or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Surround Music Formats › Possible King Crimson in surround
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Possible King Crimson in surround - Page 3

post #61 of 445
Just got an email from DGM including info about the release date for the first batch of 5.1 mixes:
"Why do we need more space?", you may ask...and one exciting reason is the forthcoming release of the KC catalogue as 5.1 remixes! These are currently being remastered by Steve Wilson of the Porcupine Tree. We will begin with 'Lizard' and 'Red' in June, gearing for a special celebratory release of 'In The Court' in October for its 40th Anniversary.
post #62 of 445
Yow! This is great!
post #63 of 445
Just got the 3rd Genesis box in SACD, now I have something else to save my pennies for!
post #64 of 445
So it's not coming until June? I'm disappointed. That's a damn far cry from March...
post #65 of 445
Got this email last night from DGM:

"Dear friends,

For those seeing this twice, our apologies....problems with the initial transmission.

Try as we might we don't always get everything right.

For example, in our most recent newsletter where we mentioned the forthcoming King Crimson 5.1 Surround Sound Remixes, we referred to Steven Wilson as being responsible for "remastering", when of course, as anyone who has been reading Robert's diary entries in recent months knows, he's the man responsible for remixing all of the albums from the original multi-track tapes. Come to think of it, if he wasn't so busy with a recently released (& highly recommended) solo album 'Insurgentes', ongoing commitments to Porcupine Tree and about a zillion other projects, we might have asked him to do the mastering as well... but we wouldn't want to appear greedy with the man's time.

As mentioned, we are hoping to unleash the first results of the 5.1 surround remixes in June. Plans for Lizard & Red are being finalized just about now. According to those lucky few who have hear the material the results are stunning.

Stay tuned to www.dgmlive.com for regular news updates.

Sincerely,

The DGM Shop Team"



larry
post #66 of 445
For those of you who dig "In The Court...", some potentially exciting news from Mr. Fripp's March 16 diary entry:

And what’s the future-good news? Steven Wilson is at Wilson World HQ mixing ITCOTCK in 5.1 & has reported the discovery of several outtakes.

It’s a beautiful day.
post #67 of 445
Thrak is the album I would love to see given the 5.1 treatment. What with the double-trio format of this version of KC. Even the regular stereo version is a very interesting headphone listen. A 5.1 mix would really open things up.
post #68 of 445
I agree, but man, the idea of some outtakes or lost B-sides from the original lineup is just plain mouth-watering.
post #69 of 445
I'm salivating.
post #70 of 445
Well, tomorrow is June 1st. does anyone have any info on the release of Red and Lizard, yet? I can't find anything on Google.
post #71 of 445
The May 15th entry in Fripp's online diary indicated they were still working on the 2 channel mix of Lizard. I haven't noticed any other updates since then. So I'm guessing the release may be delayed.

You can keep abreast by reading Fripp's diary here: http://www.dgmlive.com/
post #72 of 445
i really hope this covers all 13 studio albums, like stated above THRAK is amazing and would benefit greatly with surround, even Power to Believe and ConstuKtion of Light would be good. Im probably mostly excited about the Wetton era stuff, so its great to hear Red should be one of the first released, probably my favorite of that era with Starless and Bible Black being a very close second. I only have six of their HDCD remasters so this will be great to finally complete my collection, and i will gladly double dip the ones i already have.

I can not wait to get my hands on these.
post #73 of 445
http://www.dgmlive.com/diaries.htm?a...=3&entry=14946

his most recent diary says In the Curt of the Crimson King and Lizard are finished. Cant wait to have release dates, he should hurry up.

Also interesting to note is that he says Super Audio Mastering looks like these will be on SACDs not DVD-As like Steve Wilson normally prefers, but i guess its probably Robert Fripps decision what they eventually get released on.
post #74 of 445
I'm not suprised that these are SACDs even given Steve Wilson's past work.
DVD-A is so rare now.
Just glad that these seem to be progressing to a final release
post #75 of 445
SACD's?
Twaddle. Absolute rubbish.
I don't know how these stories get started, but these albums are to be DVDA/V.
Why? Simply because DVDA-V is the universal format that plays on all DVD players installed, gives Hi Res fans the lossless and plays in one form or another for everyone.
post #76 of 445
Quote:
Originally Posted by squall4008 View Post

http://www.dgmlive.com/diaries.htm?a...=3&entry=14946
Also interesting to note is that he says Super Audio Mastering looks like these will be on SACDs not DVD-As like Steve Wilson normally prefers, but i guess its probably Robert Fripps decision what they eventually get released on.

the way it's written in the blog, it looks like an address and nothing to do with the format...
post #77 of 445
Quote:
Originally Posted by neil wilkes View Post

SACD's?
Twaddle. Absolute rubbish.
I don't know how these stories get started, but these albums are to be DVDA/V.
Why? Simply because DVDA-V is the universal format that plays on all DVD players installed, gives Hi Res fans the lossless and plays in one form or another for everyone.

When I first read that they were being mastered at the studio called "Super Audio Mastering" I also thought that the poster may have taken a leap of faith to assume SACD. But Super Audio Mastering does indeed seem to focus more on SACD, according to their website, so I thought maybe it was indeed the case that they will be SACDs.

See http://www.superaudiomastering.com/

But if you say DVD-A, who am I to say you're wrong?

Either way I'll be happy, but I agree that DVD-A (with DVD-V content for the masses) is the preferred delivery format, IMHO.

shinksma
post #78 of 445
Bring them on in any format! Lzard will be AMAZING!!!!
post #79 of 445
Quote:
Originally Posted by shinksma View Post

When I first read that they were being mastered at the studio called "Super Audio Mastering" I also thought that the poster may have taken a leap of faith to assume SACD. But Super Audio Mastering does indeed seem to focus more on SACD, according to their website, so I thought maybe it was indeed the case that they will be SACDs.

