or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › HDTV › Local HDTV Info and Reception › Columbia, SC - HDTV
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Columbia, SC - HDTV - Page 335

post #10021 of 10058
Has anyone been able to sign up for Sports Pass for the Red Zone?
post #10022 of 10058
Any idea if TWC is going to add HD on the BBC America On Demand.

...and while I question on issue, I will give credit for getting NFL network. Love the station that just shows highlights in basically real time from all the games instead of having to watch the 1-2 boring ones that play in the area.
post #10023 of 10058
Could someone tell me what the newest (best?) HD DVR available from TW is? I do not have "Whole House". I took in a dead 8640 HDC and they tried to swap it for an 8300. The lady said that the only difference was the color!!
post #10024 of 10058
Here in Greenwood, SC (which is part of Greenville, SC DMA) I can pick up off and on signals of adjacent Columbia, SC stations of WIS 10, WLTX 19, WOLO 25, WRLK 35, sometimes WACH 57 and WKTC 63 over the air but mostly during the nighttime. I've really enjoyed the WIS News 10 Sunrise promos where the anchors Hannah, Len, and Ben get up early out of their beds and go to work at WIS-TV.
post #10025 of 10058
Has anyone noticed audio problems during Chicago Fire on NBC? For the last few weeks, I've been getting some distortion, mostly when the soundtrack is louder. It actually sounds a lot like the tinnitus I had after spending too much time at the range without good hearing protection. It's only during the program (not during commercials) and not during other shows.

I'm watching in HD on DirecTV.

Heath
post #10026 of 10058
Quote:
Originally Posted by PHRoberts View Post

Has anyone noticed audio problems during Chicago Fire on NBC? For the last few weeks, I've been getting some distortion, mostly when the soundtrack is louder. It actually sounds a lot like the tinnitus I had after spending too much time at the range without good hearing protection. It's only during the program (not during commercials) and not during other shows.

I'm watching in HD on DirecTV.

Heath

i visited AVS tonight to post this same question. I've also noticed it during other shows on NBC, but it seems to be most prominent on Chicago Fire. I get WIS on Directv and OTA and the problem is on both sources.
post #10027 of 10058
I sent an email to the tech. guy at WIS last night about the same time I posted this. He said he's going to check on it... I'll post up any response I get.

I'm glad to know it's not just me!

Heath
post #10028 of 10058
Great, thank you. I was hoping someone had an email address for a technical contact at WIS.
post #10029 of 10058
Has anyone else noticed that on WOLO closed captions from the local Charlotte FOX new station bleed through to ABC Columbia between the hours of 10 and 11PM? It only occurs during quiet passages, when there is no dialog on the show. if there is dialog, then the appropriate captions are displayed.
post #10030 of 10058
Quote:
Originally Posted by blizz View Post

Has anyone else noticed that on WOLO closed captions from the local Charlotte FOX new station bleed through to ABC Columbia between the hours of 10 and 11PM? It only occurs during quiet passages, when there is no dialog on the show. if there is dialog, then the appropriate captions are displayed.

Should be more better now..
post #10031 of 10058
I haven't heard the buzzing on WIS recently. Hopefully that issue has been corrected.
post #10032 of 10058
It's been a couple of weeks since I've checked. Chicago Fire is in reruns, so I've been deleting without watching... I'll try to check it again this week. Apparently I'm set up to record all episodes.

Heath
post #10033 of 10058
Those who have OTA, DirecTV, or Time Warner Cable, don't panic. Folks who have DISH Network...DO PANIC. Raycom has pulled it's stations off of DISH Network because they failed to reached an retransmission consent agreement, which means no more WIS News 10 and your favorite NBC shows like AGT, Today Show, Days of our Lives, The Tonight Show with Jay Leno, Late Night with Jimmy Fallon, Last Call with Carson Daly, Sunday Night Football, NBC Nightly News with Brian Williams, Meet The Press, Dateline NBC, etc. Also no more Rick Henry, John Farley, Ben Wise, Jack Kuenzie, and all your favorite WIS News 10 reporters you adore.

Retransmission consent disputes are too common and controversial these days and it's still a growing problem.
post #10034 of 10058
Many dish receivers have OTA capabilities. If more people used them, they wouldn't need retrans agreements!
post #10035 of 10058
Quote:
Originally Posted by ejb1980 View Post

Many dish receivers have OTA capabilities. If more people used them, they wouldn't need retrans agreements!

The retrans laws were written in 1992 and unfortunately have stayed the same since technologies have changed. Google AMERICAN TELEVISION ALLIANCE for details.
post #10036 of 10058
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpencerKarter85 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejb1980 View Post

Many dish receivers have OTA capabilities. If more people used them, they wouldn't need retrans agreements!

The retrans laws were written in 1992 and unfortunately have stayed the same since technologies have changed. Google AMERICAN TELEVISION ALLIANCE for details.

 

 

The list of "partners" reveals some bias. That site is pushing the point of view of the cable and satellite companies.

 

http://www.americantelevisionalliance.org/partners/

post #10037 of 10058
Quote:
Originally Posted by veedon View Post


The list of "partners" reveals some bias. That site is pushing the point of view of the cable and satellite companies.

http://www.americantelevisionalliance.org/partners/

Don't give me biased nonsense veedon. Currently there are 75 blackout in 52 markets, a record set so far and the madness has to stop, period!
post #10038 of 10058
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpencerKarter85 View Post

The retrans laws were written in 1992 and unfortunately have stayed the same since technologies have changed. Google AMERICAN TELEVISION ALLIANCE for details.

