Arris Whole Home Gateway with FIOS? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 2 Old 02-05-2015, 10:34 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Arris Whole Home Gateway with FIOS?

Hello all -

I found an Arris PVR for sale recently, and the thought came to mind about whether if one bought this unit (and their equivalent of a mate, of course) if you could pop in a cable card and get it working with your carrier. I have FIOS so I doubt it, but wanted to pick the collective brains of the group here.

As I understand it, the PVR itself acts as the media hub for the home, and holds the hard drive and tuners. Then it apportions them based on the number of home portals attached to it (either via MoCA or Ethernet). But is the software "branded", and if you call your provider, give them the MAC address and other relevant data on the unit, couldn't they conceivably authenticate it?

Last question: do you know if a Moxi Mate or main DVR could communicate with this device as well?

Thanks!

Need to know which drive(s) will or won't work in your Moxi? Discuss at the Official Moxi Hard Drive Replacement Thread
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 02-06-2015, 10:02 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by chief-j View Post
Hello all -

I found an Arris PVR for sale recently, and the thought came to mind about whether if one bought this unit (and their equivalent of a mate, of course) if you could pop in a cable card and get it working with your carrier. I have FIOS so I doubt it, but wanted to pick the collective brains of the group here.

As I understand it, the PVR itself acts as the media hub for the home, and holds the hard drive and tuners. Then it apportions them based on the number of home portals attached to it (either via MoCA or Ethernet). But is the software "branded", and if you call your provider, give them the MAC address and other relevant data on the unit, couldn't they conceivably authenticate it?

Last question: do you know if a Moxi Mate or main DVR could communicate with this device as well?

Thanks!
I had the Arris Gateway with Shaw in Canada. It worked well, but did have branded software. I still have the unit but am not using it right now (got rid of Shaw), so would be interested to know if they can be "unlocked" for use on other content.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Recorders (PVRs) General

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page