After looking everywhere for a suitable solution to mounting my center channel above my plasma tv, I decided to build my own solution. Being that every plasma is optionally meant to be mounted on a wall (mine being roughly 130 lbs), I felt that it was safe to assume that the existing mounting on the back on the tv would easily handle the weight of my center channel and those much larger if necessary. The entire project cost me roughly $25. Note that I already had the appropriate mounting bolts and washers.What you need
I have a 65″ Panasonic TC-P65S2 and these are the parts I used. Of course, adjust the parts based on the size you require for your set.
* (2) 12″ Shelving brackets (link
* (2) 30″ Shelving rails (link
* (4) 8mm x 40mm bolts, please note the size of the bolt depends on your set, so please consult your owners manual for the size of the mounting bolt.
* (4) 8mm washers
* (6) medium felt pads --placed on shelving rails to protect tv (link
* (1 or 2) wood plank or shelf
* (2) rubber wedge door stops to angle speaker down to listening area (link
ratchet, dremel or drill and bit large enough to drill holes for the mounting bolts (if needed).Instructions
I attached a shelf bracket to one of the rails and lined up where the shelf would line up with the top of the set. Matched the rail up to both of the mounting bolts on the back of the tv. I then used a dremel to cut out the areas of the rail corresponding to each mounting bolt. Lastly, I attached three medium furniture felt pads to each of the two shelving rails to provide a buffer between the rails and the back of the tv.
Once both rails are completed all that is needed is to attach the rails to the rear of the TV using the mounting bolts. I ratcheted the bolts down to semi-hand tight and added the brackets and the shelf. Here are my finished results: