Originally Posted by jordanzelda23
I am buying a 58" Samsung Plasma by the end of the month and am wanting to pair a nice sound setup to go along with it.
I am going to buy an Onkyo 605 Receiver.
I see that the HT-88's are going for a really good price right now on their Ebay site. I think I am going to buy these as well as the H-100 sub. I am all about bang for the buck and am do not want to exceed much over $1000 for my sound setup. Do you think The HT-88's and H-100 Sub are the best for the price range I am considering? From what I have read they are.
I do have some questions though.
1. I really want to buy the HT-85 Center as well, but am not sure where to put it since it is so large. I guess my only option is to mount it above the TV (TV is not mounted). But then I will have to run the wires behind the wall, which I didn't really want to do. I recently bought a TV stand that has a built in speaker shelf and the dimensions are 5.7 X 16.6. Could I possibly pair another center channel that would sound just as good as the HT-85, but fit within these dimensions?
2. I am not sure if I am going to get surrounds yet because my living room is a weird layout and I'm not sure where to set them. If I were going to get surrounds later on, and didn't get BIC acoustec brand, would it still sound alright even if they weren't horn speakers?
3. Do I have to buy speaker wire or will it come with the speakers? If I do have to buy separate is there a specific kind or is all speaker wire the same? Sorry, I'm a speaker noob.
4. What is the main difference in the HT-88's and HT-75's? Just deeper base? Would I even notice the difference since I am pairing the H-100 sub with them?
The ebay deal right now is excellent for the HT85s and 88s, excellent bang for the buck IMHO. If I hadn't just bought 75s and a 65 then I'd likely jump on this.
1. Everything I've ever heard says you absolutely want to match your fronts and center or it throws off your soundstage. Especially w/ a system like these that use horns I doubt you would want a center w/ a dome tweeter.
2. I'd like to know this myself actually since I don't have surrounds right now
3. They don't come w/ speaker wire. Just go to monoprice.com and pick some up, 14 or 16 guage will be fine for the short distances between the receiver and the center/fronts.
4. Dunno, I do know the 88s and 85 use 8" drivers as opposed to 6.5" for the 75/65 series.