AVS Forum banner

BIGmouthinDC travels to Ohio to help build a Dennis Erskine designed space

196K views 370 replies 95 participants last post by  RH55 
#1 ·
UPDATE: Yes today I pile my tools in the 4runner and head back to Ohio. Major items on the list are all the trim molding, light fixtures, Acoustic and Fabric treatments, Projection booth exhaust fan, Sit at bar construction. Graphic Eye install, DIY Screen and hanging the Projector.

PART I I'm starting a new project, I loaded most of my tools in my SUV and headed for NE Ohio. I'll be staying in a Hotel and seeing how fast we can get this one built.

The theater owner started some time ago by getting a detailed set of plans developed by Dennis in the summer of 2010. Progress was painfully slow after that with life getting in the way. So I got asked to come over and lend a hand, We are going to see how far/fast we can take this project over the next 9 days.

So we have a set a plans for a 2 rows, plus bar in a width constrained space.

The room has been framed using a true Room within a Room approach and a second set of ceiling joists have been strung hanging lower than the originals.

I arrived at 5 tonight and we assembled some backer boxes and finished running a couple of ducts, tomorrow we will finish and install the boxes, pull in some wiring, run some more ducts and insulate. Maybe get started with the first layer which is going to be OSB for rigidity of the Room within a Room structure.

See less See more
#2 ·
Get a good night's sleep - sounds like some late nights coming this week! Looking forward to watching this one rip through.

#4 ·
The wall framing is attached at the top with only isolation clips. The second set of joists rest on the walls and do not touch the sub floor above so there is no mechanical connection between the theater framing and the rest of the house.

#6 ·
This is going to be an interesting ride! You will shame many of us that are taking, months, years even to accomplish what you will get done in 10 days.

When not hanging my head in shame and embarrassment I will be following this thread closely.

Cheers

Greg

#7 ·
Congrats Big. This will be an interesting ride.

For the rest of us who are looking at our build taking years....remember:
  • Big has done this a few times before (this is his fourth+ theater).
  • He has the knowledge and tools necessary to make quick progress.
  • He is motivated (I assume he's charging money for this).
  • He's got a great set of plans to work with, designed by a true professional.
  • He's also got Dennis as a backup in case he needs advice.
  • He's got the time to be fully dedicated to this project!

Any one of these would cause most DIY builders to speed up. Having all six (particularly items 1, 2, 4, and 6), would cause us to go into light speed.

Godspeed Big! We're all pulling for you and looking forward to another great "Built By Big" project!

#9 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by damelon /forum/post/21294253

I think he needs a sticker or a fabric patch or something.

"Built BIG" or "Big Built" could be the brand. haha.

Maybe something like a brass plaque or the like. Or better yet...nothing. I bet Dennis doesn't clutter up a beautiful space with an ad.

I can see him making quite the business out of this. He's got the time, the skills, and the resources to pull this off. When the housing market spins around in NoVA, I bet he'l have more business than he can handle.

#14 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis Erskine /forum/post/21294503

In an effort to support the DIY crowd here, I will do my best to misdirect, misguide and otherwise slow down his progress.

LOL, thanks, but we're really pulling for him here. I for one, understand my limitations and am comfortable with them. Building a theater is all about trade-offs, anyhow, right? :)

#19 ·
Forget about where in the world is Matt Lauer. This is way more exciting! On to BIGger and better builds.

#21 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by damelon /forum/post/21294253

I think he needs a sticker or a fabric patch or something.

"Built BIG" or "Big Built" could be the brand. haha.

How about: "I went BIG!"

Reactions: impreza276
#24 ·
Well I'm at about the same point currently in my build. Hmmmmm......what can I get done in the next 8 days? I feel a competition brewing. Although I'm at an embarrassing disadvantage

#26 ·
Whoooo Hoooooo!!!!!!!!! I'm in baby! Can't wait to see this one come together. Go getem' Big and Mr. anonymous builder guy.

Regards,

RTROSE

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.