or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Gaming & Content Streaming › Home Theater Gaming › Xbox Area › My Xbox 360 Elite no longer sends 5.1 audio over HDMI
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

My Xbox 360 Elite no longer sends 5.1 audio over HDMI - Page 4

post #91 of 113
Hate to reply to my own post, but I bought a new Sony AVR and it worked perfectly -- COD on a new XBOX360 with 5.1 sound restored.
post #92 of 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbbl67 View Post

Perfect! This was the solution for me! Turning off the auto display discovery fixed it, I only had to go into the display settings afterwards to manually set it to 1080p, and away I went.

I can confirm this solution worked for me too! Thank you.
post #93 of 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_rickys View Post

I can confirm this solution worked for me too! Thank you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobs31 View Post

I had success with hdmi dd 5.1 by going into console settings and disabling 'auto' display discovery, then following the xbox's on screen instructions.

Thank you for this. Display Discovery was the culprit. I can't remember the last time I had DD from my xbox.

I'm running it xbox hdmi => TV, TV's optical audio output => receiver
post #94 of 113
Turning off Display Discovery worked initially. After I shut everything off and turned it all back on a few hours later, xbox came up as Stereo again. Running HDMI like this:

xbox -> Pioneer VSX-1021-K -> TV

I may just run optical instead and leave HDMI for video only, which defeats the purpose of the above clean setup. Anyone have this relapse to stereo again like I did? Switching it to Dolby Digital in system settings is pretty annoying to have to do everytime an xbox handshake goes bad on startup.
post #95 of 113
Setup:

Xbox 360 S -- HDMI -- --> Denon AVR1611 -- HDMI -- --> Samsung HDTV

I can get all my other HDMI components to happily play together (BluRay, TV, computer etc) but new Xbox 360 S won't work with Digital 5.1 over HDMI (or over TOSLINK).
post #96 of 113
I have had this problem since I got my Xbox there was never a Dolby digital option on my receiver when using the Xbox but 5.1 audio worked fine for my DVD player, PS3, and any other device. My setup is hdmi cable from Xbox and all other devices to TV and then an optical audio cable from the TV to receiver. But i just fixed it and it sounds great the problem has something to do with the display discovery option on the Xbox, once I turned that to disabled and restarted my Xbox and setup the system again !Bam! Dolby Digital audio. I think the problem is that the display discovery is detecting the TV but once it detects the TV it goes by it capabilities and not those of the receiver.

I hope this can help at least some of you because I know this has been driving me crazy for years, really years and never could find the answer it bugged the hell out of me.
post #97 of 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by jay-wog View Post

I have had this problem since I got my Xbox there was never a Dolby digital option on my receiver when using the Xbox but 5.1 audio worked fine for my DVD player, PS3, and any other device. My setup is hdmi cable from Xbox and all other devices to TV and then an optical audio cable from the TV to receiver. But i just fixed it and it sounds great the problem has something to do with the display discovery option on the Xbox, once I turned that to disabled and restarted my Xbox and setup the system again !Bam! Dolby Digital audio. I think the problem is that the display discovery is detecting the TV but once it detects the TV it goes by it capabilities and not those of the receiver.

I hope this can help at least some of you because I know this has been driving me crazy for years, really years and never could find the answer it bugged the hell out of me.

It's been covered extensively further back in this thread and many others, that most receivers have an option as to whether to pass through from TV back to source device, what sound capabilities the TV supports. Since precious few TVs actually have 5.1 speakers, they tell the querying device that they only support DD2.1 and compliant source devices dutifully send only DD2.1. Turning off the pass thru in the receiver, causes it to inject it's own audio capabilities into the list of supported audio types. This is generally effective at getting the 360 to send DD5.1. For some small minority, there either isn't an option in the receiver, or it doesn't work properly for some reason. Source devices that ignore the reported audio capabilities, will generally work fine, assuming that the receiver does support DD5.1 itself. The 360 by default does not ignore the reported audio capabilities, unless you disable display discovery.

