need new pvr - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 06-20-2018, 09:59 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
need new pvr

last night lightning took out my old and trusty Magnavox MDR513H they seem to no longer make this model so my question is what's available today that is similar to my old Magnavox? I record ota and from satellite but no interest in getting dvr for satellite company. thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 06-29-2018, 03:16 PM

Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by h7xx View Post
last night lightning took out my old and trusty Magnavox MDR513H they seem to no longer make this model so my question is what's available today that is similar to my old Magnavox? I record ota and from satellite but no interest in getting dvr for satellite company. thanks in advance.
.. sadly.. basically nothing, you can check Amazon or eBay for a used or old stock 513, they ocasionally still show up, but they stopped making them about 2 years ago

.. one direction would be to buy a tivo with a lifetime subscription (used they are cheaper) and learn to use the pc download feature if you really want to burn discs

.. but nothing, not even a used 513 will be in the same price range
post #3 of 6 Old 07-01-2018, 09:50 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwillis84 View Post
.. sadly.. basically nothing, you can check Amazon or eBay for a used or old stock 513, they ocasionally still show up, but they stopped making them about 2 years ago

.. one direction would be to buy a tivo with a lifetime subscription (used they are cheaper) and learn to use the pc download feature if you really want to burn discs

.. but nothing, not even a used 513 will be in the same price range
not pc savy. who makes pvr that operates like my old 513? I liked it and was use to the way it worked.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 Old 07-01-2018, 12:33 PM

Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by h7xx View Post
not pc savy. who makes pvr that operates like my old 513? I liked it and was use to the way it worked.
.. well that's the thing today.. nobody makes anything like the hdd/dvd combos anymore.. Magnavox made the last ones mdr865/867/868 in 2015 and then left the market they go used on eBay for 500 usd or more (really more than less), a really old 513 can fetch nearly that much.. they were great machines, nobody disputes that.. but new comers have never seen anything like them.. so there is no market for them, except for old timers with experience

.. dvd burners were really only for pre-Digital resolution recording, Blu-Ray was basically outlawed in the US for burning discs except from a pc.. so nobody made a hdd/dvd recorder that could record Digital resolution to Blu-Ray

.. all of the dvd blanks are disappearing, they only held about 5 GB of data, blu-ray held 25+ GB of data .. but they didn't really ever catch on.. people just started recording to hdd or downloading from Netflix.. its hard to not be pc savy these days

.. beware the cheap chinese hdd recorders for 30 usd.. they are no where near what the 513 was and they will make you burning mad.. angry really.. with frustration from trying to use them

.. its easy to say "give up".. but really most people went to using HD Tivo over a long time.. and buying one used to get a cheap lifetime subscription to avoid the monthly fees. If you still want to burn discs, dvd or blu-ray.. the Tivo will let you download pre-Digital resolution recording to a network connected pc.. but then you have to find a pc with a dvd or blu-ray recorder, and find the dvd or blu-ray blanks and use software to burn it.. its a lot of trouble. Hollywood however has started blocking many recordings entirely so you can't even download many recordings, Tivo has to follow Hollywood Law.. which will probably lead to the demise of Tivo sooner than later.. its all in a death spiral now

.. ahh.. you also have a problem

.. among the hdd/dvd combos, the mdr513 was considered "bullet proof" as one of the best models (ever) made, all those before it and all those that came after it were considered in some ways inferior and not as "good".. so your spoiled.. if you really like it.. there are people who repair mdr513 models, the manufacturer no longer sells spare parts, but collectors will buy the dead unit for a good deal of money and then use it for parts and rebuild other ones.. if your "lucky" its only the hdd that's died and those can be replaced fairly easily.. but the dvd burners, though nearly "immortal" in that model.. did eventually fade and die, usually from unfiltered power from the wall outlet.. people learned to place expensive uninterruptable computer power supplys between them and the wall.. to protect the 513.. but not until the power company sacrificed a lot of them

.. if its still plugged in.. direct to the wall.. "run" do not "walk" to pull the power plug from the wall

.. whatever you do, don't just throw it out.. that 513 can probably bring more on eBay than you originally paid for it.. (a lot more).. the price they originally charged for those was considered the "steal of the century".. carefully place it in a box and set it aside and go look up the 513 on the web and read old eBay sales.. your eyeballs will probably pop out before your done.. even dead.. the body is worth a lot.. and will probably only appreciate over a few years

.. to solve your original problem though.. (1) First try to find someone who can fix your mdr513, or trade it in for one that still works (2) Watch eBay and play the lottery to get one that still works.. you need a lot of patience, luck and experience with failure and frustration.. but its probably your best option. Beware the Scam artists on eBay.. they are legion.. and they will claim ignorance.. [Tested] is nearly a keyword for "fake" or "it doesn't work at all" (3) once the grieving is over, studying done.. you can let go the one you have full knowing nothing will replace it.. basically they are outlawed in all 50 states now

.. I keep mentioning Tivo, but for a reason (1) you mention satellite (2) your trying to avoid the dvr the providers "rent".. Tivo exists because it is an alternative. The satellite and cable providers [ironically] have to "rent" Tivo's patent portfolio.. it a death lock on both.. so they reluctantly have to let Tivo "exist".. for now. Tivo lets / helps you offload recordings to a pc.. as a feature unique to them. And Tivo has to keep improving or they're dead. Tivo is moving to the "internet cloud" going hardware less in its latest offering.. but the old Tivo recorders still sell on eBay with lifetime subscriptions for low cost.. close to the original 513 price.. if you can learn to use them.. and if dvd blanks dry up.. you can still save recordings to a hard disk.. or learn to burn to blu-ray.. all this keeps your options [open] where there are no other options like what your use to available now.. the mdr513 is gone, only used recycles will ever be available.. and there is nothing else on the market.. and they aren't coming back

Last edited by jwillis84; 07-01-2018 at 01:24 PM.
post #5 of 6 Old 07-02-2018, 11:28 AM - Thread Starter

I don't really do any burning. and don't want to pay subscription. so TiVo will work sort of like my 513? what's the lifetime subscription thing?
post #6 of 6 Old 11-18-2019, 10:32 AM - Thread Starter

which TiVo fits my needs?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Recorders (PVRs) General

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page