or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Receivers, Amps, and Processors › The Official INTEGRA DTR-7.8 Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The Official INTEGRA DTR-7.8 Thread

post #1 of 134
Thread Starter 
Couldn't find an official thread for the DTR-7.8 and since I am the proud new owner of one, I wanted to get the thread started.

Still in the process of getting everything wired up (still waiting on my new Denon 2500 Blu-Ray to be delivered), but so far VERY IMPRESSIVE!

More info to come once I get everything setup and running.


http://www.integrahometheater.com/mo...&m=DTR-7.8&p=i

http://www.bigpicturebigsound.com/in...r78-1207.shtml
post #2 of 134
Nice. I have the 7.8 on my short list to audition along with the 6.8. I am interested to know what you think of it. Let us know.
post #3 of 134
Thread Starter 
Next step completed. I finally have all the speakers set up. I am only running 5.1, but with the 7.8 (as well as most 7.1 receivers) I am taking advantage of the other two channels and bi-amped my Infinity IL-40's.

I just ran through the Audyssey MultEQ XT configurations yesterday. The process was very easy and it does make the room sound that much better.

The final steps of the hook up will be the week once my Blu-Ray player arrives from Denon.

So far the room has been tested with my DVD player (DVDs and CDs) and my 360. Once the Blu-Ray is here, I will get all the video appliances hooked up and running and re-programmed in my Harmony 880.
post #4 of 134
7.8 is a big step-up compared to 6.8 when it comes to build quality & amp section. It is heavier than 6.8 by over 20lbs & is also THX Ultra2 certified if that matters to anybody.
post #5 of 134
Thread Starter 
Fully agree Vinod. The 7.8 is massive! If you are looking at the 7.8 be sure you have somewhere to put it that will support its size as well as a lot of room to breathe. This unit throws a lot of heat and needs the room (I actually removed a shelf from my rack to give it the extra space).

I will attach some pics once I get everything hooked up and finalized.
post #6 of 134
Wow that is a fairly big difference in size and weight. I didnt look at those specs. I would have to make sure our cabinet could hold the 7.8. I'm confident the wife wont let me upgrade our cabinet too

One of our local dealers are supposed to be getting the Integra line in sometime in the next couple of weeks, cant wait to listen to them.

What speakers are you running on yours?
post #7 of 134
Thread Starter 
I am currently running Infniity Interlude series (IL 40 (bi-amped), IL 25C, IL 25, and Velodyne 10" sub).

Next years investment will be upgrading to Focal. I listened to their Chorus and Profile lines where I bought my receiver and blu-ray player and they are awesome! My speakers sound soooo much better, but it is time for a new set to match all the appliances
post #8 of 134
You biamping the front speakers with the 7.8?
post #9 of 134
Thread Starter 
Yes, the IL-40's support bi-amping. Very easy setup and calibration for the 5.1 system. Once you set the rears to bi-amp instead of surround the rest of the setup auto-detects the bi-amping. I just upgraded all my wiring to 12 gauge Monster THX certified when I unhooked my other receiver.
post #10 of 134
I am the proud new owner of an Integra 7.8 as well. Sounds great so far. I just added a Panasonic BD30 player and all my equip, BD30, Toshi A-30, and Directv HD box are connected to it via HDMI. My question is , how do I access the new surrond formats? Dolby+, Dolby HD, DTSHD etc. My receiver is passing audio for all the componenets as well as video via HDMI. Everything is defaulting to DPLII. I am not even getting DD. I know I am missing some tiny detail in setup. Both HD disc players are set to bitstream.
post #11 of 134
If i remember correctly you need to set Digital Direct Audio Mode to on in the Toshiba
and select the HD track in the DVD menu. not sure about the Pana.
Digital Out SPDIF- Bitstream
Digital Out HDMI- Auto
Digital Direct Audio Mode- on

Digital Direct Audio Mode
To output high bitrate audio to a connected amplifier equipped with Dolby Digital Plus, Dolby TrueHD or DTS-HD decoder.
On High bitrate audio output is enabled. (Sub audio and effect audio are disabled.)
Off High bitrate audio output is disabled.
Notes
• This selection is available only when the player is connected to an amplifi er equipped with Dolby Digital Plus, Dolby TrueHD or DTS HD
decoder.
• To obtain high bitrate audio output, “Digital Out HDMI” ( page 22) needs to be set to “Auto”.
post #12 of 134
Thread Starter 
Let me take a look. You are one step ahead of me I am waiting for my Denon Blu-ray before I go through all the video setup and re-programming my 880 Harmony remote with all the goodies.
post #13 of 134
Quote:
Originally Posted by javman97 View Post

Yes, the IL-40's support bi-amping. Very easy setup and calibration for the 5.1 system. Once you set the rears to bi-amp instead of surround the rest of the setup auto-detects the bi-amping. I just upgraded all my wiring to 12 gauge Monster THX certified when I unhooked my other receiver.