O.O.
post #98 of 113
:d
Quote:
Originally Posted by datrumole View Post

this is a completely incorrect statement, ms doesnt say that hdmi supports only video, where you got that information is false, totally false. Hdmi is meant for sound and video, what most people (like myself) are having an issue with is their configuration. And the most common misconfigurations are:

1) xbox running hdmi to tv, then from tv to amp/receiver <-- i use these two words interchangably because not many people are running seperates... And if you are your probably not having these issues....
This is not going to get you dolby digital 5.1 to your receiver, no matter what your feeding into the tv, unless your tv has a pass through hdmi port, where-in the same signal passed to the tv is untouched/modified by the tv. Or is other-wise stated that your tv can pass dolby digital 5.1 out (not just accept it)

2) xbox running hdmi to hdmi capable amp, amp to tv (this was my case)
*important* there is a setting in every amp to tell your receiver what to pass to the hdmi out, it can either be video, sound or both (on sony receivers its called tv aka video, amp aka sound, tv+amp both). What happens is is that (and this is noted a few posts up, sorry i didnt get the user name before i posted this) the xbox negotiates with the devices, and its seeing the tv because its being passed audio. My tv doesn't accept 5.1!!! Only two channel via hdmi, so it picks the lowest common denominator. Why xbox does this must be the hdmi chip they use because my ps3 does not negotiate with my tv. Another symptom could be no sound at all from your receiver!!!!! This was the case with my cable box, so for those of you having an issue getting 5.1 from your hd receiver via hdmi, this is also the problem!!!! So what you need to do is find the setting in your receiver that shuts the passing of sound to your tv via hdmi.

This is the case for anyone whos using their receiver as their component switch (like myself as my tv only as one hdmi input). Plus i never use my speakers on my tv, i turned em off. For those of you who still wish to use their tv speakers and have the option of flippin on their receivers, you must use the optical cable to the receiver, or like i said before, have a tv that has a pass-through hdmi port.

I hope this helps, i wrote a nasty hate mail to ms right before i figured this out.....not to mention the time spent cussing out the xbox
post #99 of 113
I have a similar problem with my xBox360 Elite and Yamaha RV-663.. I always set my yamaha to Straight mode when i play PS3 /xbox/ bluRays and it is working fine with my PS3. but when i start my xbox i see only 2 channels not 5.1.. I swear it was working before but since i reprogrammed my harmony i started to notice this issue.
post #100 of 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by jay-wog View Post

I have had this problem since I got my Xbox there was never a Dolby digital option on my receiver when using the Xbox but 5.1 audio worked fine for my DVD player, PS3, and any other device. My setup is hdmi cable from Xbox and all other devices to TV and then an optical audio cable from the TV to receiver. But i just fixed it and it sounds great the problem has something to do with the display discovery option on the Xbox, once I turned that to disabled and restarted my Xbox and setup the system again !Bam! Dolby Digital audio. I think the problem is that the display discovery is detecting the TV but once it detects the TV it goes by it capabilities and not those of the receiver.

I hope this can help at least some of you because I know this has been driving me crazy for years, really years and never could find the answer it bugged the hell out of me.

Yup, I'm resurrecting a pretty old thread, but This post totally helped me! Couldn't for the life of me figure out why I couldn't get 5.1 with my xbox. And this worked. I run HDMI > TV > optical > Surround sound. First I had to enable the display discovery option, then disable it...I think that's what I did...I may also have switched from 5.1 to stereo, and back again....but as if by magic 5.1 kicked in. Why does something so simple feel like a frickin' miracle????? Ha.
post #101 of 113
I came in here looking to see if there was any information regarding this very topic, and sure enough, there is.

I just got a new receiver a couple of months ago so I'm not totally familiar with all of the menu settings and options.

Here's what I have:
Samsung LCD/LED tv
Denon 1912 receiver
Xbox (HDMI but not Elite)
Xbox--> Denon --> Samsung tv all via HDMI

I almost always have to go into the Xbox settings menu and deselect/select DD 5.1. It starts up in stereo almost every time.

Is this a setting I need to change in my receiver so I can have DD 5.1 on start up each time? Or is it an Xbox issue? From what I'm reading in this thread, there is an HDMI pass thru option I need to change in my receiver... no idea where that is but I'll take a look.
post #102 of 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gizmo83 View Post

I came in here looking to see if there was any information regarding this very topic, and sure enough, there is.

I just got a new receiver a couple of months ago so I'm not totally familiar with all of the menu settings and options.

Here's what I have:
Samsung LCD/LED tv
Denon 1912 receiver
Xbox (HDMI but not Elite)
Xbox--> Denon --> Samsung tv all via HDMI

I almost always have to go into the Xbox settings menu and deselect/select DD 5.1. It starts up in stereo almost every time.

Is this a setting I need to change in my receiver so I can have DD 5.1 on start up each time? Or is it an Xbox issue? From what I'm reading in this thread, there is an HDMI pass thru option I need to change in my receiver... no idea where that is but I'll take a look.

You will need to ensure your receiver is on and switched to the correct input prior to turning on your 360. Unfortunately this is a long standing issue with all the HDMI based 360's minus the newer slims. I added an artificial delay on my Logitech Harmony for powering up the 360 which seems to address the audio issue
post #103 of 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobs31 View Post

I had success with hdmi dd 5.1 by going into console settings and disabling 'auto' display discovery, then following the xbox's on screen instructions.

Even after 3 years this trick still works. I have a 3.1 Denon 2112CI setup that is hooked to a 46" Samsung LCD and Xbox 360 using HDMI cables. Since I just got my center channel in this past weekend, I couldn't figure out why my center channel was basically silent and that the audio would jump on the LCD screen of my receiver from Dolby Digital to Stereo all the time when jumping in-game.

Long story short, turning off Display Discovery definitely worked. Thanks for the heads up.
post #104 of 113
turning off display discovery worked for me.

thanks
post #105 of 113
Turned off Display Discovery and then did the restart. Came back with the Digital audio set to Stereo for some reason. Switched it to DD 5.1 and so far so good. We'll see if this fixes the problem for good now.

FWIW I had the issue with a 360 Slim.
post #106 of 113
I had the same problem but found why I was having this same issue. It was due to my display discovery being turned off. Once it was re-enabled everything worked perfectly.

Hope this helps
post #107 of 113
I just realized that my 360 was only putting out stereo audio after upgrading to a Yamaha RX-A2020 a couple of months ago. All my audio components immediately sounded better with this receiver with the exception of my Xbox which started sounding lifeless, thus the discovery of the PCM output. I've been searching for answers on how to get the DD to work and finally found this thread. Thank you to whoever suggested turning the display discovery off and then resetting the audio and video. I've got DD working and it sounds absolutely stunning.
post #108 of 113
Just adding my experience. I had the same problem (2 channel PCM only) most of the time. Occasionally I would hit the magic combo and get DD. I disabled the display auto detect and manually set the display and sound and now I get DD all the time. The Halo games are so much better this way.
post #109 of 113
I just bought the HK AVR1565 and after hooking everything up, via HDMI, I thought things would be fine. Well, my BluRay is but I can't seem to get any surround sound from any video apps for the 360, other than Netflix. I tried Xfinity on Demand and Fox on Demand. No rear channels sound at all. What's strange, is the receiver reads "Dolby Digital 3/2/.1" which if I understand correctly, means 5.1 is active.
With Netflix, I couldn't get a full HD signal so I had to uninstall and reinstall to work. With the others, they were fresh installs and there are no settings controlling this within the app and the 360 is set to Dolby Digital 5.1.
What am I doing wrong?

Youtube and Vevo have no rear channels either. Video games do, however. It's like the rear speakers are off. I'm not even getting residual music or noise from them.

