or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Plasma Flat Panel Displays › Panasonic Released 2008 info on 80 and 85 series [NO PRICE TALK PLEASE]
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Panasonic Released 2008 info on 80 and 85 series [NO PRICE TALK PLEASE] - Page 9

post #241 of 269
I *just* got the 50PZ77U, unaware of the 80/85's. I have 30 days to return it for no charge. Without going into specific pricing details, I think it would be a delta of about $400 between what I paid and the new ones.

So the question is, as a "normal household" with no special gear (HDTV DVR and an Xbox360), is it worth the extra money (and minor hassle) to get one of the newer units? I am pretty well versed on all the tech, but I don't feel I understand if I will be able to tangibly see the difference.

Any advice would be much appreciated.
post #242 of 269
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtoeman View Post

I *just* got the 50PZ77U, unaware of the 80/85's. I have 30 days to return it for no charge. Without going into specific pricing details, I think it would be a delta of about $400 between what I paid and the new ones.

So the question is, as a "normal household" with no special gear (HDTV DVR and an Xbox360), is it worth the extra money (and minor hassle) to get one of the newer units? I am pretty well versed on all the tech, but I don't feel I understand if I will be able to tangibly see the difference.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Look at one instore and decide for yourself. I haven't seen an 08 set yet, but I'm betting the two most apparent differences between a 77u and and 85u will be better whites on the 85u and better glare reduction on the 77u.
post #243 of 269
Can the shelf (not the pedestal) be removed from the PZ85Us? The manual shows what may be 4 screws to do so but it's not all that detailed.
post #244 of 269
Well, anything CAN be removed, hee hee. Without seeing the TV myself, I'm guessing that it has downward-firing speakers there behind the lower bezel, and that the 'shelf' directs the sound out front. So even if you can easily remove the shelf, it may negatively affect the sound quality from the TV speakers. Not an issue, of course, if you run sound through an AVR. I kind of like this idea, actually, since the 85u would definitely look great without the 'shelf'. One of the early adopters needs to try this.
post #245 of 269
I have a 7.1 system so the TVs speakers are of no use. Aesthetically, this would help its appearance considerably. With only a one year warranty, I'd consider removing it myself if it simply is for downfiring speakers (read: not severing any electrical components).
post #246 of 269
I have been working with an internet vendor on an order I placed a month ago. I originally ordered the 50PZ700U .I called them today and they said that item is still back ordered. They mentioned that they would be willing to sell me the 50PZ80U for an additional 75 to my order. They told me that the PZ700U is currently a discontinued model and it's direct replacement is the PZ80U. Panasonic has confirmed this. What I can't get is that there are no reviews or information on the new anti glare screen. All the other specs minus the sound seem to be superior.

1000000 hours
3 hdmi ports


However , power consumption and screen height is less. There are also is no woofer on this model only left and right speakers. Although speakers don't really matter to me since I will be using a 6.1 system.Should I wait or take the deal? I am a little hesitant to take it since this model just shipped and there are no reviews on it yet. But , I can't wait any longer . I placed this order over president's day. I am thinking about cancelling and going with another vendor. Panasonic and the internet vendor said that the anti reflective screen is an improvement over the 77U that was released earlier this year. What I couldn't get info on is whether the screen is dull like an LCD. I have heard alot of complaints from users on this forum that the anti reflective screen on the PZ77U somewhat makes the picture less appealing to the 700u. Any advice or info on the PZ80u would be greatly appreciated.

Here is panasonic's product comparison between PZ700U,PZ77U, and the PZ80U.

http://www2.panasonic.com/webapp/wcs...112102|177930|
post #247 of 269
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clamshell73 View Post

They told me that the PZ700U is currently a discontinued model and it's direct replacement is the PZ80U. Panasonic has confirmed this.

Panny confirmed to you that the PZ80U is a direct replacement of the PZ700U????

Was this by Email, some CS rep on the phone?