If i have a 5.1 and use zone 2, the rears power zone2... correct? If a 7.1 is used, and zone 2 is turned on, the rears shut down, and the system runs as a 5.1. I think this is what i read about the 8.8(7.8 may be the same?).
But what if you bi-amp the mains, and turn on zone2?
How does this all work.
Right now i'm considering the 7.8. I was between the 9.8 and 8.8, but i think thats overkill for my use. I'm only running a 720p pj, and dont think i need the better video chip. I may be better w/ the 7.8 and adding a separate video scaler if i think i need one.
post #14 of 134
I am fairly sure all the settings on the Toshiba and the Panasonic are correct. I beleive i am missing something simple on the Integra. I just cannot seem to figure out what it is. The manual does not really elaborate on this specific issue.
post #15 of 134
Man this is driving me nuts! I went through the setup on all my componenets and I can get nothing but DPLII, THX cinema, PLII movie, or music. Still no DD or any of the new formats. I have no clue what I am missing.
post #16 of 134
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlvswoll View Post

I am fairly sure all the settings on the Toshiba and the Panasonic are correct. I beleive i am missing something simple on the Integra. I just cannot seem to figure out what it is. The manual does not really elaborate on this specific issue.

There's no setup that needs to be done to the Integra. I have the Integra 8.8 and setup nothing on it to get the HD formats.
It's up to the player to send the HD format and the receiver decodes it, you also have to make sure you select the HD track on the HD-DVD or BluRay menu of the movie.
You could also check the threads for each of your players and find some information in there about setup of the players.
post #17 of 134
That is what i thought, however, I cannot even get regular DD on any of the sources including my DirecTV receiver which is set to output sound via DD. Everything just goes to PLII . When I switch through surround modes they will not output anything DD. I will try a SD DVD tonight that is DD or dts COMPATIBLE and see what happens. So far I have only played with my HD discs.
post #18 of 134
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlvswoll View Post

That is what i thought, however, I cannot even get regular DD on any of the sources including my DirecTV receiver which is set to output sound via DD. Everything just goes to PLII . When I switch through surround modes they will not output anything DD. I will try a SD DVD tonight that is DD or dts COMPATIBLE and see what happens. So far I have only played with my HD discs.

So have you figured out how to get all the DD, DTS audio formats yet? I am seriously looking hard at this receiver and want some more input. I am surprised that there are only 16 replies to this thread. Isn't this receiver supposed to be one of the best on the market for the price?
post #19 of 134
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by rr330i View Post

If i have a 5.1 and use zone 2, the rears power zone2... correct? If a 7.1 is used, and zone 2 is turned on, the rears shut down, and the system runs as a 5.1. I think this is what i read about the 8.8(7.8 may be the same?).
But what if you bi-amp the mains, and turn on zone2?
How does this all work.
Right now i'm considering the 7.8. I was between the 9.8 and 8.8, but i think thats overkill for my use. I'm only running a 720p pj, and dont think i need the better video chip. I may be better w/ the 7.8 and adding a separate video scaler if i think i need one.

You are correct, the 7.8 is just like the 8.8. If you are using zone 2, your 7.1 will turn into 5.1. If you are bi-amping, you will run into the same situation. the 7.8 utilized those inputs for zone 2/3 and if you are running 2 or 3 you are limited to 5.1.
post #20 of 134
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by JEFFREY GTS View Post

So have you figured out how to get all the DD, DTS audio formats yet? I am seriously looking hard at this receiver and want some more input. I am surprised that there are only 16 replies to this thread. Isn't this receiver supposed to be one of the best on the market for the price?

Hopefully I am getting my blu-ray player this week and I can take on this task, but I am with the post above, if you have the inputs coming in properly from the appliances the 7.8 will auto-detect the formats.

