AVS Forum banner

Radio Shack STB Clearance Sale

160K views 751 replies 212 participants last post by  vgs86 
#1 ·
I don't know how long this clearance sale will last but the Radio Shack 16-3499, the Accurain HST 6000, is on sale for less than $90. Picked one up about one hour ago and so far much better than the Sammy SIR-T351.

#27 ·
I had to buy one of these given the price. I was not expecting much out of this STB but I am impressed.

The 49% signal seems to be a default on the meter even if there is no carrier present.

I found I needed 59-60% to get a lock with this unit.

The meter with the S/N ratio that was mentioned above is also the first I have seen and

is great for tweeking.

What really blew me away was my Dish 6000 box on my CM 4228 with a rotor would have to have a perfect day to lock my NBC local "UHF 15" it never picked it up with a scan.

I pointed with a close guess and the first scan on this RS unit picked it up and locked it

and it is still holding great.

Changing channels seems pretty fast to me. The only real fault I could find was the IR remote has to be pretty well aimed.

TNX for the heads up, I think it's a great box for the $$$$$

CustM

#28 ·
Raddiux,

Picked one up in Bloomington IN this afternoon.

Seeing the same thing here. If I tune to a channel with nothing on it, the signal level stays at 49% with no movement. If I tune to a channel with a weak signal, the level will fluctuate between 0% and 49%, but I don't get a lock until 50%+.

Jerry

#29 ·
There still seem to be a few of these in the Portland, OR area (I got mine at the N. Lombard store and they still had a few). It was a bit absurd having the sales guy try to sell me a $130 HDMI cable for a unit that cost less than $90 (that was the cheapest HDMI cable they stock).

I'm running into the same 49% issue, which is a bit odd since all I am 18 miles away from every digital station and they are all within about 3 degrees of one another at that distance (all located in roughly the same place in W. PDX). I would think that if I could get one station I would be able to get them all. Guess I'll have to get on the roof and verify the direction my antenna is pointing (I haven't been up there for years).

#30 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfath /forum/post/0

Raddiux,

Picked one up in Bloomington IN this afternoon.

Seeing the same thing here. If I tune to a channel with nothing on it, the signal level stays at 49% with no movement. If I tune to a channel with a weak signal, the level will fluctuate between 0% and 49%, but I don't get a lock until 50%+.

Jerry

Its odd, but i'm actually able to get a stable HDTV stream at around 20-30% signal. Below 20% and it starts to stutter and break up. If I manually punch in some channel that I know doesn't exist, then I will get a low 5% signal or so, so I know that means there is nothing there. I'm still not really sure what the 49% means. According to AntenaWeb, my channel 11(WPIX) is in the same location as my channel 5(FOX) and 9(UPN), and while I get 5 and 9 perfectly, all I get is that empty 49% for 11. Strange.

Actually, I just moved into this house, so the antenna and the lines that are run are still a bit of a mystery to me. From what I can tell, there is also a dish on top of the house that is run into a "3 in - 4 out" type box. There are currently 2 dish inputs filled, and the 3rd one is for the regular antenna. Is it possible that somehow dish signals are mixing in with the antenna signal and corrupting something, even though I have no dish receiver hooked up?

#31 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAX HD /forum/post/0

Rack,

Can you check and see if this box will scan for new channels/updated PSIP when turned off? The Humax has this feature,which would be great for unattended Dx.

Thanks

http://community-2.webtv.net/GregBarker/DXPHOTOS/

The manual didn't seem to mention anything like that. I guess I could clear off the channels and let it sit for a while. Or see if it picked up any Milwaukee stations from last night.

#32 ·
Well I had to tweak my antenna to get all my local HD channels but managed to find them and get locks, except for our low VHF CBS station at 3 VHF. I can get this one if if move the antenna to the second floor but that task goes on the list. I also get Fox out of Milwaukee. My indoor antenna is the Radio Shack 15-1880 and I too get the 49% on empty channels with the amp on and gain turned all the way up. With the amp off I get 49% on assigned locals that seem to be off air, WCIU and WGBO and around 5% on empty channels. What fooled me was the local Fox station at 31 UHF was giving me a hard time. Turns out I had to turn the amp off and it is rock solid. What I found handy with the signal strength meter was the S/N ratio. I had a signal as low as 50% but the SNR was in the low 20's and the reception was rock solid. It seems that a SNR of 18 or 19 is where the reception is lost.