Would the passthough issue cause this too? It seems my reciever is showing that it's getting 5.1. I have the Halo 3 Xbox 360.
post #110 of 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vader1025 View Post

I just bought the HK AVR1565 and after hooking everything up, via HDMI, I thought things would be fine. Well, my BluRay is but I can't seem to get any surround sound from any video apps for the 360, other than Netflix. I tried Xfinity on Demand and Fox on Demand. No rear channels sound at all. What's strange, is the receiver reads "Dolby Digital 3/2/.1" which if I understand correctly, means 5.1 is active.
With Netflix, I couldn't get a full HD signal so I had to uninstall and reinstall to work. With the others, they were fresh installs and there are no settings controlling this within the app and the 360 is set to Dolby Digital 5.1.
What am I doing wrong?

Youtube and Vevo have no rear channels either. Video games do, however. It's like the rear speakers are off. I'm not even getting residual music or noise from them.

Would the passthough issue cause this too? It seems my reciever is showing that it's getting 5.1. I have the Halo 3 Xbox 360.

I'm assuming you have both side and rear surround speakers set up. It sounds like the surround audio is being matrixed at times. Depending on how you have the DSP set up, if your receiver is getting a true 5.1 signal, you will only hear the surround sound coming out of either your left and right side surround speakers or your left and right rear surround speakers, which ever you have designated. If your receiver is not receiving a true 5.1 signal, it will matrix the sound to all of your surround channels.
post #111 of 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by chmorgan View Post

I'm assuming you have both side and rear surround speakers set up. It sounds like the surround audio is being matrixed at times. Depending on how you have the DSP set up, if your receiver is getting a true 5.1 signal, you will only hear the surround sound coming out of either your left and right side surround speakers or your left and right rear surround speakers, which ever you have designated. If your receiver is not receiving a true 5.1 signal, it will matrix the sound to all of your surround channels.

It's only a 5.1 receiver, so just right and left front, center, then right and left rear. The rear speakers have not a thing coming out of the rear speakers. The 360 is set for Dolby Digital 5.1 and I get a good low frequency for the sub, great center channel and left and right separation. If I use my Blu-Ray player, they work. I don't seem to have any options, within the apps themselves, for 5.1 BUT the programs show "HD 5.,1" in their description. What puzzles me, is the receiver shows I'm getting a DD signal. I was right on what the 3/2/.1 signified.
post #112 of 113
I'm still having the issue, although the Youtube app seems to be 5.1 now.
post #113 of 113

Hello, I just got my Xbox One and I'm already having this kind of issues. I have a H/K AVR 1565. Almost every time I turn the xbone on, my AVR doesn't detect the 5.1 PCM signal, it only shows 2 channel PCM, although it works flawlessly with the PC. I tried disabling the discovery option, but this didn't help. When I switch from 5.1-uncompressed, to 7.1- uncompressed  or stereo uncompressed, my AVR always shows 2 channel signal. If I switch to DTS, the receiver does detect it correctly, but this wouldn't be best case scenario for me. In order to make it work, I have to turn off all the set up, even unplug the xbox one from the power line (or set it up to power save), and MAYBE the AVR will finally display multichannel PCM, and everything will work just fine from this point... as long as I don't switch the audio options, if I try to switch to DTS and then back to 5.1 uncompressed, the receiver will never display 5.1 again, and I have to do all this annoying process again.

 

I had this issue with my 360, my workaround was to turn on my AV, TV and 360 in that specific order (even though sometimes this didn't work, most of the times it did), and then I had Dolby Digital. I never tried disabling the auto discovery option as I didn't know that workaround, but with the xbox one this doesn't solve it at all.

 

I know I could keep my settings in DTS so I could have a real 5.1 output, but then Blu Ray movies and uncompressed sounds from games (if ever supported) would be unavailable for me, and this would be a bummer for a so called "next gen" console. Also, apparently, using the "power save" mode is more reliable, but then I wouldn't be able to download content in the background nor using the fast boot feature. I'm thinking in sending the console back in and grab a PS4 instead, historically Sony devices seem not to have this kind of issues, what do you think?

 

Are you having similar issues with your xbox one? Do you think this is a software or a hardware issue?, and from what part: AVR or XBONE? 

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Xbox Area
AVS › AVS Forum › Gaming & Content Streaming › Home Theater Gaming › Xbox Area › My Xbox 360 Elite no longer sends 5.1 audio over HDMI