Based on all current info available that seems to be absolutely incorrect. The PZ800U is the direct replacement of the 700U. The 85u is a step down and the 80u is a step further down! It is the entry level model in the line up.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clamshell73 View Post

Panasonic and the internet vendor said that the anti reflective screen is an improvement over the 77U that was released earlier this year. What I couldn't get info on is whether the screen is dull like an LCD. I have heard alot of complaints from users on this forum that the anti reflective screen on the PZ77U somewhat makes the picture less appealing to the 700u. Any advice or info on the PZ80u would be greatly appreciated.

Also this is not what I have read on these threads so far....most people say that it is slightly better than the AR on the 700u but not as good as the AG on the 77u and also that it is not a dull screen like the 77....you should go and check out the px80 or pz80/85 for yourself at a CC or BB store....
post #248 of 269
Quote:
Originally Posted by am777 View Post

Panny confirmed to you that the PZ80U is a direct replacement of the PZ700U????

Was this by Email, some CS rep on the phone?

Based on all current info available that seems to be absolutely incorrect. The PZ800U is the direct replacement of the 700U. The 85u is a step down and the 80u is a step further down! It is the entry level model in the line up.....



Also this is not what I have read on these threads so far....most people say that it is slightly better than the AR on the 700u but not as good as the AG on the 77u and also that it is not a dull screen like the 77....you should go and check out the px80 or pz80/85 for yourself at a CC or BB store....

people keep saying that the 80 and 85's are steps down simply because they are number extensions of the 77u (which mind you was extremely close to the 700u in itself).

So i ask, technically, why wouldny you consider even the 80u to be a suitable 700u replacement?

yes yes i know as far as numbering schemes go the 800u is the next step up, but from what i'm aware, technically even the 80u should be a better tv than the 700u, it should have a newer processor, all the same capabilities, and improved specs. (and the same AR type screen, rumored to a be a little improved actually, panasonic has dumped the matte screen completely now).
post #249 of 269
Quote:
Originally Posted by spincut View Post

people keep saying that the 80 and 85's are steps down simply because they are number extensions of the 77u (which mind you was extremely close to the 700u in itself).

So i ask, technically, why wouldny you consider even the 80u to be a suitable 700u replacement?

yes yes i know as far as numbering schemes go the 800u is the next step up, but from what i'm aware, technically even the 80u should be a better tv than the 700u, it should have a newer processor, all the same capabilities, and improved specs. (and the same AR type screen, rumored to a be a little improved actually, panasonic has dumped the matte screen completely now).

One difference is the 700U has a much better speaker ensemble than the pz80, and pz85.
post #250 of 269
Quote:
Originally Posted by noisy123_madison View Post

One difference is the 700U has a much better speaker ensemble than the pz80, and pz85.

I guess i dont think of these things, since i always presume people buying these tv's spring for some sort of sound system to match.

But purely screen wise, i beleive that even the 80 is a step up.
post #251 of 269
Quote:
Originally Posted by am777 View Post

Panny confirmed to you that the PZ80U is a direct replacement of the PZ700U????

Was this by Email, some CS rep on the phone?

Based on all current info available that seems to be absolutely incorrect. The PZ800U is the direct replacement of the 700U. The 85u is a step down and the 80u is a step further down! It is the entry level model in the line up.....



Also this is not what I have read on these threads so far....most people say that it is slightly better than the AR on the 700u but not as good as the AG on the 77u and also that it is not a dull screen like the 77....you should go and check out the px80 or pz80/85 for yourself at a CC or BB store....

Panasonic's rep on the phone said there isn't a PZ800U and if you look on Panasonic's website the only available PZs for 08 are the PZ85U and the PZ80U. The rep told me on the phone that the 8 in the model number actually signifies the model year. The rep said they have dropped the addtional 0 on the 08 models. But , yes it was a CS rep that I spoke to . As I said before the link shows that the PZ80U has more available features than the PZ700 with an additional HDMI port. The vendor is willing to sell me this for just over 2k. I thought it wasn't a bad deal since the lowest price I found was 2499 for this model. I asked the rep about why the price was less than their PZ700U retail price. She explained that they are trying to gain more share of the market. Blah blah blah. The only downside to this TV that I can see is that it has less speakers and the height is just a bit smaller .

