or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Speakers › BIC Acoustech Owners Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

BIC Acoustech Owners Thread - Page 12

post #331 of 4576
during audysey setup, it gives you the choice of large or small speaker size...

set to small..
all I did was search the onkyo threads for "set to small" took about 90 seconds
post #332 of 4576
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1brokebrother View Post

during audysey setup, it gives you the choice of large or small speaker size...

set to small..
all I did was search the onkyo threads for "set to small" took about 90 seconds

The newer Onkyos don't have small and large in Audyssey.

Large = Full Band
Small = any crossover setting
Full Band with Double Bass on = Bass handled by the speakers and the sub.
post #333 of 4576
Quote:
Originally Posted by dboss View Post


I placed a call to BIC last night and left a voicemail so I'm just waiting to hear back from them. The lady of the house contacted our dealer, SoundDistributor's, and they were not at all helpful. They basically insisted it was the receiver set-up, without ever really hearing the things we had tried to rectify the problem, and then just said to call the manufacturer if you think its the sub. I wouldn't normally have a problem with this, but when your repairs and returns policy says they'll handle the problem and they don't want any involvement that really ticks me off.

While it stinks that there may be a problem, BIC is supposedly good and quick w taking care of any issues. Hopefully everything works out.
post #334 of 4576
I finally got my a2-300, and I gotta say if you are looking for something a bit more powerful than the H100, the A2 does the trick quite nicely. It blends in really well with the Acoustechs, and literally shakes the house if you want it to.

Surprisingly, the HT-88's have done a very good job with bass on their own when I was missing a sub for a month.

My recommendation for a top quality/value Acoustech set/system

Onkyo 606 + HT-88's + HT-85 + HT-63's + eD A2-300 +2 bass shakers = ~$1300-$1500

The only thing I'm missing are the HT-63 rears, but I'm fine with what I have for now. The whole setup is just unreal. Im very happy with it.
post #335 of 4576
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhazard View Post

I finally got my a2-300, and I gotta say if you are looking for something a bit more powerful than the H100, the A2 does the trick quite nicely. It blends in really well with the Acoustechs, and literally shakes the house if you want it to.

Surprisingly, the HT-88's have done a very good job with bass on their own when I was missing a sub for a month.

My recommendation for a top quality/value Acoustech set/system

Onkyo 606 + HT-88's + HT-85 + HT-63's + eD A2-300 +2 bass shakers = ~$1300-$1500

The only thing I'm missing are the HT-63 rears, but I'm fine with what I have for now. The whole setup is just unreal. Im very happy with it.

forget about the 63's for now.I'd get the 75's for the surrounds next..Then I'd get the 63's for the way backs
post #336 of 4576
I'm concerned that because the HT-88's handle base so well, that the H-100 is going to sound like it's not even there. Any owner impressions on if the H-100 can be felt above and beyond the HT-88's? I'm just wondering if I should ebay the sub and order a more powerful one. I don't want a sub that I paid $250 for that I can't even hear or feel becuase the HT-88's are just as good.
post #337 of 4576
Quote:
Originally Posted by jordanzelda23 View Post

I'm concerned that because the HT-88's handle base so well, that the H-100 is going to sound like it's not even there. Any owner impressions on if the H-100 can be felt above and beyond the HT-88's? I'm just wondering if I should ebay the sub and order a more powerful one. I don't want a sub that I paid $250 for that I can't even hear or feel becuase the HT-88's are just as good.

The 88's wont overpower the sub, and you'll get a much richer sounding bass using the h100 or any good sub. 8" woofers wont beat out a 12" with a lower freq response.

You actually want the sub to blend in.
post #338 of 4576
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by jordanzelda23 View Post

I'm concerned that because the HT-88's handle base so well, that the H-100 is going to sound like it's not even there. Any owner impressions on if the H-100 can be felt above and beyond the HT-88's? I'm just wondering if I should ebay the sub and order a more powerful one. I don't want a sub that I paid $250 for that I can't even hear or feel becuase the HT-88's are just as good.

I've got a large room and theres no comparison with the H100. If I turn it off, then its practically like turning the bass off to me.
post #339 of 4576
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilmike2069 View Post

I'm curious about your progress with this. Please let us know if you've diagnosed it as a faulty sub or amp and how the problem is being rectified.

Just a little more follow-up. Last night I went out and bought a decibel meter at Radio Shack. I tested the sub and the MAX level I could attain was 90db, and that's with the sub's gain turned up all the way and the gain on the receiver turned up all the way to +12db.