Fast channel changing won't be an issue since I have to tweak the antenna for a few stations. However, channel changing does seem quicker than it was when it was first set up.

I also find the remote a little weak. For normal viewing I use a Harmony with no problem but while I was tweaking and playing I used the Radio Shack remote and found it a pain. My next step is to hook into my AV receiver and see what it does with Dolby Digital.

I'm happy that you all were able to benefit from this sale. Like I said when I first saw the price on the web site, I thought it was a misprint. It seems like a great value so far.

#34 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfath /forum/post/0

I've seen a couple of references to the onscreen S/N display, yet I only see signal strength on mine. Different firmware, or am I looking in the wrong place? I'm looking at the menu/channel/signal strength screen.

Jerry

Only visible when you use the 'METER" button on the remote.

#35 ·
Now does this support QAM or not.

From the Ratshack page

HDTV tuner enables HD-ready TVs to receive HDTV signals from cable or outside antenna.

It says CABLE?

under spec's

HDTV (ATSC) tuner

I do not think it does QAM

I did find one note at http://www.16nine.com/

RadioShack Launches Accurian HDTV STB

RadioShack has joined the HDMI set-top box fray with the RadioShack Accurian HTS 6000 (US$250) tuner that receives both cable and OTA HDTV signals.

The devices features an IPG, most likely from Gemstar-TV Guide, and an aspect ratio control that allows one to zoom in on screen while viewing. While the first question most will have is whether this is a fifth-generation chip, the only info we have is that the NIM module is a Thomson Multimedia DTF8600.

#43 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diode1 /forum/post/0

The unit indeed has the Thomson DTF8600 tuner.

In addition, if you open the hood, you may find surface jumper leads (two green wires) from the sgi chip going to resistors.

The main board has www.dstreamtech.com

Can we say very naked inside this unit, not much to it.

Just tried it also, no QAM.

Did you see a IEEE1394 connector on the board when you opened it up?

The block diagram on this page indicates IEEE1394...?

#44 ·
No, I did not; I will have to open it up again,

The tuner on this is vertical, not like that diagram.

I have two Samsung SIR-T165 units with the 1394
hence the reason I did not look very closely.

Quote:
Originally Posted by keenan /forum/post/0

Just tried it also, no QAM.

Did you see a IEEE1394 connector on the board when you opened it up?

The block diagram on this page indicates IEEE1394...?

#45 ·
I"m the new owner of a panasonic 30wc15 and accurion box. Picked up both today.

Apparantly i do not understand the instructions in setting up the products.

I have cable from the wall and i also bought an indoor antenna. I am not sure where the antenna gets connected to or the cable from the wall. I have tried both connecting the cable from the wall into the accurion and the antenna to the cable connection of the hdtv. and I reversed it. Both times the accurion and tv do not recognize each other. I have used both types of cable that comes with the accurion into the tv. Your help in receiving ota with the accurion and panasonic 30 inch achieving the desired results of getting hd channels in las vegas is appreciated. Thanks in advance

#47 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlrtime /forum/post/0

Can anyone tell me if I would find noticeable improvement over a RCA DTC 100 DTV receiver?

Thinking about jumping on this but don't want to was $90.

Thanks

As a DTV DXer (receiving distant DTV stations), I was curious to compare this unit to some of my other STBs. I just picked up the RS unit today. During the past hour I compared its tuner sensitivity and decoding/holding abilities next to the RCA DTC100, LG LST-3100A and Humax HFA100. I have each unit connected to the same outdoor antenna setup and a separate monitor for each STB so as I changed stations and/or rotated the antenna I could try to evaluate which unit found and decoded the station first and then as the signal got weaker, by rotating the antenna, which unit lost the signal/lock first and which one held the signal/lock the longest.

My personal results so far are very much like past comparison tests I've conducted here and at other locations with various STBs. They're all over the place! For one station, the DTC100 actually fared the best with the RS being the worst. For two different stations, the Humax fared the best with the RS coming in second among the four. The RF-air channels tested were 11, 14, 48 and 54. I've noticed in other similar comparison tests that some STB units seem to work better at particular channels than others (ie....VHF channels; low UHF channels; high UHF channels). The RS unit appeared to receive channels 11 and 14 better than the high UHF channels of 48 and 54.

