Originally Posted by rshanahan View Post
Wow, seems like someone had the same problem I do (I say I do as I still do).
My saga begins with failing updates pretty early in the process. I started trying to update the firmware right after I got my 3808 the 2nd week in January. It actually never gave me a failed message, it just took my entire network (router) down. It was a Linksys and when it failed the 'internet' LED went from green to yellow. A power cycle was required to get things back dworking again. Being an IT person for like, say over 25 years I researched the router and what it meant when that LED turned yellow (nothing in the router's log as it simply 'went to lunch). Linksys doesn't even know what it means. Looking back after discovering this site, it might be the plug and play being enabled, I might attempt again with this router, but read on...
To make a long story a little shorter, and not easily being able to direct-connect the 3808 to my cable modem, I remembered I had a Netgear prosafe vpn router. I put that in place and low and behold I got the update......well, until the Ether part. and it failed. Nothing I seem to do gets it past that point and like mentioned above, if I leave the ethernet cable connected the unit goes into an automatic firmware upgrade rendering it un-useable. Fortunately I do not use internet radio or music sharing, it's just a freakin' pain to reset all of my parameters every time I try (sometimes they go away, sometimes they don't, and of course do go away when I do a full reset). If I'm quick enough I can do it in the web interface BEFORE the unit goes into an automatic upgrade attempt.
Ok, so the story isn't so short. I haven't tried this in the last 3 weeks or so. Reading that there is a Feb update AND the suggestion that jsbtn posted, I figure I'd try again. It started updating everything again (probably due to the Feb release), but fails on the Ether still. To make matters worse, without the ethernet cable attached, it still attempts an update (displays the message on the front). I though this was due to me giving it a static IP and it being dumb enough to try without a link. I was wrong.. set it back to DHCP and it still tries.
Maybe I'll break down and get my roll of cat5 and make a 100' cable and run directly to the cable modem and give that a whirl.
Thanks for putting up with my vent. Fortunately the unit still works and it hasn't become a brick, it just has a perpetual message about attempting the update and the connection failed!
Originally Posted by captavs
You might verify Internet radio connectivity is working first and then attempt the update per the Denon instructions and experiences posted. What firmware module #'s is your receiver now?
Ok, I ran a DIRECT cable from my cable modem to the 3808. Attempted firmware several times.. it jumps right to EtherWP (approx. 7 min). Goes to 6 min then jumps to 8, down to 7, down to 6 then back to 8. It NEVER times out..I eventually just turned it off. I was watching the led's on the cable modem noticing activity (good), but seeing the local connection LED going off occasionally. I said hmmmm. Up at the receiver I put a switch between the modem and receiver. The link for the receiver drops every once in a while then turns back on (like the Denon is re-initializing the ethernet adapter), but just goes through the loop.
I reset it (soft) to keep it from re-attempting a firmware download and low and behold I can LEAVE it attached to my network (by this time I put my router/infrastructure back in place). I was able to re-configure all of my inputs and assignments (that's ALL I do so far until this thing is stable).
Internet radio works, btw..1st time I have tried it, might have to use it, eventually, but leaving the lan cable off for now.
My current firmware versions are, well, a mixture. List below (using the Denon firmware instructions 'names')
Main - 1.69
Sub - 0.78
DSP1 - 36.56
DSP2 - 39.45
FPGA - 00.50 (unchanged)
GUI Config - A070629B (unchanged)
GUI Serial - P0007621 (unchanged)
- D37750008 (different but might be normal)
DM850 BL - 200707020733 (unchanged)
DM850 IMG - 200709050353
DM850 WEB - 200709050354
DM850 CNE - 20070905
Looks like I still have f/w from September.