There are no retrans laws with OTA. Meaning, if more people used it, it wouldn't matter if the channel was dropped. Why pay for something that you can get free? I miss the days when you could opt-out of locals on satellite and save $5/month.
post #10039 of 10058
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpencerKarter85 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by veedon View Post


The list of "partners" reveals some bias. That site is pushing the point of view of the cable and satellite companies.

http://www.americantelevisionalliance.org/partners/

Don't give me biased nonsense veedon. Currently there are 75 blackout in 52 markets, a record set so far and the madness has to stop, period!

From my perspective as an OTA viewer, the blackouts are working nicely.

Eventually the cable companies decide to pay up to have the right to carry the stations, and that helps keep local broadcasting viable.

 

Cable and satellite TV viewers must be OK with it, too, because they keep right on paying for TV programming.

post #10040 of 10058
Quote:
Originally Posted by veedon View Post

From my perspective as an OTA viewer, the blackouts are working nicely.
Eventually the cable companies decide to pay up to have the right to carry the stations, and that helps keep local broadcasting viable.

Cable and satellite TV viewers must be OK with it, too, because they keep right on paying for TV programming.

You look like you're a proponent on retransmission consent. Sorry, I have to disagree with you. But it's still the law.
post #10041 of 10058
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpencerKarter85 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by veedon View Post

From my perspective as an OTA viewer, the blackouts are working nicely.
Eventually the cable companies decide to pay up to have the right to carry the stations, and that helps keep local broadcasting viable.

Cable and satellite TV viewers must be OK with it, too, because they keep right on paying for TV programming.

You look like you're a proponent on retransmission consent. Sorry, I have to disagree with you. But it's still the law.

 

I just don't like cable companies having so much power.

The only way their power will fade is if people get fed up with them and decide that it is not necessary to pay a lot of money for TV programming.

 

I find it laughable when cable companies try to play the victim.

The cable companies have been raising rates and adding charges for every little thing for years.

And now they want to complain about having to pay the broadcasters? Cry me a river!

post #10042 of 10058
Quote:
Originally Posted by veedon View Post

I just don't like cable companies having so much power.
The only way their power will fade is if people get fed up with them and decide that it is not necessary to pay a lot of money for TV programming.

I find it laughable when cable companies try to play the victim.
The cable companies have been raising rates and adding charges for every little thing for years.
And now they want to complain about having to pay the broadcasters? Cry me a river!



Correction...Broadcasters always win, but consumers are the victims of so-called retransmission consent disputes. CBS and Time Warner Cable are in an ongoing battle as well. I told you Retransmission Consent disputes are common and also controversial as well. It's okay to get an OTA antenna to receive free broadcast signals of the big four networks (ABC, CBS, NBC, FOX), but some people who's signals are weak aren't lucky. End of story!
post #10043 of 10058
Will TWC carry Fox Sports 1?
post #10044 of 10058
as far as I know, it will Speed channel 512. Will become Fox Sports 1.
post #10045 of 10058
In Los Angeles, TWC has taken the Lakers away from broadcast TV and is charging DirecTV and others a pretty penny for the rights to carry the sports channel that TWC owns. Next year TWC is doing the same thing with the Dodgers. So in those negotiations TWC will be playing the Les Moonves role and demanding that providers such as DirecTV pony up the money that the content is worth.
post #10046 of 10058
Quote:
Originally Posted by veedon View Post

In Los Angeles, TWC has taken the Lakers away from broadcast TV and is charging DirecTV and others a pretty penny for the rights to carry the sports channel that TWC owns. Next year TWC is doing the same thing with the Dodgers. So in those negotiations TWC will be playing the Les Moonves role and demanding that providers such as DirecTV pony up the money that the content is worth.

I have DirecTV in LA and my bill has an additional charge of $2.00 per month to watch the Lakers. So as every one is saying, DirecTV will agree to pay the higher charges TWC wants since all they will do is pass it on to the subscribers whether you watch the Lakers or not. I read that a subsciber got the $2.00 charge removed since she says she doesn't watch any sports.
post #10047 of 10058
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdfox18doe View Post

Should be more better now..

This has started happening again, also between 10pm and 11pm, and appears to be the captions from wolo news which broadcasts as 11pm?
post #10048 of 10058
Is anyone on here using an Antenna and getting WZRB The CW in Sumter?
I can't seem to tune this one in.
post #10049 of 10058
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcosson View Post

Is anyone on here using an Antenna and getting WZRB The CW in Sumter?
I can't seem to tune this one in.

Here in Greenwood, SC (which technically part of the Greenville/Spartanburg, SC DMA) I can get weak signals of the big 4 major network stations (plus PBS and MNT) from Columbia, SC. But it's hard to get WZRB 47 here. Over the air I get WYCW 62 from GSP and WAGT 26.2 from Augusta, GA which are CW affiliates and the latter is a CW Plus station just like Charleston, SC's WCBD 2.2 aka Lowcountry CW 14.
post #10050 of 10058
WZRB being SOLD (pending FCC approval):

WZRB Columbia, S.C. — PRICE: $2,000,000 BUYER: Radiant Life Ministries Inc (Michael Daly, secretary) SELLER: Roberts Broadcasting Co (Steven Roberts, member) FACILITIES: DTV Ch. 47, 240.000 kW, ant. 630 ft. AFFILIATION: IND BROKER: Media Venture Partners

Update:

http://www.bizjournals.com/stlouis/blog/2013/12/judge-approves-creditors-proposal-in.html
Edited by bdfox18doe - 12/11/13 at 1:09pm
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Local HDTV Info and Reception
AVS › AVS Forum › HDTV › Local HDTV Info and Reception › Columbia, SC - HDTV