or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers › Want advice on what sub to purchase? Please read this before posting...
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Want advice on what sub to purchase? Please read this before posting...

post #1 of 283
Thread Starter 
Having waded through post after post of people seeking advice regarding the purchase of a new sub, responding with good ideas, and being told time and time again "that's too expensive," "that thing is huge," etc, I think it's time to give some guidelines as to the information that should be provided by anyone in search of assistance before purchasing a subwoofer. Here's a short list that can help immensely, both in keeping threads less cluttered, as well as helping OP's get the information and opinions they desire more quickly:


Before anything else...

Search the forum. Chances are, your question regarding "this sub vs. that sub" has already been asked, discussed, chewed, and spat out hundreds of times already. Try to search the forums and see if you can get a good amount of information that way. If you still want personal advice, feel free to make new threads, but the search function is a wonderful thing



If you still seek more guidance after you have exhausted the AVS Subwoofer Forum Archives, then proceed to begin a thread with the following criteria answered as fully as possible.

1. Your budget. This seems like an obvious thing to state when seeking advice, but many people neglect to mention this anywhere. If you have a budget of $200 but don't mention this and say you want awesome performance, you'll be getting a lot of suggestions for PB13 Ultras, Conquests, F113's, etc. Please cut down the frustration for everyone and simply state a budget range, preferably making it clear to those who desire to help you whether or not this budget includes shipping and taxes

2. Size requirements/limits. If you say you have a $700 budget but fail to inform us that you need a 10" cube form factor, you can rest assured you'll be receiving recommendations for Epik Knights, eD A5-350's, MFW-15's, etc, none of which will come anywhere close to meeting your need for a tiny box. When size matters, please say so!

3. Room dimensions. If you have a 10,000 cubic foot room and a $150 budget, chances are we can't help much. Still, room dimensions can make a big impact on recommendations. Small subs like the SVS SB12 Plus are great subs for music and pretty good for HT, but they'll prove to be insufficient in huge rooms.

4. Primary uses. Given a certain budget, one sub might be a better choice for HT, while another might be a better sub for music. Of course quality subs can do both well. Still, giving an estimate of usage (example: 60% HT/TV viewing, 30% music, 10% gaming) will help others give better recommendations.

5. Listening habits. Listening habits can dictate what sub you'll need. Many AVS members are a bit excessive with their bass requirements and desires (myself included). However, not everyone needs two Epik Conquests in their 2500 cubic foot room. If you realistically won't be listening at really high volumes, say so. On the other hand, if you like to watch concert DVDs at SPL levels that make live concerts seem tame by comparison, we need to know that too.

6. Appearance requirements. Some people have no problem putting a huge box with a rough, black cabinet in their dedicated home theater. Others need a nicely finished cabinet to fit well in the family room. Please make any aesthetic requirements known so those giving advice will be better able to assist you.

7. Timeframe. There are many new subwoofer manufacturers that sell direct over the internet and have enjoyed extremely high popularity in a very short time span. Unfortunately, this has caused severe backorders on their products, as they have not been able to keep up with demand. Try to let us know if getting the sub right away is a priority, as it might affect the suggestions you receive depending on whether or not certain companies are backlogged.





Hopefully these guidelines can help to streamline subwoofer suggestions here on AVS. Anyone with additional ideas, feel free to give input as well. Thanks.
post #2 of 283
Great post! This should be a sticky, and we also need an 'information to include when seeking advice on speakers' sticky as well.

Oh, and add a #6: SEARCH the forum before starting another 'what speakers should I buy' thread.
post #3 of 283
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by deneb View Post

Great post! This should be a sticky, and we also need an 'information to include when seeking advice on speakers' sticky as well.

Oh, and add a #6: SEARCH the forum before starting another 'what speakers should I buy' thread.

Added...thanks
post #4 of 283
Those are all pieces of excellent advice. There is one more item I would add:

6. Appearance requirements. Do you require that your sub has a furniture-like appearance or not? This can obviously make a difference when choosing between something like an Epik or a eD versus, let's say, an SVS or a JL.
post #5 of 283
Great idea lakers. I also agree that this should be a sticky.
post #6 of 283
To help catch the attention of newbies looking for advice, change the thread title to "Need a speaker/subwoofer recommendation? READ THIS FIRST!" - maybe title the stickies for speaker and sub recommendations that way.
post #7 of 283
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by mojomike View Post

Those are all pieces of excellent advice. There is one more item I would add:

6. Appearance requirements. Do you require that your sub has a furniture-like appearance or not? This can obviously make a difference when choosing between something like an Epik or a eD versus, let's say, an SVS or a JL.

Added...thanks
post #8 of 283
Stephen, If I was were still teaching I would have given you an A. Your comments were creative, and detailed, which certainly helped emphasize the point that you were trying to make. Hopefully we can save this as a sticky thread for new members, reducing the redundancy of all those posts that keep being displayed.

Ian
post #9 of 283
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by mailiang View Post

Stephen, If I was were still teaching I would have given you an A. Your comments were creative, and detailed, which certainly helped emphasize the point that you were trying to make. Hopefully we can save this as a sticky thread for new members, reducing the redundancy of all those posts that keep being displayed.

Ian

I'm hoping it becomes a sticky too - that's really why I made it. Glad to see others think so as well. I think this forum is a great place where tons of people with a wealth of knowledge can come and share ideas with each other. I've just grown a bit tired of threads that begin something like this:

"I need a new sub. Any suggestions?"

It seems after every first post, five other people have to reply to ask more specific questions about what the OP wants, needs, or can even consider. If OP's would take the time to address most if not all of the criteria listed in this thread, it would save everyone a lot of time (OP's included!) It sounds like win-win to me . Of course most of us wouldn't look nearly so astute and knowledgeable, as our post counts would all be around 100 .

