Spyder3 in CalMan, is that CalMan has their own optimized settings that they run in the program for the Enhanced Spyder3's that they are selling. In other words, CalMan is setup to run with a Enhanced Spyder3, and NOT the other way around.

OK, so here's my REAL question. I'm interested, just in a curious person's way, in how much different the calibration would be using the Enhanced Spyder 3 from Spectracal using CalMan and then using ColorHCFR. I do know that when you first load up CalMan you have the option to load the enhanced calibration files for the Spyder3 before you start the calibration, and that custom calibration is what sets the Enhanced Spyder3 apart from a Spyder3 you can buy elsewhere.

So - very simply, would I lose some accuracy/capability if I use the Enhanced Spyder3 with ColorHCFR? Again, just wanting to be able to compare the two software approaches.
post #874 of 985
Actually, I think I just found out my answer from the SpectraCal web site:

"Because the Spyder3 lacks the hardware capability of holding the calibration table in the meter itself, CalMAN supplies the calibration table in software. "

"Note: Enhanced performance is only available in CalMAN. Used with any other application, you will get the same performance as with an ordinary Spyder3."

Well, crap. I wanted to do an apples to apples comparison using CalMan and ColorHCFR.
post #875 of 985
Quote:
Originally Posted by jefflackey View Post

Actually, I think I just found out my answer from the SpectraCal web site:

"Because the Spyder3 lacks the hardware capability of holding the calibration table in the meter itself, CalMAN supplies the calibration table in software. "

"Note: Enhanced performance is only available in CalMAN. Used with any other application, you will get the same performance as with an ordinary Spyder3."

Well, crap. I wanted to do an apples to apples comparison using CalMan and ColorHCFR.

If you're trying to compare dE's, there may be an option in CalMAN that lets you choose the same dE model used in ColorHCFR (CIELUV). I don't have CalMan, but just a thought.
post #876 of 985
Quote:
Originally Posted by PlasmaPZ80U View Post

If you're trying to compare dE's, there may be an option in CalMAN that lets you choose the same dE model used in ColorHCFR (CIELUV). I don't have CalMan, but just a thought.

Yes we do have a dEuv option
post #877 of 985
I there any plans on adding support for the X-Rite X1 Display LT in the MAC version of Color HCFR?
post #878 of 985
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Lebowski View Post

I can confirm that my one computer with Vista x64 does not show targets for secondaries. Other computers with XP x86 and Vista x86 does show all the targets.

This is obviosly some bug in the HCFR 2.10 version and 64-bit OS.

Yes, I can confirm I am seeing this too. Very strange. This is going to be somewhat troublesome the next time I need to calibrate my gamut.

I am trying to think of a work around. For instance, isn't there some way to have it plot a reference measure? So maybe we can sort of work around it by faking (hard coding via Editable data) a reference measure at the Rec 709 targets, and then have the reference showed overlayed on the gamut. Think that would work? Then we could at least see where the targets are for the secondaries.
post #879 of 985
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovingdvd View Post

Yes, I can confirm I am seeing this too. Very strange. This is going to be somewhat troublesome the next time I need to calibrate my gamut.

I am trying to think of a work around. For instance, isn't there some way to have it plot a reference measure? So maybe we can sort of work around it by faking (hard coding via Editable data) a reference measure at the Rec 709 targets, and then have the reference showed overlayed on the gamut. Think that would work? Then we could at least see where the targets are for the secondaries.

That absolutely would work. Open a new window in HCFR, click "editable data", enter the references, click "reference" and go back to your "working" window. The data you entered should be on the CIE chart.
post #880 of 985
Guys,

I remember seeing and using a pretty comprehensive step by step guide for ColorHCFR about a year ago or so, but I seem to have lost the link and the procedure. Anyone happen to know what site it was on?

Thanks,

Y2J
post #881 of 985
Quote:
Originally Posted by Y2JDMBFAN View Post

Guys,

I remember seeing and using a pretty comprehensive step by step guide for ColorHCFR about a year ago or so, but I seem to have lost the link and the procedure. Anyone happen to know what site it was on?

Thanks,

Y2J

Is this it? http://www.curtpalme.com/forum/viewt...asc&highlight=
post #882 of 985
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knd View Post

Is this it? http://www.curtpalme.com/forum/viewt...asc&highlight=

That's it...Thanks! Are there any known issues with that guide? I plan on using it as a stop gap until I can get my ISF guy out to calibrate my new KRP-600M, which I just ISF patched...
post #883 of 985
Quote:
Originally Posted by Y2JDMBFAN View Post

.... which I just ISF patched...

What is that? Please explain.
post #884 of 985
Quote:
Originally Posted by Disto View Post

What is that? Please explain.