I talked to BIC today and they're going to send me instructions on how to replace the amp and send it back to them so they can send me a replacement. I told them I'd try the dealer one more time as well, so I also emailed Eric at SoundDistributor's again and said I wanted an exchange because of the problems I'm having and supposedly he's going to get this done when he gets back from Hawaii on Friday. We'll see what happens next.
post #340 of 4576
I can tell my H-100 is there. It rumbles my room over the 88's. So far I'm liking my BIC's. I haven't used my receiver's auto calibration yet. I haven't really had an opportunity to really push the system and listen. With the wife around it's hard to raise the volume. She's not big on surround sound while I like it loud.
post #341 of 4576
Quote:
Originally Posted by dboss View Post

Just a little more follow-up. Last night I went out and bought a decibel meter at Radio Shack. I tested the sub and the MAX level I could attain was 90db, and that's with the sub's gain turned up all the way and the gain on the receiver turned up all the way to +12db.

I talked to BIC today and they're going to send me instructions on how to replace the amp and send it back to them so they can send me a replacement. I told them I'd try the dealer one more time as well, so I also emailed Eric at SoundDistributor's again and said I wanted an exchange because of the problems I'm having and supposedly he's going to get this done when he gets back from Hawaii on Friday. We'll see what happens next.

Well...to my surprise, I got an email first thing this morning pacific time from Sound Distributors that a new sub was on its way to me and all I needed to do for the old sub was to pack it up and give it to the UPS guy for pick-up. Assuming everything continues to go smoothly, I'll be VERY impressed with their customer service.
post #342 of 4576
I'm thinking about getting BICs in a 5.1 or 6.1 setup. Here's my problem: the room is pretty big - actually is very big, and the speakers will be elevated 22" (at least - I can go as high as I want) in a built in area about 20" deep. I've only built the bottom platform, so I could have the speakers open on the sides of the TV (they'd each have one side on the wall) or built into shelving on the sides of the TV (up to 11" wide). I'd prefer to have the shelving on the side, because it would look better. I'm worried that the HT-88 or HT-75 were not designed to be confined to an enclosed area and that the bookshelf speakers will be to small for the room. Does anyone have any thoughts on this?
post #343 of 4576
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by awl57 View Post

I'm thinking about getting BICs in a 5.1 or 6.1 setup. Here's my problem: the room is pretty big - actually is very big, and the speakers will be elevated 22" (at least - I can go as high as I want) in a built in area about 20" deep. I've only built the bottom platform, so I could have the speakers open on the sides of the TV (they'd each have one side on the wall) or built into shelving on the sides of the TV (up to 11" wide). I'd prefer to have the shelving on the side, because it would look better. I'm worried that the HT-88 or HT-75 were not designed to be confined to an enclosed area and that the bookshelf speakers will be to small for the room. Does anyone have any thoughts on this?

They should be ok because the 88s are front firing and front ported. The 75's are front firing and front ported as well.
post #344 of 4576
First, I want to say thank you lilmike. This thread has been very informative, and makes me want an Acoustech. The question i have is this: With my current setup, I've got just enough space to put a tower on each side of my TV. Should I go ahead and get this, or should I just go with a smaller book shelf speaker setup? I really like the look of the tower, and i'm not going to live in my current home forever so i'm also planning for the future. Am i trying to cram too much in one area?
post #345 of 4576
I got the HT-88's, HT-85, and HS-100 sub last week. They sound great, but I can't get Audyssey to work on my Onkyo 605 receiver. Everytime I run it the first sounds coming out of the front left speaker are really quiet (almost to where you can't hear them) and it says there is a speaker error. I hit retry and it plays the sounds louder, but everytime it says that there is too much ambient noise (when there is no ambient noise at all). When you guys ran Audyssey were the pulsing sounds loud or could you barely hear them? I wonder if my refurbed 605 has something wrong with it or if the mic is just bad. The front left and right are definitely working fine though. I can hear them very well in movies/music/tv.

So I don't really know what levels to set my speakers at except for playing the test tone and adjusting by ear. I have my receiver set to Full band and 80hz on the center speaker and sub. I also have double base on. Is this correct? I have a pretty large room. I have seen some people turning the front speakers to smaller so more of the base is handled by the sub. Should I just experiment and see what sounds best, or do I for sure want it set on full band and double base?