In regards to your statement about people on the site preferring the 77U over the 700U. I would have to disagree. I posted a question regarding the screen quality between the 700U and 77U. Most people that replied to my question preferred the 700u. In fact some of these people had actually owned the 77U and returned it for the 700u. It had alot to do with the picture not being as bright with the anti reflective filter. Do you own a 700u or 77u? Because I think you need to check the site again to get your facts straight.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...3#post13147443
post #252 of 269
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clamshell73 View Post

There rep on the phone said there isn't a PZ800U...

There isn't currently a PZ800U, but there will be. It's already been announced.
post #253 of 269
Quote:
Originally Posted by JCBoomer View Post

There isn't currently a PZ800U, but there will be. It's already been announced.

Where ? I have also found nothing on google.....

http://www2.panasonic.com/webapp/wcs...001&Ntt=PZ800U
post #254 of 269
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clamshell73 View Post

Where ? I have also found nothing on google.....

http://www2.panasonic.com/webapp/wcs...001&Ntt=PZ800U

http://www.amazon.com/Panasonic-Vier.../dp/B00142JKSG
post #255 of 269
I've posted this before & here it is again:
2007 - 2008
PX75U = PX80U
PX77U = No Replacement Model
No Previous Model = PZ80U
PZ77U = PZ85U
PZ700U = PZ800U
PZ750U = PZ850U

PX80U Entry Level 768p Model
PZ80U Entry Level 1080p Model
PZ85U Middle Of The Line 1080p Model
PZ800U Top Of The Line 1080p Model

PZ850U Is A Top Of The Line Model made for upscale Audio/Video stores the same kind of stores that would handle the Pioneer "Elite" line.

The 800 & 850 have not been released yet that's why there not up on Panny's website. If you think we are making up the 800 & 850 they have appeared in Panasonic's Press Releases which you can Search for on Panny's website. The 800/850 models will also be THX Certified & etc.

Hate to say it but don't llisten to CR's ask for tech's instead & you'll usually get the correct info & etc because all the CR's are doing is looking at their computers & passing the info in them on.
post #256 of 269
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clamshell73 View Post

Where ? I have also found nothing on google.....

How can you NOT find info on the PZ800U? It's discussed right here on AVS in the huge Panasonic 2008 Lineup thread and other threads, and lots of hits via Google. It's also on Panasonic's Press Release
post #257 of 269
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill1313 View Post

I've posted this before & here it is again:
2007 - 2008
PX75U = PX80U
PX77U = No Replacement Model
No Previous Model = PZ80U
PZ77U = PZ85U
PZ700U = PZ800U
PZ750U = PZ850U

PX80U Entry Level 768p Model
PZ80U Entry Level 1080p Model
PZ85U Middle Of The Line 1080p Model
PZ800U Top Of The Line 1080p Model

what is the point of listing this...why does a new model have to necessarily replace an old model? can't they just release a new line to replace the old line without having to match model for model... this makes no sense to me.
post #258 of 269
Quote:
Originally Posted by spincut View Post

I guess i dont think of these things, since i always presume people buying these tv's spring for some sort of sound system to match.

But purely screen wise, i beleive that even the 80 is a step up.

spincut, i agree with you in the sense that purely PQ wise, on paper the specs of the 80u are greater than the 700u so technically (on paper) it should appear to be a better set. But on the other hand how they actually implement all the other video related parts in there, processing, etc, and what the end result looks like remains to be seen.

As you say it could turn out that purely PQ wise the 80u is actually better than the 700u. But as noisy123 correctly pointed out other "features" like sound, vga, # of connections, etc. make up the rest of the package and in that sense the 80u will probably not be an upgrade from the 700u.