I did a quick connection to my dvd player and played regular and DTS dvd's to see how the new receiver sounded vs. my old Onkyo and it was auto-detecting the DTS format when DTS was selected in the DVD audio menu.
post #21 of 134
OK, I am officially ready to give up on this damn thing. 5 days and still no luck. I checked all settings on all components. Everything is correctly set. My Xbox360 will run in DD, and DTS depending on the movie. Every source that is connected via HDMI will play only in DPLIIx. I have adjusted everything I can get a menu on. My HD DVD and Bluray player will show DD when powered on, however as soon as you start a movie regardless of what you select in the menu for audio they both change to DPLII and display HDMI through on the display of receiver. There is only one setting to obtain DD on my HDSAT box and it is set to ON as well. Does anyone have a number for Integra. I could not find one on their website? The most frustrating part of all is my whole set up was working great on my Marantz and I made the swap to pick on the new surround formats. Now I cannot even get what the old reciever put out flawlessly. I feel like I have to be missing something as this issue only affects the HDMI components. I am getting scared when everyone says that all this should take place automatically. HELP. This thing is far to heavy to throw without hurting my back. LOL
post #22 of 134
Do you have a dealer? He should be able to assist you on these issues.
post #23 of 134
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlvswoll View Post

OK, I am officially ready to give up on this damn thing. 5 days and still no luck. I checked all settings on all components. Everything is correctly set. My Xbox360 will run in DD, and DTS depending on the movie. Every source that is connected via HDMI will play only in DPLIIx. I have adjusted everything I can get a menu on. My HD DVD and Bluray player will show DD when powered on, however as soon as you start a movie regardless of what you select in the menu for audio they both change to DPLII and display HDMI through on the display of receiver. There is only one setting to obtain DD on my HDSAT box and it is set to ON as well. Does anyone have a number for Integra. I could not find one on their website? The most frustrating part of all is my whole set up was working great on my Marantz and I made the swap to pick on the new surround formats. Now I cannot even get what the old reciever put out flawlessly. I feel like I have to be missing something as this issue only affects the HDMI components. I am getting scared when everyone says that all this should take place automatically. HELP. This thing is far to heavy to throw without hurting my back. LOL

mlvswoll, go to setup and make sure that HDMI audio is set to "Off" (Page 109 in the DTR-7.8 manual).
post #24 of 134
Hunter67 you are the man!!! That was the snag. I knew all the settings on my sources were correct. When i read over that section I left HDMI out set to on because I misunderstood that would allow me to utilize tv speakers in the event i did not want to turn on the receiver. I now realize how silly that is considering it routes the signal to the tv. That setting basically routes all audio to two-channel mode and prohibits surround settings from activating. I appreciate the assistace of everyone here greatly. There is always a brief learning curve when swapping receivers and changing brands. Good thing there are forums like this to help assist in smoothing out the transition.

Thanks all, Mike
post #25 of 134
Man I feel stupid now, I knew it was something simple as it only affected my HDMI sources.

Thanks again guys.
post #26 of 134
OK, what kind of $ should i be expecting to pay?? hi - low range?
post #27 of 134
Quote:
Originally Posted by rr330i View Post

OK, what kind of $ should i be expecting to pay?? hi - low range?

I believe that the MSRP on this is $1300. I got mine for significantly less than that.
post #28 of 134
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by rr330i View Post

OK, what kind of $ should i be expecting to pay?? hi - low range?

$1300 is the MSRP, but the dealer I went through gave me a very nice discount. I did go a little crazy and bought the 7.8, a Denon 2500 Blu-Ray player, new HDMI cables and 75' of THX cert speaker wire. All in all, I ended up getting about $400-$500 in discounts (could have been more, but they could only move $50 on the Denon).
post #29 of 134
Hey guys, hit a little snafu, don't think it's in the manual, so any help is appreciated.

Right now I'm just running a 2.0 system through my 7.8. When I have the receiver on "CD" and am listening to music, I can't adjust the volume using the master volume dial on the receiver, only using the volume control on the remote. If I turn the master volume dial, the input changes to "CBL/SAT" input and then the receiver won't accept commands either from the remote or via button push on the receiver for about 10 seconds. Is there some setting I am missing? Totally baffled...so, any suggestions on what to do so I can adjust volume using the dial? Thanks!

-Tyler
post #30 of 134
Well, i have my 7.8 hooked up, and ran into 2 snags.
1. What is the code so i can use the remote for my toshiba A3.
i tried the 3 codes for toshiba dvd, and none seem to work.
2. I have my Wii hooked up via component in/hdmi out, and the picture is only in 4:3. Before i had the 7.8 it was component to component and it was 16:9. what am i missing?

and i just double checked and ran the Wii via component out, and its stretching the pic to fill the screen.
no biggie, would just be nice to have it fill. i guess cause its 480i or 480p, that the hdmi is sending it 480p, and that what the pj is seeing. the 7.8 is not changing it to 720 for 16:9.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Receivers, Amps, and Processors
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Receivers, Amps, and Processors › The Official INTEGRA DTR-7.8 Thread