or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › HDTV › HDTV Recorders › DIY Firmware Changes for DST50
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

DIY Firmware Changes for DST50  

post #1 of 18
Thread Starter 
Hi all,

People have talked about the firmware in the DST50 at some length.

It seems that:

a) the new firmware works with the JVC 30000 recorders and
b) the new firmware may have 'undesirable' 5C code in it.

So, how about having a copy of both!

It looks to me that the EPROMs in the the unit are very standard 100ns access 5V 8MBit EPROMs. The part in the DST51 is equivalent once written. It should be very straightforward to get a bunch of these things.

The 27C080's can be got for $13 each which is a little more pricey than I would have liked, but there you go.

In any case, assuming that I have 'old firmware', I can create spare sets of the old firmware for those who have been updated.

All I need is the new firmware in either file or actual EPROMs and I could offer sets of either version. One possibility is that I could trade 'old chips for new' with someone, just to get the data. Then I could return the chips leaving that person with a set of both.

Any volunteers? ;)

Alternatively I can copy the current ROM and send my box in to be modified...

In any case, I will look into my box and see what I have. Once I get some parts I will confirm that I can create working copies of the ROM's and go from there...

Is there any interest in this?

Cheers!
DAve.
post #2 of 18
I have a dst-50 with the original firmware and another with upgraded firmware. We could make some comparisons to see what the differences might be. Where are you located? I am in Bay area. I have no means to copy the firmware.
post #3 of 18
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally posted by Orio
I have a dst-50 with the original firmware and another with upgraded firmware. We could make some comparisons to see what the differences might be. Where are you located? I am in Bay area. I have no means to copy the firmware.
I am in Sunnyvale. So not too far away :) Please check private message for more details.

Cheers!
DAve.
post #4 of 18
Thread Starter 
Ok, I have some additional information.

My DST50 is dated Dec 1998.

I opened it up today and had a look inside. I am no longer surprised about the weight of the unit and it seems that there has been a lot of effort put into keeping certain chips cool and RF emissions to a minimum.

Now for the code:

There are 4 EPROMs labelled TVR2AJ032-1, TVR2AJ033-1, TVR2AJ034-1 & TVR2AJ035-1. I can only assume that the version number is part of all that.

The chips are windowed ceramic so they can be reprogrammed if need be. They are ST Micro M27C801, 100ns access time and commercial temp range (0-70 C).

Kudos to gridleak for the excellent thread on opening the DST50 case!

Cheers!
DAve.
post #5 of 18
I am also interested in participating in this. I believe the programmer we have at work can handle these parts. I have a DST50 and a DST51. I don't know the versions of the firmware. I'm in the San diego area. I'd prefer to just email the files back and forth. I'll check back in when I've determined the versions I have.

Mark
post #6 of 18
Was not clear to me they changed the part numbers on the part when my machine was updated?

dave
post #7 of 18
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally posted by mdv
I am also interested in participating in this. I believe the programmer we have at work can handle these parts. I have a DST50 and a DST51. I don't know the versions of the firmware. I'm in the San diego area. I'd prefer to just email the files back and forth. I'll check back in when I've determined the versions I have.

Mark
Ok - cool. I was thinking about posting the files on a 'private' website. Do you prefer .bin or Intel .HEX?

I am reading back the first PROM as I type :)

dave, it is possible that the updated chips will be labelled the same, but that would be very poor practice.

Cheers!
DAve.
post #8 of 18
Quote:
Ok - cool. I was thinking about posting the files on a 'private' website. Do you prefer .bin or Intel .HEX?
I think HEX is better because I belive it has a checksum.

BTW, can't you tell the firmware version in a menu somewhere?

Mark
post #9 of 18
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally posted by mdv


I think HEX is better because I belive it has a checksum.

BTW, can't you tell the firmware version in a menu somewhere?

Mark
Currently I have them as 1MB flat bin files. I can create HEX I think. HEX is probably better for email, though ZIPed bin's is probably even better.

The Panasonic DIRECTV HD box definitely displays software versions in a menu - I could not find the equivalent menu on the DST50.

In any case, I should get my new chips on Monday and then later in the week perhaps visit Orio and get some extra firmware versions to play with.

Cheers!
DAve.
post #10 of 18
I have 32 thru 35 in zipped hex form if anybody wants it.
post #11 of 18
Thread Starter 
Just before I left for work today, the UPS truck arrived with my replacement firmware IC's.

I will try to program a set today and with any luck with be able to run the box from the new chips.

Then it will be time to collect new firmwares! :)

That said though, it sounds like the JVC unit at least has bugs and should not be purchased (yet)... :( I guess I will have to wait and see with that one...

Cheers!
DAve.
post #12 of 18
I did talk to Richard about the f/w on the DST50 again. He say he has seen two different versions of the f/w, (different check sums) with the same mfg part number on them.

FYI

dave
post #13 of 18
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally posted by h2ofun
I did talk to Richard about the f/w on the DST50 again. He say he has seen two different versions of the f/w, (different check sums) with the same mfg part number on them.
Sigh! Bad Panasonic!

Well, the transplant has been done and it looks like it is successful - will not crow until I see a picture at home over lunch...

I am psyched though - I just got an HD1000 on eBay, so I don't really NEED the new F/W now...

Still a good exercise I feel...

Cheers!
DAve.
post #14 of 18
Dave, if you have the HD1000, get the modified DTC100 to use with it. Much better than the dst50 in my opinion and others.

dave
post #15 of 18
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally posted by h2ofun
Dave, if you have the HD1000, get the modified DTC100 to use with it. Much better than the dst50 in my opinion and others.
Thanks for the advice - though sadly I have blown my near term budget for now :)

In other news, the Atmel part 27C080 with the DST50 code does not seem to be reliable. Once connected to a TV I got to see the opening sceen just start and then it crashed. I guess it is close but no cigar.

I believe that the Atmel 27C080 is used in the DST51 - anybody want some spare chips? ;)

I am still interested in following this through, only I need to find some of the ST 27C801 parts. I will report any further progress.

Cheers!
DAve.
post #16 of 18
I could use those Atmel chips if indeed they are indeed what's used in the DST51. Are they OTP?

Mark
post #17 of 18
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally posted by mdv
I could use those Atmel chips if indeed they are indeed what's used in the DST51. Are they OTP?

Mark
See this thread from gridleak for the information. I have not confirmed this by my own eyes...

These parts are AT27C080-90PC which is one speed grade faster. (90ns vs 100ns for the -10PC).

They are indeed OTP - from what I see of the datasheet, there is no windowed part from Atmel.

I have a call into Avnet to see if I can get the ST Micro 27C801 parts. It could be tricky to make a purchase as I am not a company :)

Cheers!
DAve.
post #18 of 18
Thread Starter 
I called in a couple of favours and with any luck I should have some of the actual ST Micro parts in the new year. Then the fun can really start :)

Happy Holidays!

DAve.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: HDTV Recorders
This thread is locked  
AVS › AVS Forum › HDTV › HDTV Recorders › DIY Firmware Changes for DST50