Thanks for the compliment too, Ian. Always such a nice guy .
post #10 of 283
Great thread, maybe a little asterisk at the end of your post to state....If one follows the above sequence, one will nearly have all the information to determine the correct sub for themselves and not require starting a thread asking for help.
post #11 of 283
Yes, this definitely needs to be stickied! One in the subwoofer forum, and one (appropriately tweaked) in the speaker forum.
post #12 of 283
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by mather View Post

Great thread, maybe a little asterisk at the end of your post to state....If one follows the above sequence, one will nearly have all the information to determine the correct sub for themselves and not require starting a thread asking for help.

But then how are we to look smarter than we really are by regurgitating the same information over and over again and having thousands of posts under our user names?

Good point, BTW!
post #13 of 283
Hopefully I tackled most of the requisite parameters without being prompted!
post #14 of 283
One clarification I would make is that in place of a budget range, I'd just call it something like Maximum cost including taxes and shipping. We've all seen how every time a budget is mentioned, the max limit is immediately spent anyway, so let's just be grown up about it.

... definitely sticky this thread. Great idea lalakersfan34!


Tim
post #15 of 283
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by OvalNut View Post

One clarification I would make is that in place of a budget range, I'd just call it something like Maximum cost including taxes and shipping. We've all seen how every time a budget is mentioned, the max limit is immediately spent anyway, so let's just be grown up about it.

... definitely sticky this thread. Great idea lalakersfan34!


Tim

Good point...I almost did that already, and your recommendation gave me the incentive to change it. Done
post #16 of 283
post #17 of 283
One more suggestion: post a link to the current Craigsub ranking page- it'll help give people a better idea of how different subs compare to each other. It seems like half of the newbie threads can be solved with just that link.

Subwoofer Rankings: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...36#post9164136
post #18 of 283
very nice sleeper
post #19 of 283
Thread Starter 
Wonder if the mods would be so kind as to sticky this thread?
post #20 of 283
+1 for sticky
post #21 of 283
Great idea and I agree that this should be a sticky.
post #22 of 283
Quote:
Originally Posted by lalakersfan34 View Post

Wonder if the mods would be so kind as to sticky this thread?

Seems like you got your wish. Congratulations Stephen!


Ian
post #23 of 283
Hey lalakersfan, do you think you could edit your original post to be applicable to speakers, or would you mind if someone else did? I.e. change the subwoofers you mention to speakers, etc. We really need a sticky covering this in the speaker forum as well.
post #24 of 283
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by deneb View Post

Hey lalakersfan, do you think you could edit your original post to be applicable to speakers, or would you mind if someone else did? I.e. change the subwoofers you mention to speakers, etc. We really need a sticky covering this in the speaker forum as well.

As long as you pay me my royalty fees, feel free to do whatever you like
post #25 of 283
Quote:
Originally Posted by lalakersfan34 View Post

As long as you pay me my royalty fees, feel free to do whatever you like






Ian
post #26 of 283
Lalakersfan, I just though of another possible item for you nearly complete list:

Timeframe: Many subs can be bought immediatly or within a few days, while other may be back-ordered for several months. How soon do you need it?
post #27 of 283
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by mojomike View Post

Lalakersfan, I just though of another possible item for you nearly complete list:

Timeframe: Many subs can be bought immediatly or within a few days, while other may be back-ordered for several months. How soon do you need it?

Great idea. I added it now, thanks
post #28 of 283
Thanks
post #29 of 283
Looking to replace my now dead Infinity BU1 powered subwoofer for my home theater setup. The BU1 was a 50 Watt 8" cone sub with 45 to 150 Hz freq response with 50-150 Hz crossover freq

Here is my info to help you recommend a good replacement for me:

I would like to upgrade to a 10" size cone sub from the 8" BU1. I dont think I need a 12" cone sub and dont think I (my wife really) can tolerate such a huge thing, but you guys tell me after looking at my specs below

Budget - limited as I just spent a load of cash on the rest of my system (see below) so I would say between $250 to $350

Color/quality - want a black sub to match the rest of my equipment and not be too huge

Room Size - 15 ft wide (left to right when looking at TV) x 26 ft long front wall to back wall, with vaulted ceilings

Distance from Sub to main listening areas - 13 to 15 ft

Listening ratio : 75% TV/Movies and 25% music

I dont need the music or movies at reference level but want to enjoy them at decent loudness levels when possible but mainly it will be normal levels

Music types I enjoy the most - Rock / Metal / Jazz / Pop
Movies - Drama / Action and Concert DVDs

My equipment list:
Panasonic TH50PZ700U plasma TV
Onkyo TXSR705 receiver (with the advanced HD codes decoding capability)
Pansonic DMPBD30 BluRay Player
Sony PS3
5 disc CD player
DirecTV Satellite TV (SDef now but soon to be HiDef)

Current Speakers 5.1 system -

- Infinity CC-2 Center Channel (10-100 watts; 90 to 20,000 Hz freq resp, xover 3,000 Hzl 110 db max output)
- Infinity Reference Series 2000.2 L/R surrounds (15 to 100 Watts; 50 to 20,000 Hz freq resp)
- JBL G300 main front L/R speakers (10 to 80 watts; 50 to 20,000 Hz freq resp; 600 Hz x-ove; 3 way with 8" woofer)
- and the dead BU1 needing replacement
No rear L/R for 7.1 yet

A few in other groups have suggested SVS or or HSU

I appreciate any and all suggestions
post #30 of 283
What about placement... would that affect which subwoofer to buy (ie i want to put it directly under my tv, vs off to the side a little, vs elsewhere) or would that warrant its own thread?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers › Want advice on what sub to purchase? Please read this before posting...