Like you I also tend to assume that everyone connects audio separately and was kind of at a loss thinking about the differences when noisy123 mentioned the audio part and that reminded me
post #259 of 269
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clamshell73 View Post

In regards to your statement about people on the site preferring the 77U over the 700U. I would have to disagree. I posted a question regarding the screen quality between the 700U and 77U. Most people that replied to my question preferred the 700u. In fact some of these people had actually owned the 77U and returned it for the 700u. It had alot to do with the picture not being as bright with the anti reflective filter. Do you own a 700u or 77u? Because I think you need to check the site again to get your facts straight.

Clamshell73, I understood your question (quoted below) to be regarding the "Anti Reflective/Glare" properties of the screen, NOT any percieved effect on PQ that it may create. My answer to you was "....most people say that it is slightly better than the AR on the 700u but not as good as the AG on the 77u". It is accepted by a majority that the AG on the 77u is superior to the AR on the 700u from an "Anti Reflective/Glare" perspective.

You first asked about the AG/AR properties and are then applying my answer in the context of it's effect on PQ.....those are 2 different things

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clamshell73 View Post

Panasonic and the internet vendor said that the anti reflective screen is an improvement over the 77U that was released earlier this year. What I couldn't get info on is whether the screen is dull like an LCD.
post #260 of 269
fireballz, Yes they can & I was just trying to show what Panny did with the 2008 models compared to last years 2007 models.

And if you don't want to pay any attention to the 2007 model line don't, just compare how "all" the new 2008 Panny models stack up against each other.

The electronic industry seems to have taken their maketing plans from the car companies, sometimes there are replacement models, sometimes there are discontinued models & sometimes there are brand new model lines.

But would you let some car dealer tell you for a few hundred dollars more he'll give you the brand new Camero in place of your year old Corvette? & also there is no new Corvette this year because it's not listed on their website or in their computers.

And for 2009 when Panny has their new plant open that's when there is suposed to be some really big changes, just think about that as the same as when GM comes out with an all new "Redesigned" from the ground up Corvette & not a carry over model.
post #261 of 269
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clamshell73 View Post

What I can't get is that there are no reviews or information on the new anti glare screen.

Panasonic and the internet vendor said that the anti reflective screen is an improvement over the 77U that was released earlier this year. What I couldn't get info on is whether the screen is dull like an LCD. I have heard alot of complaints from users on this forum that the anti reflective screen on the PZ77U somewhat makes the picture less appealing to the 700u.

Spent 2 hours in BB last week comparing the 77u to the 80u. Even tho they weren't side-by-side, it was easy to tell the difference. As many have pointed out, the 77u's screen is matte & dull, making it appear MUCH like a LCD, hence the likely reason Panasonic dumped the AG.

I gave each plasma numerous angle tests using BB's giant wall of front windows & the overhead bank of lights...looking at each plasma with it on & off. No question, the 77u does a fantastic job of attenuating glare. It was just like watching a LCD, a matte, dull look.

The 80u didn't attenuate the glare as much. As someone in another thread pointed out, with the plasma off, the light seemed to reflect in a "cross-hatch" pattern. The best example I can give is it seems to reflect it in a "kaleidoscope" manner or like light reflecting through a prism or a diamond. It reflects the light off-center instead of a direct reflection like a mirror or standard plasma.

The 80u exhibited all the great PQ as standard plasmas. The picture was sharp, crisp & clear. As someone described, it's like looking out a window...because a plasma is, after all, glass.

The 77u is, as someone described, like looking at a painting. The picture was not sharp nor crisp nor clear.

Now, perhaps the 77u & 80u are near equal in PQ in a dark room...I dunno...don't have the opportunity to evaluate as such, but in daylight with overhead lights, the 80u was MUCH clearer. And it's new AR seemed to do a fair job of reflections.

The ONLY thing about the 80u I completely dislike is the bottom sliver of the plasma. The black speaker grilles leave a lot to be desired, visually. It resembles some 90s CRTs' speaker grilles...quite ugly, IMO.

The PZ77u is FAR superior in shell appearance vs. the 80u.

But other than that, the 80u wins out in every other aspect for me.