Not sure how familiar you are with Pioneer displays...Put the Pioneer Elite panels have hidden ISF modes inside them, which you can unlock with a certain program called ControlCal made for the Pioneer displays. These ISF modes, Night, Day, and Auto, give you more adjustments, control, and generally alot better picture than Pure mode once they are dialed in. The KRP series does not have these modes enabled in the US versions, but they are in the versions out in the rest of the world. Someone came up with a program to patch the US versions so that you can enable these modes. Check the Pioneer KRP-500M/600M users forum in the Plasma section for more information...

Y2J
post #885 of 985
Hello,

Is there a way to see the DeltaE for primaries and secondaries, when in free measure mode?

Thank you.

Pitou!
post #886 of 985
Hello,

Just got an i1 Pro.

Now, measuring patterns below 40 IRE, result in very jumpy readings.

Do you recommend checking the "Average many reads on dark measurements" ?

Will it still be accurate?

Thanks.

Pitou!
post #887 of 985
Yes.
post #888 of 985
Great, thanks!
post #889 of 985
Is there a way to reset the table in Free Measure Mode? It seems to hold 250 points and then just updates point number 250 with the latest reading.

I've found that if I use continuous measures and use the Free Measure window, I can set a point more accurately by watching several readings.

I would like to be able to reset it without opening a new file if this is possible.

Thanks in advance.
post #890 of 985
Hmmm... not sure baout resetting, but the last time I played with HCFR, the continuous measures entered the new measures at the end, but scrolled all the previous measures back, so I was always looking at the last 10-20-30 measures...
post #891 of 985
Quote:
Originally Posted by glaufman View Post

Hmmm... not sure baout resetting, but the last time I played with HCFR, the continuous measures entered the new measures at the end, but scrolled all the previous measures back, so I was always looking at the last 10-20-30 measures...

Thanks. I thought that it ust updated the last reading and didn't realize that it was scolling the measures, so this will work for me.

Thanks again.
post #892 of 985
I posted this in the other Color HCFR thread earlier today and just noticed this thread now so I thought I would post my question here as well in an effort to expose my question to more people.

I had my Pioneer PRO-150FD calibrated this week and my calibrator was using HCFR and we were hoping to calibrate the gamma using the Pioneer's 9 point gamma adjustments but we could not figure out how to get the software to take real time measurements of the changes being made in the tv. For example we picked gamma point 5 and set the RGB controls to max and then to min and no change was picked up by the software in the screens he was using. Is there a set of instructions on how to use HCFR to calibrate the gamma? My gamma curve was a bit whacky in places and since the Pioneer has the controls to compensate for the off gamma curve I want to get that calibrated. I'm sure it's not hard once a person knows where to go in the software and what to do when there but for the life of us we couldn't figure it out.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks
post #893 of 985
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rod#S View Post

I posted this in the other Color HCFR thread earlier today and just noticed this thread now so I thought I would post my question here as well in an effort to expose my question to more people.

I had my Pioneer PRO-150FD calibrated this week and my calibrator was using HCFR and we were hoping to calibrate the gamma using the Pioneer's 9 point gamma adjustments but we could not figure out how to get the software to take real time measurements of the changes being made in the tv. For example we picked gamma point 5 and set the RGB controls to max and then to min and no change was picked up by the software in the screens he was using. Is there a set of instructions on how to use HCFR to calibrate the gamma? My gamma curve was a bit whacky in places and since the Pioneer has the controls to compensate for the off gamma curve I want to get that calibrated. I'm sure it's not hard once a person knows where to go in the software and what to do when there but for the life of us we couldn't figure it out.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks

You can't measure gamma from a single point since it is a measured difference or relationship between two points. Make some tweaks and run through the grayscale measurements again to see the effects of your changes.

Now that I think about it that is not really true, it is a relationship of the input to the output so I would think you could have a gamma at one point. Limitation of HCFR maybe?
post #894 of 985
Quote:
Originally Posted by primetimeguy View Post

You can't measure gamma from a single point since it is a measured difference or relationship between two points. Make some tweaks and run through the grayscale measurements again to see the effects of your changes.

Now that I think about it that is not really true, it is a relationship of the input to the output so I would think you good gave a gamma at one point. Limitation of HCFR maybe?

Thanks for the response. When I was playing with the RGB controls for Gamma point 5 in my tv we seen no change to the gray scale (RGB) values, primaries, secondaries or luminance. It was really odd. By maxing the 3 values out and then completely minimizing them we expected to see some kind of change somewhere but got no response. It would be really disappointing if HCFR can not be used with my tv to nail down the gamma considering it has 9 separate adjustable gamma points, each with a RGB value.
post #895 of 985
I have a couple of questions about the built in pattern generator.

