or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Blu-ray & HD DVD › HD DVD Players › Firmware 2.0 for A3/A30/A35 out (dont update if you use 1080p24 it causes jaggies!)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Firmware 2.0 for A3/A30/A35 out (dont update if you use 1080p24 it causes jaggies!) - Page 4

post #91 of 700
Good morning guys,

I am banging my head against the wall this morning. I picked up the A35 yesterday, plugged it in to the network, and did the firmware upgrade. Playback seems fine, but I do not have a 1080p/24 projector.

My problem is with audio. I am one of those guys who wants to see the Dolby TrueHD light on my Denon 3808ci (even if the audio quality is the same). All I can get it to do is light up Multi CH Direct (PCM). After I updated the firmware, I initialized the player and went through all the settings again!

Audio Settings:
- HDMI = AUTO
- Digital Direct Audio Mode = On

It is connected via HDMI from the A35, directly to the Denon 3808ci.
I am using the 2008 Dolby Demo disc from CES.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Mike
post #92 of 700
Number 17 your method is preferered but many of us to get the player to an internet connection is problematic and a bit of a chore.


It would take me 10 to 15 minutes to un install it and re install the player from my home theatre set up. My internet connection is in an other room of the house.

I have burned cd with the brurning tool I mentioned since January of 2007(previously on my A 2) and now on the A 35 only once I had minor problem which was corrected by re inserting the disc into the player.

So we both get the same results only different ways
post #93 of 700
auto feature on frame rate is a waste. it does not switch to 1080/24p anymore on my 52XBR4, i had to leave the setting on (1080p/24) to get the correct frame rate of 24p.
post #94 of 700
Quote:
Originally Posted by akadennis View Post

auto feature on frame rate is a waste. it does not switch to 1080/24p anymore on my 52XBR4, i had to leave the setting on (1080p/24) to get the correct frame rate of 24p.

Exactly, what is the point, it doesn't seem to do anything. I was hoping the auto feature would work like the ps3 and auto detect whether the content was filmed at 24p, 60p, or 30p and display the correct resolution and frame rate based on the disc's content. However that is not the case. I have a 52 XBR 4 and never had trouble displaying 1080/24 from the a35. Now when auto is selected it reverts to 1080p everytime. Does anyone know what the point of this new frame rate feature is?

Also i am saddened to note, while toshiba did include a seemingly useless frame rate option they didn't seem to fix the handshake issues between my a35 and onkyo 705. It is a crap shoot whether the a35 will output lpcm or hbr and sometimes there is no sound at all. Only after power cycling my equipement a couple times does the problem seem to go away. This update seems like a complete waste of time.
post #95 of 700
Hmm...

I too was hoping it would auto-detect 24p vs 60i content on the disc and switch on the fly.

Previews often look heinous at 24p...
post #96 of 700
rashid11,

I have a DLP 6176 from Samsung. Are you saying that the info button on the tv as viewed from a ps3 will say 24hz? I did the firmware update last night and I SWEAR the picture somehow looked better (from my A35) but the info button still said 60hz. I actually went through several different HD DVD's including a bunch I watched all the time. Does anyone have a sufficient explanation for this? Is it that the source coming in is better translated or is 3:2 pulldown processing no longer necessary as mentioned earlier?
post #97 of 700
Quote:
Originally Posted by mosman22 View Post

Exactly, what is the point, it doesn't seem to do anything. I was hoping the auto feature would work like the ps3 and auto detect whether the content was filmed at 24p, 60p, or 30p and display the correct resolution and frame rate based on the disc's content. However that is not the case. I have a 52 XBR 4 and never had trouble displaying 1080/24 from the a35. Now when auto is selected it reverts to 1080p everytime. Does anyone know what the point of this new frame rate feature is?

Also i am saddened to note, while toshiba did include a seemingly useless frame rate option they didn't seem to fix the handshake issues between my a35 and onkyo 705. It is a crap shoot whether the a35 will output lpcm or hbr and sometimes there is no sound at all. Only after power cycling my equipement a couple times does the problem seem to go away. This update seems like a complete waste of time.

Sorry 2 hear about ur troubles. That sucks !! I too wish it would work like the PS3 and auto detect the frame rate. Maybe the next update if we're lucky enough to get one.
post #98 of 700
Tried to update, but got two error codes. At least it played fine afterward. I'm going to try burning it this time... when I go buy some CD-Rs, that is.
post #99 of 700
Last night I downloaded the version 2.0 burnt it in to CD and updated my newly bought Toshiba "A3" after the completion of update and ejection of CD, my "A3" is functioning at all, turns on but no other response the HDMI2 connection to Samsung 5054 is gray out. Player door is not opens and the play can't be turn off unless I unplug the power.