Also on the sub, if the switch is on Digital on the back is the frequency completely controlled by the receiver? If not I don't know if I'm supposed to match the frequency at 80hz on the back of the sub or what. I currently have the volume turned halfway up on the back of the sub and the onkyo set to like +4 on it. I really wish Audyssey would work so I could get proper sound levels.
post #346 of 4576
Quote:
Originally Posted by jordanzelda23 View Post

I got the HT-88's, HT-85, and HS-100 sub last week. They sound great, but I can't get Audyssey to work on my Onkyo 605 receiver. Everytime I run it the first sounds coming out of the front left speaker are really quiet (almost to where you can't hear them) and it says there is a speaker error. I hit retry and it plays the sounds louder, but everytime it says that there is too much ambient noise (when there is no ambient noise at all). When you guys ran Audyssey were the pulsing sounds loud or could you barely hear them? I wonder if my refurbed 605 has something wrong with it or if the mic is just bad. The front left and right are definitely working fine though. I can hear them very well in movies/music/tv.

So I don't really know what levels to set my speakers at except for playing the test tone and adjusting by ear. I have my receiver set to Full band and 80hz on the center speaker and sub. I also have double base on. Is this correct? I have a pretty large room. I have seen some people turning the front speakers to smaller so more of the base is handled by the sub. Should I just experiment and see what sounds best, or do I for sure want it set on full band and double base?

Also on the sub, if the switch is on Digital on the back is the frequency completely controlled by the receiver? If not I don't know if I'm supposed to match the frequency at 80hz on the back of the sub or what. I currently have the volume turned halfway up on the back of the sub and the onkyo set to like +4 on it. I really wish Audyssey would work so I could get proper sound levels.

Check the connection on the speaker and on the receiver. Try using banana plugs as well. When I tried using bare wire, i had to reconnect the wire 2-3 times since it wasnt catching properly, and caused some speaker errors.
post #347 of 4576
Thanks to the OP and everyone else who contributed to this thread. Without you guys I would have never thougth of buying these speakers. Heres what I ordered:

HT88 pair
HT85
HT63 x 4
H100

With the live.com 25%-35% off coupon I was able to order all this for $918 shipped. Can't wait to receive the shipment on Thur!
post #348 of 4576
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by sog35 View Post

Thanks to the OP and everyone else who contributed to this thread. Without you guys I would have never thougth of buying these speakers. Heres what I ordered:

HT88 pair
HT85
HT63 x 4
H100

With the live.com 25%-35% off coupon I was able to order all this for $918 shipped. Can't wait to receive the shipment on Thur!

OMG thats a steal! Lucky you
post #349 of 4576
Quote:
Originally Posted by dboss View Post

Just a little more follow-up. Last night I went out and bought a decibel meter at Radio Shack. I tested the sub and the MAX level I could attain was 90db, and that's with the sub's gain turned up all the way and the gain on the receiver turned up all the way to +12db.

I talked to BIC today and they're going to send me instructions on how to replace the amp and send it back to them so they can send me a replacement. I told them I'd try the dealer one more time as well, so I also emailed Eric at SoundDistributor's again and said I wanted an exchange because of the problems I'm having and supposedly he's going to get this done when he gets back from Hawaii on Friday. We'll see what happens next.

good luck. There is something wrong with the one you have as mine is in a pretty big room and shakes the whole house easily
post #350 of 4576
Here are my first impressions: I got the HT88/HT85/HT63 combo. The highs are amazing! Super clear with alot of punch! So much so that my dog got scared. The midrange is also very clean and strong. These speakers can play VERY LOUD with ease. The H100 has amazing base and total destroys my Venolye sub.

I can't beleive how huge these speakers are, especially the HT85. Overall these are the best speakers at this price point.
post #351 of 4576
I am thinking of purchasing 4 HT-63's to finish off my Acoustech/eD system.

For anyone who has them, how do the HT-63's compare to other surround speakers at its price?

I currently have 4 spherex omnipolar surrounds, and I have loved them for the past few years. They do not sound overpowered since they are so close to me, but I fear that the 120Hz crossover of those speakers is too high to be sending to the sub. Thoughts?
post #352 of 4576
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhazard View Post

I am thinking of purchasing 4 HT-63's to finish off my Acoustech/eD system.

For anyone who has them, how do the HT-63's compare to other surround speakers at its price?

I currently have 4 spherex omnipolar surrounds, and I have loved them for the past few years. They do not sound overpowered since they are so close to me, but I fear that the 120Hz crossover of those speakers is too high to be sending to the sub. Thoughts?

Personally, I LOVE them. I never knew how much sound I was missing with my old Klipsch set-up. They great sound dispersion - I really haven't found a spot where you can't hear them.