1) If I own a laptop (or PC) that outputs HDMI, I could connect to the display via HDMI, have the probe connected via USB. I then hit measure gray scale as an example, and the software will display a 0 IRE pattern, take a measurement (and wait until it is finished (even if averaging low readings)), and then automatically move to the 10, 20, etc until completed? (No more chapter advancing through the DVD?).
2) Can you use near white readings and near black readings to set contrast and brightness, or are pluge patterns better for this?

As you can tell from the questions I'm still just scratching the surface of what this software is capable of.
post #896 of 985
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knd View Post

I have a couple of questions about the built in pattern generator.

1) If I own a laptop (or PC) that outputs HDMI, I could connect to the display via HDMI, have the probe connected via USB. I then hit measure gray scale as an example, and the software will display a 0 IRE pattern, take a measurement (and wait until it is finished (even if averaging low readings)), and then automatically move to the 10, 20, etc until completed? (No more chapter advancing through the DVD?).

Technically you can, but it's not advisable unless you can guarantee that your video card isn't doing anything to the signal.
Quote:


2) Can you use near white readings and near black readings to set contrast and brightness, or are pluge patterns better for this?

Pluge is better, and for contrast also make sure there's no eyestrain or color shift.
EDIT: actually HCFR has patterns specifically for setting brightness and contrast.
post #897 of 985
Quote:
Originally Posted by glaufman View Post

Technically you can, but it's not advisable unless you can guarantee that your video card isn't doing anything to the signal.

Pluge is better, and for contrast also make sure there's no eyestrain or color shift.
EDIT: actually HCFR has patterns specifically for setting brightness and contrast.

Thanks. I thought I would try this, this weekend with my wife's laptop that has HDMI out, and compare it to the AVSHD disc.
post #898 of 985
I've run into a very odd issue.

I'm trying to use this guide for calibrating my LH90 with an eye one LT:

http://www.curtpalme.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=10457

I can take 10 point readings and it seems to give me a valid graph (or at least one I can change my modifying my TV values.

However, when I try to do continuous measurements, I run into something strange.

On any IRE pattern, 10 through 100, field or window, the RGB graph in the bottom left doesn't respond how I think it should. Basically, any grayscale measurement I take shows ~ 120% green, 90% blue, and - (that's NEGATIVE) 15% red. Additionally, changing my RGB values doesn't do much to alter the x/y values like the guide says it should.

If I show a 100% red screen, the RGB graph shows 196% red, 86% green, and -5% blue.

Any ideas as to what's going on? Is it a software bug or is the eye one borked?
post #899 of 985
On the Gamma issue, gamma is one of the most misunderstood parameter of a display's performance.

As stated earlier, gamma is a curve referencing a number of points that indicate the way a screen will react with a given signal level(it goes back to CRT days).

However when you adjust one point on a gamma curve you are effecting the luminance or brightness of the signal at that point.

So you need to watch the luminance level or Y on the meter/software then do what is in effect a gamma sweep to check.
post #900 of 985
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knd View Post
Thanks. I thought I would try this, this weekend with my wife's laptop that has HDMI out, and compare it to the AVSHD disc.
I have run 2 sets of comparison's between AVSHD and view images in HCFR. I was using my fp, Epson 6500 on a 118" Carada BW screen with an i1 Pro meter.

I ran gray scale, primaries and secondaries using and ACER timeline laptop with HDMI out and got good correlation between the 2 sources only one dE between the gray scale readings was above 4 (40 IRE gray scale dE to reference 6). The average dE from 20 to 100 IRE to reference (AVSHD) is 1.7. For primaries and secondaries the highest dE was Cyan at 4.2. The average for these 6 colors verses the reference is 2.5.
I ran gray scale, primaries and secondaries, near white (11 point) and saturations (30 readings) using a Dell E6400 via displayport to HDMI. The results were:
1) Gray scale max dE between 20- 100 IRE was 10 (20 IRE), but I think this was suspect because of the low light conditions. The max between 30 - 100 IRE was 2.0 (50 IRE). The average dE to reference was (30-100) 1.0.
2) Primaries and secondaries, max dE to reference was 5.1 (green) with the average being 2.3.
3) Near white had a max dE to reference of 1.3 with an average of 1.
4) Saturation were not close for any of the 6 colors at any saturation level (0, 25, 50, 75 or 100%).

I think the pattern generator within HCFR works very well for gray scale and near white, using a laptop via HDMI and quite well for primaries and secondaries. What do you think?

It doesn't seem to be accurate for saturations. Anyone have any idea why? Do I need to set 0-255 for these readings?

 

Acer HDMI.zip 59.53125k . file

 

Dell E6400 HDMI.zip 33.38671875k . file
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Display Calibration
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Display Calibration › ColorHCFR v2.0 Available...