AVS Forum banner
45K views 289 replies 25 participants last post by  jnnt29 
#1 · (Edited)
3/7/2021- the never ending project. Over the past year I have added new to me Klipsch KLF10 towers for my L/R fronts, two SVS subs ( PB2000 Pro & PB1000 Pro), and moved my Klipsch RB-81II to my rear Surrounds. The sound is incredible!

7/15/2019- My system has dramatically changed. We moved from our home in NJ to the beaches of Delaware. Since moving to Delaware I have build a 7.2.4 home theater in my basement. here are some updated pictures.

8/13/2016Here I have attached an update picture of my system as of today. It has changed dramatically since beginning this page. Thanks for looking! The picture is at the bottom of the page. JT

All of you have great set ups. Mine is simple but does the job until the day I can have a dedicated home theater room. I made the entertainment unit that houses my equipment. I’ve been into electronics since I was 12 and have a grave yard of electronics in my attic. It seems as formats change so do my electronics. My home theater is modest and is the best my budget would allow.

My setup is as follows:
Family Room

46” Panasonic Plasma TH-C46FD18
Pioneer Elite AVR VSX-80TXV
Panasonic Blu Ray Player DMP-BD55
Toshiba HD DVD Player HD-A30
Panasonic DVD Recorder DMR-ES25
Motorola QIP 7216 FIOS DVR
Oakton K412 Vintage Loud speakers for L/R Fronts
Boston Acoustics Micro 120 Center and L/R Surrounds
Polk PSW-10 Subwoofer
Harmony 676 Remote
Custom made entertainment center

Attachments

See less See more
Reactions: ss nimrod
#3 ·
Thank you

#5 ·
Which Elite AVR do you have. What is you set up like?

#6 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnnt29 /forum/post/18139686

Which Elite AVR do you have. What is you set up like?

Mine is a little outdated now. I have the Elite VSX-52TX. I guess the only thing it dont have is HDMI. I bought it just before HDMI became the normal. Oh well,...I wanted an ELITE since I was about 17 and finally got one. Maybe I will update in a couple years I dont know..

My setup is nothing totally fantastic. I have a 32" Samsung lcd, the ELITE, PS3 slim,Sony dvd/cd player,4 BOSE 301 series IIIs, some off brand rear surrounds and an off brand center. Sony VLP-AW10 projector and self made 110" drywall screen. 3 DIY subs.

#7 ·
I like how you made your system work. I started out 30 years ago with Stereo equipment. The front speakers that I currently use are the same one I picked up 30 years ago and they still sound great. Even though you have some older pieces I'm sure they still sound great. In 2001 when I got a 32" Sony Wega I got my first Pioneer DVD player and Pioneer VSX 21 Elite AVR. Now I can't stop. I'm on my second Plasma and have been upgrading when possible. I am currently auditioning new L/R fronts to replace my 30 year old Oaktons.

#8 ·
well, i'm impressed! nice.

#9 ·
Thank you. I trying make it the best it can be for what I have. I have system envy after viewing all these great systems.

#10 ·
What kind of speakers are those Oaktons?

#11 ·
Oaktron made speakers from the 1950 to 1990 for other companies, such as HH Scott and others. In 1978 or so they bought a cabnet company and produced a line of speakers under the names of Wrightwood and Oaktron. In 1990 Oaktron was aquired by MiTek and the line seemed to fade away. I have an origional broshure that I will scan in and try to display.

#12 ·
I have attached the scan of the broshure from Oaktron in 1980

#14 ·
Nice. Sorry to misspell their name. What kind of speakers are they though? Horns? Something else? How do they sound? Do you have the original drivers and crossovers or did you replace everything?

#15 ·
That's how all the speakers were. Bigger was better.

They have a 10" rubber edge woofer, 5" cone midrange, dome tweeter and a 12" passive radiator. All drivers and the crossover are origional with the exception of the passive radiators. They sound so good. I'm trying to find a replacement for them, but can't find anything that I can afford the has the same sound quality.

The ones that I have are not the Huge one on the cover.

#16 ·
Good to see you're still using original parts (mostly). I can imagine how full the sound is. Sometimes buying new doesn't necessarily get you better sound.

#17 ·
Your right about that. The sound is balanced and smooth. This is a hobby that there is always a newer, better or different "got to have" piece of electronic out there and sometimes it's hard to keep up. But it's great to see what will come out next and share it with others who enjoy it as well.

#18 ·
Some updated pictures. The Polk Sub and some pictures of the Oaktrons.

#19 ·
Those cabinets look pretty sturdy. I bet you don't get any resonance or stray vibrations from those speakers, do you?

#20 ·
Not at all they’re each nearly 70 pounds! They were put together well. When I was in HS my electronics teacher used to sell these and was able to get a gross of cabinets with out any speakers in them and we would add the drivers and crossovers. We would use Seas, Peerless, and Phillips in them. They sounded very good back then (1980).

#22 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by hikarate /forum/post/18182831

"They don't make them like they use to."

I love the look of those speakers.

Thank you, I agree they do look great. This is what makes it so hard to replace them.

#23 ·
Hey Jnnt,

Welcome to our little family here at WYSC. Thanks for posting your pictures so that I can see them while I am at work. I am also admiring those Oaktrons. I see they have a passive radiator on the back of them just like my Klipsch Forte II.

Anyway you have done a fine job on your system and it is definitely worth more than a dime. You built a very nice entertainment center too. I wish I had carpenter skills like that. I won't even tell you what I spent on my credenza. Where were you when I needed one?

Again welcome and keep us up to date when you put another item in the attic. That will mean you bought something new. And we like pictures.

Right pcweber?

#24 ·
HTG, thank you for the welcome and the kind words. I will let you know when the next item hits the attic!

#25 ·
I forgot to ask you where in Northern NJ? I spent my first 16 years in NJ. 5 years in Bloomfield and 11 years in Parsippany.

#26 ·
I'm in Livingston. I worked in Parsippany for 20 Years and had relitives in Bloomfield. Are you still in the northeast?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.