See http://www.superaudiomastering.com/

But if you say DVD-A, who am I to say you're wrong?

Either way I'll be happy, but I agree that DVD-A (with DVD-V content for the masses) is the preferred delivery format, IMHO.

shinksma

The Eno remasters from a few years ago were remastered in DSD at Super Audio Mastering, and based upon that, there was hope that they'd be SACDs. However, the label decided to take the less expensive route and released them as regular CDs instead.

Doug
post #80 of 445
Bring 'em on! Either format, I'm ready.

larry
post #81 of 445
Doh! I interpreted the OP's post of super audio mastering to be a term refering to the process not the name of a company.
I personally would prefer DVD-A but will gladly buy SACDs

It is also evident from the company's website that their primary focus is indeed SACD.
I guess we'll see.
Hopefully soon.
post #82 of 445
Quote:
Originally Posted by neil wilkes View Post

SACD's?
Twaddle. Absolute rubbish.
I don't know how these stories get started, but these albums are to be DVDA/V.
Why? Simply because DVDA-V is the universal format that plays on all DVD players installed, gives Hi Res fans the lossless and plays in one form or another for everyone.

I may have jumped the gun, i did assume Super Audio Mastering meant for SACD but as other posters have pointed out that company appears to master in DSD/make SACDs. The only reason i really see for it to be on DVD-A would be Steve Wilson's involvement, which as i understand it is quite minuscule and i think hes only working on ITCOTCK, but im not sure about that. I would assume though that it would be up to either Robert Fripp or DGM to make the final call on what format its released on.

Either way i doubt these will really sell a whole bunch or really reach everyone. Of all of the major pioneering prog rock groups from the 60s/70s King Crimson seems to be the least known. Im talking about in comparison to The Moody Blues, Yes, ELP and other large groups like that though. I think they have probably been the most influential out of all of those groups though for more recent groups like Dream Theater BTBAM and what not, so thats cool because King Crimson is probably my favorite band of all time. But, bottom line is not too many people really know a whole lot about them and listen to them a lot to go beyond ITCOTCK that arent really into prog rock, so already it looks like they wont sell a lot. Add to that that they are hi-res releases, DVD-A or SACD doesnt matter, neither sell. They wont be in B&M stores, the only hi-res releases still in B&M stores are left overs from years ago or ones packed in with CDs like Insurgents, Love, Lightbulb Sun and Stupid Dream. I really wouldnt be surprised if these were only sold through DGM Mail Order. All of this is very unfortunate because more people should listen to King Crimson, but more kudos to Robert Fripp and DGM for making this happen when they know they wont sell a lot.
post #83 of 445
Quote:
Originally Posted by PooperScooper View Post

Bring 'em on! Either format, I'm ready.

larry

right on!!
post #84 of 445
Quote:
Originally Posted by squall4008 View Post

Either way i doubt these will really sell a whole bunch or really reach everyone. Of all of the major pioneering prog rock groups from the 60s/70s King Crimson seems to be the least known. Im talking about in comparison to The Moody Blues, Yes, ELP and other large groups like that though.

While those other groups are more household names, I doubt that most people who listened to them in the 70s would still spend much money on their releases. However, it seems like Crimson has the most hardcore following, and hopefully Fripp has figured that whatever format these releases will be, will sell enough for it to be worth the effort.

Doug
post #85 of 445
post #86 of 445
And here's the announcement on the Steven Wilson website:
http://www.swhq.co.uk/news.cfm#149

Quote:


DGM have announced details of the first 3 reissues in the revamping of the King Crimson back catalogue, to be released in September and October as CD/DVDA editions. SW has been working on these on and off over the last year, restoring the multi-track tapes from the best possible sources, remixing the albums into 5.1 surround sound, mixing unreleased tracks and alternate takes from the master tapes for the first time, and in some cases also creating brand new stereo mixes which enhance the sonics of the originals significantly. All of this work has been personally overseen by Robert Fripp, who also took part in the stereo remixing. The first 3 titles are Red, In the Court of the Crimson King (released as close to the exact 40th anniversary of its original release as possible), and Lizard. For those that have never considered the latter to be a significant part of the KC catalogue, the 5.1 version is a revelation!

Full details of all these releases (except for the multi disc box set version of In the Court of the Crimson King, for which details are still to be decided) are on the DGM website.

It's DVD-A after all. Yay!

Oh, and if anyone finds a place you can pre-order these discs, please share. Can't find them anywhere yet, but they're bound to pop up within the next few days...
post #87 of 445
Amazon US has Red posted for pre-order with release date of 9/22/09.
No pic, no details but the price is $32.99.
As a fan primarily of the later stuff, I'm obligated to get all of them.
There are details of the ITCOTCK box set on the DGM site.
I just pray we get them all.

Between NY Archives, The Beatles Mono Set and King Crimson.
I'm one broke boy.
post #88 of 445
Excellent news!! Lizard was already a well recorded and engineered disc. Can't wait for the new one!

larry
post #89 of 445
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milt99 View Post

Amazon US has Red posted for pre-order with release date of 9/22/09.
No pic, no details but the price is $32.99.
As a fan primarily of the later stuff, I'm obligated to get all of them.
There are details of the ITCOTCK box set on the DGM site.
I just pray we get them all.

Between NY Archives, The Beatles Mono Set and King Crimson.
I'm one broke boy.

This is going to break my budget but I must have them.
post #90 of 445
4 Disc ITCOCK !!!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Surround Music Formats
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Surround Music Formats › Possible King Crimson in surround