1Likes
  • 1 Post By Josh128

post #1 of 10 Old 03-23-2017, 05:40 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 26
OTA DVR with no internet?

My brother lives in the sticks and has no access to broadband internet. He had a Tivo Premiere which got its guide data through his phone line (Tivo phone to USB adapter). With Tivo's sale to Rovi, they converted their data and no longer support this setup.

Brother is hooked on the ease of DVR recording and is looking for a replacement for the Tivo.

Is there a unit that gets its data OTA as broadcast from the stations? Or that can otherwise get guide data without an internet connection? Ideally he'd like 2 tuners, so he can record one and watch one (or record 2).

Does such an animal exist?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 03-23-2017, 07:25 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 26
So, after doing a little research, Channel Master indicates that with no internet connection, their DVR runs with 2 days of PSIP programming data provided in the channel guide. Looks like it has 2 tuners as well. Are there any others?
post #3 of 10 Old 06-06-2017, 10:00 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 2810 Post(s)
Liked: 2577
Dish w/ota tuner?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 Old 06-28-2017, 09:56 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 957 Post(s)
Liked: 527
BTW: Perhaps he would be interested in getting Internet via Satellite, starting at $50/mo:
http://www.reviews.org/internet-serv...rnet-providers
post #5 of 10 Old 07-28-2017, 06:45 AM

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 27
The less expensive TV converter boxes (Homeworx, iview, Ematic, etc) don't have internet connectivity. They get their program information from the broadcast signal. A lot of broadcasters are kind of spotty on how much information they provide and how far ahead they show programming information. None of it goes past 24 hours that I have seen.

Is the Tivo capable of accessing this information included in the broadcast signal? If not, your brother should still be able to look up schedule information in TV Guide or sites like Titan.tv. He would then be able to program recordings by channel, time and date. That's how I do it with my cheap little Ematic converter box and it works just fine.
post #6 of 10 Old 11-07-2017, 09:08 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis_D View Post
The less expensive TV converter boxes (Homeworx, iview, Ematic, etc) don't have internet connectivity. They get their program information from the broadcast signal. A lot of broadcasters are kind of spotty on how much information they provide and how far ahead they show programming information. None of it goes past 24 hours that I have seen.

Is the Tivo capable of accessing this information included in the broadcast signal? If not, your brother should still be able to look up schedule information in TV Guide or sites like Titan.tv. He would then be able to program recordings by channel, time and date. That's how I do it with my cheap little Ematic converter box and it works just fine.
He has NO INTERNET!
post #7 of 10 Old 12-26-2017, 07:01 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 840 Post(s)
Liked: 329
Try the HDTV DVR forum;
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/42-hdtv-recorders/

Recording free OTA TV for 'time shifting' has been here since 1975. Will there be DVR's to do the same when ATSC3 obsoletes existing DVR's??
post #8 of 10 Old 08-05-2018, 04:04 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 260 Post(s)
Liked: 106
Channel Master + works fine with no internet, but you only get about 12 hours of program guide. You can still schedule recordings for certain days of the week and times, Ive been using mine like this for about 4 years and its fine.
merman9393 likes this.

Displays: Samsung PN51F5300BFXA, PN51F4500AFXA, PN51F4500BFXA

post #9 of 10 Old 11-29-2018, 12:36 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked: 62
For those who stumble across this thread, looking for a simple DVR but have no internet access, I agree with other members that the I-view, Homeworx, and Ematic devices seem to be the only remaining systems available.

The ChannelMaster DVR+ was the king in this market, with a well thought out design, premium hardware, and a serious amount of fans. Unfortunately it has been dis-continued, but, there is a thriving used market for these. As they access PSIP data, (coming from the same signal as the TV broadcast), they still have functionality after the TiVo/ROVI issue the OP mentioned. These devices can demand a high price when found in the used market, so be forewarned.

ChannelMaster does have a cheaper alternative to a used DVR+, the CM-7004, it has a single tuner,
records to a USB stick, is easy to operate, and does not require an Internet service for guide data. It regularly goes on sale for $49, but is most often sold at $69, and is not necessarily any better than the iview, or Homeworx devices that are less expensive.

https://www.channelmaster.com/Conver..._p/cm-7004.htm
post #10 of 10 Old 12-01-2018, 08:32 AM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by merman9393 View Post
For those who stumble across this thread, looking for a simple DVR but have no internet access, I agree with other members that the I-view, Homeworx, and Ematic devices seem to be the only remaining systems available.

The ChannelMaster DVR+ was the king in this market, with a well thought out design, premium hardware, and a serious amount of fans. Unfortunately it has been dis-continued, but, there is a thriving used market for these. As they access PSIP data, (coming from the same signal as the TV broadcast), they still have functionality after the TiVo/ROVI issue the OP mentioned. These devices can demand a high price when found in the used market, so be forewarned.

ChannelMaster does have a cheaper alternative to a used DVR+, the CM-7004, it has a single tuner,
records to a USB stick, is easy to operate, and does not require an Internet service for guide data. It regularly goes on sale for $49, but is most often sold at $69, and is not necessarily any better than the iview, or Homeworx devices that are less expensive.

https://www.channelmaster.com/Conver..._p/cm-7004.htm
Just chiming in to say thanks for the summary of current status. I stumbled across this thread after finding out pretty much the same stuff you did, so just seconding this opinion.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Recorders (PVRs) General

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page