or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Receivers, Amps, and Processors › The Yamaha RX-V663 thread. HDMI 1.3 upconversion, TrueHD, DTS MA decoding.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The Yamaha RX-V663 thread. HDMI 1.3 upconversion, TrueHD, DTS MA decoding. - Page 359

post #10741 of 11036
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddy_winds View Post


Did you try 7-channel enhancer

Or

5.1 + PLx movies or music etc,,

What's better?
post #10742 of 11036
PLXII setting is on automaticaally with the sci-fi mode and does matrix 2ch to 7.1 but when 5.1 programming comes on, the PLXII light goes off and only 5.1ch are used.

Is there a way to manually add PLXII do a 5.1ch input? There's got to be something really simple I'm missing here...
post #10743 of 11036
Quote:
Originally Posted by help_me_please View Post


Is there a way to manually add PLXII do a 5.1ch input?

Go to Sound Menu - EXTD SUR

AUTO - Activates the optimum decoder to play back
signals in 6.1/7.1 channels when this unit
recognizes a signal flag being input.

PLIIxMovie - Plays back Dolby Digital or DTS signals in 7.1
channels using the Pro Logic IIx movie decoder.

PLIIxMusic - Plays back Dolby Digital or DTS signals in 6.1/
7.1 channels using the Pro Logic IIx music
decoder.

EX/ES - Plays back Dolby Digital or DTS signals in 6.1/
7.1 channels using the Dolby Digital EX or DTSES
decoder.

OFF - Does not use any decoders to create 6.1/7.1
channels.

page 90-92 manual
****

Be sure to save the settings-

OPTION MENU- INIT. CONFIG

Select - LAST
Automatically selects the last decoder mode
setting used for the connected input source.

page 96-98 manual
****

Quote:
Originally Posted by centauro74 View Post

What's better?

What do I like better...

99% of the time I use (PLIIxMovie) setting
post #10744 of 11036
^^ thanks I'll give that a try...
do these new settings affect sports or sci-fi modes?
post #10745 of 11036
If i change the settings in sound menu to plxII will it apply also to 5.1 hd audio?
post #10746 of 11036
Quote:
Originally Posted by help_me_please View Post

^^ thanks I'll give that a try...
do these new settings affect sports or sci-fi modes?

Not sure..

I never use sports or sci-fi modes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by help_me_please View Post

If i change the settings in sound menu to plxII will it apply also to 5.1 hd audio?

Yes
post #10747 of 11036
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddy_winds View Post

Not sure..

I never use sports or sci-fi modes.



Yes

you don't use the 4 scene buttons?
what settings do you have it on? pure direct? then input PLXII in the sound menu ontop of that?
post #10748 of 11036
Quote:


you don't use the 4 scene buttons?

Yes, For Sat TV, PS3, etc..

Quote:


then input PLXII in the sound menu ontop of that?

Correct


Quote:


pure direct?

With pure direct mode = No Video output
post #10749 of 11036
It seems You didn't understand. As simple as possible: Yamaha has 1V/1.2 kOhm preout level, Sony has 1V/200 Ohm. With Yamaha I have to set maximum volume level on Sansui, with Sony only 30% to get THE SAME sound level on speakers. Why is that ?Does impedance quantity make the difference ?
post #10750 of 11036
Quote:
Originally Posted by cavu View Post

It is completely NORMAL. You have two volume controls in series !!!

The Sansui power amp volume control should be set to match the volume of the other speakers powered by the Yamaha in your system for any given setting of the Yamaha volume control.

It seems You didn't understand. As simple as possible: Yamaha has 1V/1.2 kOhm preout level, Sony has 1V/200 Ohm. With Yamaha I have to set maximum volume level on Sansui, with Sony only 30% to get THE SAME sound level on speakers. Why is that ?Does impedance quantity make the difference ?
post #10751 of 11036
PLXII vs STRAIGHT?
I always watch Blu-ray's using straight,is there any advantage or disadvantage to using PLXII instead of STRAIGHT?
post #10752 of 11036
Quote:
Originally Posted by snyper99 View Post

PLXII vs STRAIGHT?
I always watch Blu-ray's using straight,is there any advantage or disadvantage to using PLXII instead of STRAIGHT?

If you have a 7.1 system and want to use all your speakers you need to use PLIIx with most Blu-rays, since there aren't many with 7.1 sound tracks. But IIRC the 663 won't let you engage PLIIx with a DTS-HD MA bitstream, so you'll need to decode to PCM in the player in this case.
post #10753 of 11036
Quote:
Originally Posted by snyper99 View Post

PLXII vs STRAIGHT?
I always watch Blu-ray's using straight,is there any advantage or disadvantage to using PLXII instead of STRAIGHT?

That's the same way I watch on mine, straight and PLXII movie active on the menu.
post #10754 of 11036
Thanks Eddie for all your help, have input PLXII and now all speakers in the 7.1 setup play.

Another question for you, was watching Terminator salvation wich is DTS-MA 5.1, the fat ps3 is set to LPCM and the info during play back reads DTS-MA 5.1 but the inputs on the 663 only light up L/R while HDMI input is on. Is there a reason for this or something else I'm missing?
post #10755 of 11036
Quote:


Is there a reason for this or something else I'm missing?

