Originally Posted by jsbtn
Although it seems like no one who has posted on this thread has had issues with the update download, I thought I would post my experience in the event that it may help someone who could be having issues.
I tried for a week to download the update (more appropriately, my 3808ci tried over and over again, rendering it useless when connected to my network). To a novice like myself, it appeared as though it was updating - it would cycle through the various components but would then fail at Ether WP. In actuality it wasn't updating at all.
I played around with numerous settings in my router. The combination which seemed to work was disabling Universal Plug n Play (UPnP) and the DHCP server, assigning a static address to the receiver. Under this configuration, the update finally took place.
Of course, this may simply have been a coincidence, maybe the Denon servers started working, the stars aligned, etc. But if you are having difficulty downloading the update, you may give this a try.
Wow, seems like someone had the same problem I do (I say I do as I still do).
My saga begins with failing updates pretty early in the process. I started trying to update the firmware right after I got my 3808 the 2nd week in January. It actually never gave me a failed message, it just took my entire network (router) down. It was a Linksys and when it failed the 'internet' LED went from green to yellow. A power cycle was required to get things back working again. Being an IT person for like, say over 25 years I researched the router and what it meant when that LED turned yellow (nothing in the router's log as it simply 'went to lunch). Linksys doesn't even know what it means. Looking back after discovering this site, it might be the plug and play being enabled, I might attempt again with this router, but read on...
To make a long story a little shorter, and not easily being able to direct-connect the 3808 to my cable modem, I remembered I had a Netgear prosafe vpn router. I put that in place and low and behold I got the update......well, until the Ether part. and it failed. Nothing I seem to do gets it past that point and like mentioned above, if I leave the ethernet cable connected the unit goes into an automatic firmware upgrade rendering it un-useable. Fortunately I do not use internet radio or music sharing, it's just a freakin' pain to reset all of my parameters every time I try (sometimes they go away, sometimes they don't, and of course do go away when I do a full reset). If I'm quick enough I can do it in the web interface BEFORE the unit goes into an automatic upgrade attempt.
Ok, so the story isn't so short. I haven't tried this in the last 3 weeks or so. Reading that there is a Feb update AND the suggestion that jsbtn posted, I figure I'd try again. It started updating everything again (probably due to the Feb release), but fails on the Ether still. To make matters worse, without the ethernet cable attached, it still attempts an update (displays the message on the front). I though this was due to me giving it a static IP and it being dumb enough to try without a link. I was wrong.. set it back to DHCP and it still tries.
Maybe I'll break down and get my roll of cat5 and make a 100' cable and run directly to the cable modem and give that a whirl.
Thanks for putting up with my vent. Fortunately the unit still works and it hasn't become a brick, it just has a perpetual message about attempting the update and the connection failed!