My one & only plasma is a 50PX600u, which I am very happy with except for the gray-colored shell. My next will be a 50PX80u, which is going in the living room. The 50PX600u is retiring to the bedroom.
post #262 of 269
Cloth Speaker Grille's on the PX80? "Ouch" & nobody mentioned that before, is that true? From the picture's I've seen it looks like the speaker opening is made up of tiny holes.
post #263 of 269
On the 42PX80U I saw at BestBuy, the "grill" is just a bunch of holes in the otherwise solid lower-front plastic bezel on that set.

While I'm on the subject of the cabinet though, I thought the metallic-looking "frowning arch" trim detail looks ridiculous on the PX80 (& PZ80 for that matter).
I can't understand why they would bother to out something shiny like that on the product...but then again, I prefer a very subdued plain styling over flashy "look at me" types of designs.
post #264 of 269
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill1313 View Post

Cloth Speaker Grille's on the PX80? "Ouch" & nobody mentioned that before, is that true? From the picture's I've seen it looks like the speaker opening is made up of tiny holes.

Allow me to correct myself. Dunno why I added "cloth." The speaker grilles are perforated black plastic. And they are fugly. The holes are not as tiny as the side-mounted speaker Pannys & it shows, which is the problem. And I concur with avslogin...the "frowned" bottom of the 80u is atrocious. It angles inward as well...making it stand out even more. Panasonic should have used the side-mounted speaker design...the holes are next to invisible, making the side-mounts attractive. Or at least stuck with the px75u look. The pics of the 80u on the net do not show how ugly the bottom sliver of the 80u really is...one really needs to see one in person.

Panasonic should have stuck with the px75u look...nothing wrong with that look. The perforated holes on that model are next to invisible, unlike the 80u.
post #265 of 269
just for the record, here's a new pdf that someone posted in the main 2008 panny thread that shows exactly which 2008 model replaces which 2007 model (as per panasonic) -

http://www.brightandsleek.com/pdf/Pa...ison_chart.pdf

it should answer the speculation about whether the 80u or the 85u was the replacement for the 77u (the 80u is, the 85u is a new line).

of course purely PQ wise we'll have to see how they all compare to the 2007s....could be that the lower end models perform better than say the 700u....

EDIT - here it is for the record in case the link dies at some point....

px75 = px80
pz77 = pz80
xxx = pz85 (new for 2008)
pz700 = pz800
pz750 = pz850
post #266 of 269
Quote:
Originally Posted by rscotta831 View Post

Allow me to correct myself. Dunno why I added "cloth." The speaker grilles are perforated black plastic. And they are fugly. The holes are not as tiny as the side-mounted speaker Pannys & it shows, which is the problem. And I concur with avslogin...the "frowned" bottom of the 80u is atrocious. It angles inward as well...making it stand out even more. Panasonic should have used the side-mounted speaker design...the holes are next to invisible, making the side-mounts attractive. Or at least stuck with the px75u look. The pics of the 80u on the net do not show how ugly the bottom sliver of the 80u really is...one really needs to see one in person.

Panasonic should have stuck with the px75u look...nothing wrong with that look. The perforated holes on that model are next to invisible, unlike the 80u.


I'm ALMOST positive the speaker covers are black metal, or plastic. I was at Circuit City today looking at the 24 inch PX80 and the cover did NOT look like cloth, which has a rather distinctive appearance..................Well,
WHOOPS just got off the phone with the guy at Circuit City and he said: "the front speaker cover is definitely METAL!!" BTW, I'm sure glad its NOT cloth.
post #267 of 269
Right. I corrected myself. Not cloth, but large perforated metal or plastic speaker grilles. Still fugly.
post #268 of 269
PZ800 and PZ850s are shown in the Panasonic literature found in Canada!
post #269 of 269
Will the PZ800U Have a better video processing than the PZ85U?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Plasma Flat Panel Displays
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Plasma Flat Panel Displays › Panasonic Released 2008 info on 80 and 85 series [NO PRICE TALK PLEASE]