For DXing purposes, aiming the antenna is very critical so I do really like the signal meter/SNR screen. It seems to be quite sensitive and gives a wide range of readings.

I don't know if this helps anyone or not at this point. I need more time to conduct more tests with other stations.......Of course, your reception and mileage may vary.

Steve

#48 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldrich /forum/post/0

As a DTV DXer (receiving distant DTV stations), I was curious to compare this unit to some of my other STBs. I just picked up the RS unit today. During the past hour I compared its tuner sensitivity and decoding/holding abilities next to the RCA DTC100, LG LST-3100A and Humax HFA100. I have each unit connected to the same outdoor antenna setup and a separate monitor for each STB so as I changed stations and/or rotated the antenna I could try to evaluate which unit found and decoded the station first and then as the signal got weaker, by rotating the antenna, which unit lost the signal/lock first and which one held the signal/lock the longest.

My personal results so far are very much like past comparison tests I've conducted here and at other locations with various STBs. They're all over the place! For one station, the DTC100 actually fared the best with the RS being the worst. For two different stations, the Humax fared the best with the RS coming in second among the four. The RF-air channels tested were 11, 14, 48 and 54. I've noticed in other similar comparison tests that some STB units seem to work better at particular channels than others (ie....VHF channels; low UHF channels; high UHF channels). The RS unit appeared to receive channels 11 and 14 better than the high UHF channels of 48 and 54.

For DXing purposes, aiming the antenna is very critical so I do really like the signal meter/SNR screen. It seems to be quite sensitive and gives a wide range of readings.

I don't know if this helps anyone or not at this point. I need more time to conduct more tests with other stations.......Of course, your reception and mileage may vary.

Steve

My experience with the RS unit pretty much reflects yours. I'm fringe as well(60 mi and hilly terrain). I compared it with the Dish 942 receiver and a Mits display ATSC tuner and the Dish unit came out on top. It would lock and hold the signal quicker and for longer than the Mits, with the RS unit last. The RS unit actually scanned more channels than the Dish unit but wouldn't hold them as well as the Dish tuner.

I do like that signal meter though, it is very handy when rotating the antenna.

#49 ·
Getting ready to get my first STB and since my box of choice, the LG LST 4200A, can not be found wondering if folks had an opinion on whether the RS tuner would work well experience given the following:

-26 miles to signal towers per antennaweb

-Clear line of site with no obstructions

-I live on a small hill

$90 is not a lot of money but having never used a STB, I don't want a huge hassle factor trying to get HD OTA with the RS box. I don't mind spending $300 on another type of tuner if that gets me significant extra performance (I understand the RS model does not have DVI to match my DVI ready tv but I can live with that for now).

#50 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by sullly11 /forum/post/0

Getting ready to get my first STB and since my box of choice, the LG LST 4200A, can not be found wondering if folks had an opinion on whether the RS tuner would work well experience given the following:

-26 miles to signal towers per antennaweb

-Clear line of site with no obstructions

-I live on a small hill

$90 is not a lot of money but having never used a STB, I don't want a huge hassle factor trying to get HD OTA with the RS box. I don't mind spending $300 on another type of tuner if that gets me significant extra performance (I understand the RS model does not have DVI to match my DVI ready tv but I can live with that for now).

The RS unit should work great with those conditions. You can get a HDMI>DVI converter for about $25.

#51 ·
I was playing with my HTS 6000 today, and I noticed that inside, there's a little red LED next to the tuner itself. It would turn on whenever the signal wasn't decodable. Sometimes just a blip that wouldn't even register in the sound or video, and with longer and more frequent blips, the audio would drop out and the video would start to break up, and if the light was on for more than like 50% of the time, there wouldn't be enough good bits to even pretend to play anything. But you can only see it if you look through the vents of the STB, odd that they kept that kind of functionality hidden (it also blinks twice on channel changes, if you're looking for it and are cursed with great signals.
). . It's just about the quickest way to determine if the stream itself or the signal strength is the cause for a random glitch.

I think the Sasem USB box has a similar LED on the front. PhilJSmith67 likes to call it "the idiot light".

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.