Does any one else has had this experience with f/w update. Sound like I have to return it after 2 weeks.

BTW: this is the first f/w update since the player came with 1.3 version before.
post #100 of 700
Yes AUTO does not seem to work at all. If I have frame rate set to auto, I get 1080/60p all the time even though resolution is set to "up to 1080/24p". If I set Frame rate to 1080/24p and resolution to 1080/24p I get 1080/24p like before. I have a Sony VPL-VW60 Projector, which is a newer model 1080/24p compatible display.

SO I agree with other posters, right now AUTO is a waste, it doesnt work at all. I was hoping it would provide 1080/60p for 1080/60i sources like HDScape discs, and 1080/24p for 1080/24p sources and standard dvds.
post #101 of 700
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post

It sounds like the update is similar to the XA2 update. Does it cause the same problems as the XA2 update? Problems with AVC encoded discs with 1080P24 output.

I am hesitant to load the firmware until this question is answered.

Can someone who has installed 2.0 and is using 1080p24 output please check an AVC encoded disc for jaggies? A good example is Chapter 5 of Transformers. On the XA2's latest firmware, during the second shot of that chapter, Bumblebee's hood has terrible jaggies at 1080p24 output. They go away at 1080i or 1080p60.
post #102 of 700
Hmm, EP-35 version of the 2.0 firmware have no Enhanced Black Level option like in this picture:



We are also missing the option of adjusting the screen saver mode. I think I will try the A-35 version in my EP-35... Changing the SD-DVD region to 1 doesn't matter anyway for me.

UPDATE: This was not possible. It says I have already updated. Crap. At least I wanted the option of adjusting the screen saver mode. I hate that the unit shuts down after a few min of inactivity, especially since it takes forever to boot up again.

If anyone know how to flash over the thing again, please let me know. Thanks.

UPDATE: Ok it seems the Enhanced Black Level is for DVI connection only, but still the Screen Saver settings are not there on the EP-35 version?
post #103 of 700
I have the A3 connected via HDMI to a 1080i/720p plasma.

What should I set the Frame Rate and Resolution Setting on the 2.0 firmware update?

thx
post #104 of 700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pointyskull View Post

I have the A3 connected via HDMI to a 1080i/720p plasma.

What should I set the Frame Rate and Resolution Setting on the 2.0 firmware update?

thx

There is no framerate setting on the A3 because it is not a 1080p player. Output can be set to 720p or 1080i for HD. It really depends on your display which you set it at. Your display is native 720p, but sometimes the display does a better job of scaling than the player. Try both settings and pick the best.
post #105 of 700
Can anyone with A-35 and fw 2.0 confirm that there is a Screen Saver setting under the General tab? I picture of this would be heaven
post #106 of 700
Quote:
Originally Posted by volvoguy View Post

Can anyone with A-35 and fw 2.0 confirm that there is a Screen Saver setting under the General tab? I picture of this would be heaven

I recall seeing a tab for turning on/off screensaver mode yesterday when I loaded firmware 2.0 on my A35.

My unit is still working as it did with earlier v1.3 firmware. I don't really notice anything different about it. Other than it does seem like they changed their disc read error correction/detection retry routine. Where my scratched up Superman Returns HD-DVD disc would not load and an error message of "...not DVD format..." would be displayed upon inserting the disc with firmware v1.3, it now just keeps on loading and loading and loading and did not stop to display the error message anymore. Of course I did not wait forever to see if it would eventually time out and show the error message, I just ejected it. So that is one behavour change that I personally noticed.
post #107 of 700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Z View Post

I am hesitant to load the firmware until this question is answered.

Can someone who has installed 2.0 and is using 1080p24 output please check an AVC encoded disc for jaggies? A good example is Chapter 5 of Transformers. On the XA2's latest firmware, during the second shot of that chapter, Bumblebee's hood has terrible jaggies at 1080p24 output. They go away at 1080i or 1080p60.

I will go check it out now. Btw, have you stopped writing your colum for HDD. I may be wrong but i feel like it has been a while since i noticed a new one. I hope you continue to write it since i have always found your colums interesting and worth while.
post #108 of 700
I installed FW2.0 last night and it went flawlessly. Did the initialize and 3 minute shutdown. Checked all my settings and then tried the Bourne Ultimatum. It still freezes at the 50 minute mark. So the update is no help for the disk. This is the only disc I own that freezes and unfortunatly is not returnable due to it being a gift from an out of town freind. Checked a couple of other HD disks that were slow at the layer change. No problems now that I can detect.
post #109 of 700
Quote:
Originally Posted by mosman22 View Post

I will go check it out now. Btw, have you stopped writing your colum for HDD. I may be wrong but i feel like it has been a while since i noticed a new one. I hope you continue to write it since i have always found your colums interesting and worth while.