Clean & retry the disc..

Your other BR's work ok?

Maybe a bad copy of Terminator salvation
post #10756 of 11036
a bad copy?? i don't know... select button on the ps3 remote reads DTS-MA 5.1
are my settings correct on the fat ps3 set to LPCM?
normally the 5.1 inputs should light up and not the L/R like i am right now?
i'll try out another blu ray disc as soon as have another one

when i play ps3 games that are dts 5.1, all 5.1 inputs light up...
post #10757 of 11036
Hello

I'm trying to connect a new blue ray player to my receiver via the DVD In HDMI 1 connection. The receiver doesn't seem to recognize the player, and when. If i connect the player directly to the tv via HDMI it works fine. Any suggestions?

thanks
post #10758 of 11036
Quote:
Originally Posted by nichodav View Post

Hello

I'm trying to connect a new blue ray player to my receiver via the DVD In HDMI 1 connection. The receiver doesn't seem to recognize the player, and when. If i connect the player directly to the tv via HDMI it works fine. Any suggestions?

thanks

Hi nichodav, try connecting to the other HDMI ports.
post #10759 of 11036
thanks JChin. I connected it to the port that i have my xbox plugged into and that worked. unfortunately i only have the dvd in port free. do i somehow need to assign that port?
post #10760 of 11036
Quote:
do i somehow need to assign that port?

Yes
post #10761 of 11036
ok, i'm getting there - how do i assign the port?
post #10762 of 11036
Quote:
Originally Posted by nichodav View Post

Hello

I'm trying to connect a new blue ray player to my receiver via the DVD In HDMI 1 connection. The receiver doesn't seem to recognize the player, and when. If i connect the player directly to the tv via HDMI it works fine. Any suggestions?

thanks

Did you go into input menu and set the settings?
post #10763 of 11036
On the controller hit menu and then select the third one down I believe for input. Select whatever name like the DVD one and select HDMI 1 for both video and audio if you pluged into hdmi 1.
post #10764 of 11036
Quote:
Originally Posted by nichodav View Post

thanks JChin. I connected it to the port that i have my xbox plugged into and that worked. unfortunately i only have the dvd in port free. do i somehow need to assign that port?

Yes as others has posted, Press "Amp", "Menu" > Manual Setup > Input Menu
post #10765 of 11036
Thanks very much to both of you - I'm up and running. I was having a heck of a time accessing the menu until I realized I needed to hit AMP before going into the menu. I really appreciate the help.
post #10766 of 11036
Does anyone know if the 2nd Zone on this receiver is powered? I'm looking at installing two outdoor rock speakers for my newly installed inground pool. Any feedback/suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
post #10767 of 11036
Quote:
Originally Posted by nichodav View Post

Thanks very much to both of you - I'm up and running. I was having a heck of a time accessing the menu until I realized I needed to hit AMP before going into the menu. I really appreciate the help.

I bought a cheap HDMI switch from monoprice for $26 and now I am able to plug 5 hdmi sources into the amp.
post #10768 of 11036
Quote:
Originally Posted by PJStyles View Post

Does anyone know if the 2nd Zone on this receiver is powered? I'm looking at installing two outdoor rock speakers for my newly installed inground pool. Any feedback/suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

PJ

Do you currently own the 663?

This pic shows the rear of it and yes they are powered.
http://images.amazon.com/images/G/01...rxv663rear.jpg

Hope that helps,
dbl
post #10769 of 11036
Yes that does help. Follow-up question, I"m looking for a rock speaker to put in my backyard to provide music via my Yamaha V663 that is in the family room. I'm going to be running burial speaker wire into my backyard and was wondering what your thoughts were on this:

http://www.ticcorp.com/rock_speaker_tfs12.htm

This rock speaker is a 2 channel stereo speaker. The other option is to go for a full range rock speaker such as this one:

http://www.ticcorp.com/rock_speaker_tfs11.htm

I'm not sure which would provide the better output for my usage. Any suggestions/recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

P.S - My backyard is 28ft x 46ft wide. The rock speaker would be located along my back fence and pointing towards the sitting area of my backyard.

Thanks
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbldare View Post

PJ

Do you currently own the 663?

This pic shows the rear of it and yes they are powered.
http://images.amazon.com/images/G/01...rxv663rear.jpg

Hope that helps,
dbl
post #10770 of 11036
PJ

I am no outdoor rock speaker expert so please take this with a grain of salt.

They both seem to have the same 8" woofer, but the "12" series has two tweeters. It has stereo capabilities, but I really don't think that you'll notice too much stereo separation coming from the same box (rock). That being said, I think I'd still go with the "12" because it does have two tweeters and that might help with the reproduction of the highs outdoors. You can always adjust the eq on them to tame the sound "down" but you can't get highs out of something that isn't there to begin with.

Hope that made sence.
Good luck.
dbl
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Receivers, Amps, and Processors
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Receivers, Amps, and Processors › The Yamaha RX-V663 thread. HDMI 1.3 upconversion, TrueHD, DTS MA decoding.