They have a 60 hz crossover, and produce a good deal of bass with the woofers. Makes my movie watching an amazing experience!
post #353 of 4576
I ordered the cinema series 6 package from acoustic sound design (offered $150 below buy now, and they accepted) and to my surprise (like another person posted) they shipped the HT-88s along with the 63's, 65 and 100.
Talk about great service...
post #354 of 4576
Quote:
Originally Posted by burgboy9999 View Post

I ordered the cinema series 6 package from acoustic sound design (offered $150 below buy now, and they accepted) and to my surprise (like another person posted) they shipped the HT-88s along with the 63's, 65 and 100.
Talk about great service...

Exact same thing happend to me! except mine are from sound distributors. i asked him for $750 shipped to me in Phoenix, az. He had no problem with that. I got them setup to an onkyo 805, still trying to find the best settings for everything. I watched cloverfield last night, amazing sound coming from the speakers/reciever. I had the switch on the bottom of the sub-amp in the wrong direction. Even though a smaller margin of bass came out compared to if i had that switch in the right position, it still shook my room! great sound!

What are the best setting to get these things really rocking w/ an onkyo 805? and mostly all Blu-ray discs (please list all the settings you can think of) oh ya, the 805 was an open box from CC that my friend hooked me up for $430!!, but there was no remote or mic for the audessy so I cant use those lol
post #355 of 4576
Call Onkyo service/parts and you can buy the audessy mic for 19 and some change shipped. I also got the HT-88's and those things are huge!!
post #356 of 4576
I love these speakers (HT88/85/63) but I'm having some problems setting up the H100 sub. For some reason I'm getting alot of vibration from the sub, not that the sub is making other things in the room vibrate, but it seems the sub itself is vibrating and seems distorted. When I decrease the volume on the sub, I don't seem to hear any bass.

Right now I'm using an Onkyo SR576 to power these speakers. On the H100 I set the volume to 4, auto switch, crossover at max (120 I think). On the Onkyo I have all the speakers set at small, crossover at 80, sub is at +dcbl, all other speakers at -2 dcbl.

Could my sub be defective? Please help!
post #357 of 4576
Is the general consensus to keep the HT-88s at full band and everything else at 80 khz (thx)? What is the db reading you guys are setting your H-100 to? Any info or recommendations would be great. (I have HT-88x2, HT-63x2. HT-65, and H-100) Thanks.
post #358 of 4576
Quote:
Originally Posted by burgboy9999 View Post

Is the general consensus to keep the HT-88s at full band and everything else at 80 khz (thx)? What is the db reading you guys are setting your H-100 to? Any info or recommendations would be great. (I have HT-88x2, HT-63x2. HT-65, and H-100) Thanks.

I would like to know this too. I ran audyssey and it set fronts and center to full band and sub at 80hz. What effect is putting the center speaker to 80hz instead of full band going to have on the sound. Audyssey also put my sub at -1. It sounds pretty quiet. I don't really know how loud to go though. I put it at +1 for now.

Why are some people setting their speakers to small?
post #359 of 4576
Quote:
Originally Posted by dboss View Post

Well...to my surprise, I got an email first thing this morning pacific time from Sound Distributors that a new sub was on its way to me and all I needed to do for the old sub was to pack it up and give it to the UPS guy for pick-up. Assuming everything continues to go smoothly, I'll be VERY impressed with their customer service.

Finally got the new sub yesterday and this thing ROCKS! There was definitely a problem with the other sub because if I move the gain on the new sub anywhere past level 4 I feel like all the windows and the door in the room will get blown out. Great job by Sound Distributors in resolving my first sub problem!!

On another note, I need some opinions. Audyssey set my fronts (HT-88's) and side surrounds (HT-75's) to Full Band and I also have Double Base on, but I wasn't sure if I should change them from Full Band to 80, or another frequency. Let me know your thoughts. Thanks!

Edit: HA! It took me awhile to post this and as soon as I do, someone else had already asked the same question!
post #360 of 4576
Quote:
Originally Posted by jordanzelda23 View Post

I would like to know this too. I ran audyssey and it set fronts and center to full band and sub at 80hz. What effect is putting the center speaker to 80hz instead of full band going to have on the sound. Audyssey also put my sub at -1. It sounds pretty quiet. I don't really know how loud to go though. I put it at +1 for now.

Why are some people setting their speakers to small?

Small = setting a crossover

The 88's can handle bass pretty well, so I use full band and double bass.

You need to try different crossovers to see what sounds better to you. 40-60Hz for the fronts might be good, and 80Hz might be good for the surrounds. Setting a crossover means that any sound under that freq you set will be sent to the sub, anything above is played through the speaker.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Speakers
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Speakers › BIC Acoustech Owners Thread