Don't download this fw. I have an 52xbr 4 and a 35. I just checked chapter five of transformers and there is noticable jaggies in the shot of bumble bee, the grill is a flickering mess and if you look at bb outlines there are jaggies everywhere. Can someone with fw 1.3 please confirm these are not there at 1080/24 in chapter 5 of transformers.
post #110 of 700
After checking the manuals of the A-35 and EP-35 it seems we europeans gets screwed on the Screen Saver setting and the Enhanced Black Level setting (0 IRE / 7.5 IRE)
post #111 of 700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dayton View Post

Didn't fix playback issues with my HD-A30. Children of Men crapped out about an hour and 24 minutes in. I guess I really didn't expect 2.0 to fix it but it was worth a shot.

Clean the disc with soap and water. Post if it works.
post #112 of 700
Striderprime is right

I cleaned mydiscs with dish washing soap and water it takes some time for the discs to completely dry even though I wiped it dry.


This actually works
post #113 of 700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dayton
Didn't fix playback issues with my HD-A30. Children of Men crapped out about an hour and 24 minutes in. I guess I really didn't expect 2.0 to fix it but it was worth a shot.

It's not the player, it's the disc. Mine does the same thing. Universal just sent me a return envelope, they are going to replace mine.
post #114 of 700
Quote:
Originally Posted by James T View Post

Striderprime is right

I cleaned mydiscs with dish washing soap and water it takes some time for the discs to completely dry even though I wiped it dry.


This actually works

Did you use hot or cold water? Did you run it under the sink or just emerse it in the soappy water?
post #115 of 700
Quote:
Originally Posted by James T View Post

Striderprime is right

I cleaned mydiscs with dish washing soap and water it takes some time for the discs to completely dry even though I wiped it dry.


This actually works

There are reports that some disc are getting dust and oil on the surface at the factory. So a little washing should keep the disc from skipping or not playing.
post #116 of 700
Quote:
Originally Posted by BluLover View Post

Did you use hot or cold water? Did you run it under the sink or just emerse it in the soappy water?

Use Hot water since it breaks up grease better and make sure you are using something non abrasive for the surface. The skin on your finger tip is a nice tool. Rinse and shake off excess water. Dry off the remaining water with a hair dryer on cool setting or a household fan.
post #117 of 700
To ad to my comment for washing the disc. I had ny Bourne Ultimatium replaced by Universal Canada. They balamed the player cause they played it on a Microsoft game player and it worked.

When I got the new disc it worked perfectly.

I did not know about the hot soapy water trick till after that and it worked on a non HD disc
post #118 of 700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Z View Post

I am hesitant to load the firmware until this question is answered.

Can someone who has installed 2.0 and is using 1080p24 output please check an AVC encoded disc for jaggies? A good example is Chapter 5 of Transformers. On the XA2's latest firmware, during the second shot of that chapter, Bumblebee's hood has terrible jaggies at 1080p24 output. They go away at 1080i or 1080p60.

Ok. Here is what I see with my A35/905/Pearl setup.

A35 1080i > Onkyo 905 > 1080p60 = no jaggies playing (jaggies when paused)
A35 1080p60 = jaggies
A35 1080p24 = worse jaggies
post #119 of 700
By any chance can you play an MP3 disc with the new firmware upgrade? I know it's a long shot, but I was wondering....who knows gotta' ask!!
post #120 of 700
Quote:
Originally Posted by e30cabrio View Post



The new menu entry: Frame Rate has 2 possible selections: 1080p/24Hz and Auto. The Auto setting is NOT a "force 24" that a lot of people have been looking for. Auto will detect a flag setting encoded on the disc that will say that this disc was encoded either at 24 or 60. At this time, no current disc(s) are encoded with this flag. This flag is a future enhancement that will start appearing on disc(s) sometime in the future. Assuming that are are any more HD discs produced. Think of this as new feature that has not yet been implemented by the remaining studios. For now, and assuming that your TV is capable of accepting a 1080p/24Hz signal, the proper setting is 1080p/24Hz.

Source: http://tacp.toshiba.com/tacpassets-i...UpdateNote.pdf
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: HD DVD Players
AVS › AVS Forum › Blu-ray & HD DVD › HD DVD Players › Firmware 2.0 for A3/A30/A35 out (dont update if you use 1080p24 it causes jaggies!)